Home | Reviews | Lube | Manitou

4.4/5 (5 Reviews)

Supension Fork Lube

Submitted by rfrail3

Date Reviewed: January 13, 2014

Strengths:    Good perfomace

Weaknesses:    Expensive

Bottom Line:
It is a good lube, not have any lithium on it, confirmed by the Motorex by email.

Submitted by John a Weekend Warrior from Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Date Reviewed: August 6, 2005

Strengths:    A great lube for Manitou injection port forks.

Weaknesses:    A bit pricey at $20/CAN.

Bottom Line:
So far the only lube I've used on the stock Manitou SX-R that came on my @001 Trek Fuel 90 Disk. I've used it numerous times, it's fast and easy to use with a funky green colour.
Bottom Line: Does an excellent job, so why switch to another or even bother to look for one?!

Purchased At:   Earl's Cycle (went out of business 2003)

Similar Products Used:   Bell Teflon fortified grease on my 1996 Rock Shock Quadra 5.
Only used Manitou Prep M Lube on my 2001 Manitou SX-R.

Bike Setup:   2001 Trek Fuel 90 Disk, 1996 GT Ricochet.

Submitted by Eric W a Cross Country Rider from Henderson Nv.

Date Reviewed: June 1, 2005

Strengths:    Excelent penetration of anodised surfaces and rubber seals.
It is a very light grease that will wick up to higher parts of the shock and seals, instead of just sitting at the bottom of a shocks air cylinder.

Weaknesses:    A bit to light in really hot weather, it can get a little to thin when temps reach 100 F / 40 c.

Bottom Line:
I still use Prep-M during the cooler months here in the desert, but I prefer the Slick Honey during the summer months.
If someone told me to choose between them, because I would only get to use one, from now on, I'de probably pick the Prep-M. Even though the Prep-M gets a little runny during our hell like summers, its simply a matter of repacking the shock a couple of weeks sooner.
This review is based on the premise that it will be used for repacking suspension components.
If a person wants a more general purpose lube, for wheels bearings ect get the Buzzys Slick Honey.
Personaly I have both in my toolbox.
I don't know where the person below got their Prep-M, but I've been buying the stuff since 2000 and have never had any that was lithium based. As far as I know, its allways been a sinthetic grease.

Later, Eric

Similar Products Used:   Buzzys Slick Honey, which is also a great lube.

Submitted by Erik from San Diego

Date Reviewed: August 19, 2004

Strengths:    Very good lube for air shocks and Manitou "injection" shocks. Works great on Fox frameshock rebuilds

Bottom Line:
This is very good lube and works very well over the longterm.

Submitted by Willis Drummond a Weekend Warrior from Colorado

Date Reviewed: May 9, 2002

Strengths:    Seems to work ok on Manitou shocks.

Weaknesses:    Full of Lithium...bad on every other type of shock.

Bottom Line:
Maybe OK on Manitou, but definitely don't use it on anything else. I imagine Judy Butter works good for "dry" systems like a SID, but Slick Honey is the best all around. Prep-M is full of lithium too, which isn't good for rubber seals...why does manitou recommend this?

Similar Products Used:   Judy Butter, Slick Honey, Teflon lube.

Bike Setup:   Manitou and Marzocchi shocks

Lube - Super Lube, Manitou prep m, other?

I’m about to replace the bushings on my rig. I noticed the Turner site is now showing Super Lube and not the Manitou prep m. Please let me now if you have any recommendations? Also, it seems like a fair amount of shops sell Park's grease. Is this an option? Thanks!Read More »

Prep M to lube Eggbeaters?

I have Manitou forks and the Prep M lube with gun. I also have eggbeater pedals and the fitting the comes with the eggs for lubing is the perfect size to use the eggbeater gun to shoot a couple shots of grease in. Can Prep M be used as a bearing grease? Thanks!Read More »

prep M as general lube

I recently used (in a pinch) some Manitou prep M lube in my seatpost, handlebar, and stem attachment points. Is there any reason why this is not a good idea? Is prep M an acceptable lube for general use or is it shock specific? thanksRead More »