Home | Reviews | Lube | Mobil

Mobil Motor Oil Lube

3.4/5 (10 Reviews)

Same as for the car. Some people use it on the bike.

Submitted by Ryan a Weekend Warrior from Niagara Falls

Date Reviewed: January 13, 2007

Strengths:    Apply, and forget about it.

Weaknesses:    Makes your chain dirty.

Bottom Line:
A good enough lube for a regular bike. It is cheap, and it keeps the chain quiet. Before i started mountain biking seriously, this was used on all of my family's bikes. Just apply it once, and it lasts a long time. Not the best product for a serious mountain biker though.

Purchased At:   Garage

Similar Products Used:   Bike lubes

Bike Setup:   Nothing special

Submitted by Duane a Cross Country Rider from Lakewood, CO

Date Reviewed: August 1, 2006

Strengths:    Lubes, cleans well. PRICE!!!

Weaknesses:    Not much so far, as long as you keep wiping down the drive train.

Bottom Line:
This is a follow up posting from my previous of a year ago. I cut the Mobil 1 oil, 50/50, with mineral spirits from the local hardware store. As staight oil, it got gooey, and made a mess of the drive train. With the solvent mix, it works great! I don't know if a 50/50 mix is optimum, but you can experiment. You have to wipe off the drive train (maybe a couple times per application), but that's required for a lot of lubes anyway. The solvent cleans things up, and then evaporates. What's left is the lube. I suggest lubing AFTER your ride, giving the solvent time to evaporate in time for your next ride.
This stuff works at least as good as any special bike lube that costs $50 a quart. Rock n Roll works well, but jeez, it's way too expensive compared to this.

Purchased At:   Cosco

Similar Products Used:   Rock n roll, Pedro's Ice Wax, White Lightening

Bike Setup:   Santa Cruz Blur

Submitted by Mario Javier a Weekend Warrior from Oakville

Date Reviewed: June 19, 2006

Strengths:    Inexpensive

Weaknesses:    Attract dirt, hard to clean

Bottom Line:
After 4 years of not riding my bike, I decided to take it out the other day to work. As I was looking for oil to lube the chain, I decided to use this oil from my leftover oil changed. I realized that this oil is thicker than the normal lube, so I put it on wiped off the excess. When I finished riding, I noticed the large amount of dirt accumulated on the drivetrain. I rinsed it off using Simple Green and soap. The oil doesn't leave a black stain on my hands, I guess that is what synthetic is.
I recommend this stuff to anyone and do yourself a favour get a bottle and save money.

Favorite Trail:   Kelso, Bronte Creek Provincial Park

Purchased At:   Canadian Tire

Similar Products Used:   Pedro

Bike Setup:   Gary Fisher X0, full XT and Raceface components

Submitted by weekend warrior a Weekend Warrior from Puget Sound

Date Reviewed: February 22, 2006

Strengths:    Stays on in PNW winters

Weaknesses:    Dirty

Bottom Line:
I thinned this with a variety of things, from white gas to paint thinner. Always 10/90, oil to thinner. Don't need much oil. I mainly used the combination as a chain cleaner that happened to lube also.

It was superior to everything I tried. But . . . I stopped using it because it is a mess when you have to fix a flat. That oil got into everything. My clothes looked like crap. I find in our wet winters here Epic works well, and I'm partial to Rock'n Roll during the summers.

Similar Products Used:   about 1/2 of all lubes available

Bike Setup:   Two recumbents, one DF roadie, and MTB

Submitted by Duane a Cross Country Rider from Lakewood

Date Reviewed: July 20, 2005

Strengths:    Lubes well, I guess

Weaknesses:    Collects dirt, turns into a gooey mess eventually.

Bottom Line:
This stuff might lube well, but what a mess. Turned into a gooey black slime all over the drive train. I might try the guy belows suggestion and dilute it 50% with a solvent. Maybe it would be thinner, AND serve to clean the chain. Still seems like you need to wipe it off a couple times before the ride.

Purchased At:   Costco

Similar Products Used:   all sorts of "bike" lubes.

Bike Setup:   Santa Cruz blur

Submitted by Mike T. a Cross Country Rider from Ontario Canada

Date Reviewed: July 8, 2004

Strengths:    Inexpensive! Lasts as long, if not much longer, than anything else I've ever tried.

Weaknesses:    It's not the sexy "lube of the month" in a handy dandy container.

Bottom Line:
I use Mobil synthetic engine oil mixed with mineral spirits in a 50:50 ratio. This stuff performs better than most chain lubes I've tried and much better than some. But the biggest benefit is its cost. You can get a liter of oil and spirits giving you two whole liters of chain lube for the price of one dinky bottle of the fancy stuff.

The spirits is a paint thinner which dilutes the lube making it thinner so that it can flow into the chain's internals. If left overnight the thinner evaporates leaving the oil behind.

It's great for all conditions as, if done right, it doesn't attact much dirt and it's where it should be - inside the chain bushings and pins.

Do this for quick, easy, long-lasting chain cleaning and lube -

Spray a rag with WD40 and grip the chain's bottom run. Back pedal the chain thru the rag to get off most of its guck. Drip one drop of lube per roller. Back pedal through a clean rag. Leave overnight and repeat the last step before riding. This gets rid of most of the outside lube that does nothing but pick up dirt.

Repeat when the chain looks dry. I store some of my lube in one of the fancy lube drip bottles. I'm NEVER going back to those expensive lubes.

Purchased At:   Wal-mart

Similar Products Used:   Just about every special chain lube you can think of.

Bike Setup:   Seven Sola, Pace rigid CF fork, Boone Ti rings, Moots Ti post and stem. SRAM shifting.

Submitted by Ben from MI

Date Reviewed: June 22, 2004

Strengths:    Cheap & abundant

Weaknesses:    Attracts dirt & dust

Bottom Line:
Seems like it would be great if used in a low dust area. I tested it on a dusty 10 mile long path. I applied Mobil 1 10W-30 to the chain with a tooth brush and then wiped off the excess by gripping the chain with a rag and spinning the chain through the rag multiple times. Unfortunately the chain had too much dirt on it after the run.

Similar Products Used:   White Lightning, Amsoil Heavy Duty Metal Protector

Submitted by dirk a Cross Country Rider from bonn, germany

Date Reviewed: December 3, 2002

Strengths:    lubes the stupid chain like it should

Weaknesses:    doesn´t cost 20 $ per ml

Bottom Line:
used this several times on my street racing mtb (which means several years as i never was the service-my-bike-type, never had any problems with dirt - just clean the outside of the chain and be happy

Purchased At:   everywhere

Similar Products Used:   with my new bike i tried some "stylish" product;
pedros ice wax - fxcking expensive and i´m not shure it does
the job half as good as motor oil does.

Bike Setup:   specialized stumpjumper comp - xt all over
now rocky mtn element deluxe

Submitted by DeReave a Cross Country Rider from Or

Date Reviewed: March 1, 2002

Strengths:    cheap, does not cause cancer

Weaknesses:    Wanna know the fastest way to gum up your chain and make a huge mess? MOTOR OIL!

Bottom Line:
Well it would work just fine if you if you stay on nice dry paved paths with no pociblity of dust.

Submitted by The Amazing Kreskin a Cross Country Rider from City,State,Country

Date Reviewed: February 20, 2002

Strengths:    Cheap. Works. 'Nuff said.

Weaknesses:    Doesn't cure cancer

Bottom Line:
Motor oil is all you need and better than any of the other specialty foo-foo lubes. And for a couple bucks you get a QUART of stuff that only needs a small drop per link, instead of seven or eight bucks for a couple of ounces of stuff that you have to slather on. Clean your chain once in a while, let dry and put a small drop of oil on each link. Wipe of the outside of the chain with a rag and you're good to go; rain or shine.

I can't believe I'm the first one to review this. "Oil... how quaint". Let me hype it up with 5 thermonuclear habañeros.

Favorite Trail:   the next one