VistaLite NIGHTSTICK CODE 25 Lights

4.6/5 (5 Reviews)

· -Two 5W HOT Halogen headlight · -15W HOT Halogen headlight · -Three high-power NiHM Nightsticks · -Three Chargers, two remote switches, helmet mount · -5W=2.8 hours; Two 5W=1.4 hours; 15W=1 hour · -Up to 6 hours of continuous illumination

Submitted by Andrew a Cross Country Rider from Denver, CO U.S.A.

Date Reviewed: September 29, 2006

Strengths:    Hello everyone, I recently found a source for nightstick replacement batteries that offer a much longer burn time! Here's a link http://www.batteryspace.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=2325

Weaknesses:    short burn time.

Bottom Line:
Battery upgrade saves you from having to spend over $400 on upgrading to H.I.D.

Bike Setup:   2006 Ellsworth Truth, Fox Forx 100 RLC, Avid Juicy 7, Fox Propedal shock, Crossmax Tubeless, IRC Mythos Tubeless

Submitted by Jim a Cross Country Rider from Louisville, KY, USA

Date Reviewed: August 17, 2004

Strengths:    3 lights, 2 bar, 1 helmet, all cables and 3 batteries and 3 chargers. Good halogen lights. Nice battery charge life.

Weaknesses:    No where near as bright as the super bright lights like niterider, but not nearly as expensive.

Bottom Line:
These lights are a really good value for the money. The quality of the components and accessories are excellent. They work great when alone but if someone with a niterider light is behind you, your beams will become lost in their's.

Purchased At:   pricepoint

Bike Setup:   sugar 3+

Submitted by Rich Greenwood a Weekend Warrior from Albuquerque NM

Date Reviewed: January 23, 2004

Strengths:    Inexpensive, lots of lights for the $$$

Weaknesses:    No smart charger

Bottom Line:
So far they are perfect for me. Got them at the LBS "slightly used" and missing one of the three batteries.
But for $100 I have a handle bar (5W) and helmet (15W) light
plus a spare 5W light. I like the battery design. The hand grip mounted on/off switch is also a nice touch. (Nite MTB Lesson #7, When shutting a helmet mounted light off on the trail, stop the bike completely first!)
My typical nite ride is 1 hr 10 min. Use the 5W the whole time and the 15W for the good stuff (about 45 min), so they last at least that long. I guess if you want longer burn times you should get a more expensive system, but for a hour long ride in the dark this system works well. No quality issues so far.

Favorite Trail:   Foothills 365

Bike Setup:   Paratrooper with more upgrades that the cost of the bike new.

Submitted by Tim S. from Spokane WA USA 99206

Date Reviewed: January 9, 2004

Strengths:    3 lights and 3 batteries (same size as a mini pump - can mount on frame w/ similar holder)

Weaknesses:    None so far, just got them. Will report back after I've used them for 6 months to a year.

Bottom Line:
I've been told that there are better lights but the Code25s are exactly what I was looking for. Got them on sale from Pricepoint.com - about $100 off - can't complain about that. I plan to use the 15w and 5w (helmet light) and my wife will use the 5w on her bike for commuting (7 miles roundtrip).

The quality of the batteries and connecting wires looks very good. I would give the lights a 4/5 as they are not "waterproof" yet I know Vistalite never intended them to be. There are small thumb switches that can be mounted on your bar near your shifter/brake levers so that you may turn the lights on/off w/out taking your hands off of the bar (nice touch).

Battery holder mounts on the frame and can sit underneath your bottle cage, though I have discovered that my bolts are a bit too short and will get a longer set from my LBS. I guess on night rides my pump will go in my Outdoor Products hydro bag.

The lights seem pretty bright - even the 5w I mounted on my helmet. My wife finally made me take it off in the house as she thought I looked a bit silly walking around naked w/ a miner's cap on my head. My Bell helmet is curved on the top (like everyone elses) but the light's mounting plate (attaches w/ velcro to your helmet) is flat - a bit of a curve on the mounting plate would've been a nice touch though when it is velcroed and strapped on - its still very stable.

Favorite Trail:   Dishman Hills

Purchased At:   Pricepoint.com

Similar Products Used:   Cheap $20 - $30 Cateyes (no complaints - they served their purpose)

Bike Setup:   N/A

Submitted by Peter from Tasmania, Australia

Date Reviewed: June 2, 2003

Strengths:    the picture on mtbr is not correct

Bottom Line:
look at the website

Purchased At:   0