Squirtlube Long-Lasting Dry Lube

4.32/5 (22 Reviews)

Long-lasting Squirt Dry Lube does not gather dirt. This effective wax/water emulsion improves shifting, reduces irritating dry chain noise, and prolongs the life of your drivetrain by reducing friction and chainsuck.

Submitted by jparman a Cross Country Rider

Date Reviewed: January 23, 2013

Strengths:    Used this in some mud, sand and other crud and got great results. Much better than the R&R blue/yellow that I was using and way better than boeshield.

Weaknesses:    none that i've experienced so far

Bottom Line:
So I was surprised at some of the reviews that I read - I didn't have the same experience. I was using a combination lube prior to this - first was a complete degrease, then an application of boeshield. allow to dry and then an application of blue R&R w/ a good wipedown. The reason for the boeshield first is because R&R never really penetrated or quieted down the squeaks. This worked pretty well or well enough to keep me satisfied until I tried squirt. I applied it over the chain w/o a degrease at first and got good results. Shortly after I applied it after a complete clean/degrease and I got stellar results including a quiet drive. Love not having to worry about the sand and grit and decent length of performance per application. This is the lube that I am going to be using go-forward unless I find something that is easier to work with and/or lasts longer.

Submitted by Gear_Junkie a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: July 10, 2012

Strengths:    It's easy to apply and distributes itself well.

Weaknesses:    This lube slows down shifting. It builds up quickly on the gears, pulley wheels, rear derailleur arm, and on the outside of the inner links. It is NOT long-lasting.

Bottom Line:
I have been testing several of the top recommended chain lubes (ProGold ProLink, White Lightning Clean Ride, and Squirt – a review is written for each one), to try and find the best lube for ME and MY typical riding conditions. Typically, I ride my Fuel EX 8 about 60% on the road (I use it to commute), and 40% on dusty and rocky trails. I don’t typically encounter water, and I specifically avoided it for this test, to keep the playing field equal. Most lubes were used for 50+ miles, except for Squirt (you can read why in the review for this lube). The wax lubes were used on one chain; the dry lubes were used on another; to avoid any type of contamination. In addition, the chains were cleaned with a de-greaser, and then high pressure water, and left to dry completely before applying the lubes. All of the lubes were applied according to their specific instructions. Below are my test results:

I was really hopeful for this lube, and thought it would be my favorite based on the reviews that it’s gotten, and the praise it got from one of the guys at the local bike shop. This lube applies easily, but it is very thick. It applies yellow, and dries clear in about an hour or so. Per the directions, I applied it heavily to the chain and spun the cranks a few times. Based on its thickness, I thought it was going to end up looking gloppy on the chain like the white lightning did. However, the next morning, the lube appeared to distribute itself evenly, and there were no glops on the chain. It did not set up as “dry” as the White Lightning. It dried to a consistency somewhere between a wet lube and a dry lube.

This lube is extremely quiet for the first couple miles. It is fairly quiet for the next 10 miles. Shifting was noticeably less crisp than with the other 2 lubes. After about 20 miles, the chain began to make a lot of noise and shifting was noticeably affected. I was very surprised by this and did another heavy application and let it sit until the next morning. Again, the lube appeared to distribute itself well, with no glops. I experienced the same results as before. I would say this lube is only good for 20 miles for my type of riding conditions. Also, the chain and drivetrain definitely gunked up with this lube. I found that it built up more than the White Lightning. There was quite a bit of buildup on the gears, pulley wheels, rear derailleur arm, and on the outside of the inner links. It was definitely the dirtiest of the 3 lubes I tested.

Obviously, I am extremely disappointed with this lube and would not recommend it. Other than the ease of application, this lube didn’t do it for me.

Favorite Trail:   Empire Mine

Similar Products Used:   White Lightning Clean Ride

Bike Setup:   2010 Fuel EX 8, stock except Shimano XT brakes

Submitted by motofix

Date Reviewed: June 20, 2012

Strengths:    Works like nothing else.

Weaknesses:    none so far

Bottom Line:
This is just the best lube I have ever used hands down. Works like White Lightning, but last 3-4 times longer. Need to use way less also. Doesn't wash off in the rain and keeps the mud out.

Submitted by damagr a Cross Country Rider from Los Angeles

Date Reviewed: December 17, 2011

Strengths:    Long lasting, lubes chain

Weaknesses:    None yet

Bottom Line:
Previous wax-based lubes I've used don't penetrate the links. Petrol-based penetrate, but didn't last very long. Squirt does both, it's incredible. Even though it's wax-based, it's liquid, doesn't clog in the bottle and doesn't gob up when applied to a cold chain. Weird to submit a review about chain lube, but this stuff is so much better than anything else I've tried I had to hoot about it.

Favorite Trail:   Dirt away from cars

Similar Products Used:   Boeshield, ProLink, Tri Flow, etc.

Submitted by willevans a Racer from Atlanta, GA

Date Reviewed: October 21, 2011

Strengths:    Works. Keeps a quiet drivetrain and doesn't cover the back of your bike in black tar spots. Works in the rain and in the dust. Greatly reduces the buildup of crud on my derailleur pulleys. I use it on my road and mountain bikes.

Weaknesses:    Expensive when compared to the home brew I was using.

Bottom Line:
Worth it if you want to minimize abrasive particles sticking to your chain and wearing stuff out.

Favorite Trail:   Fort Yargo

Purchased At:   Roswell Bikes

Similar Products Used:   Pedros, Finish Line, Dumond.

Bike Setup:   XC hardtail for racing and road bike for training.

Submitted by lapinGTI a Cross Country Rider from Bromont

Date Reviewed: June 27, 2011

Strengths:    Good lubrification, stay as other have said.

Weaknesses:    Wont come off when cleaning with soap, need real degreseaser. I only use bio dish washer soap to clean my bike, work perfectly. But not with this lube... For that i prefer Pedros Wax, if you give it time to dry it stay just as well as squirt lube, but can be clean a lot easyer!

Cleaning easily is important, when you clean you bike after each ride...

Bottom Line:
Wont buy, i may drop the remining bottle to garbage! That tell you how much i love it...

Favorite Trail:   Bromont

Similar Products Used:   Pedros ice wax, White lightning.

Bike Setup:   XX, X0, Hard tail cross country bike.

Submitted by endurance rider a Racer from Aspen, Co.

Date Reviewed: January 2, 2011

Strengths:    Squirt Lube is the most amazing chain lubricant I have ever used. EVERY rider in the Brck Epic seemed to be using this stuff, and these rides are long and very demanding on a drive train. BIG rides through dry, wet, snow, streams, muddy conditions and I never relubed once during a days ride! It should be applied the eve before and allowed to dry, especially in cold conditions, but it NEVER comes off the drive train!

Weaknesses:    NONE

Bottom Line:
All other wax lubes do not even come close to the performance of Squirt Lube, don't waste your money on anything else, trust me.

Purchased At:   Mountain Pedaler

Submitted by TTTURNER a Cross Country Rider from La Quinta, CA

Date Reviewed: June 30, 2010

Strengths:    Lasts better than any other lube in extreme dust. Non-toxic. A bottle goes a long way.

Weaknesses:    It takes a while to dry. Not as clean as other lubes. The slimmy application will scare some people. Don't worry, it will dry up leaving a superior protective barrier.

Bottom Line:
I needed a lube to last on the Idyllwild 24hr course during the summer. The trail has a dry "moondust" that eats drivetrains. All other lubes (Prolink, RocknRoll, White Lightning, Dumonde, Finish Line) are done after about 20 miles. Squirtlube lasts the whole ride and my drivetrain shifts better and stays quiet.

Favorite Trail:   Buhoff

Similar Products Used:   You name it!

Bike Setup:   Turner Flux Prototype, Fox(Push)Front and Rear, Sram XO/ XTR Mix.

Submitted by derby a Cross Country Rider from Marin County

Date Reviewed: March 30, 2010

Strengths:    Easy to apply right before a ride, and no need to wipe off.

Weaknesses:    Noisy at first with new drive train after 15 miles, but stays quiet much longer after a few weeks.

Bottom Line:
Just completed a 1 year test.

In 2 weeks I'll have 1 year staring on a new drivetrain set of FSA rings, XT cogs and SRAM 971 chain using only Squirt dry lube.

I'm amazed to say there is no more than 1/32 wear at most in 12 inches measuring various points around the chain. I really can't see any measurable wear, but there must be a little.

I never cleaned my chain after putting it on new and cleaning off the grease that the chain came with. At first there was some increasingly loud chain noise after about 12 to 15 miles of light dusty spring season trail conditions, and I had to stop and give another dose of Squirt to the chain to ride further without noise. But after a few weeks the lube packed in and the chain broke in and I haven't noticed an excessively noisy chain in less than 25 miles.

We had an especially muddy winter in NorCal coastal range this year. I expected this dry lube would cause chain suck worse than many prior years using Dumond Tech. But besides a few minor sucks in both dry or muddy conditions while shifting to the granny no terminal suck ever occurred, unlike my experience with Dumonde Tech on the worse chain mud-caked days. I guess the Squirt dry lube packed inside the chain for many months without cleaning prevented mud from entering.

I'm convinced Squirt is the best I've ever used. And it's the easiest to apply. No need to wipe off after application, there are no solvents "cleaning the chain" as it is applied. The excess wax flakes off while riding and with it surface dirt. My chain looks very dirty now, but my cogs look clean compared to a wet lube, and this is after a year of never cleaning other than a dry brush a few times knocking dirt off. And unlike any other lube I've tried before, no measured wear that I could see using a 12" ruler. Wow!

Favorite Trail:   Gooseberry Mesa

Purchased At:   Universalcycles.com

Similar Products Used:   White Lighting, Pedros Ice, Dumonde Tech, Tri-Flow

Bike Setup:   Mojo Carbon 650b XC/AM coil suspension 2.3 tires, short stem wide bar, remote drop seat (AMP)

Submitted by snowryder a Racer from Denver, CO, USA

Date Reviewed: March 6, 2010

Strengths:    Despite Squirts kinky name, I just love this stuff. I've thrown everything at this stuff. It just works, from a Fruita to the Colorado Trail to Trails in the wet trails of Glyncorrwg (Wales). Its my lube of choice for cyclocross, it keeps the sand from collecting on the chain. Shifting is ultra smooth with Squirt, even when conditions turn muddy. I have every lube out there on my shelf, however I ALWAYS reach for Squirt. I've abandoned White Lightning - never seems to last. Dumonde Tech collects dust and attracts sand like a magnet. If you only want to mess with one lube...pick up a bottle of Squirt lube from you local bike shop.

Weaknesses:    I wish it came in bigger bottles, since I also use this stuff on my wife's bike.

Bottom Line:
If your LBS doesn't carry it, get them to order some. Try it out and fall in love!

Favorite Trail:   Colorado Trail

Purchased At:   Green Mountain Sport

Similar Products Used:   Tri-flow, Park Tool CL-1, White Lightning (Epic, Clean, & Easy), and Dumonde Tech.

Bike Setup:   Yeti 575 (XT), Yeti ARCX (Ritchey & Ultegra), and Yeti ASRc (XTR)

Submitted by chcmuzza a Cross Country Rider from New Zealand

Date Reviewed: February 18, 2010

Strengths:    Long lasting, works well, chain keeps clean.

Weaknesses:    Need to leave for 10x minutes before riding, doesn't penetrate as well in colder weather

Bottom Line:
I have used this for over 12x months having switched from Prolink gold, which is very good product. This is better. I have experienced NO chain suck even though the drive train is thousands of kilometres old.

I went with a group on a 50km epic (Karapoti Classic www.karapoti.co.nz). The other riders stopped after around 30km and a couple of river crossings to relube as they were suffering from chain suck in the endless granny gear climbing. I had no problems at all.

As a dry lube it is very resistant to dirt and in non-dusty conditions the drive train looks like new.

I do lube my chain often, and always from the inside on every link. Takes about 5 minutes then 10x minutes resting time. If you do this after the ride ready for next time no problems, but if you are in a rush to get out then efficacy does suffer.

Highly recommended.

Favorite Trail:   The ones I don't fall off

Purchased At:   Local bike shop

Similar Products Used:   Prolink Gold, Rock and Roll

Bike Setup:   It's got a chain

Submitted by Fatty Tire a Cross Country Rider from Salinas, Ca

Date Reviewed: January 4, 2010

Strengths:    Review

Finally a lube that just does its thing… so I can just ride my bike. With squirt I quickly wipe the dirty chain with a dry rag, squirt on some Squirt and get back on the bike. No messing around with solvents, no wiping off half the lube I put on, no changing lubes to meet conditions. This year, two bottles of Squirt have gotten me through all sorts of grueling conditions from 100 miles of wind-blown sand on Moab’s White Rim to sloppy rain in Gunnison’s Growler and from 6-days of high-alpine abuse in the Breck Epic to full-throttle XC racing onto the podium at National Championships. Simply put, I tried Squirt and am not looking back. My only gripe is for a larger bottle.

***** *****

Positing I’m tempted to put on eBay:

For Sale: Assorted chain lubricants

Price: $25

Item: Nearly a dozen assorted bike chain lubes including Pedros, Finish Line, ProGold, White Lightening. All are good lubes in nearly full bottles. I’ve simply switched to Squirt. I now use it in all conditions, so I no longer need this collection. I’ll also throw in a half-gallon of degreaser since I now just wipe-off my chain with a dry rag. Willing to trade for a couple bottles of Squirt. Serious inquiries only, please.
SG

Weaknesses:    NONE

Bottom Line:
Squirt is by far the best chain lube I've ever used. Now I know why so many pros use the stuff. Ned Overend, Travis Brown, Conrad Stoltz and the rest of the Specialized team and mechanics swear by the stuff. Seems like every cyclocross racer I know is using Squirt now as well. Squirt last longer and runs cleaner than anything else on the market and you ever have to degrease again!

Bike Setup:   IBIS Mojo SL

Submitted by Ericmopar a Cross Country Rider from Nevada

Date Reviewed: November 14, 2009

Strengths:    None here in the Mojave riding conditions.

Weaknesses:    Here in the desert, this stuff cakes badly, causing chain suck and a weird tendency for the chain to sometimes ride over the gearing, instead of dropping onto the rings during a shift.

Bottom Line:
Note: This was applied to an almost new drivetrain.

I degreased my chain and then applied the Squirt like the instructions said. I let it soak in over night and dry without wiping the excess off. I found that part of the instructions odd. All others want you to wipe the excess lube off after applying.
I noticed right away that I was getting chain suck. I hadn't had chain suck in years.
I took it for a ride anyways into the dirt of Bootleg Canyon, only to have more drivetrain issues start up.
After my first test ride, I cleaned the chain with degreaser, again, and tried again. I got the same results.
I then reapplied and tried wiping the excess off. I still got a lot of chain suck, but it didn't cake up on the sprockets and dérailleur pulleys so bad.

I cleaned my chain with degreaser yet another time, and reapplied some Rock and Roll lube, and the problems went away.

I tried other lubes like Pro Link and didn't have any problems, except dirt piling up faster than I liked on the drivetrain.

I wouldn't recommend this to a rider in dry dusty conditions.
I can't say about wet conditions it doesn't rain enough here.

Purchased At:   Sample from Interbik

Similar Products Used:   Many others. Rock and Roll Extreme is my favorite here in the desert.

Bike Setup:   Shimano SLX drivetrain.

Submitted by gooserider a Cross Country Rider from australia

Date Reviewed: May 23, 2009

Strengths:    it works
its clean
bottle will last a long time, as does the lube between applications

Weaknesses:    out of the bottle, lube seems a bit too thick to penetrate the rollers etc
may be due to low tempeatures

Bottom Line:
This lube has only been used in the dry. So far, works as promo blurb says and as users are mostly reporting. Performs better for longer than any other lube I have used before. After 150+ km of use on dry trails and sealed tracks, chain and sprockets are clean enough to not have to clean. Chain & sprockets dirty up a bit (mostly wax) and then stays at this level. Self cleaning (shedding) most likely.

Out of the bottle, lube seems too thick and had to work into rollers etc with fingers. Possibly will be better when temps higher.

Today, thinned out some lube. 2/3 lube & 1/3 water. Applied to each roller and lube was instantly drawn into roller cavities. This time i could see the lube getting into where it needs to go. Applied lube twice to get some build up as it is somewhat thinned.

Also put as much lube as i could into the derailleur idler wheel bearings without disassembling. Laid bike on side. The top idler was rattling around and noisy before. Now both are quiet and smooth but with some drag due to the wax.

Later in day, went for a ride. Best it’s been so far. Bike now a stealth machine it’s so quiet.
Gear changes are great.
Peddling seems more efficient but this is probably just psychological.

Squirt works for longer than any other lube I have tried. Simply reapplying a drop to each roller occasionally with no need to clean the chain is as good as it gets.

Hopefully, smoothness and quietness equates to chain longevity.

The more I google for reviews, the more convinced I am what I am experiencing is standard MO. This lube appears to be gaining a following and will likely dominate if this trend continues. Suggest you try and make up your own opinion. Let others know what you think, good or bad.

Similar Products Used:   Prolink (2nd best lube after Squirt), Dupont Teflon/moly/wax lube (not thick enough) & lots others

Bike Setup:   Sram, KMC chain

Submitted by MiddleRinger a Cross Country Rider from East Bay Area, Ca

Date Reviewed: April 24, 2009

Strengths:    Excellent lube. I have only about 20 miles on the chain/lube so far, but my rollers are shiny and clean! I have seen cleanish chains before, but this time it is super clean. It is also still silent. The rollers still feel smooth and everything is moving smooth.

Weaknesses:    Application is a little different. It is heavy at first so the wax needs some time to soak in...This is hardly a weakness though.
There was a little bit of buildup on the chainrings, but it was easily wiped off. This may have been a result of me applying a ton of the lube initially.

Bottom Line:
The rep at sea otter gave me a few sample bottles and a large bottle as well. I was happy with that. This lube has really impressed me...Especially considering the fact that it is water-based. I doubt many bikes shops will be stocking this stuff, but if your LBS is willing, they can order the lube. As a shop tech, I do recommend this chain lube.

Purchased At:   Guy at Sea Otter

Similar Products Used:   Rock 'n Roll & Finish Line dry lube were my previous main chain lubes.

Bike Setup:   XT drivetrain, Sram PC 991 chain.