Trail Tech MR 11 Helmet Light Kit - Li-Ion Lights

Black MR11 helmet lights. Accepts 12 volts. Draws 13 watts per light. 6 ounces per light. 46x49x82mm. 5600K. 570 foot candles. 6100 Lux. Spot:6° or Flood:13° beam angle. Available as single or dual light kits.

These kits include a Trail Tech Li-Ion battery and charger. 7800 mAh. 4 hour charge time. Powers one MR11 for 6 hours 30 minutes or two MR11 for 3 hours 30 minutes before recharging. 18 oz.

Submitted by joedirt24 a Cross Country Rider from delco Pa

Date Reviewed: November 23, 2008

Strengths:    Everything. Great light for the money.

Weaknesses:    I had a bad ballast BUT trail tech took care of me. No problems

Bottom Line:
I have the dual light setup for my dirtbike to much light for where I ride. Got a single light setup much better for me. I ride close to houses and I don't want to attract too much attention. Awesome light for me and I know if I want more I know where to get it Trail Tech.

Favorite Trail:   ANYWHERE

Purchased At:   www.trailtech.net

Bike Setup:   Dos Niner,Reba,XTR, and XO

Submitted by JSlade11 a Cross Country Rider from State College, PA, USA

Date Reviewed: November 18, 2008

Strengths:    Bright light, compact battery, not too heavy, over 4 hour runtime with 4400 mAh Li-ion battery.

Weaknesses:    None except that I had to make my own helmet mount because the stick on mounts are designed for motocycle helmets. Other than than, it's awesome.

Bottom Line:
I purchased the "do it yourself" TrailTech MR-11 13w HID light from batteryspace.com and a 4400mAh Li-ion battery (with 13.2V regulator switch) and charger along with it. I was looking to get a Niterider Flight 2.0 HID but I wanted something with a longer run time. This light is basically the same bulb and ballast, just a whole lot cheaper and just as effective. I also was looking into the newer LED technology lights, but in order to get one that put out about the same amount of light (claimed 570+ lumens) it would have cost me at least $150 (60%) more. One important thing to note is that you should either get a 13.2V Ni-MH battery, or get one of the 14.8V Li-ion batteries that INCLUDES A SWITCH WITH A VOLTAGE REGULATOR. Batteryspace.com sells a combo with the light and battery, or you can get one of the recommended batteries listed on their website when purchasing the "do it yourself kit". The only thing I had to "do" was charge the battery and go. They offer batteries with the correct connectors and you don't even have to do ANY soldering or modifying. People have complained in the past of ballasts failing, but this is because people were using 14.8V Li-ion packs without a voltage regultator, and the peak voltage for these packs is somewhere around 17 V, higher than the ballast's maximum rated voltage.

Light Output:
I like to ride technical stuff (rocky, logs, fast down-hills) and with this light had no problem riding just as fast as I would if it was during the day. There was even snow on the ground and small amount of ice, but I was able to clearly see the trail and pick a good line regardless of the conditions. I went riding with some of my buddies who were using NiteRider MiNewt.X2 Dual LED lights and my light was far brighter than theirs. Everytime I would get close to them their light was basically drowned out. I have used another HID light (Niterider Headhunter) and found this light to be as bright or brighter, and less than half the price.

Features:
This light doesn’t have a whole lot of features; the main features are bright and (so far) reliable. Unlike a lot of the lights out there this light only has on/off, instead of different levels of light. I do not have any problem with this at all though because with a 4400mAh Li-ion battery it is supposed to last over 4 hours, so who needs to turn it down in order to save juice? This kit may be a little heavier than some more dim lights, but I would rather have the light than super light-weight. Super-lightweight doesn’t help you see than giant rock or drop-off and fix your busted arm/leg/face. The kit does include a handlebar mount and a helmet mount (helmet mount is designed for motorcycle helmets and uses “stickyback tape”. I modified mine to fit well on my mountain bike helmet and now it’s great). The casing of the light itself is aluminum, so it should be quite durable, and the connectors seem to be very solid and stay connected well. There is a rubber seal around the bulb which keeps it from vibrating around and is supposed to make it waterproof (I have not tested it underwater or anything). The handle-bar mount works, but the bracket uses a screw to tighten it onto the bar instead of a quick-release mechanism. I do not find this to be a problem because I just put the mount on my bike for the fall/winter and leave it on whether I’m using it or not, since it is not big or in the way.

Closing Remarks:
I love this light and I would not hesitate to buy it again. Batteryspace.com offered the best possible deal I could find for an HID light of this quality with a Li-ion battery pack. If you are in the market for a bright HID light and haven’t bought into all of the hype about LED lights, I would definitely check this guy out.

Favorite Trail:   Tussey Ridge