Home | Reviews | Lube | ProGold

ProGold Xtreme Chain Lube

4.94/5 (16 Reviews)

ProGold Xtreme Chain Lube is ProGold's finest chain lubricant. Using their proprietary MFR Technology, the Xtreme Lube gets into the tough bushing to plate interface on your chain and it will stay there. Perfect for gnarly offroad rides or those billion-m

Submitted by bikeit91

Date Reviewed: February 4, 2014

Strengths:    Great Lube! One proper application and it does last a long time.

Weaknesses:    Proper cleaning is important before hand, you can't just keep slathering it on.

Bottom Line:
ProGold's Xtreme Lube is a great lube. As always it matters how you take care of your bike and apply products onto it. It's easy to spray lube on your bike and say it doesn't work, but if you take the care to put it on right, you reap the rewards with a quality long lasting chain lube.

Submitted by Trent

Date Reviewed: December 4, 2013

Strengths:    Easy application, stays clean, even in dry conditions. Very effective lube. I get very long life out of my chains using this stuff.

Bottom Line:
An excellent lube. I have been using ProGold products for years and have never found a need to switch to something else. Works in all conditions, last a long time, and is a good value. One bottle will last for a year, lubing my chains almost every week.

Submitted by Sue George

Date Reviewed: November 12, 2013

Strengths:    Easy to apply
Holds up well in mucky conditions so drivetrain performance stays good

Weaknesses:    It's easy to apply this lube too much or too frequently, in which case pulley wheels and/or chain can gunk up a bit. It's important to remember that a little goes a long way and more is not always better.

Bottom Line:
This is my second favorite lube after the regular (non-Xtreme) ProGold lube. Being mostly "retired" from racing, I don't ride often in extreme conditions, so most of the time, the regular ProGold does the job perfectly well, but if I have to be out in extreme conditions, especially for an extended period, it's very nice to have this lube as an option.

Submitted by Beth U. a Cross Country Rider

Date Reviewed: August 29, 2013

Strengths:    Even in the worst of the worst conditions...wet, muddy, dirty dusty....it keeps your chain running smoothly! A little bit goes a long way!

Weaknesses:    Nothing as far as I have seen!

Bottom Line:
This stuff is the first-rate, premium lube for your two wheeled machine!

Submitted by MarsHillCycling

Date Reviewed: August 14, 2013

Strengths:    Keeps chain and moving parts working smoothly in the toughest conditions while not gunking up. Easy post-ride maintenance on the dirtiest of days: hose off bike, dry with rag, apply lube, wipe off excess. Ready for the next day's torture.

Weaknesses:    Can't take it in your carry-on bag. The TSA will take it away, probably for their own use! It's .6 ounces too much. Either put it in checked luggage or the sample sizes ProGold gives out at races are good for traveling light.

Bottom Line:
We're a team of 25 racing with ProGold lube in five disciplines (mountain bike, cyclocross, BMX, track, and road) across the country in conditions ranging from ice and snow to deep mud and desert sand. We've really put it to the test. The Xtreme lube is our go-to for mountain bike and cyclocross, while the ProLink works great for road, track, BMX. For cleaning recommend Degreaser+Wash, ProTowels, and Bike Shine. All outstanding products.

Submitted by careylowery

Date Reviewed: July 28, 2013

Strengths:    It doesn't take much to clean and keep the chain quiet; just a drop per link is all you need. One bottle lasts me 6 months and it has been a wet season for me. I ride Pisgah ALOT ... seems I cannot say "No" to any of Eric Weaver's events. Xtreme has kept my drive train happy and functioning in the horribly wet conditions.

Weaknesses:    It does have a strong odor, but as long as you don't smother your chain in it, you probably won't have any hallucinations.

Bottom Line:
Best bang for your buck! I have been a Pro Gold user for 3 years now. I have tried numerous competitor's samples; they are not in the same league.

Submitted by dirtchic a Cross Country Rider

Date Reviewed: July 17, 2013

Strengths:    Keeps my chain quiet even in the dry, dusty conditions of the desert!

Weaknesses:    Zip, zero, zilch!

Bottom Line:
Seriously...kept my bike running thru 100 miles of mud and dust at Leadville. This is the real deal! Got Xtreme!

Submitted by Andrea138

Date Reviewed: June 26, 2013

Strengths:    Makes your chain stay quiet in wet and crappy conditions. Lasts for a long time.

Weaknesses:    I have a friend who got really high after Leadville and thought that the sample bottle of Xtreme lube from his goodie bag was eye drops. XTREME LUBE IS NOT EYE DROPS

Bottom Line:
If you're one of those people who always forgets to take care of your bike and ends up with a tweety-bird chain, just do yourself a favor, and buy Xtreme lube. Clean your drivetrain, let it dry, then put that stuff on there, and you won't have to worry about lubing our chain for a long time. If you actually wash your bike and lube your chain more than once a season, Xtreme lube is also useful if you're training/racing in mud, ice, and rain.

Submitted by mcoplea

Date Reviewed: June 25, 2013

Strengths:    Best lube I have ever used! My chain stays quite, smooth and clean longer that anything else that I have used. I run it on all my bikes, SS MTB, Geared MTB and Road.

Weaknesses:    No so far.

Bottom Line:
Buy it, use it, and be happy.

Submitted by DPTJones

Date Reviewed: June 23, 2013

Strengths:    Applies easily, durable, does not gum up or attract dirt, does not splatter,easy to clean up, price

Weaknesses:    No weaknesses. Best lubricant for wet and muddy conditions that I've used in the 15 years as a mountain biker.

Bottom Line:
ProGold Xtreme Chain lube works xtremely well in mud and dust. I used this lube for the Hilly Billy Roubaix, a 70+ mile race over dry, dusty dirt and gravel roads, creek crossings, and lots of deep, nasty, stagnant mud bog-covered ATV trails in WV. One drop per link was applied to the chain of my mountain bike 1/2 hour before the start of the race. It is thin enough that one drop will visibly cover all surfaces. With one drop per link, no wipe off seems necessary.

I've used other products for this race in previous years, none of which seemed durable enough to withstand the repeated cycles of wet, muddy, and dusty conditions to keep the drivetrain quiet throughout the race. But, Xtreme Chain lube kept the chain quiet and did not gunk up the chain, chainrings/cassette, and derailleur pulleys. In fact the lubrication was still evident between the rollers and plates of the chain after the 6 hours of riding over 70+ miles.

Typically with other lubricants, I would have to use a Park chain cleaner/scrubber on the chain, cassette, and chainrings prior to washing my frame after a race like this. Otherwise the lubricant would keep getting all over the frame. But the day after the Hilly Billy, the Xtreme Chain Lube was easily cleaned off without a chain scrubber tool. Xtreme Chain Lube was applied to my road bike for my recovery ride the next day. Unlike other chain lubricants, Xtreme did not splatter onto the frame.

I've used this in the toughest, most varied conditions in longest race of my season. I have no doubt it will hold up for the shorter races that typically have only one condition, either dry, wet, or muddy. Xtreme Chain Lube would be great for any bike, in any conditions. I'm looking forward to testing this product during the upcoming cyclocross season this fall.

Thanks ProGold Lubricants. Great product.

Favorite Trail:   Any trail that gets me on the bike for a ride.

Purchased At:   PathfinderWV in Morg

Similar Products Used:   T9, Pedro's, TriFlow

Submitted by Jason a Racer

Date Reviewed: February 15, 2013

Strengths:    Goes on easy, easy to clean, dosen't gunk up, great in messy conditions

Weaknesses:    not very viscous you might end up using more than you need to, transferring to an eyedropper bottle will help

Bottom Line:
I live in Upstate New York and in the winter we tend to get very messy road conditions, I have been using this lube as my primary chain lube for winter as well as sloppy condition Cyclo-Cross and it works great, it really helps to keep water off and out of the chain so even if you don't get around to wiping down the chain immediately after every ride in sloppy conditions you don't have to worry about rust setting in right away, I find it works best when you apply one drop per link, work it in and wipe off any excess, it really hangs in there well even if you wipe the chain down after every ride, I like to reapply weekly during foul weather and immediately after cleaning up from an especially messy cross race, this stuff works great in combination with the Standard ProGold Lube for normal conditions, using one or the other depending on conditions you can't go wrong.

Similar Products Used:   Pedros SynLube
Pedros GO!
Pedros IceWax
Pedros Chainj

Bike Setup:   Surly Crosscheck Singlespeed.

Submitted by Harlan a Cross Country Rider

Date Reviewed: September 17, 2012

Strengths:    Doesn't attract crap. Stay's clean. Lubes well. Wet or dry. I use it on chain and moving parts on my derailleurs.

Weaknesses:    Some might think it's too thin, but correct application makes a solid barrier to outside contamination.

Bottom Line:
I've had this on my bike for the past couple of years. No gunking up and stays on for miles. I'm more than satisfied with it's overall performance and would be hard pressed to use anything else.
It's gone through stage races and other marathon distances and always seems to keep things quite and happy. A lubed chain is a happy chain.

Submitted by Beckman

Date Reviewed: September 12, 2012

Strengths:    This lube is the lubiest of lubes. All other inferior lubes shiver in shame and fear at the superior strength that this lube has on the drive train. Whether muddy, wet, or dry weather conditions don't matter to pro gold xtreme chain lube. THis lube just gets things done.

Weaknesses:    Not enough people know about it.

Bottom Line:
I use this lube for all my bikes and during any conditions. I used to use dry grease but the dirt accumulated too quickly. THis lube actually cleans my chain for me.

Submitted by Stoked

Date Reviewed: September 12, 2012

Strengths:    Everything...I love gooooooollllllddddddd

Weaknesses:    Can't put in my coffee....

Bottom Line:
Is cutting the grass on a segway EXTREMELY lazy...? Well this lube applys the same thought to lube and your chain. That's right, maintenance free. You can apply this lube, wipe down excess, and see ya - rip throught gears day after day after day...and the kicker??? = through any conditions...dust, dirt, mud, rain, snow.

Submitted by Anthony

Date Reviewed: September 11, 2012

Strengths:    Like Chuck Norris applied to your chain

Weaknesses:    You saying Chuck is weak?

Bottom Line:
Apply to clean chain the night before, next day wipe down and rock out. Mud? Karate chop. Dust? Round house. Sand? Throat punch. Get you some.