Rock n Roll Extreme Chain Lube

4.71/5 (114 Reviews)

Includes: 16 oz bottle of extreme 2 dropperTips Applicator bottle SHIPPING RESTRICTIONThis item is classified “ORM-D” and cannot be shipped via air. It can only be shipped via ground shipping methods. If you addThis itemTo your cart,The list of available shipping methods will be reduced. For more variety of shipping options, consider removingThis item from your cart (or placing a separate order using a ground shipping method.)

Submitted by Kevin a Cross Country Rider

Date Reviewed: December 13, 2012

Strengths:    Ease to use, keeps chain and clogs clean and makes shifting excellent.

Bottom Line:
Been using this product from mid May of this year (2012) Was giving a bottle from a friend for a b-day present. I applied as the directions said. Rode to meet friends about two miles from my house at trailhead. I noticed the chain didn't make a sound and the shifting was sweet. Yea but I was on the road with a fresh lubed chain. Hit the trails and my shifting was spot on every time even under load. When I got home after about three hours of riding, I hung up my bike and the chain was like it hadn't see any single track. I ride 4 to 5 times a week and always get in 2 to 3 hours in. I'm still on my chain and it shows almost zero wear.

Favorite Trail:   Too many to list, love em' all

Similar Products Used:   Tried them all

Bike Setup:   Ibis YBB yea I know its 12 years old but I fell in love and death do us part. I have a new XTR group on it.

Submitted by DudeNudem a Weekend Warrior

Date Reviewed: June 11, 2012

Strengths:    Easy to use, keeps chain lubed, extends component life

Bottom Line:
Love this stuff! I use it regularly and it does a great job keeping my chain clean - it doesn't seem to overly attract dirt and it also repels water. Using it couldn't be easier, just squirt it liberally over the chain as you turn the crank until it is well covered. Then use a cloth to remove as much of the lube as possible, then you are ready to roll!

Submitted by tc21 a Cross Country Rider from New Hampshire

Date Reviewed: November 28, 2011

Strengths:    I have never seen a chain look and roll so good! Just follow the directions and you'll see the reasons this lube gets great reveiws.

Bottom Line:
I tried this product because it was recomended. It works great! All kinds of conditions in the north east and this lube worked wellin all of them. Just apply as needed. Your chain will not as though it has gone through hell and back.

Purchased At:   likin bikin

Submitted by Ash T. Abula a Downhiller from Rocky Mountains

Date Reviewed: April 5, 2011

Strengths:    Withstands wet rides, lasts longest of any lube I've used, keeps chain clean, easy to apply.

Weaknesses:    If you don't follow the directions (which includes keeping the lube warm, read the label), you might find it doesn't work very well.

Bottom Line:
Best lube on the market for my purposes: from my regular 3-4 hr weekday rides to my all-day rides in alpine conditions with wetness and mud likely on many rides... this is the best lube I've used.

Rock and Roll Gold works nearly as well but is not quite as resistant to wetness. I use Gold in the dry period (4 weeks or so in high summer) and Extreme all other times.

Remember to follow the directions -- it will make a big difference in how well the lube works. After you've used RnR lubes for a while you'll get to know just how much excess to put on before spinning the cranks to work it in. Remember to wipe it dry after applying. And it works best if you can lube the night before, if possible.

Favorite Trail:   that one

Purchased At:   bike shop

Similar Products Used:   RnR Gold, ProLink Gold, White Lightning, TriFlow Dry, TriFlow wet, Pedro's SynLube

Bike Setup:   3 bikes, 3 chains, 3 regular users of RnR Extreme

Submitted by david_asulin a Weekend Warrior from San Jose CA

Date Reviewed: January 27, 2011

Strengths:    Keeps Chain clean
Good lubrication
(See full review)

Weaknesses:    Doesn't last long
(See full review)

Bottom Line:
Please read my full review at:

Submitted by MileHighMark a Cross Country Rider from Boulder County

Date Reviewed: December 22, 2010

Bottom Line:
If you need to apply this when the temp is below 45f, don't even bother. It thickens to the consistency of uncooked spaghetti sauce, and will not penetrate the links. You end up with a blue chain, blue cogs, and blue chainrings. Oh, and you also get nice chainsuck and poor shifting, too.

Favorite Trail:   Dirty Ones

Purchased At:   online

Submitted by Polyalp a Cross Country Rider from New York, NY

Date Reviewed: July 1, 2010

Strengths:    It works like a charm. Now I have a nice quiet, clean and well lubed chain and drive-train.

Weaknesses:    None as of yet. But, I will probably change over during the winter season.

Bottom Line:
It works (period). Buy it online, most cycle shops overprice it (if you can find it).

Favorite Trail:   9W

Purchased At:   Tenafly Bicycle

Bike Setup:   Jamis

Submitted by Ericmopar a Cross Country Rider from Nevada

Date Reviewed: November 14, 2009

Strengths:    Like others have already said, it works better than any other lube I've tried, and I've tried a lot over the years.
It works very well in our dry climate.

Weaknesses:    You have to make sure it's shaken very thoroughly so the white stuff at the bottom is all mixed in good.

Bottom Line:
I've used this stuff on my road and mountain bikes to great success.
It will attract some dirt (all lubes will, including "dry" ones) but when put onto a chain that has be cleaned of other lubes and wiped off like they say, it works great.
It will last for at least one ride, sometimes two, and builds up way less crap, even when it hasn't rained here in the desert for months.
(Note: That is off road riding in extreme dust and sand, when used on road bikes, it will last much longer.)

I recommend this to riders in a dry climate for sure. I can't say about wet, that's for others to say.
It's a great lube, just follow the instructions to the letter and it will work.
It's great for trail riding and works even better on the road.
In this case, the hype is real.

Similar Products Used:   Finish Line, White Lightning, 3 in 1, 30wt Valvoline, Prolink Gold, Park Tools lube, etc.

A lot more that those...

Submitted by turtlepaul a Weekend Warrior from Anaheim, CA, USA

Date Reviewed: October 14, 2009

Strengths:    It works.

Weaknesses:    You have use a lot of it.

Bottom Line:
This stuff works. You just have to put a lot on, and spin the chain for a while, then wipe off as much as possible. This is the only lube that gets me through the entire ride without squeeking, in sandy Southern California trails, without having to clean the chain before each ride.

Favorite Trail:   Anywhere

Similar Products Used:   prolink, T9, white lightening, triflow, etc etc.

Bike Setup:   6" full suspension mountain bike.
Hardtail 29er mountain bike

Submitted by RTM a Downhiller from central NJ

Date Reviewed: October 4, 2009

Strengths:    awesome

Bottom Line:
easily the best chain lube I've used in 6 years of riding. I'm a maintenance fanatic, so you can trust me. CRUCIAL TIP: FOLLOW THE INSTRUCTIONS! this is not your typical drip on lube. you have to douse the chain then dry off all the excess. if you do you will think your chain is made of silk.

Favorite Trail:   Diablo Freeride Park

Purchased At:   ?

Similar Products Used:   Prolink, Pedros, White Lightning

Bike Setup:   Ironhorse Sunday, Specialized XC Comp, Ironhorse MKIII

Submitted by jigmechopa a Cross Country Rider from Boulder, CO, USA

Date Reviewed: May 11, 2009

Strengths:    Quiet, clean, relatively long lasting..... dare I say approaching lube perfection. No more chain ring tattoos and my drive system has never stayed this clean for this long.

Weaknesses:    It's not free and I keep checking to see if my chain is still attached

Bottom Line:
This review is for RnR Gold. I've used the extreme and it just doesn't perform in the long run as well as the Gold in the dry and dusty conditions in which I ride. This is hands down the best lube ever invented for a bicycle chain and drive. I use high end components on my bikes and this stuff has reduced wear on my chain, rear cassette, and front rings also. Just don't apply it over the rear cassette like the instructions say.... I don't want any kind of solvent to get near my hub seals or grease! When I switch to winter gear on my bike, I switch to purple extreme and rock that for three or so months where we have lots of moisture.

Favorite Trail:   Walker Ranch

Similar Products Used:   White Lightning, Prolink, Finishline crud, purple extreme, Pedros Dry and practically everything else under the sun

Bike Setup:   GF X-Cal 29er, thomson stem and seatpost, easton Monkeylite SL, Stans notube arches on Hope Pro 2 hubs, Sram XO derailleurs and XO gripshifts

Submitted by MeesterBell a Cross Country Rider from Perth, WA, Australia

Date Reviewed: March 18, 2009

Strengths:    Goes on clean, little dripping. A 4oz bottle last a very long time.

Weaknesses:    None so far.

Bottom Line:
I commute to work, 40KM round trip on roads & pavement. the product gives clean quiet operation and I'm very impressed. I lube the chain once a week but even that may be overkill. Follow the bottle instructions carefully and start with a clean drivetrain. I would recommend this stuff to everyone!