White Lightning Clean Ride Lube

Americas #1 selling Bicycle Lubricant has a new name while stilloffering its legendary performance, White Lightning OriginalSelf-Cleaning Lube is now White Lightning Clean Ride. Recently chemists and cyclists hunkered down inThe lab and wentTo work.The result is a durable self-cleaning lubeThat will not build-up inThe cassette, derailleur pulleys, or links of a chain. Forget G3 & G4! Theyve gone backTo basics, and quite literally perfectedThe Original White Lightning formula.The best selling

Submitted by Tillers_Rule a Cross Country Rider

Date Reviewed: October 4, 2012

Strengths:    Clean, quiet drivetrain

Weaknesses:    Life

Bottom Line:
I've been using this stuff for a few years now and have come to really like it. I apply it before or after each ride. Applying immediately before the ride works well. However, applying it the night before, giving it some time to penetrate works excellent.

Favorite Trail:   Lake Hodges

Duration Product Used:   5 years

Purchased At:   Jenson USA

Bike Setup:   Cross county, full suspension, 2x10 drivetrain.

Submitted by Gear_Junkie a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: July 10, 2012

Strengths:    It makes for a quiet drivetrain and lasts fairly long.

Weaknesses:    I didn’t like how it built up on the drivetrain or how long it takes to set up.

Bottom Line:
I have been testing several of the top recommended chain lubes (ProGold ProLink, White Lightning Clean Ride, and Squirt – a review is written for each one), to try and find the best lube for ME and MY typical riding conditions. Typically, I ride my Fuel EX 8 about 60% on the road (I use it to commute), and 40% on dusty and rocky trails. I don’t typically encounter water, and I specifically avoided it for this test, to keep the playing field equal. Most lubes were used for 50+ miles, except for Squirt (you can read why in the review for this lube). The wax lubes were used on one chain; the dry lubes were used on another; to avoid any type of contamination. In addition, the chains were cleaned with a de-greaser, and then high pressure water, and left to dry completely before applying the lubes. All of the lubes were applied according to their specific instructions. Below are my test results:

First off, there should be a disclaimer on this lube that it should be applied at temperatures greater than 70°F. When I applied it at temperatures less than this, the tip of the applicator gunked up and it didn’t distribute itself on the chain well. When applied at the proper temperature, it distributes itself well but definitely leaves some drips that should be wiped off. I applied the lube mid-day, spun the cranks a few times, and left it to dry overnight. It applies white and dries white.

This lube is extremely quiet for the first 20 miles. It is fairly quiet for the next 20 miles. Shifting was not as crisp as with the ProGold, but still very good. After about 40 – 50 miles, the chain began to make more noise. I would say this lube is good for 40 – 50 miles for my type of riding conditions. After this amount of mileage, the chain remained fairly clean, with only a minor amount of dust on it. The drivetrain, and especially the pulley wheels on the rear derailleur, had some buildup of the lube. After applying this lube several times, there was a moderate amount of lube buildup on the drivetrain, which ends up gathering some dust/gunk. I would probably clean the drivetrain every other application.

Overall I liked this lube for how well it kept the chain clean and how long it lasted. I didn’t like how it built up on the drivetrain or how long it takes to set up.

Favorite Trail:   Empire Mine

Duration Product Used:   A few months

Purchased At:   Amazon

Similar Products Used:   Squirt

Bike Setup:   2010 Fuel EX 8, stock except Shimano XT brakes

Submitted by davmat a Weekend Warrior from Silver Spring, Md.

Date Reviewed: November 19, 2011

Strengths:    It applies easily and the wax that is left when the carrier evaporates is clearly visible on the chain. It blocks the gaps in the chain plate and rollers keeping, salt, sand and other dirt/grit out of the chain bushing area.

Weaknesses:    Needs another lube, medium weight chain oil, be applied to the center of the chain to keep a good lube on the roller/busing part of the chain.

Bottom Line:
This stuff keep the grit out of the chain bushing and on the outside of the chain. When used with a good roller lube it works great. It's easy to apply and maintain. Far better than the old school way of heating paraffin in a can and dropping a chain in the liquid wax.
I have used in on old style large metal zippers and metal luggage zippers to improve their action.

Purchased At:   REI

Similar Products Used:   T-9, Pro-link

Bike Setup:   Novara Fusion commuter and Motobecane road bike. Used on real roads with different levels of dirt, salt, grit and trash.

Submitted by jakerymtb a Cross Country Rider from united kingdom

Date Reviewed: September 1, 2011

Strengths:    cleans your chain, smooth

Weaknesses:    gets dry quick

Bottom Line:
good overall lube, i love it! the only downside is that after about 20 miles or so (when its not wet) it starts to dry up very quickly. in the wet, it doesnt last that long either but it does keep your chain nice and clean. good overall lube, if only it lasted longer!!

Favorite Trail:   stuff thats good

Submitted by Bicycleez a Cross Country Rider from Pittsburgh, PA

Date Reviewed: July 27, 2011

Strengths:    Does a great job of cleaning the chain.

Weaknesses:    Doesn't last very long.

Bottom Line:
This is a decent chain lube. It is easy to apply and you don't need to wipe the chain after applying it.

The best thing about this is how it cleans your chain. Squirt some on the chain and spin your chain backwards really fast. The lube seems to bind to the grime and fling it off your chain.

Only drawback is that it doesn't last very long at all in dry conditions, forget it in wet conditions, an hour of riding tops. Does not work at all under 40 degrees, it just gums up your drivetrain. Also, if you spill some on your wheel/tire it looks like someone splooged on your bike.

Three Flamin' Chillis. This stuff is good, but there's better out there.

Purchased At:   where it is sold