Home | Reviews | Lights | SSB

4.15/5 (13 Reviews)

SSB Cygolite Hilux-30

Submitted by Jim Morreno a Cross Country Rider from NYC

Date Reviewed: May 9, 2002

Strengths:    BRIGHT!!!! CHEAP!!!! HIGH QUALITY!!!

Weaknesses:    The GEL_CEL battery is very bulky and wont fit on some frames.----GET THE NI-CAD water bottle battery!!!! You must babysit the batttery(but it's really not THAT bad)

Bottom Line:
Lasted all winter long. I got them for a great price, new. High beam swich is super nice. This review is for the Ni-Cad battery.

I did all the research.......just buy it!!

I will update my review if theres any future problems.

Favorite Trail:   Screwball

Purchased At:   yellowjersey.org

Similar Products Used:   some stuff that was too cheap that and broke and some stuff that was insanly priced

Bike Setup:   Joker -XT -XTR -Spinergy...blah blah blah

Submitted by Fred Jimenez a Weekend Warrior from San Jose, CA, USA

Date Reviewed: July 6, 2001

Strengths:    bright lights, compact, easy to use

Bottom Line:
This light is as good as it gets. I've used the light for about a year without any problems. The dual beam setup lets you choose between 10, 20 or a combined 30 watts. This light is bright and can run about an hour on both beams or 3 on the low beam. I've used it to commute and trail rides. If you want a bright and reliable system, this is one to get.

Bike Setup:   Kona

Submitted by James Buckle a Weekend Warrior from Wigan, UK

Date Reviewed: September 17, 2000

Strengths:    BRIGHT!! Small, and simple to setup/use.

Weaknesses:    Could do with being able to adjust the direction of the high beam to point slightly further ahead.

Bottom Line:
Great product, lights up the trails like daylight, can reach the same speeds in the dark as in the day now! Only lasts 50 mins on High beam but 3 hours on low! You just get spoilled by the high beams' power and don't want to switch it off! Oh, and the little remote switch is too bulky to be attached to the handlebar, it seems to have been made to fit around a bar the same width as my top tube for some reason, never mind, it's not that bad- just a glith in the design.

Favorite Trail:   Any in the dark

Similar Products Used:   Cateye twins (32w i think)

Bike Setup:   Coyote FS, Z1 Drop-offs, XT.....

Submitted by John a Weekend Warrior from St. Petersburg, FL

Date Reviewed: April 27, 1999

Strengths:
Brightness and Reliability

Bottom Line:
I have had my Hilux 30 for 2 awsome years. I have had no problems with the light and I have taken it through the muddiest trails coming out with no problems. Looking over the other reviews its nice to know I am not the only one who thinks the Hilux 30 is a great light with the exception of the critic below. Sounds to me he is just trying to ruin the name of a good brand or maybe a marketing ploy by one of their competitors

2 Years

Nightsun

GT LTS

Submitted by Turk a cross-country rider from Atlanta

Date Reviewed: January 8, 1999

Bottom Line:

Well, you get what you pay for. The lights were just fine for what they were, but for the some wattage, Nightriders and Jets eclipse the performace of the Cygo (check out the light feet specs!). But the big problem was that the pack for the battery (mounts on the frame with velcro straps) basically disintegrated 48 hours after it was unpacked from the box, as if the thread and glue were made of paste. I almost lost the whole battery pack on a good bump. Thank god for the rubber bands in my backpack. Also, the namby-pamby scotch tape on the leads would probably degrade after a few muddy rides. I returned the light to REI, took a deep breath, and spent $100 more on a Nightrider system (although i'm lusting over a Jet dual beam)...probably the best decision i've made, at least this week.

Submitted by Patrick D. a weekend warrior from hastings, mn

Date Reviewed: November 25, 1998

Bottom Line:

I picked up this light set for under $50 with no batteries. I went to local Radio Shack and got some cheap ni-cads that I could recharge using the same recharger I charge all other household batteries in. Very cheap. The hook and loop battery bag wraps around the top tube with a strap going to the down tube. The ni-cads are fairly light in weight so the battery bag is not going to budge no matter how rocky the terrain. These lights give out plenty of power for pitch black in the woods riding. Carry some spare ni-cads, though. When they start going out, they go very fast. The aluminum case is awesome. In my opinion, the best quality and value out there for a 20w system. A vertical adjustment would be nice, but who needs more crap that can come loose while your riding.

Submitted by Mike Holovka a weekend warrior from Ravenna, MI

Date Reviewed: October 21, 1998

Bottom Line:

The Cygolite Hilux 30 is a great light for the money the 10watt beam is good for general trail riding even though they should run the bulb hotter and the 20 watt Hi beam controlled by a button easily accessed near the hand grip is great for fast downhills. Possible the best value for the money on the market

Submitted by Joe Scalet a weekend warrior from Olathe, KS

Date Reviewed: October 6, 1998

Bottom Line:

I found this light without the batteries for $40 at a bike shop. To power it I went to the local hobby shop and bought two 7.2 volt nicad packs that are used with rc race cars for $16 each. I wired them in series for 14.4 volts. I also purchased a rapid charger that charges these cells in 15 Minutes from my 12 volt car battery for $40. I shoved both packs into a wide mouth waterbottle, ran the power cable out though the spout and mounted it in a bottle rack. This gives me about 1 hour at full intensity and about 1.5 hours on low. The next thing I did was replace both lites with 20 watt bulbs for 40 watts, but thats another story. The lght rally helps on my nightly 10 miles throug the woods.

Submitted by Dave Bull a cross-country rider from North Bay, ON

Date Reviewed: June 13, 1998

Bottom Line:

These lights are great. The beam pattern is excellent. The 10 watt is plenty for a slow pace and when the speed picks up, just switch on the 20 watt and you have lots of light even on steep downhills. The only problem is my gel-cel battery is losing its zip. It may be my fault as I overcharged it once. I'm looking for a replacement. Can anyone help?

Submitted by christian turner a cross-country rider from Sydney, Australia

Date Reviewed: May 16, 1998

Bottom Line:

I love the system. This is my second system.
I have recently found a bracket that allows you to attach the dual light to your helmut. The only problem with this is that you dont get to use the neat switch that normally attaches to the handlebar for switching to flood beam.
I would also like to know where you can get extra/backup batteries, as I use the system for cycling to and from work in the winter months, and sometimes dont get time to charge the system in time. I tend to use the dual beam all the time (you just get spoilt by it and dont like switching back to the single beam).

Submitted by Garner of the Hill People a cross-country rider from Branson Mo

Date Reviewed: April 13, 1998

Bottom Line:

This is the only light I've used and it rules. On paper, it was a very good deal for a dual beam, 30 watt set up. The side to side swivel is nice but I don't think it's nearly as effective as an up and down swivel. Either way, it stays put and doesn't vibrate over rough terrain. The thumb-triggered high beam switch is easy to find without moving your hand when screaming down hill. The whole system is clean and easy to use. Goes on and off in thirty seconds. Only leaves a small bracket that would never be ripped off in a crash. Comes in three nifty colors for all of you 1994 ano-geeks still out there. I've had no problems so far and provides a good amount of usable light for rough terrain. It's also made in the USA, if you count California.

Submitted by Jeffrey Wiles a weekend warrior from Piqua Oh USA

Date Reviewed: March 25, 1998

Bottom Line:

Hi I want to find out if I can get a vackup batter for my lite's, and how much it is. it is the gel cell
I bought it at Parkers Sport Shop in Piqua Oh USA
The system is a few years old and I don't remember when I got them. How many times can you charge the battery? Do you have any oher lite system's?
I like the idea of being able to point the lite's, I think that the system needs a fuelgage .
Sincerly Jeffrey Wiles

Submitted by John Overocker a cross-country rider from Gainesville, FL

Date Reviewed: January 17, 1998

Bottom Line:

This light is Dual beam with a 10-watt low flood and a 20-watt high spot. Run time is 3 hours on low,
1.2 hours with both. Rechargable Gel-cell, or Nicad. Aluminum housing with quick-release mounted to
bar. The light produces a bright white area in front that allows good cornering and high speed. Low
cost for gel-cell around the $130 range. Excellent value for commuter and cross-country rider.