Specialized Afterburner Pro Taillight Lights

2.6/5 (10 Reviews)

• Designed for maximum power output and extended run times, the pro offers the ultimate in nighttime visibility.
  • Two ultra high output LED's with Specialized "Photon Funnel" lens system
  • Runs on two AAA batteries (included)
  • Four modes of operation: Steady, flashing and two alternating modes
  • Universal mounting bracket included
  • Extended run time: over 100 hours in flashing mode

• Review Options:  Sorted by Latest Review | Sort by Best Rating

Submitted by MC SAN ANDREAS a Downhiller from Chandler

Date Reviewed: March 29, 2009

Strengths:    nice light unit , selectable flash patterns

Weaknesses:    the screw on mount is to thin and broke at the retention nut

Bottom Line:
    It fit my bike great I either need to fab a new mount or bur another one ,, Bumma

Favorite Trail:   South mtn

Purchased At:   Supergo

Similar Products Used:   Cateye

Bike Setup:   San Andreas

Submitted by Kevin a Cross Country Rider from Hartford, CT, USA

Date Reviewed: May 29, 2004

Strengths:    Brightest red blinking light I've seen. Easy to turn on and off.

Weaknesses:    Mounting device stinks, but will fit mounts from other flashers/brands - use one of them.

Bottom Line:
    I rec. this light to EVERYONE that wants to be seen. I commute to work by bike virtually every day, year-round, regardless of weather, and it's been working flawlessly the whole time. Don't understand all of the poor reviews I've from other cyclists. Maybe it's b/c I have mine mounted on my helmet (for better visibility) which may reduce some of the shock it would otherwise get from a seat post or frame? I'm wondering when they will make a clear or amber lens so I can get one for the front of my bike!

Purchased At:   Newington Bike

Similar Products Used:   Vistalite, Bell

Bike Setup:   Trek 720

Submitted by Pablo a Weekend Warrior from Victoria, BC, Canada

Date Reviewed: October 11, 2003

Strengths:    While it worked, it kept me visible and kept me from getting killed.

Weaknesses:    Mounting bracket is absolute crap, light failed to work

Bottom Line:
    I can't believe Specialized it still selling this! I bought this light during my blind Specialized brand loyalty. When I first got it, it was great. Really bright and easy to mount. It has a mounting bracket with a belt-like strap that goes around your seat post, no tools required. However, after just a few weeks of use, the "belt buckle" on the strap ripped a hole from one loop to the next. I tried super glue and tape but nothing fixed it. So I duct-taped it on to the seat. A while later, when I dropped it from waist level, one of the lights stopped working permanently. It was then I decided to buy a CatEye. You can't go wrong when you buy Japanese. Remember that, son. Truly a race of superhumans. Hitler's dream is alive and well.

Similar Products Used:   Now I have a CatEye.

Bike Setup:   Rocky Mountain Vertex

Submitted by Andrew from Portland, Oregon, USA

Date Reviewed: June 5, 2003

Strengths:    Very Bright, Diverse flash modes, extensive battery life

Weaknesses:    Horrid mounting strap, both LEDs died within a week or so of each other

Bottom Line:
    I got this as a birthday gift in 2000 and was thrilled to see that someone finally gave up on the impossible to fit screw and bracket mounts. But, I soon realized, like every other writer in this segment, that the cruddy little strap that saved a few minutes would wind up being a hassle in just a few weeks. I managed to keep the strap together with frequent Scotch tape patchings but even those didn't last long. Just a few weeks ago, I was riding up a dark stretch of roadway with no streetlights and I followed my habit of checking up on the light's status. This had become especially important ever since the left LED had shorted, then blown out all together a few days earlier. I was shocked to see that the light had completely failed. I assumed it to be a dead battery and when I got home, I swapped batteries and it still didn't work. The other LED had also died. All in all, I'm not very satisfied and I am very happy with my replacement CatEye taillight with 3 LEDs.

Purchased At:   Gift

Similar Products Used:   CatEye Something or other

Bike Setup:   Gary Fisher Tassajara for urban use only

Submitted by Philip Buri a Weekend Warrior from Bellingham, Washington

Date Reviewed: May 16, 2003

Strengths:    It is bright and catches your eye

Weaknesses:    Terrible rubber strap that splits easily. Light is not waterproof and I gouge the housing each time I open it up to change batteries

Bottom Line:
    Very disappointing. I bought this light because my vista light fell off my back rack and never was quite the same.

Out of the box, the Afterburner Pro Taillight works great and looks cool. But then the design flaws kick in. To mount the light, I had to pull a rubber strap around my seatpost and fit a little plastic knob into one of the pre-made holes in the strap. Good enough. Over time, the rubber strap loses its stretch and even worse, the holes begin to split and turn into one big hole.

I discovered all this when I looked down one morning to see the lights flashing forward at my legs, not at the cars behind.

Can anyone make an inexpensive, bomb-proof taillight flasher?

Favorite Trail:   Around Lake Samish

Purchased At:   Burlington Cycles

Similar Products Used:   vista light flasher

Bike Setup:   Raleigh Technium modified for commuting.

Submitted by Dan a Cross Country Rider from Mercer Island, Washington

Date Reviewed: November 28, 2002

Strengths:    Very bright. Can be seen in a rain shower.

Weaknesses:    Very poor mounting system. Poor housing seal against water. I feel bad for the engineering group that had to sign off on the final design.

Bottom Line:
    Throw away the mount. Dig through the bag o' parts at your LBS to make one to fit your needs. Run a strip of electrical tape around the seam of the lens housing and battery housing to seal unit against rain. This light is excellent if you are a commuter that rides in screwball weather and are willing to modify an existing product to fit your needs.
    Bottom line: unless you REALLY need a bright rear light, don't buy this light, it is overpriced and poorly engineered. 1 chili for value. 4 chilis for product with aftermarket modification.

Purchased At:   greggs bicycles

Similar Products Used:   Vista 7 LED light. I'd still be using it if it were not for a wayward driver that crunched it.

Bike Setup:   Trek 8500 that has been modified to the bomb commuter bike.

Submitted by Glen a Weekend Warrior from Orlando, FL

Date Reviewed: May 13, 2002

Strengths:    This light is the brightest that I have found. It will almost blind the other riders behind you.

Weaknesses:    Horrible mounting system. I hope that Specialized will re-engineer the mount. Like the guy below I had to throw away the mount that came with the light and modify an older mount that I had.

Bottom Line:
    If it had a good mounting system then it would get five chili's, but it doesn't. However, it is so bright that you really stand out on the road which makes me feel a lot safer after dark.

If you want to be seen and can modify an old mount, then you need this light.

Similar Products Used:   Cateye and others

Bike Setup:   S-Works

Submitted by david a Weekend Warrior from portland, oregon

Date Reviewed: March 8, 2002

Strengths:    extremely bright, looks neat-o. well sealed against water.

Weaknesses:    TURRIBLE mounting system. i tried to get batterys for one of the smaller specialized tail lights i bought a few months ago, and when the HOT girly behind the counter realized that the entire mounting system and it didnt work right with the batteries they had, she GAVE ME this light. BRAND NEW. RIVER CITY BICYCLES IN PORTLAND OREGON OWNS ME NOW. i was floored by their excellent customer service.

PS-the mounting system sucks, which seriously affects its rating, which is too bad because the light itself is a really slick unit.

Bottom Line:
    great lite, awful mount.

River City Bicycles is a class act.

Favorite Trail:   mean streets