TurboCat S25 Lights

4.85/5 (27 Reviews)

Combine a 10-watt flood S10 light with a 15-watt spot S15 for a powerful 25 watt on-road or off-road dual beam system. These lights can be rotated 180 degrees in all directions, up and down and side to side. Place them anywhere on your handlebars and still have perfect beam alignment. All TurboCat dual beam systems allow you to aim the lights independently - low beam in close, high beam further out - for maximum benefit. Available with lead-acid frame mount or ni-cad water bottle batteries. Two-year limited warranty on batteries. All parts of the system are quick release; nothing is left on the bike. Prices range from $190 - $235. Add $18 per light for CNC-machined aluminum cam and lever quick release.

Submitted by Farmer Ted a Cross Country Rider from Fort Collins, CO

Date Reviewed: November 24, 2009

Strengths:    Longevity, durability, simplicity, handmade in USA.

Weaknesses:    None that I an think of

Bottom Line:
I bought 2 sets of Turbocat lights in 1993 when I was working at a bike shop while in college. almost 17 years later and the lights just keep going and going and going. I have never had any problems with them at all and have only had to replace the battery packs a couple of times over the years. I have used these lights in heat, cold, snow, rain, etc, and over some gnarly technical mountain terrain...they're just fantastic. I'm glad to see T-cat still around after all these years and still making great products by riders for riders. I think they've got to be one of the last companies like that out there. If you want a set of lights to hand down as family heirlooms, then buy some Turbocats.

Favorite Trail:   most

Purchased At:   long ago in a galaxy

Bike Setup:   wheels, cranks, frame, gears

Submitted by Bryan a Weekend Warrior from Hopewell Junction NY

Date Reviewed: January 5, 2007

Strengths:    Extremely reliable, competetive cost compared to other high end light systems.

Weaknesses:    Slow charge times compared to competitors, lack of overcharge protection/ trickle charger (should you forget to unplug them).

Bottom Line:
I have owned the s25 and tg15 helmet lights for several years now, and after owning competitors products(with non-stop problems), the only parts replaced have been the batteries recently after 3+ years use. Their designs are purposely simple in design, extremely reliable, and parts, if you should ever need them, are relatively cheap. I use them all year round, rain and snow, sub zero temps, crashes in mud, zero problems. If you're tired of overhyped,overpriced crap (and most have useless features), laugh at all your buddies stuck on the side of the trail in the dark and go ride. 5++ chilis

Similar Products Used:   Niterider products ,among others.

Submitted by Steven a Cross Country Rider from Petaluma, CA

Date Reviewed: February 22, 2005

Strengths:    Bright! Good run times (w/ NiCad battery and using high beam sparingly). SIMPLE - easy on, easy off, easy adjustments. Light. Durable. No crap left on the bike if you remove them - just uses a simple (but strong) velcro strap system. Good racer support program (my impression from their website, anyway - haven't used it yet).

Weaknesses:    Can't turn night into day. Appears that they can't be adapted to a headlight without some fiddling and a new battery (unless you want to carry a huge waterbottle shaped object in your Camelbak - I don't). The high beam switch wire is THICK and not very flexible, making it difficult to position.

Bottom Line:
These light work. Well. And they're simple, so there's very little that can go wrong. Very clean looking, as well.

I picked these up on eBay to use primarily for commuting at night, but I plan to use them to do some night rides, maybe even a 24hr. race eventually. For some reason, the setup came with the wrong charger for the NiCad bottle battery - it was the charger for the SLA type. I was confused, but I guess that's the risk you take when dealing on eBay. The folks at TurboCat were quite helpful in getting me the correct charger, and they also provided me with a copy of the owner's manual. I guess now if I ever want to pick up the Macho SLA battery from them (longer run times) or maybe a SLA TrailGuide battery pack and helmet mount (to run one of the lights as a headlight), I'll already have the charger.

Good, simple, non-mass produced lights with good customer support. Get 'em, you won't be dissappointed.

Purchased At:   eBay

Similar Products Used:   Cheap Bell $5 halogen, Cateye EL-400, Petzl Tikka headlamp

Bike Setup:   Does it matter?

Submitted by Brent a Weekend Warrior from Corvallis, OR

Date Reviewed: December 8, 2004

Strengths:    Excellent for riding at night, illuminates the path quite brilliantly.

Weaknesses:    Reliability of bulbs, specifically the 10 watt bulb. I have averaged only 35 to 40 hours of use before it burns out.
I have dealt with the bike shop, and with the Turbocat customer service to solve the problem to no avail. I was told, well it's under warranty for a year!? Apparently they just don't care about customer satisfaction, oh well!

Bottom Line:
If you can't/ won't do a return on a faulty product.....

Purchased At:   cycletopia

Bike Setup:   Klein Adept

Submitted by El Diablo a Cross Country Rider from Marquette Heights, IL

Date Reviewed: October 8, 2004

Strengths:    DURABILITY!!. I've used this light in mud, snow, freezing rain, tornado sirens blazing, you name the conditions and I've used these lights in it. This light has never failed...NEVER! Two years and counting. One of my lights has a real cool gouge in the housing from a real uncool crash, still works, nuff said.

Weaknesses:    The battery terminals are kind of a pain to get connected to the correct light. It’s not really a weakness, more of a nuisance. I work with Molex terminals at work so it was as simple switch to reverse the gender on the low beam lamp terminals to make plugging in a no brainer. It would also be nice if the high beam switch wiring were a little more flexible as to accommodate various handle bar widths.

Bottom Line:
When I bought this light, I was asking the LBS owner why I should buy this brand. He showed me in his office several NightRider lights that he USED to carry that were DOA and needing warranty work. Obviously he will not be having to apologize to me about 1st price- 2nd quality merchandise, cuz this light rocks.thanks Mike!

Favorite Trail:   Indy

Purchased At:   Little Ade's

Similar Products Used:   None, why waste money on the inferior.

Submitted by Aaron Baker a Cross Country Rider from Lubbock, Texas, Lubbock

Date Reviewed: September 9, 2004

Strengths:    Bright, Long Lasting, Very very very reliable.

Weaknesses:    Hah!!! uhu, nothing

Bottom Line:
This light is by far the best light out there. Even though this is my first "REAL" light setup, I already know that this light is the best. There is no way that there is a better light system out there. This light is "CRAZY" bright. The First night i used this light i went to ride with two friends of mine and they rode on both side of me and i had enough light from the flood alone to guide all three of us for way more than the light is supposed to go.

Also, the customer service is like no other. Elaine is awsome. she answered all of my questions then explained things that i needed to know that were more helpful than she could know.

If you don't have the money for this light, then save up, if you buy a cheaper light, WELL "YOU GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR!!!!"

Favorite Trail:   Any trail in the 4 corner area (New Mexico, Colorado, Utah, Arizona)

Purchased At:   TurboCats

Similar Products Used:   no good cateye opticube, but what do you expect to get when you only pay $50. BUT, Good for safety with the flash.

Bike Setup:   TREK 4500, rock shox judy TT fork, shimano xc parts, off brand clip in pedals.

Submitted by Matt a Racer from Stanford, CA

Date Reviewed: January 22, 2004

Strengths:    Durability, simplicity, light weight, great light output.

Weaknesses:    Price of replacement parts.

Bottom Line:
These lights were designed by engineers for engineers. They are beautiful in their simplicity. And even if the elegant engineering doesn't mean anything to you, you'll love the light weight, even light output, and durability.
I got a used S25 on eBay with a dead lead acid water bottle battery. As with just about all lights, replacement batteries are crazy expensive and they don't even make the lead acid water bottle battery any more. However, replacing the guts of the battery with NiMH cells is relatively simple. The only challenge was finding a truly smart, fast, NiMH charger, something almost impossible to find from a light company. Batteryspace.com hooked me up with 2 NiMH packs and a charger for less than $60. For what it's worth, the lead acid battery pack and charger that came with the Turbocat was a great system, it was just dead when I got it, probably from abuse (over discharging). 5 Chilis overall, but I'm glad I didn't pay full price.

Favorite Trail:   Skeggs aka ECDM

Purchased At:   eBay

Similar Products Used:   Many smaller lights

Bike Setup:   Many :)

Submitted by Tom a Cross Country Rider from Raleigh

Date Reviewed: October 26, 2003

Strengths:    High quality construction, very bright 15 Watt bulb, good battery life.
Comes with two lights - the 10 Watt is probably adequate for most rides.
Velcro fasteners work just fine.

Weaknesses:    TurboCat doesn't make a really good taillight. They should.

Bottom Line:
Unless you ride 40 mph continuously, the 15 watt spot light is about all you need pointing forward. And until TurboCat makes a good tailight, I'll keep my 10 watt flood pointed backwards, and my friends tell me they can see me a mile away.
TurboCat's bulb really illuminates the road surface, much better than the HID lamps and LEDs do.
When the battery gets low, the 15 watt goes out, but the 10 watt hangs in there anouther 15 minutes or so.
Plug-and-forget-about-it rechargable battery is nice.
If my commute were a full hour, maybe I'd need their Macho battery. If I went at 40 mph through the woods, maybe I'd like something brighter.
If you commute in the dark and even rain, as I do, this does the trick!

Favorite Trail:   commute to work

Purchased At:   TurboCat, direct

Similar Products Used:   Little LED flashers.

Bike Setup:   15 Watt bulb hanging beneath my handlebars on my touring bike. 10 Watt bulb sticking out from my left handlebar grip, pointed backwards, with a clear red lens over it. I now have a very bright taillight! NiCad battery is good for morning and evening commute, 45 minutes each way.

Submitted by Mick a Weekend Warrior from Lenexa, KS, USA

Date Reviewed: July 31, 2003

Strengths:    High quality machined parts, velcro strap mounting system remarkably secure.

Weaknesses:    Light housings can get warm - instructions recommend not using the high beam when not moving. Macho battery is heavy (44 oz.)

Bottom Line:
These lights are awesome. I have done two street / trail night rides this season. Low beam is great for 95% of riding - when the pace quickens, just punch the high beam button and burn the sky!
All accessories are included to protect the frame paint and to secure all wires. EZ-on, EZ-off.

Bike Setup:   2002 Giant XTC NRS Air

Submitted by dookie b a Cross Country Rider from riverside ca usa

Date Reviewed: July 2, 2003

Strengths:    bright, durable, easy to operate

Weaknesses:    velcro bar mounts

Bottom Line:
Most of my buddies use night rider, and I hope they all regret it. It seems that every ride someone with night riders have some kind of failure.
Not so with the turbocats. They have been totally reliable the whole time. Everyone I know who uses them have had no problems what so ever.
My only complaint is the velcro bar straps. It is hard to get them tight enough so they wont move around when it gets really bumpy. Invest in the cnc quick release, and no more problem.
Great product, great price, get them.

Favorite Trail:   just ride

Purchased At:   woodcrest bikes

Bike Setup:   03 giant nrs2, 03 giant warp ds1 on steroids, supergo access single speed

Submitted by david a Weekend Warrior from va

Date Reviewed: April 9, 2003

Strengths:    It is light weight very reliable. Customer service is unreal. They are great people to deal with.

Weaknesses:    I have not found one yet.

Bottom Line:
The light is awsome. I can not say enough about it. The customer service at Turbocat is unreal. I also have there helmet light and I lost the strap that you can use to velcro the the cord to the back of the helmet and they sent me another one free. Before I purchased the lights I also called them to explain a couple things about them and they took the time to answer ever question. They are the best.

Favorite Trail:   belle isle

Purchased At:   Bikefactory

Bike Setup:   Rocky Mountain pipeline

Submitted by Bryan a Weekend Warrior from Springfield, VA

Date Reviewed: March 17, 2002

Strengths:    Very bright light, solid construction, and great attachment devices (using the quick release, not the velcro).

Weaknesses:    Price, battery weight(upgrades available).

Bottom Line:
Great product. This is an investment piece for your bike. The best overall setup for offroading is the low/high beam for the bars with the additional helment mounted light. Gives you great depth and turns the night into day. You won't need to use the high beam too much but comes in handy if your eyes start playing tricks on you the trail.

Now that I have a road bike and see people riding home with flashlights taped on their helments and handlebars, I have to laugh. These lights put the others to shame. Very solid/compact construction with a very bright, white light. Get the upgraded batteries if you have the $$$. The helment light battery is a bit bulky. For the money, these are the way to go.

Purchased At:   Bluesky Bicycles

Similar Products Used:   Cheap Cateye light

Bike Setup:   Specilized Rockhopper for the off-road trails and a Specialized Allez Sport III for the road.

Submitted by Brian a Cross Country Rider from San Diego, CA

Date Reviewed: July 12, 2001

Strengths:    Bright. Light. Looks f'in cool. Adjustable. Able to blind punkass motorist who shoot their brights at you.

Weaknesses:    Battery is average. Wish the flood lights were a bit brighter and covered more. Cabling is a bit flimsy. Standard Velcro light is worth ditching for CNC quick releases

Bottom Line:
Yeah, they're worth if you're going to invest in any kind of lighting. Nicest thing about this is that you can point both lights in different directions. And they look so friggin' professional. You almost feel like a wuss riding with this light on; it's that bright.

Purchased At:   http://www.turbocatusa.com/

Similar Products Used:   Big ass flood flash light straped on with ductape.

Bike Setup:   Schwinn S-20, carbon Y'ish frame.

Submitted by Anton a Cross Country Rider from MSP, MN USA

Date Reviewed: August 31, 2000

Strengths:    Military-grade construction, military-grade appearance, bright enough to blind from 30 feet away.

Weaknesses:    No ideal mounting or wiring system is readily available for a Y-frame bike. Will not ignite dry leaves from 30 feet away.

Bottom Line:
These are lovely lights whose appearance is either jewel-like or HK-MP5-like, I'm not sure which. The aluminum gets hot after a short time, though not really as hot as the anti-lawsuit warnings in the manual would make it seem. Riding through heavy downpours results in steaming lights, which is amusing.

I wish there was a better way of mounting the battery, besides the Twofish seatpost bottle holder, which tends to change position at inopportune moments while crashing down staircases.

The lights are bright as hell, and I rarely find that I need more illumination during my 8 mile ride home from work at around 10 pm each night. If, however, you're like me, in that your ego is stroked by having the most powerful products available, splurge for the S47 (I wish I had, but I felt like I was splurging for the S25, a purchase that I now regret spending so little on). First of all, the aluminum quick-release for the S47 looks marginally cooler. Second of all, if it's more powerful than the S25, it must be pretty damn bright. Considering that I really don't need more power, and that this need is only borne of a perverse need to one-up my fellow riders, I'll have to give them a 5 for meeting my needs. 5 for value too, which I would not have understood before using them regularly.

Favorite Trail:   Rwy 22, MSP Inl Arpt

Purchased At:   turbocatusa.com

Similar Products Used:   Some cheap Specialized AA-battery clip-on.

Bike Setup:   Y11, various flashy aftermarket garbage.

Submitted by Andrew a Racer from Zurich, Switzerland

Date Reviewed: June 28, 2000

Strengths:    Look good, function well, well built (CNC machined), very bright white light, light is even and almost perfectly circular, excellent battery, no frills - just lights!

Weaknesses:    Not cheap, tend to slip around a bit on the handlebars when not really really tightly mounted.

Bottom Line:
See strengths.
I did a comparison between my S25s and a friends Vista lights that have the same 'claimed' output power and battery specs and noticed the following:
1) Vista lights were not as bright (not even close in fact)
2) The Vista beam was yellow in colour, not white
3) The Vista beam was not as even and not circular
4) The Vista battery did not have the same life span as the TurboCat one. I think the operation times TC quote are quite conservative.

To add some extra TC kudos, I swapped the battery from a Lead acid to the NiCad and paid the difference. When I had a problem with the charger possibly being different I spoke to the rep (in Switzerland) who directly and immediately contacted TC in the US. I spoke to the guys there personally and my incompatibilty fears were dissolved immediately by there assurances. Very professional. Two thumbs up for TC.

If I had the cash I would get the helmet mounted light as well to make a perfect night trail blazing combo.

Favorite Trail:   Bachtel

Similar Products Used:   Tacky cheap products not worth mentioning.

Bike Setup:   A fast one

schwinn s25

hi all, this is my first post my name is lou and i'm from nj. i have a schwinn s25 (yes i know it is a low end bike so please no insults) i needed a bike, bought this used but like new. the price was right and it looks cool. the rear shock is a bit soft. i was thinking of taking the spring out and ... Read More »

Need help deciding on a cheap light - TurboCat S25 vs Magicshine

Hello, I need help on deciding which light to get. I am trying to decide between a TurboCat S25 and the Magicshine 900. I found a TurboCat S25 for less than 100 bucks and the Magicshine seems to run about 90. If anyone could think of anything better I would definitely look at it. I dont plan on d ... Read More »

Better battery charge for TurboCat S25?

Hi - I bought a used set of TurboCat lights 5-6 weeks weeks ago. The person took a few weeks to send the charger, and in the mean time, I pieced together a charging system. The battery is a 6V Li. battery and the charger that came with the system charges @7.5V but it does not shut off when its compl ... Read More »