Finish Line Wet (Cross Country) Lube

3.64/5 (33 Reviews)

Ideal for wet or Muddy conditions Lube for wet or muddy riding conditions

Submitted by mmontini6289 a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: September 3, 2013

Strengths:    Long-Lasting, Thick Lubricant, Good for Wet Conditions, Smells Decent (for whatever that's worth)

Weaknesses:    Can collect dirt if you don't clean off excess

Bottom Line:
Despite some negative reviews of this lubricant I gave it a try, and I have to say that my drivetrain works very well now. I ride across small rivers and streams all the time, as well as some wet and muddy conditions. The lube stays on for a long time and my cassette and chain operate smooth and never make a sound. For those who worry about this lube collecting dirt, this is designed for wet/muddy conditions, and under those conditions it does what it is supposed to assuming you wipe off the excess when you apply it to your chain. If you're in a dusty/dry environment, use the dry lube.

Similar Products Used:   Finish Line Dry Lubricant

Bike Setup:   2012 Giant Yukon FX

Submitted by jad a Weekend Warrior

Date Reviewed: April 1, 2013

Strengths:    none

Weaknesses:    dirty

Bottom Line:
ahhhgggg dirty sludge awful. excruciating to clean. keeps the bike dirtier than a pig in a Mexican horehouse.

if you love love black sludge get this lube.
also does not lubricate. only works if you drench the chain. makes bike look like you found it in the junkyard.

Submitted by David C a Weekend Warrior from Montreal, Canada

Date Reviewed: November 11, 2011

Strengths:    Smells good (compared to most lube that smells real bad), it stays on the chain forever and stay wet. This will get your chain trough a full winter commuting n dirty snow. Great also for lubing bushings and some treaded parts where grease seems just wrong.

Weaknesses:    It will get your whole drive train dark grey if you over lube and doesn't wipe off good, like I did the first time.

Bottom Line:
This is for the Finish Line Cross Country Wet Lube Extreme Conditions.

This stuff will stick and stay to your chain, even after a good hot water shower to wash out salt and slush, you'll smell the lube in the water condensation. I can shower my winter bike and this lube will on to prevent the chain from rusting while I let the bike dry out. I use it to lube my rd pulley bushings, shafts and treaded parts when rebuilding derailleurs. I doesn't take a lot of it and it stay there for ever and do its job real good.

Now for dry conditions, if your chain ever need lube, after wiping off clean the chain, just apply about 4 small drops on the overall length of the chain and run it backwards while holding the chain between your finger to spread the lube inside the rollers. Then wipe off and do the same again if it still need more lube. Just be careful NOT TO OVER LUBE, because you'll get a nice black drivetrain, rollers, chainrings&cogs tooth. If possible, try not to use it as your main lube for dry conditions, as there is other lubes who will keep your chain cleaner for dry condition. But for wet riding, use it. Best of the best.

I wouldn't lube my cables with it, but for bushings and similar parts where grease seems too messy or hard to get there, this lube will do a great job. Beware of your brakes surfaces when playing around with that green bottle !

Purchased At:   Bike shop

Bike Setup:   Trail bike, FR bike and snow riding bike

Submitted by Bicycleez a Cross Country Rider from Pittsburgh, PA

Date Reviewed: August 2, 2011

Bottom Line:
This is for the Finish Line Wet Lube (green cap)

Absolute crap! Only put this on your chain if you want a drivetrain that looks like chocolate cake. This stuff attracts every grain of dirt that comes near your drivetrain and leaves it a filthy, sticky mess.

I think mayonnaise would work better.

1 Flamin' Chili because it won't let me select 0 Flamin' Chilis

Purchased At:   Performance

Similar Products Used:   White Lightning, Rock n' Roll

Bike Setup:   XT drivetrain

Submitted by jakethesnakeGT a Weekend Warrior from Arcade, NY USA

Date Reviewed: May 7, 2011

Strengths:    good continued lubrication

Weaknesses:    dirty

Bottom Line:
I've only used if for a few weeks now, but one thing I like about this lube (Finish Line Green Wet lube) is it ability to protect the chain and continue to offer Consistent lubrication. Most of the rides I take are in wetter areas, cricks, rivers etc that you come bombing down a hill and shoot through. With that in mind I'm satisfied with this lubes ability to cling to the chain and offer the needed lubrication through the rest of my ride and some to come. The downside I've noticed as with anything wet is that it does hold onto anything dry, like the dirt and grime your riding through. Certainly making sure to not over apply the lube, and getting it wiped clean of excess will help out a lot. I say, if you are willing to wash your bike after a great ride, don't complain to have to take 2mins to wipe down the chain of gook. Pleased over all by the protection.

Favorite Trail:   Anything I can get!

Purchased At:   Berts Bikes

Bike Setup:   2009 GT Force with Shimano Chain and gear set.

Submitted by sopwithcamel a Cross Country Rider from Edmonton, Alberta, Canada

Date Reviewed: April 7, 2009

Strengths:    Hand's down the best Chain Lube out their. The trick is to clean your chain properly, let dry, then put a drop of "Cross Country" on each link, spin the chain a couple times, let it sit for 10-15 minutes, and then wipe off excess with a clean rag. (old sock)

Weaknesses:    It's not idiot proof. People forget to wipe off the excess then wonder why there chain is attracting dirt.

Bottom Line:
Finish Line Cross Crountry is a great chain lube for people who love their bikes and who do routine maintenance. If your a lazy slacker who does not like bike maintenance use something else like white lightning, the bike shops need the extra business.

Favorite Trail:   Amisk Wuche

Purchased At:   MEC

Similar Products Used:   Triflow, Krytec

Bike Setup:   Titus Racer-X (Carbon) fast,fast, fast!

Submitted by 40hills a Cross Country Rider from North Carolina

Date Reviewed: December 20, 2008

Strengths:    Super long lasting in any kind of conditions.

Weaknesses:    Need to know how to clean and lube a chain properly, unlike the dolts who have written most of the bad reviews here.

Bottom Line:
This lube lasts longer than anything I've ever used. Like I said above though, you have to know how to properly clean and lube a chain. You do not lube a dirty chain, I don't care what the lube claims about "washing out" the dirt and old lube... that's crap. If you lube a dirty chain you're going to get grinding. Yes this lube picks up some surface dirt, but it's inside the links/pins that counts, and it keeps the dirt out of there.

Clean your chain properly with a citrus degreaser, dry it, lube it with this stuff, wipe off the excess several times, then wipe it off again... go ride. It will last and last.

Favorite Trail:   Bent Creek

Purchased At:   Performance

Similar Products Used:   ProLink, Rock'n'Roll, other finish line lubes, homebrew of Mobile1 and Mineral Spirits.

Bike Setup:   Cross country

Submitted by Frs1661 a Cross Country Rider from Rochester

Date Reviewed: July 3, 2008

Strengths:    No problems with chain lubrication, even in wet ocnditions

Weaknesses:    Attracts dirt like crazy. After about a month of use on my chain I had to completely degrease to get all the accumulated dirt off.

Bottom Line:
Always works, but I won't be running this on a regular basis. White lightning has served me well, even in wet conditions, without attracting a fraction of the dirt this lube did.

If you have an important ride in the mud, and you don't mind spending some extra time cleaning up afterwords it may be worth a shot.

Submitted by joseph warren a Racer from cherry vally CA

Date Reviewed: April 17, 2008

Strengths:    none

Weaknesses:    doenst work good for the chain or derailer at all

Bottom Line:
doesnt do what it is intended for at all. it doenst las long at dont waste your money triflow works much better

Similar Products Used:   tri flow

Bike Setup:   jamis

Submitted by Josh from Los Angeles

Date Reviewed: December 1, 2007

Strengths:    Noticeably faster shifting and riding.

Bottom Line:
The best lube I've ever used. I wouldn't want to use anything else after trying this.

Favorite Trail:   Backbone Trail

Purchased At:   Performance Bikes

Submitted by Charlie a Cross Country Rider from Cheraw, SC, USA

Date Reviewed: October 11, 2007

Bottom Line:
I bought this a long time ago just in case I wanted to ride in the rain or mud. I skeeted some of this lube on the chain before going "mud bogging" today, and I was quite impressed with it. I'd gone mud bogging accidentally before with dry lube, and it was an experience to say the least. This stuff goes on thick, but the chain was like butter.

Submitted by Dave a Weekend Warrior from PE, South Africa

Date Reviewed: December 12, 2006

Strengths:    Keeps the chain loose and prevents chain suck in muddy conditions

Weaknesses:    Gunk build up when used in dry conditions. Must be cleaned off after each ride

Bottom Line:
I use this stuff when doing the odd weekend race and definitely when doing long enduros. It's a pain in the butt to clean afterwards but at least you can forget about chain suck. My drive train starts to suck by the mere thought of mud. The finish line red cap works fine in dry dusty/sandy conditions and keeps everything clean but it does not handle the smallest amount of mud and water. Cannot see the benefit of White lightning in longer than 30km (19 miles) rides. It breaks down too fast. It might take a bit longer but I always apply one drop per link the night before a race and wipe the excess off before the start. It might make good grinding paste but at least you can ride with confidence.

Similar Products Used:   White lightning, Squirt, Finish line red cap

Bike Setup:   GT Avalanche 1.0 2006. Stock standard

Submitted by John a Weekend Warrior from Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Date Reviewed: August 6, 2005

Strengths:    Finish Line quality, gets in deep and lubes, only a little is needed, fast and easy to use and at a good price.

Weaknesses:    Gets a lil gunky after 10-15 rides/month or maybe it's just my pet peeve about how long it should take before it gunks up.

Bottom Line:
An excellent product that was 20-80% better then the others in the past that I've tried.
Bottom Line: Sofar it's the best chain lube for my bikes and I don't see a need to change.

Purchased At:   Earl's Cycle (went out of business 2003)

Similar Products Used:   Finish Line Aerosol, White Lightning and Phil Wood's Tenacious Oil.

Bike Setup:   2001 Trek Fuel 90 Disk, 1996 GT ricochet.

Submitted by Grant a Cross Country Rider from Georgia, USA

Date Reviewed: February 12, 2004

Strengths:    This stuff is not for daily use, but in desperate and muddy straits, I guess it will keep you running.

Weaknesses:    Impossible to apply just enough. Even in the conditions for which it is intended, grit combines with the black mess the lube makes as it degrades to completely clog the drivetrain.

Bottom Line:
I used this stuff all last winter because it was unmercifully wet around here. I ran through a chain and cassette way too quickly due to the amount of gunk that the lube encouraged to collect all through the drive train. I let the bottle sit for a year, then applied some yesterday morning, due to a few days of drizzle, having forgotten my experience from last year. The sounds emanating from my cassette as it was ground to a pulp by the stuff clinging to lube and chain were horrifying all through the morning ride. I just got through with the total drive train cleansing, which, again, had forgotten I was doing after every ride last year.
All that being said, I can see how in really muddy conditions that this stuff, despite its faults, would keep you at least up and running. That's why I keep the bottle around, I guess, as a tool of last resort on the day that I am racing at Muddy Mudfestville. Otherwise, I'm laying off the Finish Line Lube.

Favorite Trail:   Dauset Trails