Bike Medicine Purple Extreme Lube

3.83/5 (6 Reviews)

Purple Extreme is an advanced, high performance, synthetic bike chain lubricant. It provides excellent protection for chains, open gears and exposed metal surfaces subjected to severe loading. In addition, it works extremely well even in abrasive, cold, wet or acidic environments. Purple Extreme's additive technology forms a slippery, super-tough, synthetic film on metal surfaces that protects drivetrain parts far beyond the ability of conventional oils or waxes.

Submitted by SnakeHandling SingleSpeeder a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: November 14, 2013

Strengths:    Long lasting (not as long as advertised)
Doesn't attract a lot of dirt and grime
Chain runs super smooth

Weaknesses:    A little pricey

Bottom Line:
I upgraded to this lube. I really like it so far.

Submitted by pahart a Cross Country Rider from Friday Harbor, WA

Date Reviewed: January 23, 2010

Strengths:    Extremely clean, drivetrain stays very clean.

Weaknesses:    Does not last nearly as long as advertised. Comes off rapidly in wet riding. Chain wears out quickly unless reapplied frequently to a very clean chain.

Bottom Line:
Great if you have a fetish about keeping your chain and everything it contacts very clean. Downside: requires frequent re-application, not good in wet weather, may cause chain to wear out prematurely.

Favorite Trail:   Devil's Gulch, Cashmere, WA

Similar Products Used:   Rock & Roll Gold

Bike Setup:   Mostly used on commuter mtn/touring bike w/8spd Shimano components.

Submitted by Mark a Cross Country Rider from Lakewood CO

Date Reviewed: July 16, 2009

Strengths:    Keeps the chain clean. Reduces chain wear.

Weaknesses:    Hard to find. It might not last as long as they claim but it lasts at least three times as long as T9

Bottom Line:
My XTR chain is now 2yrs old and has almost no stretch

Purchased At:   red rocks cyclery

Similar Products Used:   T9 prolink rock and roll

Bike Setup:   5 inch trail bike. Road, TT

Submitted by rdoogan a Cross Country Rider from Wokingham, Berkshire, UK

Date Reviewed: July 14, 2008

Strengths:    Very clean running, doesn't collect dirt in even the worst conditions. This also makes it very easy to clean up and re-lube.

Weaknesses:    Didn't last anywhere near as long as they suggested. About 100 miles and it was like no lube at all. Very wet/muddy conditions would reduce that even further.

Bottom Line:
I had big hopes for the mileage after reading the manufacturers promises, but I failed to realise those. You also have to clean up before you re-apply, and I'm a bit lazy.

On the positive side, cleaning is easy as it is very good at staying clean.

Personally I won't buy it again. I get about the same mileage out of the White Lightning Epic, and that has the advantage of being able to squirt and go when I'm in a rush.

I'm going to try Green Oil next, so I'll review that soon!

Purchased At:   www.swinnertoncycles

Similar Products Used:   White Lightning Epic

Bike Setup:   Giant XTC Composite One

Submitted by Paul a Cross Country Rider from Seattle

Date Reviewed: January 23, 2008

Strengths:    No buildup, chain stays clean

Weaknesses:    Wears off in harsh elements

Bottom Line:
I tend to be extremely shall we say anal about drivetrain care. Purple Extreme is the best I've found with the caveat that you need to keep on top of it. That means regular relubing, more than you're used to probably. And cleaning between applications, altho PE requires minimal cleaning because it doesn't build up. If you like to slather on lube and fugeddaboutit, PE is not for you. If you figure on replacing your entire drivetrain (cluster, one or more rings and chain) when the chain finally breaks, use engine oil. If you like a smooth-rolling, slick-shifting chain and a drivetrain that lasts through several chain-lives, PE delivers in spades.

Favorite Trail:   Tahoe Rim Trail

Purchased At:   Internet

Similar Products Used:   Hey I've used every lube on earth; ProLink may be closest to this stuff

Bike Setup:   6 bikes, from road to freeride

Submitted by Wayne Mews a Weekend Warrior from Regina,Sask, Canada

Date Reviewed: December 21, 2007

Strengths:    CLean Chain

Weaknesses:    durability.

Bottom Line:
LBS recommended that it was a good lube. I found it was only good for about 200 to 250 km in dry conditions and disappeared rapidly in wet condition. I felt it let my chain wear prematurely. The chain did stay nicely clean.

I lubed every week and cleaned the drive train with a citrus based cleaner. The best I mileage betwwen lubes was about 250km one week. I am light at 135 lbs.

A satisfactory lube but maybe not the best

Bike Setup:   mountain bike frame - road tires 8 speed Sram/kmc/wipperman chains

Purple Extreme Lube

I got a little bottle of Purple Extreme lube in the sack of registration goodies at a race recently. I just cleaned everything and applied it, and I'm going to go ride now. In the meantime, I was wondering if anyone has been using this stuff for any length of time and what they think about it. It ha ... Read More »