Finish Line Krytech Wax Lube

2.9/5 (68 Reviews)

Finish Line's WAX Lube goes on wet, but driesTo a hard, dry, super-slick wax film. No oily greasy filmTo attract or absorb dust and dirt. DuPont's metal bonding Krytox® lubricating film in combination with M2 molybdenum, specialized waxes, and more, make our WAX Lube even slicker, quieter and longer lasting. Finish Line WAX Lube is wax lubricationTechnology at its best.SHIPPING RESTRICTIONThis item is classified “ORM-D” and cannot be shipped via air. It can only be shipped via ground shipping me

Submitted by Cosmos

Date Reviewed: October 2, 2013

Strengths:    Smells good and keeps chain clean..

Weaknesses:    Due to be very liquid, this lubricant lasts only 20km on a very sunny day. Disappears in an instant and gives the feeling that it does not lubricate anything at all, as I can hear the chain doing noises like being dry for a long time. This must not be considered a chain lubricant ..

Bottom Line:
Don't buy it if you are going to use it on a chain..

Submitted by Gleison Storto

Date Reviewed: September 6, 2012

Strengths:    Keeps the chain clean, smells good.

Weaknesses:    Does not lube at all. I applied this to an 100% clean Shimano IG chain 3 days in a row and my conclusion is: it did not work. The chain seems to have never been lubed. After applying this lube, I would say it lasts for maximum 1km due to its solvent.
I'm glad I bought the smaller one.

Bottom Line:
It may work for some types of chain, but for Shimano IG it doesn't.

Submitted by kique a Cross Country Rider from chile

Date Reviewed: February 18, 2010

Strengths:    smells good, clean, not too much dust in chain, works on v-brake pivots, and in your tools if you want to keep them lubricated and out of dust. (great for my victorinox knife too) Is so easy to clean the transmision because it doesn´t atracts to much dirt.

Weaknesses:    short lasting. I´ve got to lube my chain almost every 2 days (3 if I forget). Due to the frecuent use the bottle doesn´t last to much. Only for summer time

Bottom Line:
I use it in my commuting bike and I lube the chain almost every 2 or 3 days (quite short lasting) however, works because it´s clean. Not to much dirt in chain is good if you´re wearing office trousers (always put your right sock above the trousers when riding, but if you forget...) I usually relay on smell and noise to know if the chain is lubed.
You must have it really clean for first apply and put 3 drops for link (shake the bottle well before). For subsequent applications use a paper towel to clean the chain dust (do not forget the g-pulleys) and apply 1 or 2 drops to each link. DO NOT WIPE THE EXCESS, just let it dry for few minutes.

Purchased At:   local bicycle store

Similar Products Used:   finish line cross country. The same bottle for ages. Great lubricant, smells good too but it´s more dusty (better for winter time)

Bike Setup:   old school style, brand new red karakoram frame (quite hard to find) ea70 stem, Easton vice seatpost, wtb saddle, old school scott handle bar with integrated bar ends and handle bar tape (just for the old style look), lx v-brakes, lx and deore mix and sram casette, (the karakorams used to come with stx rc -lx components but stx rc pieces are impossible to find) xt front hub, novatec sealed rear hub (let´s see how it works) and detonator 26x1.50 tires.

Submitted by a jones a Cross Country Rider from Louisville USA

Date Reviewed: December 14, 2006

Strengths:    Great all around lube, keeps the chain and cassette clean, smells good.

Bottom Line:
If you keep your're bike halfway clean after most rides, than like many other lubes it works great. Don't expect to lube a muddy, gritty chain with this or any other lube and expect it to work miracles. Lube chain before leaving the house if Mountain biking, not right before you get on the trail. It has to dry to work well.

Favorite Trail:   otter creek, duffield, waverly

Similar Products Used:   White Lightning, Dumonde (great lube too), Triflow

Bike Setup:   Specialized

Submitted by Ryan a Racer from Niagara Falls

Date Reviewed: June 28, 2006

Strengths:    Does not attract dirt, saves wear on drivetrain, and makes shifting smoother. A clean, wax based lube.

Weaknesses:    Hole in bottle is too small, and would clog, does not last very long, and therefore is a little expensive.

Bottom Line:
First, i will remind everyone to apply this lube to CLEAN parts. It will not be any good if you do not fully degrease your chain. Was does not stick to grease. Follow directions on the bottle.

Also, this product is designed for dry conditions. Don't expect it to hold up in wet conditions. Finishline makes another product for that.

Well, i needed to make the hole in the bottle larger so that it did not always clog up on me. After that it was easier to apply without making a mess.

This product does not last very long. I don't find much of it left after about 40km. (this is a rough estimate) But, that is good enough for most XC rides i do. I wanted a lube that worked in dry conditions without creating a black grime all over my drivetrain. There are tradeoffs involved. This lube does not attract grime, and is very clean to use, but does not last nearly as long as finishline wet, or several other lubes. Since it does need to be reapplied almost every ride, it gets expensive.

I will try prolink next. It comes highly reccomended.

Similar Products Used:   Finishline wet.

Bike Setup:   Sram PC59 chain, Giant NRS.

Submitted by Mike a Weekend Warrior from Calgary,Alberta, Canada

Date Reviewed: June 22, 2006

Strengths:    None! This stuff was terrible.

Weaknesses:    I didn't like the Krytec Wax Lube at all. It does not last on a long ride. Its good for about 10 miles if your lucky, your chain will sound like its never been lubed at all. Unlike other wax lube products it does not seem to build up enough over time to lube the chain.
Also it runs out of the bottle all too fast making it hard to apply without wasting way too much product.
You also get to pay a premium price too, I found it expesive.

Bottom Line:
For what you pay this lube delivers little in performance, this product is the next best thing to not having any lube on the chain at all!
When I buy a chain lube I expect it to get me through at least one ride!

Favorite Trail:   Powderface

Purchased At:   The Bike Shop

Similar Products Used:   White Lightening, Finish Line Dry Lube (Teflon, Finish Line X-country

Bike Setup:   04 Epic Comp Disk

Submitted by Gilligan a Weekend Warrior from Europe

Date Reviewed: April 12, 2006

Strengths:    Strenghts..? Hmm...well keeps chain and sprockets pretty clean...

Weaknesses:    Doesn't last at all!!! If you plan longer rides, take the bottle with you! Seems like you need to re-apply that stuff every 20-30 miles at least!

Bottom Line:
This is the perfect lube for people with cruiser bikes! Keeps drivetrain clean (great for posing!) and lasts for short neigborhood rides!

Submitted by Brown Teeth a Cross Country Rider from Morro BAy, CA USA

Date Reviewed: May 3, 2005

Strengths:    Sets up hard and dry works great in dry and some wet conditions but not for mud. Love its ability to stay on.

Weaknesses:    Poor in the mud seems to bind with clay mud to really make a mess. Also since it sets up harder than many other waxes it take a few minutes to warm up and shift good otherwise if you shift while its still cold your chain will not shift well.

Bottom Line:
At first I didn't like it but the key is to just keep putting it on until you have a nice base, really keeps the chain innards free of grit and dirt and unlike WL doesn't build up on sprockets. Best for dry conditions, last longer between applications than WL, my lube of choice

Similar Products Used:   WL,prolink, BS, Oils of all sorts, grease...

Bike Setup:   36# FR rig

Submitted by Marcel Frenk a Cross Country Rider from Nijmegen

Date Reviewed: February 8, 2005

Strengths:    Smells sweet, keeps chain and sprockets clean

Weaknesses:    Not very long lasting in wet and grimy conditions (but what is?), need to warm it up a bit before applying.

Bottom Line:
The bottom line is that I like this lube the best for not only the pivots on my FSR, but for the chain also. In 2002 I also posted a review, let`s call this an update. I tried many other lubes, many of them work fine, but most of them leave too much gunk for my taste on the chain and sprockets. Not so with KryTech, little dirt clings onto your chains etc, and it is easy to clean afterwards.
You have to follow the procedure though: Thourougly clean your chain te first time, lube generously, let dry for at least twelve hours before you go out and ride. Make shure that the KryTech is not stone cold, it will clogg the squirthole if cold. I wipe the chain with a cloth before I go out to ride to remove any exess. The chain an sprockets pick up very little dirt this way, and can be easily cleaned afterwards.

Favorite Trail:   Rijk van Nijmegen, Cristalp

Purchased At:   Kersten Wielersport Nijmegen

Similar Products Used:   Boeshield T-9, Finish Line Dry Lube, Motorex Dry Lube, Cyclon Dry Lube, Rohlof Chainlube, what haven`t I tried?

Bike Setup:   Y2K S-Works FSR, XO, XT-cassette, tune and TA rings.

Submitted by J-Bird a Cross Country Rider from Killington, VT

Date Reviewed: August 24, 2004

Strengths:    Keeps chain cleaner than most lubes. Does not build up on chain links like other wax lubes. Lasts a good while when used properly. Good for a variety of weather/trail conditions. Inexpensive cuz everyone has it and it's always on sale. I don't have to take the bottle with me, like with White Lightning. Does not hold dirt.

Weaknesses:    Have to remember to shake vigorously before application to ensure the goods get in there. Requires total cleaning of chain before first use. Requires advanced application before a ride to work at its best. Tends to build up on chainrings if overapplied or if u ride too soon after applying. Have 2 let dry thoroughly.

Bottom Line:
You have to totally clean your chain then apply heavily. Let dry, apply heavily again. Once you've done that, if you put a little on before each ride, you only have to clean yer chain a few times each summer. Once you get a good coat of dry wax inside the chain it keeps all kinds of crap out. I ride in wet, sandy, pine-needly, muck. I ride in dry, dusty, gravelly, sand. I ride up as much as I ride down, and at Killington that is over 2000 ft of vert. each way, each time. Not to mention the random days of lift-use/downhill riding. I use only Krytox - Triflow for my susp. pivots, Krytox for everything else. Works great on derailleur pulleys and pivots too. I've used two 4oz. bottles in the last two years. I ride at least 3 or 4 days every week. This stuff is the best lube I've found since I started riding 15 years ago. Period. (not recommended for disc brake rotors... hahahaha)

Purchased At:   Performance Bike

Similar Products Used:   other Finish Line wax lubes, White Lightning, Triflow, wd40, heavy gear lube, moto-x chain lube, bodily fluids, etc.

Bike Setup:   over 100 tiny metal mechanical parts attached to a few big metal mechanical parts, all of which receive regular and thorough abuse.

Submitted by Rodney Gomm a Cross Country Rider from Burlington, Ontariario, Canada

Date Reviewed: April 18, 2004

Strengths:    Super clean. doesn not p/up dust, dirt, sheds mud, snow, repels rain. Easy to apply. Does a great job for me & i ride pretty well year round in all kinda conditions

Weaknesses:    does not last much beyond 30-50 kilometers and is kinda pricey here in Canada. Takes about 15 minutes to set.

Bottom Line:
If you ride, you need this stuff. Easy to apply, non greasy/oily. Does not attract yuk. Does not p/up dust, dirt etc. Quietens drive train tho for best results (& who wouldn't want that?) 1st application should be on really clean chain so it bonds well.
I'm big believer in preventative maintenance & Kry Tech is my first line of defense.
It works for me.

Favorite Trail:   whatever 1 i'm on

Purchased At:   Brant Cycle, Freewheel

Similar Products Used:   Other finish line (green cap) and Pedro's wax

Bike Setup:   Brodie Brute. Aluminum box tubing, Marzocchi 130mm travel stump jumper frt shock, frt & rear Hayes HD Hydraulic disks w/8" rotors, Truvativ Hussefelt chain ring,Sun Single Tracks SL-1/26 frnt & rear,Maxxis MOFO 26x2.35, Deores drerfailleurs & shifters

Submitted by Kev1n a Downhiller from Perth, Ontario, Canada

Date Reviewed: November 25, 2003

Strengths:    This stuff is awsome, I dunno about all these guys who say it sucks, I dont think they cleaned their chains very well. Krytech chain wax is amazing, I ride all the time! I ride after school every day for hours, I ride the trails every bit of spare time I get! with white lightning wax you need to clean the chain down and rewax it like every other ride! with this Krytech stuff I maby lubed my chain every month? seriously, and I ride rain, snow, or shine. I now use the new formula with graphite and it works even better!

Weaknesses:    NONE!! I mean it theres no problem with it at all, I wish it came in a bigger bottle though, but its not very expensive and it lasts a pretty long time.

Bottom Line:
Krytech Rulz, especially with graphite!

Favorite Trail:   Calabogie Peaks

Purchased At:   Dougs Bicycle

Similar Products Used:   White lightning, dripless grease, oil.

Bike Setup:   2002 Norco Atomik with hayes 8" discs (hfx) truvative drivetrain, raceface cranks, singletrack 26" front doubletrack 24" rear, nokian 26x3.0" front tire, nokian 24x2.6" rear tire, Shiver DC fork lots of stuff I love to ride it!!!!!

Submitted by Florian a Cross Country Rider from Canada

Date Reviewed: July 23, 2003

Bottom Line:
This is an update to previous comment. I wrote to Finish Line, who sell this product. Their representative explained that this kind of wax is only meant for short and dry conditions. By short he explicitly meant one hour. So that's what they say about this product basically : perfect for very short and dirty but dry outs, not good for anything else, especially not long rides.

It makes sens that way, though 1)it is not written anywhere on the packaging and 2)I'm not sure it is worth it to use such limited application product.

Submitted by Florian a Cross Country Rider from trois-Rivières, QC, CANADA

Date Reviewed: July 21, 2003

Strengths:    Quite clean, handy bottle size.

Weaknesses:    Doesn't last. Really doesn't.

Bottom Line:
I've embarked unto a 1000km ride with a bottle of that stuff, because I believed it was some lubricant, and the bottle size was perfect for my pack.
I applied it on a freshly cleaned chain, one or several layers, letting it dry for one hour or one night -- I tried everything. Everytime it would work OK as far as I can tell, but only for a couple hour at best. Totally incredible. The roadside bikeshop where I had to buy some replacement oil told me that it indeed doesn't work (they still stock it, though !).

I believe that the people who have a good experience with Krytehc must be biking in humid or wet conditions, where their chains are actually lubricated by moisture.

Purchased At:   MEC

Similar Products Used:   No other waxes, just regular oil.

Bike Setup:   Mikado

Submitted by Marcel Frenk a Cross Country Rider from Nijmegen, The Netherlands

Date Reviewed: September 26, 2002

Strengths:    Smells sweet, attracts little dirt

Weaknesses:    Not the best product for lubing your chain or fork/damper, have to shake very well before using, thickens too fast when cold which makes it hard to apply.

Bottom Line:
I bought this lubricant for lubing the pivots on my FSR, as was advised by Specialized in a maintainance article in German Bike-Magazine. Works well for this application; clean the pivot well with a cloth before applying, apply a little time before you go out riding to allow the Krytech to dry up. It keeps out the dirt, despite our mostly muddy conditions, I only have to disassemble the linkages for cleaning and thourough relubing twice a year. The delrin rings last about a year, the metal parts last much longer, the metal-only damper pivots are more prone to wear than the other pivots. Thickens very fast when "cold" (< 20 degrees Celsius), sometimes clogging up the bottle`s gap. I usually heat it up a bit on my central heating`s radiator in winter, to assure maximum fluidity.
I also tried it on my forklegs and chain. Both started to squeek pretty quickly, I rather use Finish Line Teflon Dry Style or Motorex Dry Weather lubricant for that.
Mayby overlubing the chain several times might work, as one of the other reviewers remarked.

Favorite Trail:   Rijk van Nijmegen

Purchased At:   Kersten Wielersport

Bike Setup:   Specialized FSR

Krytech Wax Lube?

If I want to use this do I have to have a new chain and when I get the new chain do I have to completely degrease it. Not to sure how to use it.Read More »