Home | Reviews | Lube | Dura

4.4/5 (5 Reviews)

Advanced All Purpose

Submitted by ronald westbrook

Date Reviewed: April 25, 2013

Strengths:    It kept me from blowing my motor plain and simple!

Weaknesses:    searously? no weakness!

Bottom Line:
I used to own a small car. The oil filter was located under the car. I went to a garage and had my oil changed. I woke up the next morning and started my car. I noticed that my oil gage read 0. No oil pressure. I decided it was a short in my sensor so I took off in it.I drove about 1/4 mile to a store and bought 4 quarts of oil after checking my oin at that store. I started the car again and again the oil pressure read 0. The people that changed my oil and filter was next to the store so I pulled up beside it.I added the 4 quarts of oil then and again the oil gage said o. I pulled into the garage of the mechanic that did my work for me and had him take a look. The oil filter had fallen off because he had used the wrong size. I went out to where I had filled the car with oil and there on the ground was my 4 quarts of new oil in the dirt. My motor should have been destroyed with all my driving but tyhis dura-lube saved it. I have always used this product in every vehicle I own and now I am glad that I did.Thank you guys very much.If I remember right you used to say that this addative had its polarity reversed while you purified it way too much. Now I believe it! Ronald Westbrook! P.S. I own a jeep and I would be willing to drain all the oil out as long as I have been running dura-lube in it and I have been.

Submitted by James Foit a Racer from Big Bear

Date Reviewed: July 30, 2003

Strengths:    Great price for the amount you get

Weaknesses:    very dirty

Bottom Line:
I won't buy this product again just tryed out what the dept stores had to offer. I will certainly take the advice of the hard cores at my LBS. What was I thinking

Favorite Trail:   pct

Purchased At:   Dept store

Similar Products Used:   tri flow and finish line dry

Bike Setup:   Specialized S works road, Gary Fisher sugar 2

Submitted by Frank Carlson from Reston, VA, USA

Date Reviewed: March 18, 2001

Strengths:    Inexpensive at KMART, 2 - 12oz cans bundled together for $3.99. I read reviews for the pricier stuff (Pro Link Chain Lube) and tried it with the same good results as the bulk of the reviewers. Saw 2 12oz cans of Dura Lube All Purpose Lub at KMART and decided to give it a try. Guess what? It works just as well and is much cheaper.
At this price I can afford to Lube the bike much more often.
Super Lube is also inexpensive and highly recommended.
Super Lube is made with Synthetic Lubricant and teflon.

Weaknesses:    Does not have mystical power of being much more expensive.
Contains Petroleum Distillates and not synthetic lubricants.
Contains SR3 (whatever that is) and not teflon as in Super Lube.

Bottom Line:
Much less expensive way to maintain the bike. Keeps rust away and helps to keep chain clean with regular use.

Can be used on all cables, derailers and shifters to prevent rust.

To be consistent with the ratings of other lubricants, I will give this product a 5. A rating of 4 is probably more appropriate but would give product a competitive disadvantage as compared with the more expensive bike store products which work just as well.

Favorite Trail:   W&OD and C&O

Purchased At:   KMART

Similar Products Used:   Pro Link Chain Lube

Bike Setup:   Bianchi Boardwalk & Schwin Prelude

Submitted by Matt Robberts a Downhiller from Gardnerville, NV USA

Date Reviewed: November 9, 2000

Strengths:    It's so inexpensive.

Weaknesses:    Hard to find, but my bro told me he saw it on the Web the other day.

Bottom Line:
I've been using this stuff for some time now. I've tried others that work almost as good or as well as the Dura Lube, but they cost much more. It stays on the chain even if I rip through some mud from snow run-off up in Tahoe, and keeps the dust off of the chain especially when riding on the dusty trails in the Summer up there. Sometimes I get home and my bike is covered in dirt, I just grab a rag and wipe the bike down, reapply the Dura Lubricant to the chain. Usually, the chain stays nearly dirt-free, but I wipe it down anyway and reapply the Dura Lube.

You really have to do daily maintenance like that on your bike, I mean, my bike cost me more than $2G I'm not gonna let it rust to sh*t. This stuff cost like 4 bucks or something. It's like the least I could do to maintain.

Favorite Trail:   Mr. Toads

Purchased At:   kmart

Similar Products Used:   WD 40, Pedro's Wet Chain Lube, Dri Flo

Bike Setup:   foes

Submitted by Eeny Bear a weekend warrior from Victoria

Date Reviewed: October 28, 1998

Bottom Line:

More info at http://www.durashine.com/ap_lube.htmlThis is a fine wet chain lubricant. Sprays on in a mist or a stream depending on how you pump the bottle. Spray on - wipe off - leave it alone for 2-3 rides. Stays on in the wet as well as the dry weather. Any complaints about dirt sticking to a wet-lubed drivetrain are probably from folks who clean their bikes once a year whether it needs it or not. Of course dust and grime will build up on a wet lube but that's the price you pay for something that stays on your chain - especially in the wet. Here's a rule of thumb. Inspect your bike after every ride. If it's dirty - clean it. If the chain is dry - lube it. If a nut is loose - tighten it. You get the picture. Nothing is a substitute for regular and concientious maintenance. This stuff is inexpensive (eg Canadian Tire) because it hasn't got a rep as a specialty mountain bike product. Funny how anything with MTB on the lable cost 5x more than a similar product. :) Its just an all-purpose lube! Does it do what it claims to do? Yes! Does it work better than mustard? Yes! Is it easy to apply? Yes! FIVE FLAMING TRIPLE COILERS WITH A DQ TWIST. Ride hard and keep your bones inside!