Serfas TSL-1000 Lights

Produces over 1000 Lumens in Overdrive mode Ram Air Vent Cooling System Includes Helmet Mount and Battery Extension Cable Battery Low Indicator Water Resistant Tool Free installation UpTo 3.5 Hours Runtime in Overdrive Mode @ 1000 Lumens Weight: 180g (light body); 300g (battery case) 4 hour chargeTime

Submitted by bikerjohn64 a Cross Country Rider from Burlington, Ontario, Canada

Date Reviewed: February 12, 2012

Strengths:    Well machined aluminum battery housing; nice low-profile light head; carry pouch with segmented pockets; quick charging for lumen output;
Lifetime Warranty(except battery-1yr)

Weaknesses:    Nothing so far except the wire connecters. In cold(er) weather (<10 C) the connectors are very difficult to undo.

Bottom Line:
This Serfas light completely outdated my Niterider Storm H.I.D. with it's light output. Amazing coverage beam pattern. There are 3 LED lights with the centre LED output of 500 lumens and the 2 outer LED output of 250 each. Perfect light bar mount. The adjustable HB mount works very nicely and is adjustable up to 31.8mm handlebar. The quick release mount swivels horizontally in clicks and installation and removal of head is one-handed. The system also comes with a helmet mount that uses a quick release mount that is attached by means of a velcro belt. It has a vertical up and down adjustable mount by means of a screw knob. The wiring harness of this system comes in 3 parts. The light head(180 grams) has a lead around 6" long; the battery(300 grams) also has a lead around 6" long; the extension is approximately 36" long. This setup is long enough for me to run the light on my bar and my battery down by my bottom bracket with about 10-12" extra wiring. The battery unit is a rectangular unit and well made(aluminum). One side of the battery has a concave channel with a rubber pad along that is meant to rest against your frame tubing. It can also be stuffed into a backpack if worn on the helmet mount. The battery charger is nice and small with an indicator light that shows green when fully charged and is good for voltage 100-240v. The 5 light settings are over-drive(full power-1000 lumen); high(650 L); medium(350 L); low(175 L) and flashing(650 L). The on/off light switch on the light head glow blue when plugged with battery and nicely visible and is also a low battery indicator light. The run time per instruction is as follows for each respective output : 3.5hr; 6hr; 11hr; 21hr and 20hrs. The light head is aluminum and has air-flow channels to keep the head nice and cool. Overall for the price and quality; a great unit! A must for any 24 hour racers or anyone playing late at night....

Favorite Trail:   Any

Purchased At:   Cyclepath, Oakville

Similar Products Used:   Niterider Storm H.I.D. ; Niterider Digital Evolution

Bike Setup:   Giant NRS-1 XTR; Crossmax SL Disc Tubeless

Submitted by Craig Davidson a Racer from Heber City, UT

Date Reviewed: October 20, 2011

Strengths:    Well made, very bright, long batterie run time, and priced well

Weaknesses:    I have not found any yet.

Bottom Line:
My purchase of the Serfas 1000 light was a spontaneous buy. I was riding in the 17th annual 24 hours of Moab and Serfas had a display set with discounted pricing. I had been in the market for a good light, and wanted one reasonably priced, yet that I also could count on for years to come. The 1000 lumens, has three led lights giving a good center beam, as well as broadcasting well to both sides. Obviously LED with 1000 lumens is bright, an advertised run time of over 3 hours, a lifetime warranty, and competitive price, made the Serfas exactly what I was looking for.

It is not usually a good idea to use something new in a race, yet the Serfas looked to be well built, and I had confidence it would not let me down. Shortly after setting out on the course, I knew I had made a good purchase. The light broadcast a wide even beam, along with the use of my helmet light gave me a very clear field of view, instilling the confidence to hammer it on a challenging course like Behind The Rock. This course has everything to test any product, and clearly, by the number of broken bikes in the makeshift maintenance tent it is unrelenting to those that are less than quality. Long technical climbs, demanding boulder strewn descents, with fast double track dumping you into punishing washes where all you can do is hold on to your bike. A couple of laps giving bike and light plenty of thrashing, my new light looked and functioned no worse for the wear.

Obviously, from my description, it is clear I am happy with my Sefas 1000. Honestly, I am the type who makes a purchase and looks for faults. So far after several rides I have not found any. I will be purchasing one of there smaller lights for my helmet.

Favorite Trail:   The one I am riding