TrailLED DS Lights

The DS (the light formerly known as the Dark Star) has been redesigned in the image of it's BIG brother, the Halo, and maintains the same quality and attention to detail. The DS houses five of the highest performing CREE LEDs available and emits 3000 lumens. We deliver those 3000 lumens in a solid, anodized aluminum light-body weighing 100 grams. We have maintained tight control over both output and color temperature to give you maximum output with the best color rendition available in the industry. The unique, low-profile, arched design and multiple lenses of the DS produce what we like to call MPSD (multi-point shadow definition), rendering unparalleled depth perception. The unique integrated mounting system also allows unmatched flexibility and convenience in mounting. And if all of that isn't enough, our battery packs boast a 1:1 charge ratio, meaning you only need two battery packs to run continuously. With all Trail Led lights, no compromises have been made in materials, design or construction. Trail Led lights are all handmade in the USA, by bikers for bikers.

Submitted by PBnJ a Racer

Date Reviewed: October 22, 2014

Strengths:    Bright enough to forget you're night riding
Bright enough to not need (or even want) a second light on the bar
Runs cooler and more efficiently than my older TrailLED light
Build quality/looks

Weaknesses:    Haven't found one yet, but I know I'll get great customer service if I do have a complaint

Bottom Line:
About five years ago, I had several friends bring out their lights for a friendly light test. One light stood out above the rest, the original 1200 lumen TrailLED Darkstar, so I bought it the next week, and have been using it heavily since then.

Yesterday I upgraded to the 5 LED, 3000 lumen DS, with two extralarge batteries for 24 hour racing. During my first night ride with it last night, I noticed 2 things immediately. One, I would no longer feel the need for a second light on the handlebar for extreme situations. The extra light from multiple sources put shadows where I needed them, to help me identify unlevel ground. But more importantly, I realized how hard I used to work to see with a lesser light while going fast. With the new DS on high, that stress was gone. I didn't have to concentrate all the time, straining to see, and making judgement calls (guesses) about what the terrain was. It was possible to just ride at full speed and forget that I was night riding at all. It was that big of a difference, and another rider with the DS last night completely agreed. It was amazing.

Add the fantastic build quality, the respectable price and the 1:1 charge time, and this purchase was a no-brainer. It was nice that I was able to buy this new light with my winnings from a 24 hour race last weekend that I rode with my 5 year old Darkstar, but maybe that next podium will come a little easier!

Brian B

Favorite Trail:   Long ones

Purchased At:

Similar Products Used:   1990s NiteRider Halogen lights
2000s NiteRider HID lights
Amazon/ebay bargain-bin LED lights with ridiculous lumen claims
2009 TrailLED Darkstar, 1200 Lumens

Bike Setup:   Singlespeed since '99

Submitted by lostinthewoods6 a Cross Country Rider

Date Reviewed: February 1, 2014

Strengths:    Light weight
Quick charge time
Quality built
Customer service

Weaknesses:    Only one thing I could find is the mounting with the straps. Out of 3 helmets I have one that took a little trial and error to get mounted at a good angle.

Bottom Line:
Bright and great burn time. Even with the smaller battery I have not been able to drain the batterry . The value for the amount of light is superb. The construction has greatly improved over the previous version DS I still have and continue to use. It is an extremely rugged , light weight, and dependable light which has not left me in the dark.The customer service is fabulous.