Princeton Tec EOS Bike Lights

Eos bike features a Maxbright Rebel LED and a PrincetonTec-designed collimatorTo maximizeThe beam by balancing long-throw with localized lighting.The self-contained unit feels virtually weightless and makesThe ultimate backup light for your 24-hour races. Includes helmet, handlebar and headlamp attachments Batteries included 50 lumens 120 hour runTime 1 Maxbright Rebel LED

Submitted by EPeff a Cross Country Rider from Austin, TX, USA

Date Reviewed: June 22, 2011

Strengths:    - Brightness (70 lumens).
- Visibility (you can be seen by cars/etc).
- Battery Life (121 hours).
- Simple Operation (high, medium, low, flash, off).
- Durable.
- WaterPROOF up to 9 feet.
Mounting Options (includes helmet, handle bar and headlamp attachments).
- Simple Batteries (3 AAs, and can use rechargable AAs).
- Made by a reliable company with proven track record in portable lighting.
- Looks badass in my opinion.
- Comes in black.

Weaknesses:    If I were to be really picky, it's shaped more like a golf ball and less like an iPhone, ya follow? More compact rather than long/flat. So when I get off my bike and pop it in my pocket downtown, it leaves a bulge in my front jeans pocket. That's stretching it though, can't really think of any other weaknesses.

Bottom Line:
The best household-battery-powered handlebar-mounted commuter/town light I ever used.

I use this light on the handlebars on my SURLY Cross Check that I use for cruising around the streets and bike paths of Austin, and it's perfect for what I need it for. To be seen, and to actually be able to see (more than other similar products that I've used).

Every time I buy the bike lights at the bike shop it's because I just bought a new or used bike, and I want to ride it that night, so I just grab a pair of Cat Eyes, whatever else that shop carries, whatever seems the best in the shop, etc. This time I did some research reading through multiple online reviews and sources, and discovered the Princeton Tec EOS bike light... damn happy I did.

Riding through the city streets of Austin tonight, a car on the opposite side of a green light I approached, waited for me to go through the intersection rather than turning left into me. They saw me. They waited to turn allowing me to pass straight through. I didn't die. This light makes cars see you. Enough said.

Now here's the kicker... we have bike paths here in the city as well, and this one I was riding tonight in particular is gravely, rocky, with small 3" drop offs when it goes from concrete path to gravel path. I was riding my normal casual day-time bike path speed (maybe 10mph) on the trail tonight in full darkness, with the Blinkey mode on (admittedly, the Blinkey mode is a tad slow), and for the first time using a little front bike light, I could actually see the bike path, and know when one of those 3" drop offs was coming up, I could see broken glass, or a 4" rock, etc, etc. It wasn't perfect, but it was way more than I ever expected from a "be seen light". I could see objects/rocks/obstacles in the path ahead, and then it took me about 4 seconds to be up on the obstacles, so the distance/brightness gives you plenty of time to react. I have never been able to see these type of obstacles at night with my Cat Eye lights. If you put this light on High I'm sure the visibility would be no problem at all, but I'd rather save my batteries with the Blinkey mode.

Plus, it's waterPROOF (up to 9 feet) if that matters where you live. We don't get much rain at all here in Austin, but on the random times I'll get caught in a rainstorm, I don't need to worry about my front light frying on me.

I'm won over by this product. I'm actually an Industrial Designer, and in my professional opinion, generally speaking, I wish there were more products out there that worked so well, and delivered so well bang to buck ratio wise.

Purchased At:   REI Downtown Austin

Similar Products Used:   Cat Eye EL-130 / EL-135

Bike Setup:   SURLY Cross Check, black on black, with Fenders, Flask cage, On-One Midge bars, BB7 front disc brake, rear cantilever brake, SPD/platform pedals, Planet Bike Superflash Stealth rear light, some reflective 3M Scotchlite tape for extra visibility (black), 16T Surly singlespeed cog, Sugino cranks, blah blah blah

Submitted by twild a Cross Country Rider from Fort Collins

Date Reviewed: December 8, 2010

Strengths:    Good enough light to see plus be seen

Weaknesses:    now I have to buy rechargeable AAA's

Bottom Line:
I commute on unlit concrete bike paths. I can see! Unlike my last LED headlight that barely distinguished path from not path, I can now actually see the path, cracks and all. Light enough to go on helmet. Two weeks commuting in the dark and hasn't needed a charge yet. Was not expecting this much light from a cheapy.
I use this helmet mounted so can't comment on handlebar mount.
I have not tried this off road.

Favorite Trail:   Blue Sky

Purchased At:   REI

Submitted by Ericmopar a Cross Country Rider from Nevada

Date Reviewed: November 16, 2009

Strengths:    Puts out a wide beam.
Water resistant housing.
Comes with helmet, head lamp, and handle bar mounts included.

Weaknesses:    It doesn't put out enough light for biking, except on high beam.
Low and medium are almost useless.

Bottom Line:
The EOS has a good light intensity and beam pattern for use as a head lamp during hiking, which makes sense, since that is the light's origins.
It however performs dismally as a bike's headlight.
The only time it put out an adequate beam for riding was on high, but the battery life is very short on high.

I would only recommend this light to someone that hikes, or rock climbs etc, as their primary sports. Then they could use this light as a backup on their bike in an emergency.

As a bike light, there are much better choices out there.

I'm giving it a 3 for value because it does come with three styles of mounts for other sports, and it does have a quality build.
I'm giving it a 2 as a bike light, although it does well for other sports that it was originally designed for.

Favorite Trail:   Cottonwood.

Purchased At:   REI

Similar Products Used:   Cateye.
Planet Bike Blaze 1wt.

Princeton Tec EOS Bike and Swerve Light Review

Hey there fellow commuters. I just finished up a review of the Princeton Tec EOS Bike and Swerve Lights. It is posted over on RoadbikeReview.com: [URL="http://reviews.roadbikereview.com/blog/princeton-tec-eos-bike-and-swerve-lights-review/"]here[/URL] Here is a little movie review - for more ... Read More »