Planet Bike Superflash Stealth Lights

4.4/5 (5 Reviews)

The SuperFlash mode on the Planet Bike Blinky Superflash Taillight is so visible, motorists can even spot it in the daylight. Two eXtreme LEDs match up with a ?-watt Blaze LED for up-to-one-mile-away brightness while you ride. The weatherproof vertical design won?t wimp out when the clouds start spitting on your night adventure, and included bike mounts plus a clip mount provide options for commuting and training rides. Choose between the flashing and steady modes.

Submitted by Mtbfroggy a Cross Country Rider from Philadelphia, PA, USA

Date Reviewed: July 17, 2011

Strengths:    Inexpensive, bright, different flashing modes are good

Weaknesses:    Forget about riding in wet conditions with this light, the seal is not sufficient; the on-off switch gave out on all three of the units I bought; excessive bumps cause the light to switch among flashing modes. Since this happened with three of them (two bought at the same time, third bought later), I'll bet the other folks who've given these lights a favorable review will have a different tune once they've used them more.

Bottom Line:
While each of them worked, they were great! But that didn't last...I need a rear blinky that Doesn't Suck, so I'm looking at reviews!

Favorite Trail:   Wissahickon

Purchased At:   Performance Bike

Similar Products Used:   Don't recall brand

Bike Setup:   My commuter is a Schwinn hardtail fit for mostly road riding (some gravel road); just got disc brakes for it. Ride summer and winter.

Submitted by EPeff a Cross Country Rider from Austin, TX, USA

Date Reviewed: June 22, 2011

Strengths:    Brightness.
Battery life.
Brightness.
Battery life.

Weaknesses:    None that I've found.

Bottom Line:
This is the best bike tail light you can buy, period.

I use this tail light on my SURLY Cross Check that I use for cruising around the streets and bike paths of Austin, and it's perfect for what I need it for. To be seen.

You can get it for $25 online or $30 at a LBS (support your LBS, cmon).

Very bright, you can be seen from a long distance away. The battery life is excellent. Uses simple batteries, and can use rechargeables too.

The Planet Bike Superflash is the best. I opted for the "Stealth" model since my bike is all black, I didn't want a piece of white plastic sticking out like a sore thumb, but I'm picky. I'd also look into the other Superflash models they have too, as the Turbo is even brighter.

Excellent product.

Purchased At:   Bicycle Sport Shop i

Similar Products Used:   Cat Eye TL-LD150

Bike Setup:   SURLY Cross Check, black on black, with Fenders, Flask cage, On-One Midge bars, BB7 front disc brake, rear cantilever brake, SPD/platform pedals, Planet Bike Superflash Stealth rear light, some reflective 3M Scotchlite tape for extra visibility (black), 16T Surly singlespeed cog, Sugino cranks, blah blah blah

Submitted by Jim dandy a Cross Country Rider from Harwinton

Date Reviewed: October 20, 2010

Strengths:    Compact,adjustable,very bright.

Weaknesses:    Over very bumpy roads the pivot adjustment may allow the light to tip downward. This being said, I would and have purchased a second light due to it's excellent performance

Bottom Line:
A must for road riding, flash mode provides for excellent visibility from rearward approaching vehicles.

Purchased At:   Bennidorm

Similar Products Used:   Planet bike front light.

Bike Setup:   Cannondale road.

Submitted by emraldgtr1 a Weekend Warrior from Chicago, IL U.S.A.

Date Reviewed: October 5, 2010

Strengths:    Bright, looks good, easy installation.

Weaknesses:    Power button.

Bottom Line:
This product is really bright with the 3 LED lights. Push the button once for steady, twice for flash (blink), 3 times for off. It is really easy to install. A buddy of mine has the same tailight. I've road behind him in the road and trail and definitely makes you noticeable to other cyclists and drivers. The only downfall I've noticed is the power button which is quite difficult to push. It appears that the button may easily wear over time. Overall a great tailight for a great price. Purchase it, you won't regret it.

Favorite Trail:   North Branch

Purchased At:   eBay

Similar Products Used:   Planet Bike Superflash (original)

Bike Setup:   2003 Specialized Hardrock Cr-Mo: Build up in progress...

Submitted by Econoline a Cross Country Rider from Ventura, CA

Date Reviewed: April 12, 2010

Strengths:    Inexpensive, VERY bright, good mounting hardware included, from a standup company (Planet Bike donates 25% of profits to bicycle advocacy)

Weaknesses:    none yet

Bottom Line:
I wanted another tail light to run on the SS or beach cruiser for night ops and heard good things about the Planet Bike Superflash. Didn't know the difference between the Superflash and Superflash Stealth but researched it some. The plain SF appears to use white LED's within a red lens. The Stealth model uses red LED's within a clear lens. Both models will appear as red, but I've read reports that the Stealth is noticeably brighter although I cannot confirm that.

Bottom line: More than bright enough. Time will tell as to durability.

Purchased At:   eBay