Finish Line Teflon Grease Lube

4.26/5 (27 Reviews)

Synthetic/Teflon (no lithium), approved for Grease Guard systems

Submitted by reschkes a Downhiller from St. Albert, AB, Canada

Date Reviewed: January 4, 2011

Strengths:    Performance, durability

Weaknesses:    None noted

Bottom Line:
I've used this to repack sealed bb bearings, as well as a sealed bearing on a chainguide roller. The product seems to be quite durable in wet conditions, and provides good lubrication. I can't really say whether or not this is the best available product, but it certainly is good.

Favorite Trail:   Blaster-Pioneer-Wildrose

Purchased At:   local shop

Submitted by Carraig042 a Weekend Warrior from East Tennessee

Date Reviewed: September 8, 2010

Strengths:    Does what it is supposed to do.
Does not attract dirt/debris.
Stays on a good bit of time unless it get wet.

Weaknesses:    Comes of faster when wet. (What dry lube does not?)

Bottom Line:
Works well and keeps the chain quite. Does not attract debris that could make the chain wear faster. Since it does not attract debris, it helps keep your derailleur and cassette cleaner. Good price, name brand.

Favorite Trail:   N/A

Similar Products Used:   Grease, whatever comes on chains from factory.

Bike Setup:   N/A

Submitted by Waylo a Racer from Darwin

Date Reviewed: June 26, 2006

Strengths:    Easy to apply. Doesnt attract dirt/grit.

Weaknesses:    Small bottle for price paid

Bottom Line:
Good quality lube which doesnt attract too much dirt. Living in a town where we get 6 months of nothing but rain and then 6 months of no rain at all i have to change my oil to accommodate. This oil so far hasnt let me down and i recommend it to all. I havent really tried any other brands but i havent had any delemmas with this one so why change.

Purchased At:   toyworld

Similar Products Used:   Some hardware store wet oil.

Bike Setup:   Shogun Metro SE

Submitted by Paul no a Downhiller from UK

Date Reviewed: December 4, 2004

Strengths:    Works really well when it's dry. It is quite clean.

Weaknesses:    It REALLY does not do anything at all in the UK Winter- it washes off very easily.

Bottom Line:
The bottom line is, I just cannot get on with wet lubes, they are too messy- so even in the UK Winter, I still apply dry lube -even though it is bad for my transmission (the lube falls off exposing my chain, gears).

In the summer months, this lube does exactly what it says on the can, but for me, pedros extra dry is just as good if not better.

Favorite Trail:   Brecon

Purchased At:   halfords

Similar Products Used:   pedros extra dry. Other wet lubes.

Bike Setup:   ready for DH mayhem

Submitted by D. H. Elliot a Racer from West Mtn NY

Date Reviewed: March 17, 2004

Strengths:    Very clean. Exceptionally clean.
Not sure what the guy below is talking about.
Its a dry lube. Dry = clean.
Also, customer service is unusually good.
no questions asked warranty policy.
They replaced my 3 yr old chain cleaner that developed cracks for free.

Weaknesses:    Burns off after so many miles and leaves a clean chain.
Need to relubricate after 75 or so miles.
You should be doing bolt checks well before then anyway so not a big deal to apply more lubricant.

Bottom Line:
Cleanest lube out there in my 12 yr MTB experience.
May need to relubricate more often than other brands but that is the only drawback.
Chain is cleaner when dry lube burns off than when first applied.
Very neat product good for cables and fork stanchions too.

Favorite Trail:   West Virginia National XC course

Purchased At:   local bike shop

Similar Products Used:   Triflow, pedros, white lightning, T9 boeshield, others

Bike Setup:   XC race hardtail &
DH race bike

Submitted by Kevin a Cross Country Rider from Dillsburg, PA

Date Reviewed: February 7, 2004

Strengths:    Hmm... let me think for a while... nope, can't think of any!

Weaknesses:    When you put it on it's alright but after you're riding for a while it turns to gel. Makes the chain dirtier than the mind of a 13 year old.

Bottom Line:
Don't buy this crap! It doesn't work in dry or wet. You'll have to degrease after every ride to keep all the grit off. This is the worst lube ever! It probably does more harm to your chain than running it without lube would!

Favorite Trail:   Singletrack

Purchased At:   Holmes Cycling

Similar Products Used:   I haven't used anything this bad!

Bike Setup:   2003 Trek Fuel 90 with IRC Mythos XC 2.1 kevlar tires and Kool Stop MTB (salmon and black) brake pads.

Submitted by J-P Malo from Kinnear's Mills

Date Reviewed: February 4, 2004

Strengths:    Excellent in most conditions! Very versatile, prefer dry conditions but can assume wet conditions. It keeps chain ultra clean as it should be.

Bottom Line:
Steady application has to be done for best results.
For more hardcore muddy stuff I prefer Castrol motocross chain lube that sticks so much that it is hard to remove after use. I keep it for my dirty ride/winter bikes only. For the rest...
Go with the Finish Line Teflon!

Favorite Trail:   Long trips alone on forgotten paths

Bike Setup:   Which of my bikes should I describe ???

Submitted by Jeff Carey from denver, CO, USA

Date Reviewed: June 22, 2003

Strengths:    works, helps the noises, it is not so wet that it attracts dirt to your chain.

Weaknesses:    I don't know I mean it is bike lube. I am just reviewing because IM bored

Bottom Line:
it works like the other day I was getting some noise. I degreased my chain then put this stuff on it and it is a lot better.

Favorite Trail:   porcupine rim

Purchased At:   criterium bicycles

Similar Products Used:   LOTS of other stuff.

Bike Setup:   specialized hardrock

Submitted by john a Cross Country Rider from uk

Date Reviewed: March 30, 2003

Strengths:    Spray-on.

Weaknesses:    Dry..Very Dry

Bottom Line:
Dry lubes will do what they say on the tin and keep everything dry "bone dry". As far as the lube bit goes forget it. Try a motorcycle chain lube!

Purchased At:   Great Rip-Off Britain

Similar Products Used:   All motoX lubes

Bike Setup:   Great

Submitted by Matt a Racer from St. Louis, MO

Date Reviewed: April 16, 2002

Strengths:    Apparently it does a fine job of lubricating wheel bearings based on a lack of wear after 2 years of heavy duty use.

Weaknesses:    I repack my bearings one or more times a year depending on the riding conditions and my level of laziness. I have noticed since using this product that the grease seems to be much more liquified after several months of use. Not sure why since I don't usuallly ride in wet conditions. I don't know that this is a bad thing, just seems a bit odd. I think i'll try Phils or another brand and see what happens.

Bottom Line:
Seems to work well but not sure why the grease turns liquidy after several months.

Submitted by Will a Weekend Warrior from Colorado

Date Reviewed: March 26, 2002

Strengths:    It is lube.

Weaknesses:    It isn't glue.

Bottom Line:
Grease is grease right? This stuff is stange. It is kind of gritty/lumpy when using, maybe its the teflon. I completely break down and rebuild my bike every season, and every year when I do it again the grease has turned yellow (it starts white) and has a new consistency. I don't know how long it takes, but within a year it is like that.
It seems to work OK, but this grease just feels weird, so I don't know if I trust it, so Im switching to phil's. BTW, "waterproof"? What the hell is that? As if there is a "water soluable" grease. Rant over.

Similar Products Used:   Phil "waterproof" grease.

Bike Setup:   The type you grease.

Submitted by dustin a Racer from charlottesville, va, us

Date Reviewed: February 10, 2002

Strengths:    dry- even seems to repel dirt
not as waxy as white lightning
cheap

Weaknesses:    goes fast

Bottom Line:
everyone needs to do a few things when it comes to chains:
1. get a new one
2. degrease it 2-3 times
3. use only dry lubes like this or white lightning
4. your chain will never get dirty, unless its wet, when you should use a medium wetness lube
5. after your chain gets dirty, degrease it 2 more times and squirt the dry stuff back on- you will be so happy the way your drivetrain works with a dry lube and a clean chain
6. DO IT NOW

Similar Products Used:   white lightning, finish line wet, krytech, shimano slippery/hypo spitt

Bike Setup:   trek 8500, easton ct2 bar

Submitted by Sprocketeer from Narashino, Chiba, Japan (Native New Yorker)

Date Reviewed: December 3, 2001

Strengths:    Despite Finish Line's claim that Krytec is their cleanest lube, the truth is that Teflon is way cleaner.

Weaknesses:    I'm no lube authority outside of the handful I've used, but I'd have to say it would be hard to find something to be considered a weakness in this lube which could be improved upon by Finish Line.

Bottom Line:
It's really the best I've tried and I use it in all conditions. I can tell you I've tried a lot of different lubes for the dust, sand, occasional mud, and gravel conditions we get here in Japan, and this lube stayed the cleanest, broke down the least, and has been extremely easy to clean up after. What more could I ask for?

Favorite Trail:   "What trail?"

Purchased At:   Seo Cycle (pro shop), LalaPort shopping mall at Tokyo Bay

Similar Products Used:   Krytec (which works real well but is a b###h to clean off), assorted other lubes (during my experimental period--haha).

Bike Setup:   two wheels, sprockets, tires, a saddle, etc . . . It's a Trek frame, the rest is me.

Submitted by GS a Cross Country Rider from Chicago IL

Date Reviewed: December 3, 2001

Strengths:    Easy to use, "dry" lube means less mess. Works EXTREMELY well in dry conditions.

Weaknesses:    Doesn't hold up very well when it gets wet outside.

Bottom Line:
Well this is sort of like the lesser of all evils. I don't think there is a "perfect" lube. If it holds up in wet, then it sucks up dirt. If it doesn't suck up dirt, then wet weather runs it off. I pretty much use this for every condition. I am a bit of a fanatic and so it wearing off when wet really doesn't bother me much, as I run my chain through a cleaning system pretty much after any dirty ride, and as needed otherwise. Definately a drop on each link, and then a little on a rag and run the chain through it. Have no complaints....it does what it supposed to do.

Purchased At:   Anyplace has this