Princeton Tec Switchback 1 Lights

• Cable Straps

• Review Options:  Sorted by Latest Review | Sort by Best Rating

Submitted by Mr. Jewannaman a Weekend Warrior from Billings, Montana

Date Reviewed: August 16, 2010

Strengths:    Great light and durable.

Bottom Line:
    The bottom line has to do more with the company than the product. I think Princeton Tec makes some great stuff, but I don't trust a company that makes you jump through hoops in order just to find out some basic contact information such as telephone number and physical address in case I have a problem with my product - which I do. So, they get an F for being very consumer unfriendly. I don't get it? Anybody care to help? Better yet, anyone from Princeton Tec care to share this information - or will you get strung up by a headlamp, have a spotlight shown on you in a compromising position and forced to do unseemly things? In the meantime, I have a product that needs servicing from your lifetime warranty. Lame.

Mr. Jewannaman

Favorite Trail:   Stairway To Heaven

Purchased At:   Retail Store

Submitted by bob a Cross Country Rider from Japan

Date Reviewed: March 25, 2009

Strengths:    Great package, well made, all possible ++ features included, simple to mount, looks good, bright on high and battery lasts 4 plus hours.
    I was impressed with the packaging and mounting system - strong and simple.

Weaknesses:    Could always be brighter, but then thats why they have the Switchback 2 and 3, but I prefer the lighter weight of the 1.

Bottom Line:
    Dump the flashing lights and move up to the real thing.

Favorite Trail:   Tervuren Park

Purchased At:   amazon

Similar Products Used:   Small Cat eye

Bike Setup:   Scott Scale 40

Submitted by tonyride1 a Cross Country Rider from Piscataway, NJ

Date Reviewed: January 3, 2009

Strengths:    Size, long burn time, quick charger, price, car charger.

Weaknesses:    Didn't find any yet.

Bottom Line:
    I just got it yesterday so I decided to test it out before using it on a night ride. I fully charged it as per instructions and then turn the light on to the highest setting. I read Daniel's experience with the battery and charger so I wanted to make sure I didn't get what he got. So after it was fully charged 4 hours later (initial charge takes 3-4 hours. After that it only takes 2 hours to fully charge the battery) I turned the light on and timed it. It is suppose to burn for 4.5 hours in the brightest setting. After 5 hours of still burning I shut it off as I didn't want to do any damage the battery by over draining it. So far it has exceeded my expectations but that was just in the house. I will follow up with another review after I take it out for a nice long ride or two and see how long a charge lasts on the trails. I'm giving it 4 flamin chilis for now. If the light holds up after the ride then I will rate it accordingly. Oh, it comes with both helmet and handle bar mount. I already have a handle bar mounted light so I will be using this as my helmet light.

Favorite Trail:   Mahlon, Kittatinny, Allamuchy, Six-Mile, Hartshorne

Purchased At:   Chainlove.com

Similar Products Used:   Niterider Headtrip

Bike Setup:   2008 Giant Trance X1. Pretty much stock with Thomson seatpost with set back.

Submitted by Daniel Boice a Cross Country Rider from Dyersville, Iowa, US

Date Reviewed: November 20, 2008

Strengths:    Small, ability to charge from car

Weaknesses:    Battery would not hold a charge, so that by the time I needed it, it was dead. Exchanged, and the second battery's outlet was defective, so could not charge at all. I finally gave up and ordered another product.

Bottom Line:
    It's probably a very fine light, but I got two defective batteries in a row. After the first one, the Princeton Tec support e-mailed (no telephone number for help) that it happens. No response to e-mail about the second one, so I'd rate the support pretty lame. I wasted a lot of time just trying to get a light that worked.

Favorite Trail:   Closed by summer floods

Purchased At:   Performance

Similar Products Used:   Planet Bike

Bike Setup:   LeMond 'cross

Submitted by Ryan a Weekend Warrior from Indiana!

Date Reviewed: March 17, 2008

Strengths:    Bright, long burn time, small battery pack, Lithium Ion w/smart charger. All accessories are included, even adapters for euro/12V auto are included. Works great for night commuting and non-technical night trail riding. Mount is very sturdy and has survived some abuse without cracking.

Weaknesses:    Not quite as good as the sun.

Bottom Line:
    I will definitely be buying the Switchback 3 when I find a deal on it. In terms of trail riding, this light rocks as a helmet light when paired with a brighter handlebar light. It is sufficient for non-technical trails/bike paths. For commuting, I have no problem confidently riding 35 mph (downhill, of course) in otherwise darkness. The handlebar mount has a quick release which makes removal a breeze. The setup is quite light compared to NiMH systems. Burn times are true to advertised claims, and with a Switchback 3, adventure racing without changing batteries seems do-able. This is one of the most well thought out devices I've ever bought.

Purchased At:   eBay

Similar Products Used:   Cateye blinkies and some other non Li-ion lights.

Bike Setup:   Trek hardtail with Deore/LX throughout and RockShox Tora 318 Solo Air

Submitted by Bob R. a Cross Country Rider from Jersey Shore

Date Reviewed: December 26, 2007

Strengths:    4 Modes of burn, high mode lasts 4.5hrs, med lasts 6hrs, handlebar and helmet mount, long cords, car charger

Weaknesses:    Product manual comes on DVD instead of hard copy (I'm being real picky here)

Bottom Line:
    Myself and my racing partner have used this since Summer 07 24hr mtb race. The lighting system is awesome, I highly recommend. If I could do over, I would buy two of these instead of the much more expensive L&M Arc, which is a litter better but 2x the price. Car charger is nice, and simple setup.
    Bottom line: you could ride challenging singletrack at night no problem with this system. I have not tried the Switchback 2 or 3, which are more expensive models. You could easily use this as your night riding light all year.

Favorite Trail:   Allamuchy