Planet Bike Superflash Tail Light Lights

3.73/5 (11 Reviews)

Unique, eye-catching flash pattern with ultra compact vertical design is weatherproof, lightweight and durable. “SuperFlash” mode is highly visible, even in daylight

Submitted by Andrew

Date Reviewed: October 3, 2012

Strengths:    super bright, comes with two mounts, i love the flash mode.

Weaknesses:    not water tight.

Bottom Line:
I was excited to finally get out for a night ride and use my new tail light. As soon as I left work it started raining pretty hard, 16 miles later the sucker is still flashing bright as can be. I have it mounted on one of my seat stays and I have no doubt every car on the rode me saw tonight, I definitely feel safer with this little guy. It's super bright. But after I made it home I realized there was water inside the light, I left it on the table for a few minutes and it turned on by itself. After drying it out it still works perfectly. I sealed it with a long strip of electrical tape. We'll see the next time I'm caught in the rain if the tape works! Buy this light, and throw some electrical tape on it. So good for the price.

Purchased At:   Performance

Submitted by mtbfroggy a Cross Country Rider from Philadelphia, PA USA

Date Reviewed: March 29, 2010

Strengths:    Very visible in blinking mode, as was mentioned in a review in Bicycling magazine. I wanted it for commuting at dusk.

Weaknesses:    ...but all that brightness is worth nothing when the light doesn't work. The seal is not watertight, and once it gets wet, even if you dry it out, it will randomly stop working on future rides. I bought another one to give it another chance, this time covering the gaps with duct tape, but same deal. A co-worker bought one at REI and found the same problem.

Bottom Line:
It's crap. I'm looking for something else, will try Princeton first, as I know they have good quality lights.

Favorite Trail:   Wissahickon

Purchased At:   online

Similar Products Used:   Many

Bike Setup:   I have used it on both road and mountain bikes.

Submitted by Akeldama a Weekend Warrior from Boise, ID, USA

Date Reviewed: July 28, 2009

Strengths:    Incredibly bright, simple and functional design, great battery life, and who cannot afford $20 for a device that might save your life.

Weaknesses:    None.

Bottom Line:
This taillight is amazing. It is easily visible even at high noon in the summer. Hit the button once and it blinks spastically. Hit it once more, and it turns solid on. Once more and it turns off. Easy. I haven't really gotten it wet yet (other than riding through a puddle or two) so I can't comment on its weather resistance. But it has never fallen off my bike (and I have given it every opportunity) despite the easy quick-release tab, so it can take a hit.

Drop the $20 and buy this thing. It is worth every penny.

Favorite Trail:   Grand Targhee

Purchased At:   REI

Bike Setup:   KHS FXT Trail.

Submitted by sk8dad a Cross Country Rider from Fremont, CA

Date Reviewed: March 2, 2009

Strengths:    Granted I only paid $5 for it, but would've gladly paid full retail. This thing is BRIGHT! If you've ever had the misfortune to test it by looking directly at it, be warned. You'll be seeing a little red target for about 10 minutes. The flash pattern is very attention getting and resembles emergency vehicles.

Weaknesses:    the clip is a tad lose, but that's minor. Doesn't have as many flash modes as some others, but who needs all those anyway?

Bottom Line:
The whole point of tail lights is to get noticed, and this light does that with flying colors. In fact the first time I saw this light as a driver, I thought it was from some emergency vehicle from a distance of about 1/2 mile! The flash pattern (2 bright, 2 week) is very similar to police and ambulance wigwags and is very urgent which is what you want. By contrast, my Cat eye has 5 flash modes which I find mostly useless anyway.

Favorite Trail:   Skeggs Point

Similar Products Used:   Cateye, Niterider, Specialized

Bike Setup:   Specialized Stumpjumper FSR

Submitted by bullschuck a Cross Country Rider from NRH, TX, USA

Date Reviewed: January 14, 2009

Strengths:    Oh so bright
Batts lasts forever
Mounts on seatstay or seatpost

Weaknesses:    When batts go bad, light goes south quick
Still not as bright as a Dinotte

Bottom Line:
Really bright. I have had comments from drivers during the day about how bright it is. I've used it for over two years and changed batts once and I use it on every commute. I even left it on one day. Batts in the Vetta died in one month. I think I need three or four more of these. I really like the seatstay mount because I have a big seat bag.

Favorite Trail:   whatever is in front of me

Similar Products Used:   Dinotte
Vetta

Bike Setup:   Roadie - Leader 717 w/ Ultegra-DA gruppo and Velocity Deep-V rims.

Submitted by ROAD WARRIOR a Cross Country Rider from Bastian, VA, USA

Date Reviewed: December 25, 2008

Strengths:    Bright, eye catching, small, light weight, and easy to mount

Weaknesses:    Hven't used it in the rain yet. If waters a issue, a little electrial tape should solve the problem.

Bottom Line:
This summer I was driving in Colorado at dawn when about a mile away I could just see a blinking light, at 3/4 mile I decided it was a car on the sholder with a turn signal on, At 1/2 mile I decided it was a car driving slowly with only a turn signal working. At 1/4 mile away I was slowing down so I could get a good look at the light on the rear of the bicycle. Ordered one the next day. They may not see you but they see the light.

Favorite Trail:   Gooseberry Mesa

Purchased At:   performance

Similar Products Used:   Anything that made light

Bike Setup:   Stumpjumper, Full XTR

Submitted by Eclectus a Weekend Warrior from Wichita, Kansas

Date Reviewed: October 28, 2008

Strengths:    Brightest out there for under 20 bucks

Weaknesses:    Not bright enough to convince drivers to change lanes consistently in daytime.

Bottom Line:
The Blinky represents what EVERY manufacturer should be offering in their low-cost lineup.

But to really get cell-talking drivers' attention, the DiNotte 400L run in strobe mode is in a different universe. For example, in morning and afternoon rush hour traffic, I've seen (in my mirror) cars move left when they were 100-200 yards behind me, while drivers trying to stay in the right lane and pass me with 12 inches between us have really dropped off, relative to the frequency this occurred with the Blinky. I still keep the Blinky ready as a backup.

The Blinky run in flashing mode is excellent for night riding, which is its design purpose. But daytime lighting, if powerful enough, is a great safety device, and only DiNotte 400L and 140L, excepting perhaps the new Exposure rear LED, do this job satisfactorily. (BTW, for night group riding, you have to turn the 400L to low-constant, unless you're in the rear.)

Favorite Trail:   Tomahawk Creek

Purchased At:   online somewhere

Similar Products Used:   Some Trek model at LBS. Was low-output junk

Bike Setup:   Specialized 97 stumpie, stock LX version, except Salsa gordo rear wheel (I weigh 240) and DT Swiss 5.20 w/ XT disc hub front, magura laurin 130 fork, avid juicy 5 front, retro-70s BMX bar, DiNotte 800L&400L light kit, monkeyelectric LED lightshow (really fun)

Submitted by metalhalide a Cross Country Rider from Creve Coeur

Date Reviewed: October 11, 2008

Strengths:    As stated previously, extremely bright.

Weaknesses:    This is an update of my prev. review. After the second of two rainy rides, the light was stuck on continuous. When I tried to switch to blink, it wouldn't turn back on. Very serious flaw when you are riding in traffic in a downpour at night.

Bottom Line:
Planet bike advertises this light as weatherproof on their website. It is not. As a band-aid, users may want to use a rear fender and/or seal the device with electricians' tape. I am now eating my previous words and have let my wife and brother know of this serious flaw. I will keep using the light b/c no other blinker is as bright.

Submitted by albertm a Weekend Warrior from Seattle, WA. USA

Date Reviewed: September 17, 2008

Strengths:    Small size, very bright

Weaknesses:    Poor waterproofing

Bottom Line:
I use this light on my commuter bike. I like the fact that its extremely bright - the only tail light I've found that is brighter is my Dinotte.

However the light shorted out during a rain storm, leaving me with no functional tail light. I've since talked to 3 other riders who had similar experiences.

After the light dried out it started working again - so what I do now is seal the light with electrical tape after changing out batteries. While a pain in the neck it works.

Favorite Trail:   Interurban

Purchased At:   don't remember

Similar Products Used:   Dinotte tail light

Bike Setup:   Commuter bike

Submitted by metalhalide a Cross Country Rider from Creve Coeur, MO, USA

Date Reviewed: September 12, 2008

Strengths:    Planet Bike quality. Good quality/price ratio, but would be great regardless of price. Popular flasher with a good track record. Shockingly bright. Leaves an afterimage after you turn away. At night, looks like a police flasher from a distance. Lightweight. Battery economy. Can use Maha Powerex or Sanyo NiMH rechargeables so you know it is maximally bright every time you go out.

Weaknesses:    Looks dweeby on my Scott CR1 Pro, but that's my choice to mount it.

Bottom Line:
I have a 34 mile round trip commute and the light (along with my Light and Motion HID) has probably saved my skin more than once. Highly recommended. I own two and bought another for my wife. Bought another for my brother for commuting, too.

Purchased At:   REI

Similar Products Used:   1990's Trek LED taillight. Ruined by neglect and corroded batteries.

Bike Setup:   Stock Scott CR1 Pro (Ultegra, Ksyrium Elites).
1983 Guerciotti (Campagnolo Record, Suntour Superbe Pro brakes, Phil Wood hubs and bottom bracket)Expert restoration advice from Greg at Bicycle Classics

Submitted by emsmedic1 a Weekend Warrior from Flushing, NY

Date Reviewed: August 25, 2008

Strengths:    Low price, Very brite, Can see it from far far away.Easy to take on and off.

Weaknesses:    Very little installation options. The on and off buttom could be designed better.

Bottom Line:
It's a Very nice lite for the price. If you have space on your seat post to install it, then you would not have any problems, but if you don't you might have to come up with a more creative approch for installations.

Favorite Trail:   none