Home | Reviews | Lube | Pedros

3.87/5 (31 Reviews)

Pedros Extra Dry Lube

Submitted by DonM a Cross Country Rider from Belfast, Maine

Date Reviewed: May 18, 2009

Strengths:    Easy to apply, can be used to clean and lube chain. Used liberally - cheap if you buy it in bulk, only $65 for 128 oz (1 gallon) - it's awesome! Very clean stuff!! I ride in dry, wet and muddy conditions and it handles everything great! Lasts for day long epic rides.

Weaknesses:    None, if used as recommended. Use disposable plastic eyedroppers to reach jockey wheels, derailleurs, and cables.

Bottom Line:
Buy it in bulk. I paid $65 for a gallon. I use this stuff to CLEAN AND LUBE my chain: Wipe your chain off if it's dirty. Run it backwards 5 or 6x and drip lube onto rollers. Run it backwards another 10x. Then use a rag and clean off the excess. Repeat a few times if chain is really dirty or muddy until rag is streaked light gray from product and not black from dirt. Use the rag to clean the cassette, jockey wheels and crank. It only takes me 2 minutes to clean a really muddy chain. I also lube the derailleurs, jockey wheels and cables using a plastic pipette. I do this every time my chain is filthy.

Favorite Trail:   Nordic Heritage Center, Presque Isle, Maine

Purchased At:   Belfast Bikes

Similar Products Used:   Synthetic oils, spray lubes, dry waxes. You name it, I've tried it.

Bike Setup:   Gary Fisher HiFi w/ full XTR, I-9 hubs and NoTubes rims, Schwalbe Racing Ralph tires. Santa Cruz Blur LT2 w/ race face components

Submitted by Jurcy a Cross Country Rider from Slovenia

Date Reviewed: September 28, 2008

Strengths:    -Good lubrication(resulting in really quiet chain spinning)
-Clean chain
-Really dry
-Easy to apply
-Good for MTB and road

Weaknesses:    I can't remember one weakness.

Bottom Line:
Really good oil and I would recommended to all people use it.

Favorite Trail:   everything in forest

Purchased At:   local bike shop

Similar Products Used:   Motorex Dry Lube

Bike Setup:   Ghost Actinum HTX Team and Giant OCR2

Submitted by Zeke a Weekend Warrior from Chicago

Date Reviewed: August 30, 2006

Strengths:    Good lubricant, keeps my drivetrain clean, dry - no more annoying chain marks on my leg and shoes.

Weaknesses:    Spout is clumbsy when applying in tight areas

Bottom Line:
A dry lube was recommended by my LBS and I bought Pedro's. It's been good so far and is fine for for what I do, which is mainly city riding. Keeps the chain clean and derailleurs working smoothly.

Purchased At:   Johnny Sprockets

Similar Products Used:   Some generic household oil I got at Walgreens. Bad idea. While it did lubricate the parts, it also collected too much dirt and other muck bogging down the whole drivetrain

Bike Setup:   99 Specialized Rockhopper A1 FS, Manitou TI FS fork,

Submitted by Steve Kane a Weekend Warrior from NJ

Date Reviewed: August 26, 2005

Strengths:    no obvious ones

Weaknesses:    attracts dirt like crazy
wears off after an hour, need to re-apply before every ride

Bottom Line:
Don't waste your money. Maybe other dry lubes work better, but I'd go with Phil Wood Tenacious Oil anyday.

Purchased At:   Performance Bike

Similar Products Used:   white lightning

Submitted by Ricksom a Cross Country Rider from Toronto, Canada

Date Reviewed: August 29, 2002

Strengths:    - Penetrates well
- Has some chain cleaning quality
- Lasts through long 2-3 hour rides
- Keeps chain lubed with low resistance
- Resists dust and dirt well for a wet lube
- Doesn't need a lot of applying attention

Weaknesses:    - Let it sit and dry for a few hours before riding

Bottom Line:
Finally, a lube that I can live with after 4 years of trying all sorts. If you wipe it off after applying, and let it dry for a few hours before riding, it stays nice and clean even in heavy dust. Keeps the chain moving with low resistance, which is important if you are a "spinner".

Similar Products Used:   Pedros Ice Wax, Finish Line Krytek, Finish Line Teflon Plus

Bike Setup:   Rocky Instinct with SRAM chain

Submitted by Spence Ring a Cross Country Rider from A. F., Utah

Date Reviewed: July 23, 2002

Strengths:    It lubes your chain?

Weaknesses:    It attracts dust very well. Allows large grease build-ups on your chain. Not very dry.

Bottom Line:
It works ok(the lubing part) but you wouldn't know it because its always building up grease. It only works for me for one ride and then I'm having to degrease my chain.
Unless you like clean grease and dirt build-ups on your chain and components, buy something else.

Favorite Trail:   slickrock, moab

Purchased At:   local bike shop

Similar Products Used:   none of the other products I used dissapointed me like pedros

Bike Setup:   khs

Submitted by Todd Wagner a Racer from SF Bay Area

Date Reviewed: November 30, 2001

Strengths:    Easy to apply

Weaknesses:    I usually lube every week and ride about 200-250 miles per week. With this stuff, the chain gets gummy. It is also really tough to clean and the chain was making a lot of noise.

Bottom Line:
I threw the stuff out.

Purchased At:   Excel

Similar Products Used:   White lightening, other Pedros lubes, Finish Line

Bike Setup:   Cannondale Road 8sp Ergo for Commuting
Erickson with Dura-ace for training and racing

Submitted by John a Cross Country Rider from Jackson, NJ, USA

Date Reviewed: April 11, 2001

Strengths:    Spray applies easily

Weaknesses:    Black gunk, black gunk, black gunk, Black gunk, black gunk, black gunk, Black gunk, black gunk, black gunk, Black gunk, black gunk, black gunk
Does not last long

Bottom Line:
Does not keep my chain as clean as krytech or boeshield. Not very "dry" and attracts dirt.

Similar Products Used:   Boeshield, Krytech, White Lightning

Submitted by ken a Cross Country Rider from santa clarita

Date Reviewed: September 7, 2000

Strengths:    sticks around even in the wet. Is drier than most. Eatable!!! (I think)

Weaknesses:    tastes bad

Bottom Line:
Cool company and great product for road, mount or breakfast.

Favorite Trail:   porcupine, moab

Similar Products Used:   WAX, finish line, ect...

Bike Setup:   clark kent f-16

Submitted by raful a Weekend Warrior from jerusalem

Date Reviewed: August 31, 2000

Strengths:    lubes

Weaknesses:    collects dirt, even if it's supposed for dry!
you have to relude after every 5-6 hours xc, so it might not last for a singlr long trip.

Bottom Line:
its ok when it fresh, but dosen't last long.
dissapointing for dry condition because it collects quite a lot of dirt.

Bike Setup:   xt-lx

Submitted by Tom a Cross-Country Rider from Las Vegas, NV

Date Reviewed: September 24, 1999

Strengths:
This stuff keeps your chain running smooth without having to hear it squeak like your buddy without it.

Weaknesses:
Be sure to clean your chain after dusty rides.

Bottom Line:
You can't go wrong running pedro's. You don't have to worry about miss shifts or the chirpping of your chain.

1 Year

tri-flow, finish line,white lighting

Submitted by Charlie a Cross-Country Rider from Sunnyvale, CA

Date Reviewed: July 8, 1999

Strengths:
lubricates well. Stays on in the wet. doesn't get the chain as mucked up as heavier lubes

Weaknesses:
not as clean as waxes. Bottle is so hard that it's difficult to squeeze out the lube.

Bottom Line:
This is the best overall lube because it lubricates extremely well in the dry and very well in the wet yet is not as dirt collecting as other wet lubes. I use Ice Wax in the dry season because it's easier to clean up and I rarely ride more than 3-4 hours at one time (the duration for Ice Wax). Once it starts raining again this winter, I'll switch back to Extra Dry because it works better and I have to clean the bike anyway. I guess I'll give it 5 flamers because it is the best lube (for me at any rate) but in fact, no lube is really worth more than 4 because they all have drawbacks. Lasts long or easy to clean: take your pick.

6 months

all Pedros
Triflow
White Lightning and Race Day
Krytech

Klein HT with Speedgoat forx, USE seat post, SedisSachsSRAM chain

Submitted by Glen a Racer from Sunapee, NH

Date Reviewed: April 3, 1999

Strengths:
Easy to us for all applications

Weaknesses:
none known

Bottom Line:
Pedro's Extra Dry is the perfect all around stuff. I like different Pedro's Lubes for different condiions, Synlube ATB for Muddy and wet, Ice Wax for all conditions. Extra Dry works well for lubing cables, brakes, levers and derailluers. It's the all around stuff.

more than 3 years

All the lubes

Submitted by Gerry a cross-country rider from Winchester, MA

Date Reviewed: January 6, 1999

Bottom Line:

I used Pedro's Extra Dry for about 2 months (about 20 1-hr rides) as recommended by the dealer of my new Super-V and found I had to relube after every 2-3 rides or shifting into the granny ring would suck or slip off. Also, it does collect some dirt. Then I switched to ProLink chain lube. So far, I have about 8 hours of riding on the first lubing with ProLink and shifting is still smooth as silk. I got it instead of the other well known lubes because no one in these pages seemed to be very happy with any of them. ProLink may be the answer. For $20 I got three 6-oz bottles and a needle-like affair to lube cables, etc, which has really been handy. Give them a ring at 800-421-5823, 404-766-3990, or visit their web site at . Great stuff. Try it. As for Pedro's Extra Dry, 3 chilies 'cause it works OK but it should be better.

Submitted by Trevor McIlroy a cross-country rider from Lethbridge, Alberta, Canada

Date Reviewed: October 28, 1998

Bottom Line:

This lube was recomended by my LBS. I bought it and use it about once every 10 rides. I dont really notice that much of a difference when I apply it. My chain gets dirty and I dont know if this stuff comes off when it gets wet. I never miss a shift or get chainsuck even when I havnt lubed for 2 weeks and it is raining and I have all Alivio components. This is an OK lube because I only have used dura lube and some castrol stuff. This is a bit cleaner also. 4 stars because it lubes but costs more than other stuff.

Where can I get Pedros Extra Dry lube ?

Apparently, Pedros has discontinued this great lube, which got me hooked several years ago after trying way too many lubes. I'm looking to buy a whole crate of this stuff if it still exists in Canada, or U.S.? Sorry for the lame post, but I just don't like drippy dust catching lubes, and those ... Read More »