Home | Reviews | Lube | ProGold

ProGold Foaming Citrus Degreaser Lube

ProGold Foaming Citrus Degreaser is the citurs based foaming lube that the pros go for when they encounter specifically nasty areas on the team bikes. High-impact spray with precision tube and awesome foaming action give this the edge over other citrus ba

Submitted by Jerome Townsend Pro Cyclo-Cross Racer

Date Reviewed: August 11, 2014

Strengths:    Smells nice, works well.

Weaknesses:    Foam dissipates a little faster than I would like

Bottom Line:
I think that the two best features of this product are its degreasing capability and its scent, yes its scent. The reason I say its smell is a VERY nice feature is that not having a garage I have to clean my bike in the house when I cannot do it outside. This either leaves me with a dirty bike or a house smelling of strong odoriferous degreasers. However, when ProGold introduced the citrus degreaser I hoped my problems would be solved. I love many of ProGold's other products and was hoping that this one would continue to impress. Many degreasing products that try to hide their smell with something akin to citrus sacrifice their power, I have NOT been disappointed by this one. It work wonders on a grimy chain while not leaving my living room smelling horrible.
Get after it!!!

Submitted by Jordan Kahlenberg

Date Reviewed: July 15, 2014

Strengths:    Easy to use, great power, lasts a while.

Weaknesses:    None found

Bottom Line:
While many canned degreaser products seem to run out too quickly, ProGold's Foaming Citrus Degreaser almost seems to last forever. My favorite application is on a heavily gunked-up drivetrain while doing a full cleaning. I'll spray this on the cassette, drivetrain, pulleys, and chainring, then scrub down with a small drivetrain brush before spraying clean. Always leaves my drivetrain perfect for the next ride! The foaming action spreads the degreaser for you and helps it work into smaller nooks and crevices that are hard to reach.

Submitted by JoeBinPA a Racer

Date Reviewed: June 28, 2014

Strengths:    Awesome and versatile product that has many uses and has yet to disappoint.

Weaknesses:    None at all

Bottom Line:
I fell in love with this stuff the first time I used it. The ProGold Foaming Citrus Degreaser is awesome stuff with so many different uses. First of all it will get you drive-train looking brand spanking new. Simply spray it on the cassette, chain, and derailleur and let it soak for a few minutes. Then hit it quick with a brush then rinse it off and then good as new! The Foaming Citrus Degreaser is also great for breathing life back into those old gummed up road or mountain shifters that no longer want to engage. Just spray in there and let it do its job and before you know it the shifters are working without hesitation. OK and here is yet another use for this stuff....overhauling that dirty old crusted up bottom bracket shell. Once again spray the foam in there and let it go to town breaking up all the old crud, then wipe out and voila!

I have even used this stuff on stinky, dirty, nasty mountain bikes shoes. Ill spray the foam on, let its soak for a couple minutes and hit it with a quick brush before rinsing off. The shoes end up looking great and smelling like citrus (a far improvement from sweaty/musty/feet smell).

This product is a must for anyone!!

Submitted by Elizabeth G. a Racer

Date Reviewed: June 22, 2014

Strengths:    Easy to Use. Quick. Effective. Smells great. A product for all types of riders!

Weaknesses:    It should be considered "cheating" ;)

Bottom Line:
Holy cow. I used to have this deal with my husband that I'd do all the cooking if he'd do all the bike cleaning... and I seriously thought I was getting the MUCH better deal. And I was, until I was introduced to ProGold products. They're all awesome, but I became especially smitten with the Foaming Degreaser. Living in Pisgah Forest, NC, I use my fair share of Xtreme Lube (also ProGold) and my drive train gets Straight. Up. Narsty. Along with the rest of my bike. But, spritz a little Foaming Degreaser on the cassette, pulleys, chain, and chainrings, wait a moment, use your Park Tool cassette brush to ease up some of the gunk *optional*, rinse, dry, and follow up with Xtreme Lube and you're rolling in <5 minutes. Seriously.

At this point, I think I'll try to convince my husband to do all the cooking and I'll do the bike cleaning, which is truly the sweeter end of the deal...

Bike Setup:   2014 Santa Cruz Tallboy C SPX XC 29 with pink handlebar streamers

Submitted by SlowerThenSnot

Date Reviewed: May 18, 2014

Strengths:    Gets into the tight nooks and crannies of brake levers sifters and xx1 cassettes. Has resurrected more then a few older sifters at a few shops ive worked at. Smells nice and doesn't seem to be as harsh on skin. Works well on bar tape as well,

Weaknesses:    can be easy to lose straw, some of the wax lubes it doesn't cut through well

Bottom Line:
I really like how this product works, doesn't smell bad, really cuts through the crap. Has a well deserved spot in my tool box

Similar Products Used:   Finish line MUC, White lightning clean streak

Submitted by DPTGernert a Racer

Date Reviewed: May 17, 2014

Strengths:    Love, love, love this product. And do do my friends who bring their neglected box store bikes over for a quick tuneup. I usually just spray this on their drive train wait, a few minutes rinse it off and check cables. I'm done in 10 minutes and they think I slaved over their bike all night. They get a happy bike and I get a cold 6 pack. Best thing is a little goes a looooong way. If the grease is caked on (like a jockey pulley) an old soft bristled toothbrush is all you need to get the job done.

Weaknesses:    It doesn't come in a small, travel sized can, that'll pack easily when space is tight. But who can't find enough space for an extra can of love for the bike.

Bottom Line:
Do yourself a favor and give ProGold products a spin around the block. You'll thank yourself for it, I promise.

Favorite Trail:   Appalachian Bicycle Racing Association

Duration Product Used:   2+ years

Purchased At:   pathfinder of wv

Submitted by bikeit91

Date Reviewed: October 14, 2013

Strengths:    Superb grease and grime cutting strength. Good penetration. Wonderful smell. Easy on your gear and hands. Safe to use on finishes, decals, and fabrics(like chain stay protectors). Highly visible. No residue. Easy application. No mess.

Weaknesses:    The foaming goes away fairly rapidly (over the course of a minute or two), but it lasts just long to get the job done. That just means that you clean your chain before or after you wash the frame, rather than spraying all of your cleaners on at once.

Bottom Line:
ProGold's foaming citrus degreaser is one of my favorite cleaning products for regular use. It's pleasant to use, works like a champ, and is a valued tool in keeping all my bikes in top shape. I even like that they include the small red pipe to apply it on a pin point, exactly where it needs to go. That really helps to get it in all the nooks and crannies of a derailleur. Bottom line is that if this isn't in your cleaning pail, it should be.