Tri-Flow Superior Lubricant with Teflon Lube

4.6/5 (25 Reviews)

Tri-Flow Superior LubricantThat you know and love now in a convenient aerosol spray. Ideal for chain lubrication in all conditions SHIPPING RESTRICTIONThis item is classified “ORM-D” and cannot be shipped via air. It can only be shipped via ground shipping methods. If you addThis itemTo your cart,The list of available shipping methods will be reduced. For more variety of shipping options, consider removingThis item from your cart (or placing a separate order using a ground shipping method.)

Submitted by Kevin

Date Reviewed: August 22, 2012

Strengths:    It's a lube and it cleaned up pretty easily.

Weaknesses:    Gunks up your drivetrain like nothing else I've ever used.

Bottom Line:
Wow, I had some of this sitting around and it was in a nice bottle so I took it on a week long mtn bike trip in the backcountry. The only thing I can say positive about it was that it did lube my chain. It also gunked up EVERYTHING and I mean everything. Chain, cassette, sprokets, etc. It did clean up pretty easily but I won't ever use this again. Yes, I put it on correctly and yes, I wiped it off. It just is way to messy for me.

Submitted by Vlad a Weekend Warrior from LA

Date Reviewed: December 9, 2006

Strengths:    clean chain, penetrates well, teflon, reasonably priced, easy clean-up

Weaknesses:    attracts dirt if the chain is not wiped off clean

Bottom Line:
Tried it before on a lower end drivetrain but stopped because of chainsuck, switched to white lightning wax which seemed to help to reduce it at the time. Decided to try Tri-Flow on my new bike with XTR, boy, it's much better ride, even shifts are much crispier as compared to WL. My theory is that WL gets on cogs and it is too thick for the precision XTR components so it negatively affects the shifting. Seem it will last for at least 2-3 rides. It does attract some dirt but not much even on dusty CA trails, as others said try not to overapply and wipe off your chain clean. Staying with tri-flow.

Similar Products Used:   white lightning

Bike Setup:   04 Giant nrs-3, XTR drivetrain, mavix xc717 wheelset, xt disk brakes, xt dc shifters, etc.

Submitted by Errol a Weekend Warrior from Kenoza Lake

Date Reviewed: July 30, 2006

Strengths:    Penetrates through absolutly anything!
Very good lubrication properties.
Don't need to re-lube every week or so.

Weaknesses:    Fairly expensive but one can lasts a while.

Bottom Line:
When I bought my first bike when I was 14, the mechainic recommended TriFlow to me and now 12 years later I am still using it. I have tried other lubricants that were supposed to be the latest and greatest but I always went back to the good ol TriFlow. Other reviews say that it isnt very good for dusty trails and I guess it probably isn't but in the Catskill mountains there aren't many dusty trails so that hasen't bothered me at all. Over the years I have found about a thousand other uses for this stuff from breaking in a new pair of pliers to getting underbody bolts out of my truck. Bottom Line: It is the best penitrating lubricant. Period.

Purchased At:   Northeast Sports

Similar Products Used:   WD-40 and about a million other penetrating lubricants and greases.

Bike Setup:   Vortrieb hardtail w/ Sram drivetrain and Hope M4 disk brakes.

Submitted by Ben Briant a Cross Country Rider from Australia, Melbourne

Date Reviewed: February 4, 2006

Strengths:    Lasts long. Smells good. Does the job.

Weaknesses:    You go through it. Price..

Bottom Line:
Good lube, best i've used. Not many words to explain how good it is, but its just a good lube. Highly recommened, won't go near anything else.

Favorite Trail:   Lysterfield

Purchased At:   LBS, Bayswater Cycles

Bike Setup:   05 Giant Yukon

Submitted by Matt a Cross Country Rider from LALA land, CA

Date Reviewed: December 18, 2005

Strengths:    straw dropper puts a drop right where you need it (on every pivot of every link.) smells good--i gargle with it. lasts for a few rides.

Weaknesses:    after a few dips through the stream in dusty conditions, i start hearing some chain crunchies; but what on earth could really prevent that.

Bottom Line:
I've used this solidly for a year, and it lasts forever on my road bike. on the mtb, it can go for about 2 or 3 long rides before i re-lube. was thinking about trying other lubes, but read the other reviews and i think i'll just stick with the tri-flow. it does exactly what i ask of it and my drivetrain is just like new still. do your chain a favor and put a drop on the pivot of each link with the dropper. dont just squirt it everywhere. good for cables and brake levers... and door hinges and locks and all that other crap around the house too.

Favorite Trail:   sycamore cyn

Similar Products Used:   WD40, engine oil, sewing machine oil, silicone spray... just about everything not made for bikes.

Bike Setup:   KHS Alite 4000 hardtail, Marzocchi Marathon, Sram x.9, single digit 5's, LX crank, easton bars.

Submitted by Phantomow2 a Cross Country Rider from NH

Date Reviewed: January 20, 2005

Strengths:    Lubes your chain, excellent rust protection, lasts a long time, everything you could want out of an oil lube.

Weaknesses:    Well your drivetrain gets black pretty fast, but it isnt like big chunks of dirt or anything just does not look nice.

Bottom Line:
This is by far the best all around lube you can get. I tried ice wax but after being caught in some rain i look the next day and theres rust on my drive train, so i buy this stuff as it was recomended by my bike shop. NO rust period, even with salt on the new hampshire roads. Keep in mind it is an oil lube, it will collect dirt. But It is not a thick oil, so it does not collect as much as pedros synlube which i use for winter rides. THe stuff lasts a long time also. When i clean my chain this stuff is hard to get off, which is good becuase it tells me its hard for rain to do the same job. 5 chilis both ways.

Purchased At:   Tony's Cyclery

Submitted by Aaron a Cross Country Rider from NH

Date Reviewed: November 28, 2004

Strengths:    Lubricates well, lasts a long time.

Weaknesses:    Attracts a fair amount af dirt.

Bottom Line:
I will continue to buy this lube. Get the drop bottle.

Submitted by Brandon a Cross Country Rider from Philadelphia, Pa

Date Reviewed: July 29, 2004

Strengths:    Is a very good lubricant. The Teflon material allows my components to move freely for a very long time.

Weaknesses:    attracts a lot of dirt. after a few rides with the lubricant on my chain, my chain turns black and I have to clean it.

Bottom Line:
A very good lubricant for a fairly nice price.

Favorite Trail:   wissahickkon trail

Purchased At:   Guy's Bicycles

Similar Products Used:   WD-40 (whatever you do dont use it, isnt made for bikes)

Bike Setup:   03Mongoose Wing Comp

Submitted by Doug Gangi a Racer from Phoenix AZ USA

Date Reviewed: July 5, 2004

Strengths:    Outstanding lubrication, lasts a long time, very easy to apply to chain (with drip bottle), very easy to apply to other pivots and cables (with spray bottle), seems to last in wet conditions

Weaknesses:    Picks up dirt very easily

Bottom Line:
This is the best lube for anything besides dry, dusty conditions. I used to put TriFlow on my MTB chain, but since I ride in AZ the chain just gunked up too quickly. But even gunky, the lube continued to work. Now I use TriFlow on my road bike regularly and it works GREAT for that application -- I can go about 250 miles before I need to lube the chain again.

I also use TriFlow on many other parts of the bike - derailleur, cables, and pedals.

TriFlow is also CHEAP and available EVERYWHERE. You can get it not only at bike shops, but it is sold at auto shops, WalMart and other discount retailers for about $3.

As an overall lube I give TriFlow 5 flamin' chilis because it simply works. Just be careful about using TriFlow in dry, dusty conditions. Despite what others claim, there is NO lube that works "in all conditions". Pick a lube made for your specific situation.

Purchased At:   Anywhere

Similar Products Used:   Most other lubes out there

Bike Setup:   Misc bikes over the years with 8- and 9-speed Shimano drivetrain

Submitted by Nitish Nag a Cross Country Rider from Fremont, CA

Date Reviewed: December 18, 2003

Strengths:    Great Lubrication, Doesnt gum up fast. Easy Application, Wax does its job. Not as heavy as White Lightling.

Weaknesses:    Kind of expensive.

Bottom Line:
This is an awesome lube and is by far the best one that i have used. It is a bit pricy, but well worth it. never gummed up or became black. always clean. Just once every week does the job for me. Smells nice.....

Favorite Trail:   Skeggs Point

Purchased At:   Jenson USA

Similar Products Used:   Triflow, finish Line, White Lightning. WD-40 (yea, wen u got no other choice), pedros

Bike Setup:   03 Blur, XTR, 5th Air

Submitted by Jim a Cross Country Rider from Carlisle, PA

Date Reviewed: October 26, 2003

Strengths:    This lube penetrates very well and does a nice job of keeping everything running smoothly. Doesn't wash off...

Weaknesses:    ... but it does attract a fair amount of dirt. Makes the chain black.

Bottom Line:
This is a pretty good lube (a whole lot better than Finish Line crap). My bottle is almost empty so I think I'll start using Pro Link because I've heard it's pretty good.

Favorite Trail:   Singletrack

Similar Products Used:   Finish Line Teflon Plus Dry Lube (CRAP!!!)

Bike Setup:   Trek Fuel 90

Submitted by louis edwards a Weekend Warrior from USA

Date Reviewed: April 2, 2003

Strengths:    best lube i've tried for ease of shifting. long life. economical (if used correctly). easy to find, almost all shops carry it. great for cables and derailleur pivots, too.
included straw makes it easy to put a small amount of lube exactly where it's needed.

Weaknesses:    picks up some dirt, but this can be minimized by putting one drop on each link and spinning the pedals to work it in, then wipe off the excess. only apply lube to a clean chain, putting lube over dirt just drives gunk into links.

Bottom Line:
my favorite of all the lubes tried so far. the key with any lube is to apply it correctly. after reading posts for many of the different lubes rated here, it seems that some owners don't know how to do this. first of all, the chain MUST be clean. my favorite cleaning method is to use a mason jar with some citrus degreaser in it. the SRAM powerlink makes it easy to remove the chain. shake the jar for a few seconds, then let it set so the degreaser can finish its' job. use compressed air to dry chain (if it's available) otherwise swing the chain overhead to get most of the degreaser out, then let it set in the sun. re-assemble on bike, then put ONE DROP on each link. over-lubing will kill chains just as quickly as running dry, because it catches grit. spin chain and run through gears, then wipe dry. let set overnight, then wipe one more time before riding. sounds tedious, but it's not, and your chains will last a lot longer. my chain show less than 1/32" wear in a year's time. use the included straw to lube your cables and derailleur pivots. the results of all this will be one sweet shifting, quiet drivetrain.

Favorite Trail:   too many to list

Similar Products Used:   white lightning, pedro's ice wax, prolink.

Bike Setup:   fisher hardtail with SRAM chain and cassette.

Submitted by Ben Martin a Cross Country Rider from Santa Rosa

Date Reviewed: November 20, 2002

Strengths:    Stops those squeks and keeps everything moving with little friction

Bottom Line:
Good Lube. A bit exspensive. Use it!