Sigma Sport Mirage X Lights

3.55/5 (33 Reviews)

Luminaries will begin to see

• 8000 Candlepower Halogen Front Beam
  • 20 Watt lamp with 60 LUX / 6000 candlepower and 5 Watt lamp with 20 LUX / 2000 candlepower
  • Latest in reflector technology - best light distribution
  • 5 Watt system burning time 3.5 hours
  • SIGMA SPORT 'click' mounting bracket
  • Completely water tight construction
  • Charge time of 5-6 hours
  • Lead acid battery & charger included
  • Adjustable cable length
  • All mounting is completely tool-free
  • On/off-switch can be mounted on handlebar near the grip
  • Comparable to motorcycle lighting performance

• Review Options:  Sorted by Latest Review | Sort by Best Rating

Submitted by James a Weekend Warrior from Bronx, NY

Date Reviewed: November 30, 2006

Strengths:    overall cost to output ratio...very good. With a few modifications you can increase the length of output.

Weaknesses:    Availability of parts for the Sigma Sport Dual Beam, not Evo X

Bottom Line:
    Just was looking through some of the posts and I see mine from 2 years ago, very cool!! I recently have tried to upgrade the product with a 20W MR11 bulb, it was a no go. The bulb was too hot and melted my MR11 interchange or wire board, now I am looking for a new one or something I can use as a wire board to connect the MR11. I thought of the ceramic connector but I am hesitant. Has anyone tried this?

The light still works great though and from the website the system is now called Evo and the EVO X, with battery the price climbs into the $100 + range, a far cry from the $50 I paid 2 years ago.

I am sure I did not burn the wires just the connector. If anyone has some spare parts for the Mirage please email me, would be interested in buying the 10W light or some of its parts. I don't know why but I am just hooked on this light system...

Purchased At:   Bike Nashbar

Bike Setup:   Gary Fisher

Submitted by John Knop a Racer from Roswell

Date Reviewed: August 18, 2006

Strengths:    Great Light using High Beam

Weaknesses:    Stupid charging system that will fry the battery because their is no overcharge protection.

Bottom Line:
    I followed everyone's recommendations and also went to Batterymart.com and purchased the 6V 12Ahr sealed lead-acid rechargable battery and charger for $32.00. My only recommendation is not to cut the wire in front of the battery but take the battery casing apart (small phillips head screwdriver)and keep the stock wiring and connections. The connections to the stock battery will slide right onto the new battery connections (F1) eliminating a trip to Radio Shack. I think the entire conversion took me about 10 minutes and most of that was zip tying the wire along my top tube to the rear saddle bag. This was much easier than I thought. With this heavier duty battery you can run the bright beam as much as you want. I gave the product 5's based on the value after conversion. Thanks for the tip!!!!!

Purchased At:   East Cobb Bicycle Outfitters (out of Business)

Submitted by Aidan de Lange a Cross Country Rider from Windhoek Namibia

Date Reviewed: May 19, 2006

Strengths:    neat setup and great starter pack.

Weaknesses:    for technical riding: not enough light.
    for 24hr endurance: not enough battery life.
    the promised 3,5 hr (5watt) is a long shot.

Bottom Line:
    Can you get HiD bulbs to suit this fine product.??
    for a 24hr event, unassisted, 6-8hr light (20watt) time is required.
    Any advice / help with this??

Favorite Trail:   Whk surrounds.

Purchased At:   local bike shop

Similar Products Used:   first set of lights purchased.

Bike Setup:   riding Kona King Kikapu `05.
    handle bar mount.

Submitted by David Taylor a Weekend Warrior from Richwood, WV

Date Reviewed: November 7, 2005

Strengths:    Bright light, option of 5w or 15w, or combination of both, easy mounting, easy to recharge while on bike.

Weaknesses:    Battery doesn't last long when using both light. I took the advice from other reviewers and purchased a better battery. This only cost me $23 for the battery and charger. Now I get 5 1/2 hrs of burn time using both lights.

Bottom Line:
    This is an awesome light for the money. Even with buying a better battery and changer I still only paid $83 for the entire setup. Yes the new battery is heavy (5 lbs), but I'm riding a 31 lb bikes. So it really doesn't bother me. This light gives a great view of the trail at night and the flood spreads out enough to give you some side vision as well. It mounts very easily either on the handlebars or with the stem mount.
    I would highly recommend following the instructions from the other reviews and getting a better battery. It's really not hard to wire up the new battery. Just print out and follow their instrution and you will have no problems. I bought a large seat bag to mount it on the bike and it works like a dream.

Favorite Trail:   Red Run

Purchased At:   Pricepoint.com

Bike Setup:   Not that it matters, but: 2004 Santa Cruz Heckler, 5th Element Coil, Fox V125RLC

Submitted by Mike Masail a Racer from Jordan Valley

Date Reviewed: September 14, 2005

Strengths:    Great light for road riding. I ride on rural roads mainly with a link of 5Km on a main road. I was using 2 Led front lights and found that I was given no respect buy motorists. With these lights other road users are not sure if I am a Tractor or motorbike so tend to give me more respect than they would normally give a bicycle. (The system is the new Evo + Evox pro. 5W flood and 10W spot beams with NiMh battery and smart charger) Run time using both lights is advertised at 1Hr but I get 1.5Hrs System weight is about 400gm. I can see well enough to ride at my day time speed and road signs and refelecors are visible for at least 500Mtrs. Fitting to the bike by means of the T bar is easy enough. Sigma were also kind enough tosend me extra mounting bands at no cost.

Weaknesses:    The beam of the 10W buld could be a little wider. I suspect that if used on trial riding the 10W would be better mounted on the helmet (that would require an extra battery.)

Bottom Line:
    I am delight with the lights. Could have gone for a more expensive system like the Topeak moonshine 3H but am glad I didnt this is more tahn enough for my needs. I am sure that in the future Sigma will offert a Lithium Iron Battery which will be lighter allow longer run times and thus more powerful lamps. The only reason I give this system 4 Chilis overall is because the 10W spot buld has a very narrow beam other wise it would have been 5 all round

Favorite Trail:   Road only

Purchased At:   Imperial Motors Tiberius

Similar Products Used:   Night rider ultra Fazor 5 leds + Cateye EL400 used together

Bike Setup:   Cannondale Caad 3 performance road

Submitted by JAC a Weekend Warrior from ottawa

Date Reviewed: May 2, 2005

Strengths:    compact. Overall - okay light

Weaknesses:    battery has memory

Bottom Line:
    okay for 2 hour rides, but no more. Like the 5W and 15W option. The 15W needs tape to hold the cable in place though. Buy duct tape.

Favorite Trail:   FP

Purchased At:   Pricepoint

Similar Products Used:   BLT

Bike Setup:   Rocky Blizzard, Oryx DD99, or Kona Stinky - depends which one is working the best

Submitted by Steve a Cross Country Rider from Colorado Springs

Date Reviewed: January 15, 2005

Strengths:    versatility, easy no tool mounting, can either be mounted using t-bar provided or directly to handlebars, 20w bulb is like riding in daylight.

Weaknesses:    using both bulbs only provides about 50 min of ride time, the instructions left me feeling like i was uninformed and not ready to use the product. Turns out the only real problem was figuring out the charge time 5 hrs according to the manufactures web site.

Bottom Line:
    I use this system for xc rides and it is a great light system for the price. On longer rides i use the 5w bulb for everything but the most technical sections. Doing this I have had up to 3 hrs of ride time, which is pretty good. On a steep technical down hill nothing else i have seen on the trail can beat the 20w bulb for illumination, its like riding in daylight. The only down side is it does not last very long ,but I've considered the need to manage my light usage as part of the "night ride" challenge. I plan on researching some of the other's suggestions about upgrading the battery, I also recently purchased a 10w helmet mount light (raptor from nite-hawk) to supplement the 5w bulb and aid in cornering.

Overal i feel this system is great for the price, It would be a perfect light for commuting but the 20w bulb allows the system to be used on trail rides also, just be selective where you use it.

Favorite Trail:   Rampart reservoir

Purchased At:   colorado cyclist

Similar Products Used:   borrowed lights, old c-cell battery op system, viewpoint

Bike Setup:   old bike- k2 hardtail, new bike Giant nrs2

Submitted by James Keller a Cross Country Rider from Illinois

Date Reviewed: December 17, 2004

Strengths:    Great price for a great light. New improved version uses a high power 10watt that is almost as bright and gives you twice the burn time. *****SIGMA NOW OFFERS A BATTERY UPGRADE. THE NEW NIPAK NICKEL METAL HYDRIDE IS FRAME MOUNT CLEARING UP THE BOTTLE CAGE ANS WEIGH A FRACTION OF THE LEAD ACID. ALSO COMES WITH A SMART CHARGER WITH INDICATOR LIGHTS AND TRICKLE CHARGE. CALL SIGMA FOR DETAILS(888)744-6277

Weaknesses:    The lead acid battery is heavy, but this is what keeps it at such an affordable price.

Bottom Line:
    Best price on a dual beam system. Sigma's warranty dept. is stellar! Buy 2

Favorite Trail:   Cedar lake Carbondale

Similar Products Used:   Marwi kamakazi

Bike Setup:   Tomac 98 special

Submitted by Tawni a Weekend Warrior from Palm Springs, CA

Date Reviewed: October 9, 2004

Strengths:    Great value for the money

Weaknesses:    Marginal battery capacity

Bottom Line:
    I bought these last x-mas as a present for my BF. For the price, I decided to by one for me, too!

We just use them for short, high intensity training rides at night. The light output is very good. The 20w Mirage X puts out an exceptionally bright, although relatively narrow, beam of white light.

While the battery performance is fine for our short rides, the capacity of the battery would be impractical for trail rides, as noted by others here.

I think this light set represents terrific value for the money. I didn't see anything else on the market at the time of purchase that provided 25 watts of lighting for $60.00.

Overall, we are very pleased with this product.

Purchased At:   Nashbar

Similar Products Used:   LED headlights (worthless)

Bike Setup:   Diamondback Apex "legacy" hardtail

Submitted by James a Weekend Warrior from Bronx, NY

Date Reviewed: September 21, 2004

Strengths:    Brightness, and intensity.

Weaknesses:    Lights seem to loose brightness unless in a very dark area.

Bottom Line:
    I had read alot of reviews for a lot of lights and the Sigma seemed to be the best for the dollar, even thjough most of the reviews were from people who had modified the product. I went for it and did the same thing, thanks to all that posted remedies, I upgraded the battery to the 6V 12Ah from battery.com also, it was very simple. I found a bag at a store that was able to be modified to fit in the arch of the bike, got some straps and it works very well. I am now looking to replace some of the lights to increase the output. I figure with the bigger battery I can sacrifce for a 30 watt or 40 watt system. The lights are very bright but I would like to push the envelope and there are some systems that give that output. Does anyone know what bulbs will fit in the Sigma? again thanks for all the input, it really worked and well.

Purchased At:   PricePoint.com

Bike Setup:   Gary Fisher Wahoo

Submitted by Billy Grimes a Cross Country Rider from Steamboat Springs, CO

Date Reviewed: June 26, 2004

Strengths:    Strong beam for the price

Weaknesses:    A little work (and more $) required to attain light's full potential

Bottom Line:
    I was very psyched about the output of this light at first, then I read these reviews and found out about the weak battery. I took the advice of several reviewers who recommended purchasing a new, stronger battery and wiring it to the light. I went to Batterymart.com and purchased the 6V 12Ahr sealed lead-acid rechargable battery and charger (with an indicator light showing when the battery is fully charged, and will not overcharge the battery-which the orignal lacked). The total purchase for this add on (new battery, charger, charger cord and shipping) was $32.00 which brought the total price to around $95.00 (still a killer deal). The burn time for this new system (at full power, with BOTH lights on) is over 4hrs (yes, I said 4hrs). The battery does weight 4.4lbs. which might make some of you weight conscious riders cringe, but you can always down grade to a 6-8Ahr battery and sacrifice some burn time. After all 4hrs is a long night ride. Using only the 5 watt light on climbs, this light would hold up for who knows how long. To do the upgrade, all you need to do is cut the wire right in front of the battery (or open the batttery pack and cut the wire inside to take advantage of the full length of wire which you don't need). Go to radio shack and buy either .187" (F1) or .250" (F2) insulated connectors depending on the hook-ups the new battery has- mine had F1 (they are 'female' and flat. Hook these to your cut wires and you are good to go all night. With a little extra effort, this system rocks.

Favorite Trail:   Fish Creek

Purchased At:   Pricepoint

Similar Products Used:   n/a

Bike Setup:   Santa Cruz Heckler/ Marzocchi DJ 1/ XT disc etc.

Submitted by Pierre Dalmas a Cross Country Rider from Black Mountain, NC

Date Reviewed: March 18, 2004

Strengths:    Low cost, great lighting, mounting clips

Weaknesses:    Underpowered battery, poor battery charger

Bottom Line:
    After using a reviewer's suggestion (Danny) and replacing the battery, this lighting system is super! Just as Danny suggested, I cut the original power cord and installed plugs, so that I can plug the charger into the battery without having to remove it from the bike. I also bought the Power-Sonic 6 Volt 12 Amp Hour battery and charger. The battery fits into a 32 capacity CD wallet case almost perfectly. After bending a standard bottle cage and using a Velcro strip, the battery attaches securely to the bike. The battery weighs 4.6 lbs. so I lost 5 lbs. off my gut in order to justify the extra weight. I can burn both lamps for over 2.5 hours. The replacement battery cost $10, the charger $35 and the CD case cost $7. The total cost of the system was $97. That is still a great deal.

Favorite Trail:   Kitsuma NC

Purchased At:   Performance Bicycle

Bike Setup:   Hard tail, Iron horse

Submitted by Ivan a Weekend Warrior from Zagreb, Croatia

Date Reviewed: January 1, 2004

Strengths:    Lightweight and tough. Excellent money/quality ratio. Great light performance for that money. Crashed once with them on bike, lamps fell apart but nothing was broken.

Weaknesses:    Too weak battery... Cable between Mirage 5w and battery, i have cut it and built in a connector, so i can take off battery without removing the main switch

Bottom Line:
    My Mirage (5W) now uses 7.2V 4.5Ah waterbottle battery (4hr run time)and is working at 7W. I have 2 Mirage X lamps which are powered by 6V 20Ah SLA battery (single 6hrs, both 3 hrs) but i am planning to make more powerful NiMH battery (7.2V, 21 or 28Ah) to increase light output (which would be, in that case, around 25W each, total of 57 watts) and decrease weight.

Purchased At:   CikloCentar

Similar Products Used:   2.5W halogen lights

Submitted by Niklas Ingvar-Nilsson a Racer from Sweden

Date Reviewed: January 1, 2004

Strengths:    Nice light, especially the 20W light. Not as broad lightbeam as Mila and Silva headlamps

Weaknesses:    Battery, it is a joke! But it can easily be changed to a 6V NiMH battery with much better capacity and lower weight. No smart charger inkluded!

Bottom Line:
    Nice lamps, allthough there is brighter light available on the market. The lightbeam could be wider, but it is quite OK.

I never tried it with original battery, because I imidiatly switched to 2 parralell coupeled Silva/Brunton 6V 9Ah batteries, which give me about 4 hours of full light (instead of 45 minutes). The batteries i have put i a batteri bag from the old Cateye daylight - works OK!

I cut of the battery cable just outside the battery and pit on a Moulex contact to fit the Silva/Brunton batteries.

Now i can ride in the dark untill I get tired, not unteil the battery gets tired... That is a fantastic experience in the dark part of the year in Sweden - especially together with a good helmet light from Silva/Brunton. This set up will be 5 chillis. With original set up only be about 1.5 chillis