White Lightning Clean Ride Lube

4.29/5 (7 Reviews)

Americas #1 selling Bicycle Lubricant has a new name while stilloffering its legendary performance, White Lightning OriginalSelf-Cleaning Lube is now White Lightning Clean Ride. Recently chemists and cyclists hunkered down inThe lab and wentTo work.The result is a durable self-cleaning lubeThat will not build-up inThe cassette, derailleur pulleys, or links of a chain. Forget G3 & G4! Theyve gone backTo basics, and quite literally perfectedThe Original White Lightning formula.The best selling

Submitted by gsmith462 a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: July 30, 2016

Strengths:    Very easy to clean, keeps drive train quiet and shifting smooth. The first half of the product duration gives a very silent drive train.

Weaknesses:    Does not last really long, not bad though. Kind of annoying that you are better off applying 24 hours in advance or at least the night before. I actually keep a small bottle of it in my saddle bag for extra long rides.

Bottom Line:
1st,I don't ride in wet conditions and generally no colder than 55-60 degrees F. I also shop for lubricants specifically designed to keep your drive train clean so that eliminates many of the options out there. I always follow the manufacturer 's application directions including starting with a clean chain, not just wiped down.

Last season I used Pro-Link and swore by it simply because it seemed to be the cleanest lube I had ever used. I found out the mineral spirits in it was breaking down the poly carbonate plastic on my e-thirteen roller chain guide so I had to either get a new guide or start shopping for a new lube. E-thirteen actually has a list of compatible lubes, all of which contain no mineral spirits so I gave Clean Ride a shot.

I keep my drive train very clean so I hate the black greasy sludge that some chain lubes turn into. Pro link would somewhat do this but some of that was the mineral spirits breaking down the rubber roller wheel on my chain guide. With Clean ride the black sludge is GONE. After it sets up and dries there are no wet oils to attract dirt, the chain is literally dry when you start out. My average ride is 20-25 miles and after I get home and inspect my drive train the chain just has light amounts of black colored dry wax build up on the chain plates, not much at all, but because it is a dry lube the chain is completely dry still and won't make a mess of you if you touch it.

I get much lower mileage between lubes with my chain guide no matter what I use due to the chain constantly rolling over the rubber roller wheel. Pro link I could get maybe 25 miles before I would hear a chirp out of my chain. With the clean ride it depends on how dusty the trail is. An average ride yields me about 20 miles before I hear an occasional chirp out of my chain. Keep in mind, the Clean ride is best applied several hours before going out for a ride which can be a bit annoying in the beginning until you adjust your habits. Usually the last thing I want to do after going for a ride is clean my drive train and lube my chain, with Pro link I was used to doing that right before my ride which brings me to the best part of Clean ride.

Cleaning the drive train: Literally after 3 or 4 rides I pull my cassette and chain, scrub it down with soapy water until it's spotless and wipe the derailleur pulleys and crank rings. When not doing the full cleaning I wipe the chain with paper towel or a rag until the rag is mostly clean after wiping. With Pro link I could go through 2 half sheets of paper towel just to get the wet, black greasy-ness off. Then I would apply a drop to each link and wipe it again with another 1 or 2 half sheets and by then the chain was clean enough to apply the final coat if you will. With Clean ride the chain hardly has anything on it after that 20 mile average ride. I wipe the entire chain clean with a half sheet of paper towel. The lube is dry so no greasy mess, at most you feel the waxy residue on your fingers but it washes up with soap easily. Just like the Pro link I spin the chain through the towel to make sure it's clean but I don't need to apply the lube to clean the chain like I would with Pro link, the chain is already clean enough and ready for the main application, 1 drop per link and let it set for at least a few hours and that's it. If you were in a rush and couldn't let it set for hours you can still apply and ride to an extent, maybe give it a half hour if possible. I called White Lightning and inquired about ways to increase mileage between applications and it was suggested that I apply a light 2nd coat to each link just before going out and that has helped the 2 times I have done it, now closer to the 25 or so miles I would get with Pro link.

In the beginning I would apply Clean ride 20 minutes before heading out and wondered why I would only get 13 miles before my chain was slightly chirping, the instructions just say you need to let it dry before riding and it looks dry pretty quick after application honestly. When I talked to customer service at White Lightning and they told me apply it the night before I wanted to say I don't care about my chain guide, I am going back to Pro link. Then I did my thorough cleaning of my drive train and when I saw how little to no mess there was with the Clean ride I re thought giving up on it. Now here I am, (2) 4oz bottles of Clean ride down and I just picked up (3) 8-ounce bottles of it so I don't have to worry about picking up more for a long time.

If you love a clean drive train and hate the black greasy mess that comes with cleaning said drive train than Clean ride may be your answer. I have read that it's not good in wet conditions, White Lightning has a different lube for that it that's your thing. I used to dread cleaning my chain and cassette but now it's no longer messy no matter how dirty and dusty the ride was.

Purchased At:   Nashbar

Similar Products Used:   Pro-Gold Pro-Link

Submitted by Mike a Cross Country Rider

Date Reviewed: July 10, 2016

Strengths:    Keeps your chain clean while you ride and does not attract dirt and grime.

Weaknesses:    Getting expensive up here in Canada!

Bottom Line:
I have used this lube for many years, much of what you read here is true. It does a great job in dry conditions as long as you use lots of it frequently, and I mean it should be applied after just about every 20 km and use LOTS of it.
That being said it's getting expensive up here in Alberta, I used to get their large bottle (about 400ml or so) for about $17-20 and I was ok with paying it because of the quality and effectiveness of the lube and it's easy clean up.
Now I can only get the small bottles (about 200ml) for the same price and it's not as great a value as it used to be.
Great Lube but the small bottles are a rip off as far as I'm concerned, I'm now trying Muc-Off Dry.
Just a quick take away here, I'm getting a little choked with our local bike shops up here as they are turning into overpriced boutiques, they need to come back down to earth, cycling is supposed to be affordable!

Similar Products Used:   Pedro's ICE, Finish Line Teflon,

Bike Setup:   2004 Specialized Epic Comp. (Still going strong!)

Submitted by Tillers_Rule a Cross Country Rider

Date Reviewed: October 4, 2012

Strengths:    Clean, quiet drivetrain

Weaknesses:    Life

Bottom Line:
I've been using this stuff for a few years now and have come to really like it. I apply it before or after each ride. Applying immediately before the ride works well. However, applying it the night before, giving it some time to penetrate works excellent.

Favorite Trail:   Lake Hodges

Duration Product Used:   5 years

Purchased At:   Jenson USA

Bike Setup:   Cross county, full suspension, 2x10 drivetrain.

Submitted by Gear_Junkie a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: July 10, 2012

Strengths:    It makes for a quiet drivetrain and lasts fairly long.

Weaknesses:    I didn’t like how it built up on the drivetrain or how long it takes to set up.

Bottom Line:
I have been testing several of the top recommended chain lubes (ProGold ProLink, White Lightning Clean Ride, and Squirt – a review is written for each one), to try and find the best lube for ME and MY typical riding conditions. Typically, I ride my Fuel EX 8 about 60% on the road (I use it to commute), and 40% on dusty and rocky trails. I don’t typically encounter water, and I specifically avoided it for this test, to keep the playing field equal. Most lubes were used for 50+ miles, except for Squirt (you can read why in the review for this lube). The wax lubes were used on one chain; the dry lubes were used on another; to avoid any type of contamination. In addition, the chains were cleaned with a de-greaser, and then high pressure water, and left to dry completely before applying the lubes. All of the lubes were applied according to their specific instructions. Below are my test results:

First off, there should be a disclaimer on this lube that it should be applied at temperatures greater than 70°F. When I applied it at temperatures less than this, the tip of the applicator gunked up and it didn’t distribute itself on the chain well. When applied at the proper temperature, it distributes itself well but definitely leaves some drips that should be wiped off. I applied the lube mid-day, spun the cranks a few times, and left it to dry overnight. It applies white and dries white.

This lube is extremely quiet for the first 20 miles. It is fairly quiet for the next 20 miles. Shifting was not as crisp as with the ProGold, but still very good. After about 40 – 50 miles, the chain began to make more noise. I would say this lube is good for 40 – 50 miles for my type of riding conditions. After this amount of mileage, the chain remained fairly clean, with only a minor amount of dust on it. The drivetrain, and especially the pulley wheels on the rear derailleur, had some buildup of the lube. After applying this lube several times, there was a moderate amount of lube buildup on the drivetrain, which ends up gathering some dust/gunk. I would probably clean the drivetrain every other application.

Overall I liked this lube for how well it kept the chain clean and how long it lasted. I didn’t like how it built up on the drivetrain or how long it takes to set up.

Favorite Trail:   Empire Mine

Duration Product Used:   A few months

Purchased At:   Amazon

Similar Products Used:   Squirt

Bike Setup:   2010 Fuel EX 8, stock except Shimano XT brakes

Submitted by davmat a Weekend Warrior from Silver Spring, Md.

Date Reviewed: November 19, 2011

Strengths:    It applies easily and the wax that is left when the carrier evaporates is clearly visible on the chain. It blocks the gaps in the chain plate and rollers keeping, salt, sand and other dirt/grit out of the chain bushing area.

Weaknesses:    Needs another lube, medium weight chain oil, be applied to the center of the chain to keep a good lube on the roller/busing part of the chain.

Bottom Line:
This stuff keep the grit out of the chain bushing and on the outside of the chain. When used with a good roller lube it works great. It's easy to apply and maintain. Far better than the old school way of heating paraffin in a can and dropping a chain in the liquid wax.
I have used in on old style large metal zippers and metal luggage zippers to improve their action.

Purchased At:   REI