Home | Reviews | Lube | Pedros

Pedros Ice Wax Lube

3.18/5 (111 Reviews)

The first layer is a water-based detergent that cleans the surface of the chain without using harmful solvents; the second layer is a silicone/teflon lubricant that penetrates into the links of the chain and then hardens into a amorphous (soft) wax.

Submitted by hal0ofwint3r a All Mountain Rider from Paradise, PA, USA

Date Reviewed: February 9, 2012

Strengths:    quiet and clean shifts, cleans as you ride, keeps dirt off chain, no mess

Weaknesses:    none at all

Bottom Line:
i don't know why people give such a bad rap for this product. 1, read the directions. 2, why would you not want to lube your chain before each ride? doesn't make sense. if i were to step outside right now with my bike and start riding, i'd want to make sure it's CLEANED & LUBED before each ride, so performance is at BEST. 3, why would you use it for wet conditions? i see people say not great for wet conditions. that's what syn lube is for, or any other wet conditions lube. yes, you will go through puddles of water or mud in dry conditions still, but i've used this stuff for a while and still haven't had a problem with it yet. maybe people aren't applying enough on their chain.

Favorite Trail:   any trail for a bike

Purchased At:   online, LBS

Similar Products Used:   pedro's syn lube, finish line dry lube

Submitted by rideronthestorm a Weekend Warrior from San Francisco, CA

Date Reviewed: October 6, 2009

Strengths:    It works

Weaknesses:    you do have apply before each ride. Chain does need to be clean.

Bottom Line:
Bottom line on this is that it works as long as you apply to a clean chain. It does keep your chain clean in dusty loose conditions. I used pro link and it's good but sand and dust stuck to it a lot more then using a wax lubricant. I'll continue to use it until I try something better this it.

Submitted by Julian a Weekend Warrior from Australia

Date Reviewed: June 9, 2009

Strengths:    *It cleans the chain well

Weaknesses:    *You have to reapply it before each ride. Who would want to waste their time doing that?
*The directions on how to use it (which are supposed to be for 'first-time users') are vague. They don't tell you where exactly you need to apply the lubricant. Apparently, it's quite important that you apply the lubricant on parts other than the chain, or you risk damaging your drivetrain.
*The main advantage of the product - that it is a cleaner and lubricant in one product - is useless, unless you enjoy maintaining your bike after each ride.

Bottom Line:
I definitely would not recommend this product. It would be more worthwhile to buy a degreaser and a conventional lubricant. Buying these separately might be a bit more expensive, but at least you won't have to waste time and get yourself dirty applying the ridiculous ice wax on your bike before each ride.

Submitted by skerry00 a Cross Country Rider from Blacksbrug, VA

Date Reviewed: May 2, 2009

Strengths:    ZERO

Weaknesses:    A few miles (10 or so) in and my drivetrain is screaming. This stuff doesn't last.

Bottom Line:
Skip it.

Similar Products Used:   White Lightning, Boeshield, Prolink

Bike Setup:   '09 Titus El Guapo

Submitted by Russ a Cross Country Rider from Calgary AB Canada

Date Reviewed: April 22, 2009

Strengths:    Cleans while you ride.

Weaknesses:    Not a weakness but you do have to reapply after (or before) every ride

Bottom Line:
Conventional lube vs wax lubes is like the chevy vs ford debate. There are valid points on both sides of the argument. Bottom line is it comes down to preference. If you're the type of rider that likes to lube up on occation and ride until your chain is black and filthy before you clean it, stick with the conventional. If you don't mind dabbing a little on after (or before) each ride, and you like a product that repells dirt and grime rather than inviting it to stick to your drivetrain, this is a great product. One of the reviews says, "this will damage your drive train", that is not true provided your chain is perfectly clean before application. Problems can arise however if you apply any waxy lube on a dirty chain...then it will damage your drivetrain! MAKE SURE YOUR CHAIN AND CASSETTE ARE CLEAN BEFORE APPLYING! Reapplication is required because of how waxy lubes work. As you ride your chain picks up dirt. With a conventional lube this dirt sticks to your chain. With a waxy lube, the the dirt chips off and takes a small amount of lube with it. After a long ride there won't be much lube left. Hence, the need for reapplication. Pedro's Ice wax lasts about as long as other similar products. Lastly, this is not a good lube for consistantly wet areas such as the northwest coast. If you ride in coastal areas it's probably better to stick to a conventional lube.

Favorite Trail:   Maah Daah Hey ND

Purchased At:   Can't remember

Similar Products Used:   White Lightning

Bike Setup:   Giant Reign 1: XT Comp Spec. Fox suspension front and back

Submitted by corey a Weekend Warrior from se usa

Date Reviewed: February 8, 2008

Strengths:    cheap, beats wet lubes in dry conditions.

Weaknesses:    don't last long

Bottom Line:
as far as dry lubes go, this one doesn't work as well as others. about 20 miles and time to start over with the clean and apply. Cmon that;s one days riding. White lightning last about 40 miles,a little better, but the best dry lube out there is extreme from rock and roll. see reviews for it

Favorite Trail:   dirt and rock

Purchased At:   lbs

Similar Products Used:   white lightning
rock and roll extreme

Bike Setup:   xc

Submitted by Dennis from Athens, Greece

Date Reviewed: January 3, 2008

Strengths:    Keeps your chain clean and lubed... for about 20 miles or so.

Weaknesses:    It doesn't last. Period. It will damage your drivetrain.

Bottom Line:
This product is a joke. It's very good for keeping your chain clean, but that's what degreasers are for. I had high hopes for it, but ended up disappointed. I hear some people mix it with more durable lubes to achieve longevity, but I'm not about to become a chemist to keep my chain clean and lubed.

2.5 stars (Value) for keeping my chain clean.

2 stars (Overall) for keeping my chain clean.

Similar Products Used:   Wax Lubricant (Finish Line), but I didn't know much about lubricants back then, so no comment.

Bike Setup:   Irrelevant.

Submitted by JD Baldwin a Weekend Warrior from Kalamazoo, MI, USA

Date Reviewed: August 14, 2007

Strengths:    Nice, quiet, penetrating lube that will last forever in dry conditions.
Easy to apply.

Weaknesses:    Not really long-lasting in mud
To apply it properly, it should be left on the chain thick, for a few hours in the sun

Bottom Line:
Not a bad lube at all, and really excellent if your chain isn't going to be spattered with mud and wet grit.

Favorite Trail:   Potowatomi, Pinckney, MI

Similar Products Used:   I've tried most lubes

Bike Setup:   Stock Trek Fuel EX 9.5 w/SRAM components and Shimano chain

Submitted by Erik St-Gelais a Downhiller from Middleton, NS, Canada

Date Reviewed: July 23, 2007

Strengths:    It cleans while you ride, it last longer than they say

Weaknesses:    none, its lube, if it works, well, it works lol

Bottom Line:
Its woth the money

Purchased At:   the pedal stop, Sportwheels

Submitted by Nick a Weekend Warrior from Michigan

Date Reviewed: July 1, 2007

Strengths:    none

Weaknesses:    makes mess, smells bad, does not last, not cheap, warning label

Bottom Line:
First of all this stuff does not last. I have applied the product exactly as the label specifies to find a quite drive train for about 10 miles then chattering starts. It does do a decent job of cleaning but who wants to carry lube with them on 40-50 mile road rides? Not I! My chain has about 1000 miles on it and is worn out maybe due to lube that lasts about 20 minutes? I have used this stuff on my mountain bike and same results. I am just looking for something that will last at least one ride and keep my chain from wearing out. I am going to try pro link pro gold next and what happens. Stay away from this stuff because it just does not last. Also the label says the vapors are harmful....killing brain cells and killing chains...great product.

Purchased At:   Dick's sporting goods

Bike Setup:   Road bike: Giant TCR2
MTB: Fisher Piranha

Submitted by John a Cross Country Rider from Littleton, CO

Date Reviewed: May 20, 2007

Strengths:    Keeps dirt off the drive train and keeps it clean. Works in all conditions, wet, dry, and in between. No waxy build up like other wax lubes. Affordable.

Weaknesses:    Doesn't last really long (follow the directions and apply before each ride).

Bottom Line:
I read the reviews on this site before using the lube. I've followed the advice and the printed directions and I've been happy with the performance. It definitely keeps my drive train cleaner than any other lube that I've used. It will wear quickly at times but has never left me high and dry during a ride. For the price, this is the best lube I have used and plan on continuing to use it. I've done teflon but it is just expensive and attracts more dirt. Not to mention, when it gets wet, you don't want teflon. Follow the directions and you'll be happy.

Favorite Trail:   Deer Creek Canyon

Purchased At:   Performance

Similar Products Used:   White Lightning, Pedro's Syn Lube, Finish Line Teflon

Bike Setup:   Basically the standard Yeti ASR-SL Race Disc kit with two deviations (brakes and front tire). FOX F100 RLT fork, Fox RP3 shock, CANE CREEK S-2 headset, RACE FACE DEUS LP crankset, SRAM X-GEN Front, SRAM X.0 Rear, SRAM X.9 shifters, SRAM PG-970 cassette, SHIMANO HYPERGLIDE chain, SHIMANO XT hubs front and rear, MAVIC XM819 DISC UST rims, Hutchinson Barracudas (2.1 Rear, 2.3 front), Avid Juicy Seven brakes, RACE FACE handlebar, THOMSON steam, YETI HARD CORE grips, : YETI / WTB ROCKET V TI saddle, THOMSON seatpost, Shimano 540 pedals

Submitted by Frustrated a Cross Country Rider from Hamilton, Ontario, Canada

Date Reviewed: May 1, 2007

Strengths:    Keeps Chain Clean! Inexpensive, Easy To Use,

Weaknesses:    Wow where do I begin? This is a ok product for a one day use. I am hoping that you get that out of it.

Bottom Line:
The Bottom Line is simple. We have put men on the moon and vehicles on other planets but we can't come up with a bicycle chain lubricant that works! For every lubricant that I used it had at most 1 good aspect about it, unfortunetly 10 negative aspects as well! Good Luck people! After Tri-Flow I'm going to try one other lube called ProGold ProLink and if it doesn't work You will see me on TV when i throw my Trek off the CN Tower!

Favorite Trail:   Kelso Conservation Area

Purchased At:   Main Cycle & Sport

Similar Products Used:   WD-40, 10w-30 Motor Oil, White Lightning, Ice wax, Mineral Oil, Olive Oil, Extra virgin olive oil, Vegi Oil, Disel fuel,

Bike Setup:   Trek 6000 Hardtail,

Submitted by Jim from Waukegan, Illinois, USA

Date Reviewed: April 13, 2007

Strengths:    Good cleaner

Weaknesses:    Doesn't last very long. Seems like I haven't lubed the chain in months. Squeaks and make noise.

Bottom Line:
I would not recommend this product. I bought it because it was on sale and was recommended by a magazine. I figured it would be similar to the white lightning wax type product. I cleaned my chain and applied as recommended. While riding I noticed squeaks and other friction like noises that I had never heard before.

After using the product for several months I have concluded that it just doesn't last and is a poor lubricant. I have two full bottles and another that is mostly full that I will not be using. Going back to the white lightning, which I used before.

In short, it makes my chain sound and feel like it is dried out, not lubed and really dirty. I would not recommend it.

Similar Products Used:   White Lightning.

Submitted by John a Weekend Warrior from York County, Maine USA

Date Reviewed: November 1, 2006

Strengths:    quiet and clean

Bottom Line:
My highest-value use for this is off-season riding with my road bike on a trainer - no messy discharge onto the rug/floor like oil-based lubes (when I used oil lubes I used to put cardboard under the trainer), and it has been acceptable on the road rides I've taken it on - but I throw down a layer of Pedro's extra-dry oil-based before I put the wax on if I'm going outside, which has worked really well for me. I might try it on longer off-road rides but the reviews of folks who've used it for that will probably make me carry a small bottle of something else in my pack when I do...

Purchased At:   eBay