Home | Reviews | Lube | Dumonde

Dumonde Tech Bicycle Chain Lube Lube

4.34/5 (47 Reviews)

We're pleasedTo offer Dumonde, some ofThe world's finest lubricants at Jenson USA. "Original" is recommended by Dumonde for cyclocross and mountain bike applications. It is identicalToTheir "Lite" formula, but is more concentrated for use in extreme conditions with dirt, mud, and wet.Dumonde Original is safeTo use on all cables, pivot points, seals, etc., and of course on chains. It is eco-friendly and environmentally sensitive, designed by Dumonde for high performance with minimal carbon footpr

Submitted by randy richardson a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: March 7, 2013

Strengths:    Everything

Weaknesses:    Cant keep on trying lubes

Bottom Line:
This is the best lube ever I am 40 and never stoped riding since i was a kid using many lubes over the years from motor oil in my dads drip can to wd40 on our schwin cruisers and sears bikes some even from toysrus in the late 80's triflo was really popular and kept using it thru the 90's and is still a fine lube today on the hunt for a lube that was ultra quiet stays on long and can withstand rain mud and everything else like a dirty nasty chain iwent thru almost all of pedros lubes that i also liked and used for a few years boesheild finishline white lightning royalpurple and more that i cant seem to remember my 2010 stumpjumper fsr rides forever on dumonde tech lite my kmc gold chain stays clean here in seattle my search ends here? As far as that other guy says about this being a high maintenence lube and should be applied everytime that is false this is the least maintaince I have ever had with a lube other guys are just applying too much lube read the bottle apply when you hear the chain not the appearance i will wipe the chain maybe once a week without even applying lube just clean the pulleys and chain with the same rag that you just wiped your fork and shock stanchions

Duration Product Used:   about 5to6years

Bike Setup:   2010specialized stumpjumper comp converted to 2x10

Submitted by Timo a Cross Country Rider from Durango, CO

Date Reviewed: February 14, 2012

Strengths:    Lubricates

Weaknesses:    water soluble so it limates when riding.

Bottom Line:
I have used this lubricant now for 5 years and it does the trick - all on the mountain bike, cross bike, and road bikes. It used to be very hard to find but now it ius pretty easy. Good stuff and will keep your chain lubricated.

Favorite Trail:   Jaracita

Purchased At:   San Juan Cycles

Similar Products Used:   pedros, finish line

Bike Setup:   moots 29er

Submitted by Commuter a Weekend Warrior from Boise, Id

Date Reviewed: October 24, 2011

Strengths:    Runs quiet until your chain is caked with grit.

Weaknesses:    Astonishing ability to attract dirt and sand.

Bottom Line:
If you're looking for a lube that keeps your chain cleaner than other oil lubes then Dumonde Tech Lite is the last product you'll want to buy. This stuff is a tractor beam for grime! I've read the instructions on the bottle and read the info on their website and nothing I do can keep my chain from rapidly accumulating massive amounts of black filth. Wiping the chain dry after lubing seems to have no effect on the dirt attracting powers of this lube. If you like dirty chains, buy Dumonde Tech!

Favorite Trail:   Greenbelt

Similar Products Used:   Finish line Cross Country, Krytech wax lube.

Bike Setup:   Bone stock Trek X-Caliber with road tires. I've yet to take this bike off-road, all I do is commute 8.6 miles each way to work and back on a paved bike path.

Submitted by RebelRider a Weekend Warrior from Eugene, Oregon

Date Reviewed: July 12, 2010

Strengths:    Excellent protection, only need a little - one bottle should last for many applications.

Weaknesses:    None yet

Bottom Line:
All those people who say to put it on AFTER riding, or apply and let sit overnight, are NOT FOLLOWING DIRECTIONS!

You're supposed to apply then ride a few miles. This allows the friction to create enough heat to activate the polymers and bond to the chain.

No wonder people are having problems: if you apply then let sit overnight, the polymers will just tend to stick things together because the parts were stationary.

They do recommend completely stripping your chain of all lubricants before applying, as the polymers need to bind to clean surfaces. As the instructions indicate, ONLY apply when you begin to hear chain noise, NOT on a regular basis.
I only apply 1-2 times per summer on my Kona (only rode about 12 days last year). Haven't used it off-road yet, gonna lube my mtb chain with it today (stripped it yesterday).

I just bought a bottle of the new "green" formula from REI.

Favorite Trail:   N/A

Purchased At:   LBS and REI

Similar Products Used:   Tri-Flow. When I bought my Kona in '94, I was new to biking so I read lots of reviews for chain lube before buying Dumonde Tech, and I've used it ever since.

Bike Setup:   Bike 1: Kona Dr. Dew hybrid, only ridden on paved surfaces in dry weather.

Bike 2: Giant XTC 29er 1. Just got it, haven't ridden yet.

Submitted by Ned Duffy a Cross Country Rider from Spokane, WA.

Date Reviewed: July 9, 2010

Strengths:    This stuff is great and durable if used properly. I like both the green stuff (original) and the Dumonde Tech Lite (yellow stuff). Simply apply and let soak in overnight. Wipe off the excess and go ride. Chain will be quiet and clean. If it gets dirty too quickly and you're bothered by wiping off dirt, switch to the "Lite". Like the label says, "clean and re-apply when you hear the chain make noise".

Weaknesses:    A little spendy, but all good lubes are. Too tough to find too. My LBS carries it and it flies off the shelf every time they get it.

Bottom Line:
This is great stuff and just needs an occaisional wipedown with a shop rag and small re-application. Chain runs quieter than with any other stuff.

Favorite Trail:   Bernard Peak, ID.

Similar Products Used:   Tri-Flow, Ice Wax, Boeshield, Finish Line.

Bike Setup:   Specialized Enduro Pro SL Carbon with SRAM X0 and some upgrades.

Submitted by Perryb67 a Cross Country Rider from Ashby, MN, USA

Date Reviewed: April 7, 2010

Strengths:    None

Bottom Line:
Crap! Chain kept getting blacker and blacker. After 1,500 miles the links started getting sticky. Could'nt unstick the links, so threw the chain away. Know other users who had the same sticky link problem and threw their chains away also. Went back to Boeshield.

Similar Products Used:   Boeshiled, Prolink,

Submitted by imkrister a Weekend Warrior from Richmond

Date Reviewed: March 28, 2010

Strengths:    Inexpensive, easy to apply, Strangely it smells good

Weaknesses:    Attracts dirt and grime like thats its job

Bottom Line:
I cleaned my chain and got it lookin nice and put this stuff on and went out for a light cross country ride. when i got back my chain was more nasty than before so while the lube did seem to work well and smelled nice it got my chain really dirty on a relatively easy and clean ride. i will continue to use this stuff till i have none left (only a few full chain applications because of the small bottle) but i will buy something else next time.

Purchased At:   Performance

Submitted by Chris Fellet a Cross Country Rider from St. Louis, MO, USA

Date Reviewed: January 22, 2010

Strengths:    Superior protection, durability, and cost effectiveness.

Weaknesses:    You have to be smarter than a 5th grader.

Bottom Line:
I've worked in various bike shops for going on 10 years, and I'm willing to give any lube a try. First, every lube needs to be wiped off after applying. It is only more apparent with this lube. It builds up a polymer coating, so you want that build up to protect the moving parts, not gum up the outer shape of your chain, and do nothing but give dirt and gunk a great place to land. Yes, you should de-grease your chain for optimum application. Yes, that is normally a bad thing to do to a chain... unless the lube that you are using will re-build the protection that the factory gunk gave the chain. If you're using something like Tri-flow, there is no build up, so there's no tough protection. If you do it right, this stuff will last a long time, and make your chain last as well. If you don't do it right, you'll end up with a big gunked up black drive train.

Favorite Trail:   Chubb

Purchased At:   Big Shark Bicycle Co

Similar Products Used:   Purple Extreme, Rock & Roll, White Lightening, Finish Line, Tri-Flow, Boeshield T-9, squirt, etc...

Bike Setup:   Road, mtn, dh, commuter....

Submitted by CaveDave a Cross Country Rider from Golden, CO USA

Date Reviewed: October 11, 2008

Strengths:    Smooth, probably the smoothest chain lube on the market. This lube will make your drive train more efficient and silent.

Weaknesses:    None if used properly.

Bottom Line:
This is a high maintenance lube for people who take care of their bike. The reason people complain about "black gunk" is because they don't clean their bike after every ride. MTBs especially. The chain should also look dry after you apply the lube. If you ritually do this, you will never have black stuff build up on your chain. I have been using this stuff for almost ten years! It also makes it easier to overhaul your bike when the time comes. Bottom Line: This sh#t is great!

Favorite Trail:   White Ranch

Purchased At:   Through Dumonde Tech

Similar Products Used:   Lube Job and Tri-Flow

Bike Setup:   I use it on my road and mtb.

Submitted by TiCN WC a Cross Country Rider from WA

Date Reviewed: October 3, 2008

Strengths:    stays on chain

Weaknesses:    gets really sticky and messy

Bottom Line:
I worked in a shop where our boss had a fetish for trying chain lubes and greases. I am allways willing to try a new one as well.
Dumond tech drys and gets sticky but not very greasy. I hot tanked my drivetrain prior to putting it on my chain. After two weeks it was a sticky mess. I was not impressed.

Simply put this chain lube will never go on my bike again. There are better options for any and all conditions out there.

Take a look at Purple extreme for the wet and Prolink for the dry. Squirt is on my to try list.

Similar Products Used:   Triflow, white lightning, finish line wet, finish line dry, Prolink, Purple extreme

Submitted by bensgig a Cross Country Rider from Bend, OR USA

Date Reviewed: July 7, 2008

Strengths:    Makes chain quiet

Weaknesses:    attracts dirt, then hardens. Good at first, and then 3 rides later you look at your chain and say "what the F?"

Bottom Line:
I would not buy this again. Stick with white lightning. All you have to do is put it on the night before and then don't wipe or anything. This one you have to worry about puttin too much on, and then wiping the excess off.

Favorite Trail:   won't tell you...otherwise you will go

Purchased At:   who knows

Similar Products Used:   White lightning

Bike Setup:   Santa Cruz Superlight, Jamis Dakar

Submitted by John Teeter from Colorado Springs, CO USA

Date Reviewed: October 19, 2007

Strengths:    Superior lubricant, hands down, the best on the market, period.

Bottom Line:
Dumonde Tech is simply the superior product. Nothing compares and there are one or two other lubricants out there that are great, but not to the level of Dumonde tech.

The company suffers measurably from horrible marketing to the point of inexcuseable non-existance. Neverthless, this is such a superior product as to beggar description. More bike shops ought to carry it.
Any notion or complaint about this product causing problems is altogether unfounded. Only a myopic idiot would make such remark.

Similar Products Used:   Pro-Link and a few other also rans........

Bike Setup:   Classic road (racing) bikes......, combined with gruppo (not by that fishing tackle company) based on reliabilty, durability, stability. You weight weenies and wannabe poseurs can go your own way, I go mine.

Submitted by Aaron a Weekend Warrior from Rainier, OR

Date Reviewed: March 16, 2007

Strengths:    Last a long time in wet and dry conditions, doesn't attract dirt, works for lubing other parts as well

Weaknesses:    none when used properly

Bottom Line:
The best lube on the market, works perfect. My large bottle that I purchased 5 years ago is still 1/3 full. The "black stuff" complaint I see is called dirt...which means you didn't start out with a clean chain. If you start with a clean chain and follow directions properly, nothing works as well as this lube.

Favorite Trail:   Stella Ridge

Purchased At:   Gregg's

Similar Products Used:   Pro-Link, Tri-Flow, Finish Line

Bike Setup:   2005 XLT

Submitted by JB a Weekend Warrior from Encinitas, CA

Date Reviewed: January 1, 2007

Strengths:    Makes chain very quiet. Easy to apply.

Weaknesses:    Can't buy it locally.

Bottom Line:
I used WL for years because I could grab the chain with my hands and not get black grime all over. I got tired of the heavy wax build up and marginal lubrication. I started using Prolink and was dissappointed because the black grime returned with a vengance and my chain was not very quiet. A friend told me about Dumonde Tech, I read the reviews and was skeptical but decided to give it a try. My chain was pretty grimey due to the Prolink so I cleaned it. I was suprised how much easier Dumonde was to apply, it is more viscous than PL so it is easier to get it on the chain instead of dripping off. I could tell with my bike on the work stand that the chain was quieter. When I rode up and the street I was astounded how much quieter it was. Looking forward to see how long it lasts.

Purchased At:   Online