Home | Reviews | Lube | Mobil

4.91/5 (11 Reviews)

Mobil Mobil 1 Synthetic Spray Lubricant

Submitted by Gerry Padnos from Raleigh NC

Date Reviewed: January 9, 2007

Strengths:    Wish I knew

Bottom Line:
Just wanted to let everyone know that I tried to find this based on the reviews and couldn't. I contacted a Mobil distributor and was told it has been discontinued. He's not a bike guy, but called it "the best spray lubricant ever made". He recommended Mobil 1 grease for bearings. I think I'm going to try it. Its a lot cheaper than bike specific greases (same price for 4x the amount). He said its used on 747 wheels and doesn't attract dirt. "Used in liftime lube applications".

Purchased At:   CANNOT BUY ANYMORE

Submitted by John Harmon a Weekend Warrior from Framingham, MA

Date Reviewed: April 11, 2006

Strengths:    Relatively cheap. Doesn't attract dirt. Lasts forever.

Weaknesses:    Was always hard to find. I got some online from a company that only sells industrial lubricants.

Bottom Line:
Try to get some anywhere you can. This stuff is better than anything else I've tried.
It lasts and lasts...well until it gets dirty, which takes a while because it doesn't seem to attract dirt (especially for a wet lube). This might sound strange, but my chains on my road bike stay better, longer.
Mobil could probably re-introduce this product under a new name as a bike lube and sell it for $8 for a small bottle.
BTW, it works on everything else as well; car doors, house doors, drawers, tools.

Purchased At:   online

Similar Products Used:   Pedros. It's been so long I can't remember the others.

Bike Setup:   Custom road bike with DuraAce. Low priced Mt. Bike that I enjoy beating on.

Submitted by Wayne a Weekend Warrior from Houston

Date Reviewed: June 2, 2005

Strengths:    Does not attract dirt. Excellent lubricant. Cheap. Lasts a long time.

Weaknesses:    They no longer make this stuff, but I cleared out several Big Lots of theres. Stock up if there is any left...

Bottom Line:
Grab it if you can find it.

Purchased At:   Big Lots

Submitted by Greg a Cross Country Rider from Akron, OH, USA

Date Reviewed: August 14, 2003

Strengths:    Same as prior posts. Its pretty clean to us and does nice job in all conditions

Weaknesses:    They quit making it in the large 13 oz cans, so you go thru smaller cans pretty quick

Bottom Line:
Good stuff to use that does not seem to be as expensive as the "bike specific" lubes.

Its not hard to find! Many online lube product dealers have it and you can order by the box, which is what I did. You will not find it at Walmart or local chain stores.

Favorite Trail:   All favorite

Purchased At:   Online lubricant dealer

Similar Products Used:   Various oils & sprays

Bike Setup:   Titus Racer X

Submitted by Ben a Cross Country Rider from San Diego, Ca

Date Reviewed: August 13, 2003

Strengths:    Doesn't collect dust, silent and smooth shifting.

Weaknesses:    Very ard to find. Only comes in spray bottle.

Bottom Line:
Was a little hesitant trying a product not "designed for mountain biking", but after about 100 miles of singletrack, I am very impressed. Drivetrain has remained absolutely silent through some very dusty conditions. (tri-flow would be clicking already) Shifting is spot on. No dirt buildup on the chain whatsoever. Still waiting to see how it handles the creeks, but so far so good.

Favorite Trail:   Flightline

Purchased At:   Online

Similar Products Used:   Water, Sour Cream, Olive Oil

Bike Setup:   Giant XC, Shimano and SRAM stuff...

Submitted by Anthony Senger a Cross Country Rider from New Berlin, WI, USA

Date Reviewed: June 11, 2002

Strengths:    SUPER SMOOOOOOTH, universal lube, confidence of the Mobil brand name and expertise!

Weaknesses:    Comes in a "SPRAY" bottle, if your not careful this stuff mists all over and then it WILL pick up a lot of dust/dirt...

Bottom Line:
OK. So, I've only got one ride on the stuff (although it was 25 miles of technical madness!), but the lube certainly was smooth and quiet everywhere I had sprayed it!!! I also think that after I hosed off the bike it looked like the parts were still "oiled" pretty well as the water was being repelled...

I mentioned the spray can thing, and that's really my only gripe (although minimal as it isn't marketed as a bike lube)... I'm going to have to devise some sort of drip bottle for the chain as the overspary all over the rear end of the bike became like a dust magnet during the ride. On a good side though, it was real easy to squirt on all the other parts like the joints, pedals, and derrailuers!

All in all this stuff seems like it will be my new lube of choice... tough to find though, as I had to order on the internet... and seems real important to clean the chain, completely dry it, lube it, and then REALLY wipe it clean.

Purchased At:   avlube.com

Similar Products Used:   WD40, White Lightning, Pedro's Ice Wax

Bike Setup:   TOMAC 78 Special, Full SRAM 9.0 SL, Avid Disk Brakes, etc.

Submitted by M Brown a Cross Country Rider from Denver, CO

Date Reviewed: May 19, 2002

Strengths:    Wet or dry performance. It can be used on the drivetrain, cables and shifting mechanisms. Really, all you need is this and grease for the bike's lubrication needs.

Cheaper. One can costs 1/4 or less than for "bike-specific" lubes.

Weaknesses:    Best when applied the night before and really wipe away the excess after it has soaked through.

Bottom Line:
I haven't tried the Slick 50 1 Lube, but I'm all for using a non-bike specific lube because of the lesser cost. The Mobil 1 Synthetic Spray lube is another example of a superior product that is packaged for home/automotive use, and is cheaper for it.

This product works great if you apply/dry/wipe off. It attracts little dirt and dust and won't wash off.

Purchased At:   mobil.com

Similar Products Used:   Pedros's, Finish Line, Tri-Flow.

Bike Setup:   SRAM 99 chain.

Submitted by Brad Howe a Weekend Warrior from Lawndale

Date Reviewed: May 2, 2001

Strengths:    Doesn't attract dirt, goes a long way, smells good?

Weaknesses:    Availablility

Bottom Line:
This lube is the best I have used. Just rode 60+ miles through gravel roads, sand, dust ect, chain is still clean! Shifting was great all day. Used it on derailures all pivot/moving parts and they are dirt free also. Great product!

Favorite Trail:   South Mountain

Purchased At:   Online

Similar Products Used:   Finish line Teflon Dry, TriFlow, WD40

Bike Setup:   Mongoose NX8.1

Submitted by ElefantDude a Cross Country Rider from Phoenix

Date Reviewed: November 3, 2000

Strengths:    Cheap... Durable... Clean...

Weaknesses:    None really, unless you use too much and don't wipe off excess!

Bottom Line:
I bike about 100 miles a week, through dirt trails, gutters on the side of the street, alleys, etc. and this stuff is great! I use Simple Green Degreaser about every 2 weeks to clean up the chain, pulleys, derailleurs, etc. and then apply the Mobile 1 lubricant. I pedal for a few minutes, then take a rag and pedal some more, with the rag around the chain to wipe off the excess. It's like changing the oil in your car/truck every 2000/3000 miles, which is rare for me, 'cuz I'm piling up the miles on my bike!!!

Purchased At:   AutoZone

Bike Setup:   Trek VRX200 - all stock equipment...

Submitted by Greg a Weekend Warrior from Cleveland, NC

Date Reviewed: November 14, 1999

Strengths:
Cheap !!!!Doesn't seem to be a dust magnet. My chain is very smooth, the stuff really stays on very well. I like it in a spray can just the way it is. I use a clean, lint free rag under the chain to catch the over spray. I am very pleased with it. Also it washes off good with spraying on some Simple Green degreaser, and lightly brushing with an old tooth brush. I clean my chain after every ride, which takes me about 5 minutes or less. It sparkles!!!!!!!!!!!!

Weaknesses:
Iv'e only found it at Auto Zone, sure wish Walmart carried it.

Bottom Line:
You can't beat it for the price. It's by far the best that I've seen, even if the chain lubes at bike shops were cheaper, I would still stay with the Mobile. Mobile has been making lubricates a lot longer than these at your local shops.

less than 1 month

Slick 50, Castle chain&cable lube.

Trek 6500
Rock Shox Judy

Submitted by MastrJA a Cross-Country Rider from Lake Villa IL

Date Reviewed: September 21, 1999

Strengths:
Low cost (compared to bike shop lubes)
Stays very clean for a wet lube
Durable

Weaknesses:
Only available in stupid spray can

Bottom Line:
For what it costs, this stuff ROCKS. A lot of people here seem to like the Slick 50 product, and I agree it's good, but it gathers dirt like your typical wet lube so I decided to try this stuff (which was next to it on the shelf at AutoZone). MUCH better. It lasts longer; it's almost TOO damn slick; and even though it's a wet lube it doesn't seem to collect dirt the way wet lubes usually do. My last couple of rides have been on some pretty loose 'n dusty trails and when I get back I can still clearly see the chain glinting in the sun, which would not have been the case with Slick 50 or any of the previous wet lubes I've tried. At $5 a can it's pricier than Slick 50 or WD-40 (its competition in the general market), but it's still WAY cheaper than Finish Line or any of the other bike-specific lubes.My only complaint is that you can't get it any other way than in a spray can. I washed out a little Elmer's Glue squeeze bottle, cut off the white nib from inside the tip, and stuck the spray can's skinny plastic spray straw down into it to make a squeeze/drip bottle, but that's a big hassle and I wish Mobil would package it in a drip bottle for people who need to be a little more selective on what they want lubed.

John Muir

3 months

Finish Line Teflon
Slick 50 One Lube
WD-40
Phil Woods Tenacious

Giant frame, STX rear der, STX-RC front der & crankset, Sachs PC-51 chain, Rollamajig