VistaLite Total Eclipse Lights

3.65/5 (17 Reviews)

Even if you get caught in a violent downpour, the Total Eclipse flashing safety light keeps flashing, because it is completely waterproof. The sleek design encompasses 7 super-bright LED's, with 3 modes: steady, flashing and chase. Mounts to a seat post with a quick-release, and also has a belt clip for mounting to a pack or a rear pocket. Runs on 2 AAA batteries, included.

Submitted by Peggy Sands

Date Reviewed: July 8, 2014

Strengths:    bright light

Weaknesses:    the clip broke

Bottom Line:
It was good while it lasted, it just stopped working one day. Naturally I don't have the paperwork for a return

Submitted by Davezila from Alexandria

Date Reviewed: December 13, 2006

Strengths:    Bright. sturdy. good switch mechanism

Weaknesses:    Bike mounting brackets

Bottom Line:
This light is great. It seems everyone forgot to mention the best part of this light. IT SCREWS (not snaps) TOGETHER. Yes... it may require a screwdriver to replace batteries BUT it is watertight and most of all.... I dont come home to find only half a taillight on my bike! I have lost so many parts to those snap together pieces of junk that I will only go with this light. The mounting bracket is suspect so just use a good one from one of those snappy-snaps and you'll be fine. 5 flaming roscoes for this baby.

Favorite Trail:   Mums the word

Similar Products Used:   too many to remember

Bike Setup:   Yeti ASX - GT I-Drive and LTS - Specialized Hardtail

Submitted by Robert Chan a Weekend Warrior from San Diego, CA, USA

Date Reviewed: September 27, 2006

Strengths:    Very bright, but only with fully close to fully charged battery

Weaknesses:    Battery life is poor and product reliability. I need the tail light for about 6 months, about 3 times a week for about 30 minutes each ride. I go through 2 sets of AAA's in that time, but I guess somethings got to give to make them that bright.

Bottom Line:
I really like the brightness, and I guess the low battery life is not too much to pay considering I go through 2 sets of AAA's in the 6 winter months I need them. Initially, I liked them so much, I got 4 of them, 2 for my wife, 2 for me, we ride with 2 lights each. I never ride in the rain being a SoCal wimp, but after 2+ years, 2 out of the 4 taillights stopped working. That never happened with my cheapo $6 tail lights in the past, so I am going to look at other tail light options in the future.

Favorite Trail:   Ride home from work (Hey, I'm leaving work!)

Similar Products Used:   Low-end Vistalite tail lights

Bike Setup:   Schwinn Super Sport SL (road)
Schwinn Homegrown Pro (off-road)

Submitted by Tony a Weekend Warrior from SSI, GA

Date Reviewed: August 10, 2005

Strengths:    friends say it's bright, 180º + visibility, long battery life, easy to use with gloves, unclips easily

Weaknesses:    plastic clip broke during a bunny hop, narrow beam of really bright light but not so bright from the side, doesn't double as reflector when turned off, changing the batteries takes tools and effort (you have to make sure the weather seal is on correctly), the "christmas tree chase" mode is pretty pointless

Bottom Line:
other than the flimsy plastic belt clip, which broke, twice, but is now fixed with epoxy, this light is a good buy. bright, lightweight, has survived several downpours. light gets dim to let you know it's time to change the batteries. i ride in heavy traffic (atlanta), and i haven't been hit from behind yet, so i assume it does its job. i give it a four because the clip needs to be redesigned, but otherwise a solid light.

Purchased At:   REI

Bike Setup:   '05 Trek 6700 disc with cygolite night rover nimh

Submitted by Cameron Hess from Orange, CA USA

Date Reviewed: May 6, 2005

Strengths:    compact, lightweight, LED taillight, very long battery life; 3 light modes: on, blink, chase;

Weaknesses:    After a few months use, unit suffered some kind of electronic failure with 3 of the 7 LED lightbulbs no longer working. (Unit was NOT dropped) In addition, now whenever the two AAA batteries get a little low, the on/off/mode select button stops working after first push, leaving the light stuck in "on" mode, with no way to change the mode or turn off the light except to unscrew fasterners and remove batteries. Vistalight website offers no technical support or contact information.

Bottom Line:
Compact unit uses plastic magnifying lenses in front of each LED bulb to magnify light source in a relatively narrow window directly behind the bicycle. If light weight and styling are more important, AND if you are fortunate to get a unit that does not malfunction, you will probably be satisfied with Eclipse. If visibility and safety are your primary concern, then you might want to look for a taillight with a larger surface area and brighter illumination. If post sales support and warranty are important to you, look elsewhere.

Favorite Trail:   shortest route tween home & work

Purchased At:   Performance Cycle

Similar Products Used:   Cateye tail light that vibrated out of the under seat mounting bracket and was lost.

Bike Setup:   2002 Lemond Tourmalet with Profile Design Aerostryke aerobar, Shimano FlightDeck cycle computer, Performance Viewpoint Lazer headlight

Submitted by Bob a Weekend Warrior from Aurora, Colorado USA

Date Reviewed: September 1, 2004

Strengths:    Brilliantly bright-My wife passes me in her car on the way to work and says she sees me from a mile away

Weaknesses:    Haven't tried the belt clip so don't know about that.

Bottom Line:
I bought two of these little beauties so that I would have two post mounts. I just use the one and rotate it between bikes, and keep the other as a spare. Have only replaced the batteries twice this past year and I will ride 2000 miles this year. My buddies turned me on to this light and it's like everyone says-bright and alerts the cars behind you. That's all I can ask!

Favorite Trail:   Triple Bypass

Purchased At:   On-line

Bike Setup:   Giant Cypress for commuting and Lemond Wayzata for long rides and mountains

Submitted by JT from Arlington, VA

Date Reviewed: July 27, 2004

Strengths:    Brightness is awesome ... long battery life.

Weaknesses:    Button is a little awkward to reach with gloves on.
Belt clip sucks.

Bottom Line:
This is a follow up to my review from two years ago.

I am getting ready to purchase my third light. The first one fell off because of the crappy belt clip so I had to get my second one. To keep that one from falling off, I took a strip of gaffer's tape (just narrow enough to fit between the lights) and wrapped it around the light a few times ... problem solved. It sucks that I had to do that but, for this light, it's a small price to pay. Light No. 3? Well, I just purchased a new bike and there is no other light I'd even consider.

In 2+ years I've only ever had any water get in one time and that was my fault for not properly re-sealing the light when I changed the battery. I let it dry out and the problem went away.

Overall: The belt clip notwithstanding, this is an awesome light.

Submitted by John a Downhiller from Vashon, WA

Date Reviewed: June 16, 2004

Strengths:    Big in brightness but small in size.

Weaknesses:    Waterproof? Not.

Bottom Line:
It worked great. It was very bright. I noticed when I replaced the first set of batteries that one of the battery terminals was starting to corrode. VistaLite Tech rep said that the unit must be taken apart and dried out if it is exposed to rain. Earlier this week it gave out. Pulling it apart, I found the terminal had rusted through and broke :(. I'm sure that they will replace it, but it is a bit of a hassle.

If you live in a dry climate, by all means, get this light.

Similar Products Used:   Cateye

Bike Setup:   LS Appy

Submitted by Amie from Austin, TX

Date Reviewed: November 5, 2003

Strengths:    Nice and bright

Weaknesses:    Horrible belt clip

Bottom Line:
Well, I can't say much good about this because the belt clip came unglued a few hours after I purchased it and I can't repair it. The teeny tiny screws 'holding' the belt clip to the actual light don't even screw in all the way, leaving me to suspect that the glue was the only thing holding the light to the belt clip/seat mount. For $20, I expect better. Now I have to take this POS back to the shop and see if I can find something else.

Similar Products Used:   Cateye

Submitted by Todd a Cross Country Rider from People's Republic of Putney (VT)

Date Reviewed: August 26, 2003

Strengths:    weatherproofness(?), brightness, visibility

Weaknesses:    the mounting clip is really pretty flimsy

Bottom Line:
This is the best light I've used. I've had other lights with flimsy clips, too. I won't use those again, but I'm buying more of this one. Its strengths far outweigh its single weakness.

I have had excellent luck using this light affixed to my Roc Loc on the back of my helmet. It's light enough that I don't really notice it and it's up high enough for really good visibility. My body absorbs most of the shock so the clip's durability isn't much of an issue. My sweat is, however, so I take care to wipe down the light after rides.

Similar Products Used:   Cateye, not sure what model

Submitted by Jimmy Chan a Cross Country Rider from South Coogee, New South Wales, Australia

Date Reviewed: June 18, 2003

Strengths:    Absolutely brilliant led display with options to choose from. It now comes with a fool-proof seat post mount. Long battery life depending on how you use the light display.

Weaknesses:    Very unreliable belt clip! If you use the seat post mount there will be no problems - guaranteed!

Bottom Line:
You get what you pay for.....This light has never let me down and it probably never will. I have gone one step further and made a customised S/S bracket that is adapted to fit two of these lights side by side. The logic behind this is simple. When both lights are flashing it appears to be a much bigger light when seen from behind and more importantly if one fails I have one left that works. For those of you who know what it's like to be nearly wiped out by idiot drivers there are no second chances. Full marks all round for a top product!

Favorite Trail:   The Oaks Fire Trail

Purchased At:   Cambria Bicycle Outfitter

Similar Products Used:   Various cateye lights.

Bike Setup:   Cannondale F900SX with Lefty fork.

Submitted by kimo a Weekend Warrior from aiea, hawaii

Date Reviewed: May 19, 2003

Strengths:    Super bright light in a small package. Three light patterns to choose from; steady, blinking and chasing. (2) AAA batteries. Water-tight construction.

Weaknesses:    None so far.

Bottom Line:
Highly recommended. Visible from long distance.

Purchased At:   PerformanceBike

Similar Products Used:   Planet Bike, Specialized, Cateye

Bike Setup:   Dual suspension MTB set up for asphalt pounding.

Submitted by Peter a Weekend Warrior from NYC

Date Reviewed: April 4, 2003

Strengths:    Super bright.

Weaknesses:    Belt clip failure.

Bottom Line:
Brightness is all. In big city traffic, your light can save your life. I used my first one for bike commuting for two years. No problems with the seatpost mount. Then I used the belt clip on my backpack and it fell off in traffic. I retrieved it and tried again and then lost it again. That time, I wasn't so lucky. I bought a new one because you can't beat this light for brightness. Now it's on my back pack with a rubber band for reinforcement. Is this a good review or a bad one...hell I don't know.

Favorite Trail:   Manhattan and surrounds

Purchased At:   nashbar

Bike Setup:   Klein hardtail

Submitted by ryan warrington a Weekend Warrior from denver colorado

Date Reviewed: December 20, 2002

Strengths:    Light, small, EXTREMELY bright and trouble-free. I wouldn't consider anything else.

Weaknesses:    None. Price, maybe, but you get what you pay for.

Bottom Line:
I've been using mine for years and never had a problem at all. Commuting in the rain, hot weather, cold weather, I never even think about it anymore. It's amazingly bright, brighter than other ones I've seen.

I usually use the belt clip on a backpakc, messenger bag or jersey pocket, and it's never fallen off. The seatpost mount works great too, but I switch bikes alot.

Favorite Trail:   The OverLord

Purchased At:   bike shop

Similar Products Used:   cateye, trek, specialized and they're all trash.

Bike Setup:   colnago C40

Submitted by Ken a Cross Country Rider from Clois, CA, USA

Date Reviewed: October 23, 2002

Strengths:    Very bright, long battery life, convenient mount, People see you almost a mile away.

Weaknesses:    None that I've found.

Bottom Line:
This is hands down the best tail light I have ever owned. It is the brightest LED battery operated light I have seen. I use it mostly when I ride on the street. Cars really notice you at night with this thing on. The batteries last about 100 hrs in flash mode (it has thre modes; steady, flash, Christmas tree), although it is much dimmer as the batteries near the end of thier life. I like to replace them after about 50-75 hrs just to keep the light at its brightest. No problems that I have found. It just does what it's supposed to. A definite 5 star product as far as I'm concerned.

Purchased At:   Cyclopath