Home | Reviews | Lube | Englund

4.4/5 (15 Reviews)

Englund Defriction Lube

Submitted by przybyle a Weekend Warrior from Port Elgin

Date Reviewed: April 30, 2009

Strengths:    Clean and sticky. Don't need to use much. Makes all linkes and shocks run super smooth.

Weaknesses:    Can't buy in Canada.

Bottom Line:
This product is very good! Use it - all lubes are NOT equal. I emailed Arlo Englund directly - he invented the stuff. He was very personable and provided me with the same product under a different marketing name (Slickoleum) that is cheaper. I read the specs for Slick Honey and Slickoleum - they are the SAME. Can order online if you need to.

Favorite Trail:   Three Stages

Purchased At:   Slickoleum

Bike Setup:   Specializeed Rockhopper with several upgrades

Submitted by Jeff Streifling a Racer from Walla Walla, WA

Date Reviewed: June 7, 2002

Strengths:    It works as claimed.

Bottom Line:
Wow, my shock feels better than new .. excellent product. Lasts mucho long time (the container i bought).

Favorite Trail:   Any

Purchased At:   Cambria Bike

Similar Products Used:   Judy Butter

Bike Setup:   Rocky Mountain Hammer, XT, RaceFace, Avid, Mustangs w/ Nukeproof ....

Submitted by Al przy a Downhiller from Oxnard, CA

Date Reviewed: July 26, 2001

Strengths:    Slicker than snot

Weaknesses:    none so far

Bottom Line:
This is an awesome product. I was always having problems with my delta not going through it's full range of travel. i recently rebuilt it with this stuff and man it's awesome!I've put it on everything.. a tip though - I went to West Marine and picked up a few plastic tipped syringes and filled em with it.. made it sooo much easier to put in cable guides, suspension linkages, and it forces the grease into tight spaces better than just usin your finger or a ridiculous hand needle pump. I wanna get emails from people that have used this product in their hubs..

Favorite Trail:   Gridley-Sisar connect

Purchased At:   Cycle Scene

Similar Products Used:   Finish line Teflon Grease, boeshield T9 White Lightning, etc. etc.

Bike Setup:   '96 vlink RST delta HL, XT disc brakes w/ custom brake adapter, panaracers (puke)

Submitted by im ugly a Weekend Warrior from VT

Date Reviewed: December 12, 2000

Strengths:    makes my fork work much better. Better than new.

Bottom Line:
the bottom line is that this stuff is making my fork work better than new. I only rode my judy about 3 times and I thought it was an OK fork. My brother did a rebuild for me, even after only about 20 miles on this new judy. He cleaned out the inners and packed the resiwipers with slick honey, and put plenty on the bushings. Incredible. Now my fork is getting more used travel, has noticeably less stiction, and doesn't make that annoying squeaking noise it used to. I know these sound like impossible claims, but its true. My brother swears by this stuff, and he uses it on all 3 of his telescopic forks. It is the best upgrade you can get, because it really is like getting a new fork.

Favorite Trail:   buttkiss

Purchased At:   lbs

Similar Products Used:   judy butter.

Bike Setup:   schwinn rocket 88. Judy race

Submitted by Anthony a Cross Country Rider from USA

Date Reviewed: November 9, 2000

Strengths:    Excellent stuff.

Weaknesses:    None Whastoever

Bottom Line:
This stuff is great, but wanna know a little secret? Most of these anti-stiction lubes are a combination of Petroleum jelly (Vaseline) and synthetic oil. I use a little product called Anthony' Secret Sauce (A.S.S.), it was a tip by a major fork manufacturer (who will remain unnamed) for racing applications in the ratio of 1/3 parts Mobil 1 synthetic 15w50 and 2/3 parts generic petroleum jelly (As the generic types tend to be "greasier" than Vaseline which is more solid, but your results may vary) to save money. I personally have used that formula on my Marzocchi Bombers, and Manitous and it was AWESOME. While it might be hard to create a product exactly like Slick honey, it will definately beat the other lubes and will save you a ton of money!

Cheers,

Similar Products Used:   Judy Butter, Secret Sauce

Submitted by Luke a Cross Country Rider from Knoxville,TN,USA

Date Reviewed: September 20, 2000

Strengths:    Really, really , really works. Cuts down on stiction significantly.

Weaknesses:    None.

Bottom Line:
I hate to say that one lube can be so much better than the rest but it's true. For a fork, NOTHING is better than slick honey. In telescopic forks, this is the king of all lubricants.
Other greases are made for high temperature applications or high pressures like bearings. When was the last time your fork caught on fire?
This Lube is designed specifically for suspension forks, specifically the bushing/stanction interface. It really does make a noticeable decrease in the stiction of your fork and amazingly enough, it will not wash away in oil bath design forks.
We use this at the shop, and even though its available there, I bought a big 16 oz tub for home use.
I reccomend this to absolutely everyone using a telescopic fork. For those of you using linkage designs, I suppose one grease is as good as the next.
Also, it is worthless if you just smear some on top of your seals, a FULL rebuild is in call for your fork in order to reap the full benefits (clean/lube bushings, seals, dampers,stanctions,sliders, etc.)

Favorite Trail:   lock4

Purchased At:   Cambria

Similar Products Used:   Finishline Teflon, pedros syngrease, Prep-M, Park grease

Bike Setup:   99 Jamis Dragon w/Judy SL

Submitted by SockBoy a Weekend Warrior from TN

Date Reviewed: March 3, 2000

Strengths:    Is really slick, doesnt wash off, works better than any other fork lube.

Weaknesses:    pricey , but worth the big tub

Bottom Line:
The two idiots who gave the stuff bad ratings in here? the first guy used an elastomer fork in the cold and it froze, not the lubes fault. The guy below me is a dolt who blamed the oxidation of his fork stanctions on the lube... which means he cant keep his fork clean, or has a cheapo fork.Oxidation of his stanctions has nothing to do with the lube.
that said, this stuff is easily the best friggin stuff out there. It really is much slicker, but is much harder to wash off parts (good for wetter conditions). All in all it really does increase the performance of your fork. buy it now.period.

Favorite Trail:   yip yo

Similar Products Used:   judy butter, teflon grease

Bike Setup:   Judy SL w speedsprings & risse cartridge

Submitted by bdh a Cross-Country Rider from Poplar Bluff, MO

Date Reviewed: November 12, 1999

Strengths:
Works good on cables, but so does alot of other lubes. Reduces stiction.

Weaknesses:
Doesn't stay where you need it. Price.

Bottom Line:
Slick Honey starts out to work really well, but after a short period of wet riding I tore down the fork and found the upper tubes where oxidized to the point of needing replacement. I would not recommend this grease for fork use unless you overhaul your fork every month or less.

2 Years

Judy butter. Other greases.

Judy

Submitted by Ed A. a Weekend Warrior from Washington, D.C.

Date Reviewed: July 22, 1999

Strengths:
Works as advertised.
Highly recommended by bike shops.

Weaknesses:
Cost, but it's worth it!

Bottom Line:
Are you kidding me - less than 5 stars? This is absolutely a must-have product. Since new my '97 Manitou Pro-C always felt a little tight and didn't have much travel. One day I decided to tear it down myself (firt time) and re-lube it. I heard a lot about Slick Honey, including from a phone call to Manitou (prior to their release of Prep-M). I picked some up ($8 for 4 oz.), completely disassembled the Pro-C (not too bad) re-lubed everything (rather liberally) and re-assembled. The result was remarkable. It was smooth and the travel must have increased 3/4 of an inch. No kidding. Prior to this I had tried all sorts of elastomer and spring swaps without much luck. Don't blow your money on a new fork - rebuild with Slick Honey!!!I also used it on the headset and it seems fine.

1 Year

Shimano (Yellow) grease.

'97 Manitou Pro-C fork

Submitted by D.L.Ortiz a Racer from Farmington,NM

Date Reviewed: June 1, 1999

Strengths:
Very slippery,I like that!

Weaknesses:
Smells similar to
grease you buy at
Checker/Auto Zone

Bottom Line:
I had problems fixing several friends' Gripshift
XRay 800s due to friction in the cables.I tried
different lubes to keep the cables running
smoothly but not too much success.Finally tried
Slick Honey and what a difference! Nobody has
come back to complain about bad shifting anymore.
I used to use Teflon grease previously for that
purpose but Slick Honey is all I will use now
except for headset and wheel bearings.I may try
them on that soon! My dad says this grease is
probably highly refined, and petroleum-based.
(smells like auto lube).Very fine and gets everywhere if not wiped off quickly.I don't care,
all that counts is that it works excellent!

Colorado Trail-Durango

XT/Gripshift,USE post,
Manitou SX-ti.

Submitted by Matt Bender a Cross-Country Rider from Mankato, MN

Date Reviewed: May 14, 1999

Strengths:
THE BEST

Weaknesses:
NO WAY JOSE

Bottom Line:
for $16 I bought a tub of Slick HOney, yeah that's a lot of money, however a tiney little 1oz container of Judy butter can cost as much as $6. I got 16oz for $16. The only reason that this product doesn't have a near perfect rating is because some retard way back in 1996 took his/her elastomer fork out in the cold and blamed it on the Slick Honey when the elastomers got cold and froze up. As far as this being an automotive product being marketed towards mountain bikers: WHO GIVES A RATS ASS -this stuff works so good that I wouldn't be upset if it was originally used by doctors giving prostrate exams!

any

3 months

Judy Butter

Judy xc w/85mm total air

Submitted by Triple J a cross-country rider from Indianapolis, IN

Date Reviewed: May 3, 1998

Bottom Line:

Please trust me on this one. This is the ONLY lube you should ever use in
your suspension fork. This stuff will drastically improve the performance
of almost any fork, including brand new ones. Anyone that has had bad
luck with it put their fork back together wrong! I've got a buddy that
swears by the stuff and uses it on all of the bearings on his bike (hubs,
headset, etc). Yeah, it's a little pricey, but a small tub lasts forever
and compared to all of that stupid titanium upgrade stuff on the market,
this upgrade is a colossal bargain. I work for a bike shop that employs
over 70 people, and everybody that rides a mountain bike in the company
uses this stuff and sells it enthusiastically.

Submitted by Jimmy a cross-country rider from USA

Date Reviewed: January 4, 1997

Bottom Line:

I used the englund's slick honey and it worked great. My fork was so dry and
didn't move smoothly at all. After I put a little of this on my fork was smooth
and has been ever since.

Submitted by Tim Kalina a weekend warrior from Chicago, IL

Date Reviewed: October 30, 1996

Bottom Line:

On a recommendation from a friend, I tried this stuff on the elastomers of my McMahon fork. I had been using pure Teflon lube with fantastic results. I cleaned everything real well and applied the Englund. Right away I noticed much more friction than with the Teflon! And it only got worse. The first ride in cold weather (35°), I noticed that the fork barely moved! This stuff should be labled 'Friction' lube!! I'm going back to the Teflon, it's expensive but is slicker that that fat guy in the White House and lasts forever. Don't waste your money on the Englund stuff, especially if you live where it gets colder than 50°. Performance is very poor and it's way too expensive. Oh, by the way, the Englund grease looks, feels and smells just like a grease my dad used to use around his shop (He was an auto mechanic before he retired).

Submitted by Jeff Gittleson a weekend warrior from Phoenix

Date Reviewed: June 24, 1996

Bottom Line:

If there are any of you not using sealed bearings, use this grease. This stuff
is slick and doesn't have that gritty feeling that normal grease has. I've been
using Phil Wood grease up to this point. Phil's grease is cheaper. I paid $10 for
a little plastic can of it, but I used it on my Judy fork tubes and my headset and
it works great. I'd give it five stars, but it's too expensive.

What lube for suspension

I have had a Fox FloarR since 2007, and I've never serviced it - but I've never had a reason to until now. I had to replace the valve on the shock so I opened it up to clean it out and I would like to replace the lube. All the o-rings look great, so I am going to keep them. I was thinking that ... Read More »

Seat post lube?

I have a Tallboy LTc and am not sure if the seat post should be lubed or not and with what. A friend recommended a carbon fiber seat post grease that has grit in it, but that seems like the wrong thing since abrasion will delam carbon. I am thinking it doesn't need anything. I had put a really li ... Read More »

KS Lev - lubrication, lube, maintenance, grease, sticky, smooth, rough

Hi, I got caught out in a storm, and my KS Lev (150mm), which I bought in the Spring, immediately started malfunctioning. It became very difficult to get the post to go down. Several days later, after everything dried out, my KS Lev would go up and down again, but it doesn't slide as smoothly. ... Read More »

Chain lube that doesn't attract dirt?

I don't oil my chain drive because of all the dirt that gets caked onto it. I do however regularly wash the bike and change out the chain. I use to use Park Tool CL-1. Does anyone have some suggestions for a drive chain lube that doesn't attract so much dust/dirt? Or some other solution? My ... Read More »

Chain lube questions

My LBS told me the kind of lube I wanted to use for my chain and some other areas was a teflon based lube NOT petroleum since teflon does not attract dirt. Not being close to my LBS I decided to stop by my local auto parts store and look for a teflon based lube. I stumbled across a Chain lube in an ... Read More »