Home | Reviews | Lube | ProGold

ProGold Xtreme Chain Lube

4.97/5 (29 Reviews)

ProGold Xtreme Chain Lube is ProGold's finest chain lubricant. Using their proprietary MFR Technology, the Xtreme Lube gets into the tough bushing to plate interface on your chain and it will stay there. Perfect for gnarly offroad rides or those billion-m

Submitted by Justin Lindine a Racer

Date Reviewed: August 4, 2014

Strengths:    This is a great long-lasting, all-conditions lube that for it's tenacity runs clean and quiet without ever thickening or collecting too much grime. You literally can get away with less lube, less often and still have a quiet and efficient drivetrain.

Bottom Line:
I've used a lot of lubes over the years, and it always seemed like there was no middle ground between thin lubes that ran clean and quiet but wore away quickly, and thick wax-like lubes that lasted forever but collected a ton of grime and grit and always felt rough. Then I tried ProGold Xtreme lube and honestly, I will never go back. This lube is relatively thin and yet manages to stay in place through all the conditions I can put it through on the mountain bike and cross courses. When I do ride in dry...but dusty conditions like I find in UT a lot now, I find that I can put this lube on once and aside from wiping the dust off the chain post ride, have the lube last for weeks. It's ability to penetrate is one of the things that makes it so great. You put it on heavy, sometimes even the night before a ride, and then wipe away the excess....that's all there is to it. From then on, enjoy clean quiet well-lubed efficiency.

When it is time to finally clean your drivetrain, using some basic degreaser (like my favorite, the ProGold degreaser and bike wash) is all you need. There isn't any film of waxy-crusty residue to have to chip off, and the chain comes out clean and ready for it's next application of lube. I find that not only does this lube work well in almost all conditions, it's durability actually lets you use less lube in the long run....more miles= more fun in my book.

Similar Products Used:   ProGold Prolink

Submitted by Evan

Date Reviewed: July 24, 2014

Strengths:    Longevity is second to none. Cleans chain during application. Quick application.

Weaknesses:    Absolutely None.

Bottom Line:
A couple weeks ago I race my first 6 hour mountain bike race. Race Preparation was something I was taking serious and I put a lot of time into. Aside from nutrition, I was concerned with keeping my bike running properly during the entirety of the race.
So, I contacted Bruce of Pro Gold and he recommended a thin coat of Xtreme chain lube. To say I was hesitant on applying it sparingly is an understatement. However, it worked beyond all of my expectations.
I have always used Boeshield, but didn’t like how I needed to apply it the night before I wiped it off for the best results. With Xtreme I can apply it, let it sit for a few minutes then wipe it clean. It also cleans the chain pretty well if you don’t have the time to properly clean it. Just make sure you get all the excess off.
I should mention, the race was quite dusty and when I finished the chain still had some shine to it and was silent. No grinding that you would normally get with any other all-conditions lube.
Xtreme is the best lube I have used for my mtb. Hands down.

Similar Products Used:   Pedro's, Boeshield, Rock N Roll, Finish Line, some no name German stuff, basically everything.

Submitted by Steve Warner

Date Reviewed: July 6, 2014

Strengths:    Easy to apply and doesn't lead to dirt build up on drivetrain.
Lasts a long time because not much lube is needed.
Leads to quiet and clean drivetrain.

Bottom Line:
I started using ProGold Xtreme Chain Lube early this year when I received a small sample. I was immediately impressed and now exclusively use it. Less is more when applying the lube, which leads to no residue build up on the drivetrain and also makes a small amount last a long time. Chain cleans easy when needed and lube reapplied for a quiet and smooth shifting drivetrain.

Steve Warner
K-Blue Racing

Submitted by Anthony Hergert a Racer

Date Reviewed: July 4, 2014

Strengths:    Holds up to a lot of exposure to water including rain, creek crossings, large muddy puddles, etc. Sheds the mud and is easy to clean up and reliable...especially with the ProGold pro towels.

Weaknesses:    Zero.

Bottom Line:
I've been using ProGold products for several years after trying different wet and dry lubes. I prefer wet lubes but never could find a wet lube that was durable enough to really stay on and effective during the often miserable conditions of 50-100 mile endurance MTB racing...until I tried the ProGold Extreme. Chain sounded great after a super hot, dry and dusty Cohutta 100 and never had a problem during a cold and rainy Syllamo's Revenge either. I'm sold. I have to comment, too, that the Pro Towels with citrus degreaser are amazing. Remember smearing filthy chain lube around with paper towels after a ride and then trying to scrub the grime off your hands? Yeah, I don't. The towels rock. Chain sparkles and your hands are clean.great stuff!

Favorite Trail:   Pinhoti #2, southbound

Purchased At:   Reality Bikes

Similar Products Used:   Pedro's, tri-flow.

Bike Setup:   Yeti ARC-C, 1x11 SRAM, Fox fork, Thomson cockpit, custom Built to Last wheels with I9's and Enve M50's.

Submitted by Matt a Cross Country Rider

Date Reviewed: June 30, 2014

Strengths:    I've used ProGold Xtreme quite a bit now in various conditions, always with good results. Often I forget when I last lubed my chain, which I take to be a good sign that it works well and is durable. Case in point, I just did a the Iron Mountain 100k race in Virginia; super hard and demanding course. I prepped my bike the day before and used ProGold Xtreme. I drove up with my bike on the car in a torrential rainstorm for a couple hours, had it sitting outside all night because I was camping, and then got up and raced 100k in the mud. No issues. At all. This stuff is for real.

Weaknesses:    None yet.

Bottom Line:
Xtreme lube just works, and works well, regardless of conditions. It's become my go to for the mountain bike, certainly better than anything else I've used over the years.

Similar Products Used:   Just about all of them.

Submitted by Emily Shields

Date Reviewed: June 4, 2014

Strengths:    Worked great all throughout the Transylvania Epic. Kept my chain shifting smoothly and quiet.

Bottom Line:
Lasts a long time and works great in the mountains with a lot of salt, rain, and snow.

Submitted by Ben C.

Date Reviewed: June 3, 2014

Strengths:    Longevity in all conditions, Increases drivetrain performance

Weaknesses:    Strong odor

Bottom Line:
I switched to this lube from a wax-based lube a while back and couldn't be happier. I had no idea how much junk was being collected on my chain and derailleur pulleys especially by the wax lube. Now that I've been using the Pro Gold lube I have no buildup, my shifting has gotten smoother, and the whole drivetrain has become silent. It's amazing how much of a difference this stuff makes, and it stays viscous and working for quite a while through all sorts of dust, dirt, and mud. Also seems to make cleaning the chain and pulleys much easier, and they stay cleaner longer.

Submitted by Jess N

Date Reviewed: June 1, 2014

Strengths:    Kept our chains working well and our shifting smooth through seven days of muddy racing at Trans-sylvania Epic.

Weaknesses:    Despite being told it is effective for 150 miles, we did have to apply it more often than that when the conditions were super muddy and wet. So not really a weakness, just not living up to what we were told.

Bottom Line:
Great product, highly recommend it. Kept Joël and I racing strong for the entire week; stage races are tough enough and knowing our drive trains are working well is one less thing to have to worry about.

Submitted by Geronimo

Date Reviewed: May 30, 2014

Strengths:    Only a small amount needed and does it's job well even under adverse conditions. Impressive. Must be made out of Alien technology!

Weaknesses:    Strong odor.

Bottom Line:
Incredible that such a small amount can last such a long time. I apply to the entire chain and wipe excess off with a rag while rotating the chain with one or two rotations of the drivetrain. Very little gunk build up too. However, I do clean my drivetrain regularly. I.E.: After every muddy ride or at least once every two weeks. My average number of rides per week is between 3-5. The cleaning products are great too!

Submitted by jpolk84 a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: May 27, 2014

Strengths:    Long lasting in a variety of conditions.

Weaknesses:    None.

Bottom Line:
This is the long lasting lube for long hauls and all types of conditions. Bikepacking? Take this one!

Favorite Trail:   Chicopee

Duration Product Used:   6mths

Purchased At:   Performance

Similar Products Used:   Finish Line, Pedro's

Bike Setup:   XCal 29"

Submitted by Trlbnd

Date Reviewed: May 22, 2014

Strengths:    Awesome for the commuter, wet conditions. Does not wear off.

Weaknesses:    N/A

Bottom Line:
When the conditions were going to be wet and mucky I switch to the Extreme formula. My drivetrain never failed. Clean smooth shifts. This is now my go to winter/spring lube on all my rigs including my son's bikes! A couple od bucks more than the other brands but worth every penny...

Submitted by SketchyD

Date Reviewed: May 21, 2014

Strengths:    Works awesome in wet, muddy, demanding conditions, a bottle lasts well over a season for a rider going on 4-6 rides a week.

Weaknesses:    The bottle is bottomless somehow...

Bottom Line:
I was excited to see Xtreme hit the market as the vast majority of my riding is on the MTB and I use the "regular" formula on the road bike, but wanted something a little more long-lasting for all the creek crossings we have in WNC. I was very impressed with the first rides on Xtreme, it kept the chain clean, quiet and lubed - even after being totally submerged for a good time. Over a year into it and I find myself lubing the chain 2-3 times a month - which is nothing given the conditions and my ride volume. Recommended product.

Submitted by Scott Sampson

Date Reviewed: May 17, 2014

Strengths:    Easy application, lightweight penetration oil.

Weaknesses:    ...a little goes a long way...you can apply too much...

Bottom Line:
During the last Whiskey Fifty plowing through that crazy snowstorm, once I reached SkullValley I reapplied the Extreme to my chain and was carefree the rest of the race....there was alittle chain and shift envy frm some of the other racers.....good times!

Submitted by bikeit91

Date Reviewed: February 4, 2014

Strengths:    Great Lube! One proper application and it does last a long time.

Weaknesses:    Proper cleaning is important before hand, you can't just keep slathering it on.

Bottom Line:
ProGold's Xtreme Lube is a great lube. As always it matters how you take care of your bike and apply products onto it. It's easy to spray lube on your bike and say it doesn't work, but if you take the care to put it on right, you reap the rewards with a quality long lasting chain lube.

Submitted by Trent

Date Reviewed: December 4, 2013

Strengths:    Easy application, stays clean, even in dry conditions. Very effective lube. I get very long life out of my chains using this stuff.

Bottom Line:
An excellent lube. I have been using ProGold products for years and have never found a need to switch to something else. Works in all conditions, last a long time, and is a good value. One bottle will last for a year, lubing my chains almost every week.