Home | Reviews | Lube | Rohloff

Rohloff Oil Lube

4.63/5 (8 Reviews)

It is based on a synthetic oil and special DCS-additives.

Submitted by stutho a Weekend Warrior from Gower, South Wales

Date Reviewed: April 22, 2010

Strengths:    Very long lasting
Doesn't wash off even in heavy weather
A little goes a long way

Weaknesses:    This is a wet lube - as with any wet lube it will attract dust. This is the nature of wet lubes so if you are going to be riding in dusty arid conditions this is not the lube for you.

Bottom Line:
As you will note my bike uses a Rohloff hub. Bear this in mind with what follows.

I currently have 18,000+ (very wet) road miles on this bike. My first chain lasted 12,000 miles and I predict my 2nd chain will do just as well. The high mileage is no doubt mainly dew to a lack of a de-railer BUT merit must also be given to the lube. This stuff stick to the chain in all weathers - It rains ever 2nd day here and this lube give much better performance than any other wet lube I have tried + you can be very sparing with each application which means that one small bottle goes a long way

Favorite Trail:   Cefn Bryn

Purchased At:   SJS Cycles

Similar Products Used:   Purple Extreme, Finish Line wet, Pedros Syn

Bike Setup:   Thorn RST with a Rohloff hub.

Submitted by Pulse- a Cross Country Rider from Poland, Tuchola

Date Reviewed: June 5, 2008

Strengths:    last longer on the chain than other chain lubes

Weaknesses:    price

Bottom Line:
perfect lube, very efficient 50ml = ~ 5000km I guess I will stick to rohloff, perfect lube!

Purchased At:   bike-center.pl

Similar Products Used:   finish line

Bike Setup:   simplon mython, reba race, xt, slr xc gel

Submitted by luis a Racer from Canarias ( Spain)

Date Reviewed: February 13, 2008

Strengths:    Super durability and lubrication.

Weaknesses:    Never put the product in a chain that its not correct clean , if do , the oil mix with the dirty and put all black , like old grease . Still lubricate but the apparence is not nice.

Bottom Line:
It is the lube , you clean really well the chain and put this oil and you get a brand new chain that is fine for 5 to 7 rides of about 50-75 km each one . All conditions , all weathers , Its fantastic , like you put a new chain each time .

Favorite Trail:   the next one

Purchased At:   bike-discount.com

Similar Products Used:   pedros teflon , finish line teflon , and finish line cross country , white lightening lube .

Bike Setup:   specialized epic sworks light bike.

Submitted by Ifestion Papadam a Downhiller from Thessaloniki

Date Reviewed: October 20, 2006

Strengths:    Smooth operation, very good and quiet when changing gear, easily cleaned with water.

Weaknesses:    Get's dirty and gummy in dry conditions and believe me in Greece we have many months of sunny and dry weather so it's not good for mountain rides. I always apply only one drop of oil on each link but stills get quickly dirty and gummy. Maybe for city riding works more cleaner. Too expensive for what it offers.

Bottom Line:
To my dissapointment i was influenced from the positive reviews of previus users and decided to buy blind the 1 Liter Can instead of trying first the smaller bottle, so now i'm stuck with a too much useless oil. If anyone interests, i will glady sell mine.

Purchased At:   Bike shop at Gremany

Similar Products Used:   Weldite Teflon Spray, Wurth Oil Spray, Loctite Chain Lube, Aral Synthetic Oil.

Bike Setup:   Canyon Big Mountain 1 frame, Marzocchi All mountain 1 fork, Manitou 4 way swinger shock, Chris King headset, Mavic Deetraks Wheelset, Thomson Elite seatpost, Shimano XT groupset, Avid BB7 brakes with full metal jacket cables,

Submitted by Julio Diaz a Weekend Warrior from Gilbert, AZ

Date Reviewed: August 31, 2004

Strengths:    It stays on and stays clean

Weaknesses:    Not readily available in the US

Bottom Line:
This is the best chain lube I have ever tried and I have tried alot of them. My friends seem like that are always switching lubes. I have been using Rohloff lube for 5 years! I also bought a 1 liter bottle of the lube so it will last me forever.

This lube is the best period!

Favorite Trail:   National at South Mtn

Purchased At:   Thomas at Roholff USA

Similar Products Used:   All of those other POS lubes

Bike Setup:   03 Specialized S-works Enduro

Submitted by Luka Draskovic a Weekend Warrior from Zagreb, Croatia

Date Reviewed: May 6, 2004

Strengths:    Everything, it works great in every condition, mud, dust, wet, you name it, rohloff will do it! And the great thing is if you touch the chain with your hand it wont leave any grease stains on your hand!

Bottom Line:
This is a fantastic chain lube and i would recomended to everybody! You can do with it any thing you want, drive it through mud, dust, wet condition but it will stand still and lube your chain as it was nothing!

Favorite Trail:   Maximir, Sljeme

Purchased At:   ciklo-centar

Similar Products Used:   My first, my last, my everything!

Bike Setup:   Focus Black Rider Ltd.

Submitted by Jens Jacob a Weekend Warrior from Århus, Denmark

Date Reviewed: November 18, 2002

Strengths:    Stays on the chain, even in very nasty conditions it gives the fines lubrication your chain could ever dream of.

Weaknesses:    I do not know very much about the chemestry of chain oils but if millions was invested the development could probably be pushed farther.

Bottom Line:
I did not thought that the perfect chain oil was invented. At least it is perfect compared to all the other i have tried out. It simply lasts longer. When it is completly covered in mud, just use water (the liquid stuff in your bottle) to clean it - the oil will not be washed off.

Purchased At:   4

Similar Products Used:   Pedros, finish line, Delta bike oil, different motor cycle chain oils.....

Bike Setup:   CUBE team litening, sram 9.0, Magura Louise front, HS silver back, TIME pedals, Raceface Turbine LP, TA Specialites chainrings, ritchey seatpost and stem, sram 9.0 sl hub with x517 rim.

Submitted by Dirk a Racer from Belgium

Date Reviewed: June 29, 2002

Strengths:    I've had them (almost) all: Finishline, Boeshield, Pedro's, etc. Ultimately, I preferred the wet type lubes applied on a freshly cleaned chain (drop it in kerosene method!).
If you apply a tiny drop on the interfaces between the plates (left and rigt) and backpedal half a minute, you will get a clean and well lubed chain, with any kind of lube. Rohloff is extra good in that it gives a really smooth feel to the chain and stays there for a long time. I can compare the feeling with putting a brand new chain on the bike. It's so good, I immediately ordered a 1 liter (!!!) LBS sized can to last me for the rest of my life! It's that good.

Weaknesses:    None, whatsoever.

Bottom Line:
The ultimate lube (for me, after experimenting for about 3 years).

Similar Products Used:   Finishline, Boeshield, Shimano, Pedro's in dry, semi-dry and wet variants.

Marzocchi MX Pro ETA 120mm Oil Service

Hello to all, Just a quick question. After 8 years I've decided to replace the oil on my Marzocchi MX Pro ETA 120mm fork... Great fork by the way. Below is a photo of the oil that was in the chambers. [url=http://postimg.org/image/pgtk5xes1/][img]http://s8.postimg.org/pgtk5xes1/DSC01272.j ... Read More »

Hutchinson Python Tubeless- Leaking Oil !

Here is a stumper for all you tire guru's. My wife's Orbea came with Hutchison Python Tubeless Tires, mounted on Mavic Crossmax SLR's. Last week after a short urban ride, we stopped and got some coffee, when we heard a loud pop..Her rear tire blew a massive hole as seen in the pic. It was real ... Read More »

do I need to change my disc if the brake pads got oil on them

Hello, [COLOR=#333333][FONT=Helvetica Neue]In trying to change the brake pads on my mountain bike, I managed to get oil on my new pads and empty out all the brake fluid, and consequently also get some oil on the disc. I took the bike to the shop and they are now telling me I need to change the pad ... Read More »

2013 32 Float 29" 80-100 (O/C CTD damper) Oil Replacement Help?

Hello, I have a 2013 32 Float 29" 80-100 (O/C CTD damper) fork which came as OE on a 2013 Salsa El Mariachi Ti. I'd like to replace the oil on it, but I'm having a bit of difficulty understanding it at the moment. I've replaced the seals on an F29 RLC without issue, but on this fork it appears I nee ... Read More »

2005 Manitou Black Super Air SPV Evolve 100mm Oil Level

I am looking for the proper oil level for this shock. The 2005 fork service manual refers me to the 2005 Black service manual for the oil level which I am not able to locate. I have found the oil level for the 2004 SPV (2.9" - 3.0") and the 2006 SPV (2.7"-2.8"), but can't seem to find it for the 2 ... Read More »