Home | Reviews | Lube | ProGold

ProGold ProLink Chain Lube

4.68/5 (186 Reviews)

Progold ProLink Chain Lube is a thin-bodied lubricant which utilizes metal friction reducer technology for smooth shifting and a quiet drive train. Does not build up or become tacky; sheds dirt, mud, and abrasives. Also repels moisture and prevents corros

Submitted by Grant an Racer a Racer

Date Reviewed: January 23, 2014

Strengths:    Easy to apply, no mess, protected my chain thoroughly, very smooth ride.

Weaknesses:    thinner than most

Bottom Line:
Had this on for a long endurance ride through the mud and snow with no fuss. Shifting was smooth all day long and the lube protected my chain very well. Very light application no need to overdue. Great lube!

Similar Products Used:   White lightning clean ride, Gnar lube, squirt lube

Submitted by Matt Morrison a Racer

Date Reviewed: January 4, 2014

Strengths:    Light lube, good cleaning agents, doesn't pick up grime.

Bottom Line:
I was surprised when applying the lube how clean the chain became, and quiet. This is definitely one of the best chain lubes I've used in the past 15 years of riding. It's lighter than most I've used, and didn't pick up extra road grime.

Similar Products Used:   Dumonde Tech, White lightning, pedros

Submitted by dludwick a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: November 30, 2013

Strengths:    Super cleaner, penetrates deep (that's what she said), and it just does what I would expect any lube/cleaner to do.

Weaknesses:    Well the bottle has a dependable problem leaking in my toolbox. As of November 2013. I've literally cleaned/lubed all the tools in my tool box on several occasions. Be sure to store the bottle in an upright position.

Bottom Line:
In the shop and at home I use ProGold as both a general lube, cleaner, party favor, marinade, and sports drink mix. Other products that I've used in the past have had their qualities as well as their weaknesses, but ProGold really just does a great job doing it all. The lube is fantastic and there's a slew of other ProGold products that really stand out among the rest. In a market of so many options I think it's difficult to find a product that's stands out above the rest (Fox) instead of providing a mediocre result. ProGold stands out and stands out strong.
An example being a stubborn shift issue on an XT drivetrain. I couldn't get the damn bike to shift smoothly. Then I figured why not try cleaning the chain? Then BAM! Magical perfect shifting. So technically it could be called a maintenance tool also.

Favorite Trail:   White Ranch

Duration Product Used:   Eternity

Purchased At:   Pedal Pushers Cycler

Similar Products Used:   White Lighting, Finish Line Dry, Finish Line Wet, WD-40, etc...

Bike Setup:   2013 Intense Carbine 275

Submitted by Sue George

Date Reviewed: November 12, 2013

Strengths:    Works well
Easy to apply, especially with the small bottle, which can be refilled and is very portable

Weaknesses:    None.

Bottom Line:
This has been my favorite lube for years and continues in the #1 spot. It's easy to apply and works great on both my road bikes and mountain bikes. Thank goodness for this lube during what turned out to be a relatively rainy 2013 spring/summer riding season.

Submitted by Oliver a Racer

Date Reviewed: October 16, 2013

Strengths:    I have found this to be a very clean lube that lasts and lasts. I have been using it for the past 2 seasons and don't recall a squeaky chain during that time.

Weaknesses:    None that I am aware of.

Bottom Line:
I would highly recommend it.

Submitted by Whitney a Racer

Date Reviewed: October 11, 2013

Strengths:    Best combination of cleaning, lubricating, with a thin long lasting coat which doesn't seem to get as dirty as quickly as other chain lubes I've used prior to this one.

Weaknesses:    None that I'm aware of. If you need more of this lube it's probably time to clean your bike and your chain.

Bottom Line:
This chain lube works great. I highly recommend it.

Bike Setup:   Felt FC frame with SRAM Red components

Submitted by Jared a Racer

Date Reviewed: October 11, 2013

Strengths:    This is the only lube I buy now and it holds up well under Vermont's very mixed riding conditions year round.

Weaknesses:    Not quite hardy enough for the wetest mtb riding but that's not really its purpose.

Bottom Line:
I don't like to have multiple bottles of lube on my shelves and Pro-Gold allows me to use one for nearly all conditions.

I used it for the VT50 and had zero complaints!

Favorite Trail:   FOTW Stowe trails

Duration Product Used:   Over 200 miles at times

Purchased At:   Onion River Sports

Similar Products Used:   Finishline

Bike Setup:   Supefly 100 SL, 3X10; Madone 6.9, SRAM Red, Quarq BB90

Submitted by Clarke

Date Reviewed: October 11, 2013

Strengths:    Versitility

Bottom Line:
I've used several different chain lubes and this is the best by far. It never gets sticky even on a chain that hasn't been cleaned in awhile. It's light enough to use on derailleurs and cables too.

Submitted by Powderchas

Date Reviewed: October 11, 2013

Strengths:    Clean, quiet, mid-viscosity, screw top applicator, value.

Weaknesses:    It's better to over use this lube than to under use. I wish smaller amounts of it would do the trick.

Bottom Line:
Chain lube isn't the sexiest part about cycling (unless, of course, you're using it for something else....but don't use it for that). ProGold's ProLink Chain Lube is certainly no different. But the wow factor with this product is that it works. It's mid-viscosity level is right on the money for all-around cycling, and when I don't have my ProGold LuberPen at the read, I've this chain lube does a might fine job of lubing cables. I've always found that a drop or two per chain roller works best. Yes, it takes a little time, but you'll be rewarded with longer chain life and a quieter, cleaner drivetrain. Another nifty part about ProLink Chain Lube is that it comes in an 8oz. bottle with a no-mess screw top for precision application. This lube makes your drivetrain run smoothly, quietly, and brightly.

Submitted by Bobby B a Racer

Date Reviewed: October 11, 2013

Strengths:    Finding a lube that leaves you happy is actually a hard thing. There are what I call Crit Lubes (dry) and Motor Oil (long-lasting and nasty). A bike lube should provide lubrication for a 100mile ride and still be clean enough to wipe down at the end. A lube company should not be selling snake oil, just a solid product that Works. This is it! Quiet, high performing lubrication that when used properly will save you time and money replacing your drivetrain.

Weaknesses:    Full size bottle is easy to over use. Thankfully they have a lube pen for this but a smaller nozzle would be great.

Bottom Line:
I have been faithfully using this product since 2001. I don't think much has changed and I don't think much should!

Duration Product Used:   12 years!

Similar Products Used:   All of them - this is the best.

Submitted by MrKrys a Racer

Date Reviewed: September 18, 2013

Strengths:    Strikes the balance between too heavy/attracts gunk and too light/washes away.

Weaknesses:    None, when you get in the habit of paying attention to your drivetrain.

Bottom Line:
We have a household full of bikes and six different riders; bikes include daily commuters, MTB and cx racing rigs, some bmx and various other stuff. ProLink has been the go to lube for mountain bike stage racing in the summer, muddy 'cross events in the fall, and year-round city commuting through whatever mess the urban bikescape throws our way. It's reasonable priced (and for racers, often available from the ever-present Bruce at events), and goes on without spraying and dripping everywhere. It also washes out well with brushes or a chain scrubber, so drivetrain maintenance is less painful (meaning that I'm likely to do it more often). All in all, my favorite all-purpose chain lube.

Duration Product Used:   Apply weekly for past 3 years

Similar Products Used:   Tried most of 'em over 30 years of riding.

Submitted by Monster McConnell a Racer

Date Reviewed: September 16, 2013

Strengths:    ProGold was my chain lube of choice for my run at the 2013 Tour Divide. It performed awesome through mud, dust, rain, snow ...... I had no issues, no chain slipping, breaking..... My drivetrain ran smooth for all 2,800 miles or so.

Weaknesses:    Not really a weakness, but I am going to try out the ProGold Extreme next to see how much farther it goes for comparison.

Bottom Line:
The ProGold ProLink chain lube works great and helped my win the single speed category in the 2013 Tour Divide. I love ProGold as a company, and appreciate all that they do for the biking community such as support one of my favorite charities, Ride for Reading (which combines the fight against child illiteracy and biking). In addition to product performance, the company and what they stand for mean a lot to me. ProGold and their chain lube hit the mark for me for over 2,800 miles : )

Submitted by Scott Thigpen a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: September 12, 2013

Strengths:    ProLink works in many different environments whether you're riding through a muddy cyclocross race or the arid dry elements in Moab.

Weaknesses:    The application for putting it on can be cumbersome the first time around.

Bottom Line:
I did the Tour Divide Mountain bike race in 2013 and carried five or six small bottles of ProLink with me and it worked wonders. For the entire 2,853 miles I was out there I only had my chain slip once. I could ride in excess of 200 miles between applications and everything held up wonderfully. Even in the wet, muddy areas the lube kept my chain from messing up as well as in the dry desert.

While my heart lies in mountain biking, I use ProLink on my road and cyclocross bike as well so it fits my every need.

Favorite Trail:   Gold Dust, Breckenridge Colorado

Bike Setup:   Niner S.I.R. 9 Singlespeed steel frame, rigid carbon fork

Submitted by Lauren

Date Reviewed: September 11, 2013

Strengths:    price

Weaknesses:    Not a great lube for areas with much sand/dirt - which I would assume would be most places that we have come across - attracted so much dirt and grime

Bottom Line:
I would not buy this type of lube again. It just attracted way more dirt/sand than we have ever experienced with other lubes.

Submitted by tom sampson

Date Reviewed: September 9, 2013

Strengths:    easy application, works in all conditions, good value.

Weaknesses:    i havent run into any, and if it keeps working in the varying new england conditions like it has, i dont think i will

Bottom Line:
awesome lighter weight lube. works in any condition. its a nice do it all lube, no need for a bunch of lubes for different conditions.

Progold Prolink Chain Lube -- Bottle is open & some other **** -- Online shop ripoff?

I got a Progold Prolink chain lube from an online shop. The bottle is open [should it be sealed?]. Also there was some of what's in it at the outside of the bottle; smells like naphthalene. I wonder if they got the lube and put in some other ****? [You may think I'm too suspicious, but if you che ... Read More »

Pakr CC-03 chain wear tester V's Prolink Chain tester

Hi, I used to wait until things skipped and then replaced chain, cluster and chain rings however then I bought a Prolink chain tester and decided to change the chain when it says 100% worn. So far this year I have gone though 6 chains as the tester says they are worn. I just tried my tester o ... Read More »