Planet Bike Blaze Lights

3.71/5 (7 Reviews)

When you bike to your friend's house or home from work after dark, use Planet Bike's Blaze 1/2 watt Headlight and Superflash Taillight to help ensure motorists and other cyclists see you from as much as a mile away. The Blaze Headlight illuminates the road during your low- to moderate-speed commute, and the Superflash's unique flash pattern warns anyone coming up behind you that you're there.

Submitted by Matt G a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: November 24, 2013

Strengths:    Bright. Light-weight. Convenient to use as a flashlight. Easy to remove from mount. Mount can detach from bars without tools.

Weaknesses:    Not incredibly rugged. After 3 years of near constant use the front lens housing has separated from the body. Now requires duct tape to function. Battery life is OK. Bottom channels that snap onto the mount are a bit thin and prone to breaking.

Bottom Line:
For the money the light has added a huge safety factor to my night riding in urban settings. Bright setting is hard to miss and flash is good for extra viz. Will be looking to get a brighter light that is rechargeable in the future.

Favorite Trail:   Brooklyn has more bumps than the woods

Duration Product Used:   3+ years

Bike Setup:   Fixed gear

Submitted by iamsecond.com a Weekend Warrior from Medina, Ohio

Date Reviewed: May 16, 2011

Strengths:    I just Bought this headlight today at Centry Cycles in Medina,Ohio. My first night time test run i hope is to be tomorrow night coming back from Medina Community Church.

Weaknesses:    I cant believe i had to Pay $95.00 Plus tax for the Head light and tail light. I guess the staff at Centry cycles were right about this product its the number one light product on the line. I guess if you want people to see you at night then you might be better off buying this light.

Bottom Line:
If you want Motorist to see you at night the best thing is to wear a Bright jacket that has reflectors, as well as a safety vest that people can see you. As well you can not forget about the Bright head light and tail light.

Purchased At:   Centry Cycles in Med

Similar Products Used:   I never used a Product like this one before it will be interesting to see if it really works.

Bike Setup:   My bike is set up with one Bell LED light a normal LED steady light and a Normal LED flashing light.

Submitted by WillyK a Weekend Warrior from Winnipeg, CANADA

Date Reviewed: May 6, 2010

Strengths:    Blinking strobe effect facing on-coming traffic is awesome

Weaknesses:    Too soon a period to determine.

Bottom Line:
I was driving (yes in my van) mid-day about 1 week ago in a pouring rain and I saw this cyclist coming towards me from about a good block away. I was so impressed I stopped to ask if I could look at their light. The strobe effect is certainly an eye-catcher and as a driver you have to be pretty out of it if you fail to see it. As they say, I was so impressed I went out and bought the light. Not a bad price, $34 at my local Mountain Equipment Co-op (MEC). A bit pricier than some lights, but also a lot less than some of those super lights out there. The MEC had a number of lesser $ lights setup and this was certainly the brightest. And besides, what price do YOU put on safety?

I've tried it as a single night light on the well packed flat unlighted dirt trails around my home. On the brightest setting it certainly is bright enough to see where you are going with a fair margin of safety. I feel more comfortable with the brightest setting though. People, dogs and other animals on the trail are seen well before you get to them, and believe me from what they've said they certainly see me coming. Beam is somewhat narrow. I wouldn't use it to careen high speed downhill in the dark, but for MY needs as a casual "get out and ride around the flat trails and walking/bike paths in the dark" it is fine.

Found I wasn't happy with the clamp on my bare handle-bars so I put a strip of rubber (the MEC folks gave me some from their spare parts box). Probably a couple of wraps of electricians tape would do the same. I found that on the bare handlebar while it seemed snug enough it could be rotated with some effort. This might be a good thing for those who want to tweak the direction of the lamp as they ride, but once I get it pointed where I think it is optimum, I want it to stay there.

Time will tell how battery hungry the unit is. But I liked the Planet Bike product so much I also went out and replaced my old 3-LED flasher tailight with the Planet Bike LED SuperFlash.

So, in short, if you want a superbright light for careening around in the dark, probably not. But if you want a light that will let you see in the dark where you're going on undemanding paths AND/OR a light that will give great visibility of your presence to vehicles out there, I think it's a good bet. I recommend it, and in fact once I see how it is in the battery consumption arena, I may just go out and get another one (I just love a dual light setup).

Thanks.

... Bill

Favorite Trail:   yet to find it...

Purchased At:   MEC

Similar Products Used:   None.

Bike Setup:   Gary Fisher Mtn, non-suspension

Submitted by Rufudufus a Cross Country Rider from Corvallis, OR

Date Reviewed: March 11, 2010

Strengths:    Flasher, battery life, pretty bright and reasonably compact.
Mount can easily be moved from one bike to another.
Easy to carry extra AA batteries just in case.
Blaze One is white, which makes it easy to find in my saddlebag.

Weaknesses:    Mount wont get tight on some bars. One or two wraps of electrical tape on the bars will get them to a thickness that works with the mount, so it's not a huge deal.
Beam is pretty tight, OK for a commuter, not great for trails.

Blaze 2 is not a lot brighter than Blaze 1.

Bottom Line:
I bought a 2-watt Blaze to use for commuting and trails, and a 1-watt for my wife's commuter. The 2-watt is about as bright as my old Cygolight, longer battery life and no 2 pound battery to drag around. Sweet! It's not really enough light for solo night riding, but for a group ride or finishing up at dusk it's OK. It's light and easy to stick on the bike for late afternoon rides, just in case.

I compared the one-watt to the two watt, and the one with new batteries actually looked a bit brighter. Swapped batteries, and the two was distinctly brighter. Considering it costs twice as much, it doesn't give a lot more light. I used alkalines for the test, NiMH have a flatter discharge rate and are probably better for this light. If you're on a budget, get the Blaze One and a couple rechargeable NiMH batteries and you'll do better than a Blaze 2 with alkalines.

I did a lot of research on line before I bought these lights and I have to say I'm very happy with them.

Ratings below are for the Blaze One, because I think it's the better deal. It's crazy bright compared to most other LEDs in its price bracket. -1 Chili overall because the mount could be better.

Favorite Trail:   Still looking

Similar Products Used:   Cygolite halogen

Bike Setup:   Rigid SS commuter, hardtail 3x9 mountain bike

Submitted by dragonrider a Weekend Warrior from Melbourne, Australia

Date Reviewed: May 11, 2009

Strengths:    Blinker is awesome - may cause seizures in oncoming drivers. Attachment is fine - dont know what criticism is about (I have 31.8' palm-comfort bars). Relatively light. Relatively cheap.

Weaknesses:    The screw mechanism to open (for battery change) rotates only 5 degrees to unlock. Feels solid now but over time may become loose and unscrew if going over a bump. Wouldn't use alone for night vision.

Bottom Line:
Bought the Blaze 1 watt version together with Superflash tail light, good value. Bought mainly so that cars dont knock me off. Seems to be working well, even during the day. Time will tell regarding durability (opening mechanism above).

Favorite Trail:   Alice Springs, Australia

Purchased At:   BicycleSupply.net

Similar Products Used:   old cateye halogen - a battery drain.

Bike Setup:   Giant TCR Advanced, Ultegra SL groupo

Submitted by mirboo73 a Weekend Warrior from Melbourne, Victoria, Australia

Date Reviewed: April 17, 2009

Strengths:    Great output & beam shape for 0.5W LED.
Solid mounting bracket.

Weaknesses:    none, considering the price & power

Bottom Line:
Great secondary light at a great price.

Favorite Trail:   Back roads of South West Gippsland