Finish Line Dry Teflon Lube

3.77/5 (26 Reviews)

DRY Lube made with Teflon? fluoropolymer. The industry?s original ?dry? lubricant. Finish Line DRY Lube goes on wet, but then sets up in a dry, ?paste-like? film so it will not attract or absorb grit and grime. Teflon? fluoropolymer and specialized synth

Submitted by Rex Plunger

Date Reviewed: October 11, 2013

Strengths:    None

Weaknesses:    Persistent environmental toxin, this stuff will last longer then the cockroaches and will persist through an atomic bomb. When this stuff washes / falls off your chain in the stream or when crossing the log bridge, this stuff will stick to sediment or any other ecocompartment life likes to exist in / on, and stay there, screwing up endocrine systems and hormone balances. Teflon is very bad stuff, never goes away - just like a nice polychloro or fluoroinated flame retardants. S****t!!!, use a degradeabe lube (wax!), and do not be lazy, use it every freakin ride.

Bottom Line:
Thanks, please. Degradeable is best. 'specially outside.

Submitted by Martin a Racer

Date Reviewed: April 14, 2013

Strengths:    dry lube, so it doesn't mess up the frame

Weaknesses:    attracts dirt
when applied the chain already looks dirty (white & greasy, not transparent)

Bottom Line:
I don't understand the high ratings here... I use it for my road bike, and after first use, it was so noisy I had to relube again and this time NOT clean the excess... second time I cleaned the chain completely, lubed it, and left for 12 hours... after then I cleaned the excess, and it was kind of OK, but after 50 km the train was noisy and dirty again...
This thing is absolutely useless, and I am not even talking about rainy weather (I know this is for sunny days, but I don't live in California).
Not recommended.

Similar Products Used:   Classic chain oil

Bike Setup:   Tarmac

Submitted by SlickWilly8019 a Cross Country Rider

Date Reviewed: October 16, 2012

Strengths:    It lubricates.

Weaknesses:    Attracts dirt like no ones business, turned my chain asphalt black in 2 rides, frequent reapplication, cost!

Bottom Line:
I have used dry lubes for years, and this one is by far the worst one of them all. Save your money, buy something that is proven to work and doesn't attract this much dirt or require frequent lubrication.

Favorite Trail:   White Tank Mountains

Purchased At:   Sport chalet

Similar Products Used:   Militec-1 synthetic dry lube.

Bike Setup:   Trek Marlin, Bonny tubeless 29-3 front and Bonny tubed 29-1 rear, AT850 rim, Stans NoTubes Rim-strip, SRAM DR, tektro disc brakes.

Submitted by UNhappy

Date Reviewed: April 30, 2012

Strengths:    Was a good product before the formulation was changed

Weaknesses:    Net volume fraud (overpriced) - Lube consistency inconsistent

Bottom Line:
This lube had been ok, which is the reason I purchased a 32 fl oz jug. As others have commented, the formula is not consistent, Finish Line states "that color variation may occur". I have not analyzed lubrification properties scientifically, but the thick white suspension now sold attracts more dirt. A further "consistency" issue is serious under filling, which is quite simply fraud.

In spite of the statement on the container that the "headroom is not a sign of under filling", the volume raised my suspicion and I did measure the volume at 20°C in a class A graduated glass cylinder in the laboratory. The volume in the cylinder was determined to 840 ml when it was stated as 945 ml. Even if I allow for a 10 ml margin for lubricant remaining in the container or the walls of the cylinder, the jug contained 10% less product as stated. Nice way of increasing margins.

Finish Line has failed to reply about this issue and Amazon.com does not accept returns on "Items that are classified as hazardous materials or use flammable liquids or gases".

Submitted by photoBear a Cross Country Rider from Bendigo,Victoria,Australia

Date Reviewed: January 13, 2012

Strengths:    smooth
quiet
doesn't pick up much dirt and what does get picked up is removed easily with any cloth or brush
great for dry dusty & sandy conditions
easy to apply
seems to work it's own way in well
doesn't gunk up much at all
nice and thin, seems to create an even layer of lube, no build ups

Weaknesses:    you might need to re apply regularly, I find myself doing it every 3-5 big rides which is not to often for me
maybe not as good in the wet as water seems to wash it away a bit but that is negligible in my conditions

Bottom Line:
I find the trails i ride leave both me and my bike filthy with dust, which chewed up my stock chain with factory sticky lube pretty quick so the lbs suggested this and I found it really does as good a job as anything I've used to keep dirt build up to a minimum and what does get picked up is easy to wipe away.

It goes on quite easily working it's way in, it flows well, seems quite thin and evenly coated. As others have mentioned you can touch the chain and it doesn't feel oily just smooth. I find it works best with minimal lube applied.

It seems that when dirt gets on the chain it tends to fall away easily rather than build up but this also seems to take the lube away with it meaning you will have to re apply regularly which I'd rather do than let the chain build up dirt and grinding paste. I find also that there is less cleaning involved when I have to re apply than some other lubes.

Like many products for bikes it comes down to riding style and use as much as anything and I find this product works well in dry dusty conditions more than wet. It's good if you like to regularly clean and lube your chain and it seems to give good protection against wear. The feel is also lovely and smooth to ride.

Favorite Trail:   Diamond hill, Crusoe Res, Big hill

Purchased At:   lbs

Similar Products Used:   various wax/teflon lubes

Bike Setup:   xc hardtail hg619 cassette hg93 chain

Submitted by dude a Downhiller from germany

Date Reviewed: December 20, 2010

Strengths:    lubes really nice, no bad sounds from your chain anymore, chain stays so clean, i'd lick it instantly....!

Weaknesses:    couldn't think of one

Bottom Line:
this stuff is awesome, it penetrates the chain alright, and there's just no dirt on the chain anymore. don't know what the other dudes did wrong, but i guarantee that the chain stays clean(of course u should wipe off the chain afterwards)! i can touch mine with my bare hand and nothing, not even greasy fingers or stuff like that, just freakin awesome!

and thick??? wtf! mine's fluid like water! who knows how old your free samples were....and of course u have to relube more often, it designed for freakin dry conditions, so what the hell do you guys expect???

long story short: BUY IT! I LOVE THAT STUFF! never used a better lube...don't listen to noobs that don't know how to use this stuff...

Favorite Trail:   fast'n steep

Purchased At:   lbs

Bike Setup:   kona stinky, kona one20

Submitted by Graham Mitchell a Weekend Warrior from Perth, Australia

Date Reviewed: January 29, 2008

Strengths:    Penetrates well. Does NOT attract dirt. Silent running chain. Good on other parts of bike. Greatly prolongs life of drive-train.

Weaknesses:    Requires frequent re-application in extreme wet.

Bottom Line:
This is a great lube for hot, dusty conditions as found in Western Australia.
Would-be users please note; apply liberally link by link by drawing drop across from inner plate to outer plate , run chain backwards for a couple of minutes, wipe off excess.
To those who claim it attracts dirt; learn how to lube a chain properly.

Favorite Trail:   All of them

Purchased At:   Anywhere

Similar Products Used:   Loads.

Bike Setup:   Uber-blingin' 575

Submitted by Ryan a Weekend Warrior from Ancaster Ontario Canada

Date Reviewed: January 21, 2007

Strengths:    Does not attract dirt much. longevity is good.

Weaknesses:    does not last as long as oil based stuff

Bottom Line:
I recently used up my first bottle of this stuff, and i am pretty happy with it. It keeps the chain pretty quiet. It is not quite as clean as Krytech wax lube, but it does not really build up any grunge. The longevity is decent, but not outstanding. Resists water better than wax. For what it is, it is pretty good. I will return to Krytech for the dry summer months, but this was great for the fall. For winter/spring i am going to try triflow.

Purchased At:   SportMart

Similar Products Used:   Finish line Krytech and Cross Country, motor oil, schwinn bicycle lube.

Bike Setup:   Deore LX derailleurs, SRAM pg 970 cassette, pc 59 chain, Deore crank, all mounted on a Giant NRS

Submitted by MikerJ from PA

Date Reviewed: July 2, 2005

Strengths:    Great lube. Thin enough to penetrate rollers. Attracts very little dirt. Good on other parts like derailure pulleys.

Weaknesses:    Like any thin lube frequent reapplications are necessary.

Bottom Line:
Best lube I've tried. Any thin lube will wash off in the wet stuff, but that's not a big deal. Just reapply ever so often. It's a trade off for having a thick lube that sticks and collects dirt.

Remember, a well lubed dirty chain will wear much faster than a clean underlubed chain.

Similar Products Used:   Too numerous to count.

Bike Setup:   Surly SS. Bullit. Burner. Trek 8500 HT.

Submitted by Fred a Racer from Bakersfield, CA, USA

Date Reviewed: July 1, 2005

Strengths:    Last a long time in dry conditions.
Easy to apply.
It keeps the drivetrain quiet for a long time.
It's cheaper then most brands.
Doesn't attract dirt if applied properly.

Weaknesses:    NONE; some say it's not good in wet conditions, it may not be good for MTB riding in swamp country. But rain doesn't seem to bother it.

Bottom Line:
The best product I've ever used. It is not thick as others have claimed, in fact its just a bit thicker the water and you can see it penetrate the links. I also use it on the derailleur and caliper pivots and it made those work smoother. You must shake it first before applying; then you have to wait for it to dry for at least 12 hours, and then wipe the sides of the chain; if you do that then dirt is not easily attracted to it. It's not as expensive as most. It not only last longer on the chain then others I've tried but you can also feel there's less friction in the drivetrain.

Similar Products Used:   TriFlow, all the Pedros stuff, White Lightning, and Slick 50 1 Lube.

Bike Setup:   84 Trek 660 and 87 Giant Rincon.

Submitted by Froze a Weekend Warrior from Fort Wayne, Indiana, USA

Date Reviewed: October 2, 2004

Strengths:    Less friction, last longer.

Weaknesses:    Turns black

Bottom Line:
I'm not sure why some people reportedly did not like the Finish Line Teflon Dry (red cap); this is by far the best lube I've ever used. With any wax product I tried I had to reapply about every 60 miles or the chain would start to make noise. With the Finish Line Teflon Dry I first used it I tested it and found I could go well over 400 miles without hearing a noise or reapplying the lube; it did however get very black. I clean my chain with the Finish Line Cleaner Kit and then relube my chain on an average of 125 to 150 miles and between cleanings the chain remains as clean as the wax stuff, but it last far longer. I also found that my chains only lasted about 5,000 miles on the wax lubes, but with the Finish Line product they last 12,000 miles average (I use the wider friction type of chain). I also noticed that there's less friction in the drivetrain then there was with the wax. I am so happy with this product there is no reason for me to try another product!

Favorite Trail:   any road to remote areas

Purchased At:   Snyders Cyclery

Similar Products Used:   TriFlow; Pedros Ice Wax, Extra Dry, Road Rage; White Lightning; and Speed Skate Lube.

Bike Setup:   84 Trek 660 with Suntour Superbe components.

Submitted by John Angotti a Cross Country Rider from Dallas, TX, USA

Date Reviewed: June 17, 2004

Strengths:    Lubes the chain.

Weaknesses:    Attracts too much dirt. Too viscous...gunk builds up quickly.

Bottom Line:
This product creates maintenance problems. Chain gets too much dirt buildup too quickly. Chain cleaning becomes a constant chore. However, it does lube the chain. Perhaps the right rider in the right environment could find a proper utilization for this. I ride north central Texas, and it serves me poorly.

I have been using the Rock n' Roll for a very short period, and am currently unable to give an informed recommendation for this product.

Similar Products Used:   Rock n' Roll Extreme.

Bike Setup:   GF Ziggurat

Submitted by Jim a Cross Country Rider from Carlisle, PA

Date Reviewed: October 23, 2003

Strengths:    HMM... can't think of any!

Weaknesses:    Well, to start off, it is so thick I don't think it even does any good. Then after about 1/2 hour it gets all gunked up and it turns to gel. It attracts dirt like a "Pledge Grab-It" and washes off right away. (Which might not be bad because I don't want all that crap getting ground into the drivetrain.

Bottom Line:
This stuff is a waste of money! A lot of money at that! It's expensive and doesn't work. If I could give a negative rating I would.

Favorite Trail:   Singletrack

Similar Products Used:   Tri-Flow- not great but better than Finish Line

Bike Setup:   Trek Fuel 90

Submitted by Ghost a Weekend Warrior from LA, CA, USA

Date Reviewed: July 14, 2003

Weaknesses:    Attracts dirt, and thick.

Bottom Line:
I ran out of lube day and the only thing I had was a sample bottle of FinishLine. So I gave it try. The first thing I notice is that this stuff is thick. Which kind of worried me because I wasn't sure how much of it would penatrate into the rollers.

After my ride I noticed it did attacted a lot of dirt (almost as much as T9).

The lube worked but I really didn't outshine the my current lube which is Prolink, so I don't think I will be switching soon.

Similar Products Used:   Boeshield T9, Ice Wax, Prolink.

Submitted by Ryan R a Cross Country Rider from Long Island NY

Date Reviewed: June 12, 2003

Strengths:    Penatrates well ,Lasts a decent amount of time, it does improve on shifting a little, it keeps thing lubed and quiet as long as it's dry out, it's a dry lube making it a good lube to use when it's dry and dusty out there

Weaknesses:    Can they put it in a smaller bottle?, Clogs up easy and if you squeeze the bottle to hard it's all over the place, This stuff will wash off if used in wet conditions FAST and I mean Fast your drive train will sound like a rusty corn thresher in about three miles if used in wet muddy conditions and this can't be good for the life of your drivtrain.

Bottom Line:
I've used this lube on three differnt bikes for about a little more than three years now and it's good not the best but good. I'm not a big fan of wax based lubes like Race Day they tend to make a mess out of your divetrain and you have to clean you drive train every time you have to relube what an annoying thing to have to do. This stuff works like good old oil just drip let it sit and go. It doesn't take that long to dry and it keeps the chain and all your drive train well lubed. My only two grips about it is CAN FINISH LINE GET IT IN A SMALLER BOTTLE AND MAKE JUST A EXPENSIVE! for the price they ask you should get two times the amount! For wet condition I usaually use an oil based lube like 3 in 1 it works well but I was always on the look out for something better and some pinhead at my LBS said to try wax lube and I got suckered into Raceday what a mess the next time I want wax I'll buy a candle. As of late I've been using the Rock N Roll Extreme and it works for both wet and dry I like it alot but haven't used it long enough to not have a bottle of this still in my garage. As for the bottle again this stuff can be a seroius pain when you try to drip it on and it doesn't want to come out. The only way I found to stop that is to hold the bottle upright and squeeze until the air bubble blocking it is cleared and you can get back to the task at hand. Well if your looking for a good dry lube try this one out if your looking for a lube that can handle mud and water I suggest Rock n Roll it won't wash off like this stuff, yes Rock n Roll is a little of a pain in the a$$ to put on but I still feel like it does a better job than the Finish Line in wet conditions. As for a dry lube it's great as for a wet lube it sucks you choose PEACE!!

Favorite Trail:   Anything with dirt on it

Similar Products Used:   White lighting Race Day, 3 in1 household oil lube, Rock n Roll Extreme lube THE BEST!

Bike Setup:   02 Specialized Stumpy with plenty of goodies on it!

Dupont Teflon Self Cleaning Dry Chain Saver Lubricant

[url]http://www.idealtruevalue.com/servlet/the-141498/Detail[/url] Anyone use this stuff? Any good?Read More »