Planet Bike Beamer 5 Lights

4.25/5 (4 Reviews)

It's getting dark and you don?t want to piddle around with tools to attach your headlight to your bike. No worries?the Planet Bike Beamer 5 Headlight uses a Quick Cam bracket mount to attach illumination in mere seconds (no tools needed). Nichia eXtreme LEDs light your path in either flashing or steady modes and run for up to 100 hours on 2 AA batteries.

Submitted by Jerry Acosta

Date Reviewed: April 22, 2012

Strengths:    I love the overall lumens and I feel the brightness is effective in all conditions for safety and visual perceptions. It is the best light I've owned.

Weaknesses:    As far as the light itself I can't think of any weakness I can comment on. One thing I am noticing is that the handlebar mount is starting to crack on important mounting structures. The looseness creates an inconvenience of frequent adjustments during a ride. I've owed this product for 4 years so not bad for durability. I'm wondering where I could find a replacement for the handlebar mount for the Planet Bike Beamer 5 White LED? Any suggestions?

Bottom Line:
Great light for safety and night riding. Battery life lasts for 1 year using the light everyday for about 1.5 hours a day. It has a pattern of light with a main beam in the middle and six smaller beams surrounding the main one. I found the six smaller beams odd at first but now have noticed these smaller beams are helpful in the lighting a broader path on the sides and closer to the front wheel.

Submitted by dardo a Weekend Warrior from Seattle, Washington

Date Reviewed: October 24, 2011

Strengths:    An excellent "be seen" light
Long battery life
Waterproof
solidly constructed
Uses easy to find AA batteries

Weaknesses:    Very poor as an illumination light (to light your path)
Handlebar mount can be a little tricky til you get the hang of it.

Bottom Line:
Have had the Beamer 5 for about 4 years with heavy use. I ride my bike every day.
Here in rainy Seattle I have had no problems whatsover as the Beamer 5 is waterproof.
I ride in early morning darkness mostly and also use my bike for grocery shopping, to the post office, etc during the daytime. Either way the Beamer 5 is always on in strobe mode. The steady mode is useless as an illumination light but no problemo.. I bought it for its powerful strobe mode.
As far as I am concerned this is one of the best lights to help make you as visible as possible to motorists night and day.
I really like the idea I don't have to recharge its 2 AA batteries very often....long run time....even with daily use I am good for about 5 weeks between recharges.
With the Beamer 5's very bright strobe I have had oncoming motorists wait for me for a half a block to let me pass before making a left turn . And this puppy also gets in the face of motorists coming out of approaching intersections and driveways.
If you want to been seen on your bike I highly recommend the Beamer 5.

Favorite Trail:   Iron Horse/John Wayne Trail

Purchased At:   amazon

Similar Products Used:   Photon Freedom Fusion headlamp
Fenix LD25

Bike Setup:   2010 Specialized Hardrock Sport Disc Fisher
2002 Gary Fisher Solstice

Submitted by Flanderflop a Racer from louisville, KY

Date Reviewed: March 28, 2011

Strengths:    Reasonable light for the money

Weaknesses:    Rubber around on off switch cracks causing it to be suceptable to water

Bottom Line:
I have been happy with this product, but recently I have questioned its durability largely due to the cracking of the mateial around the on off switch. The light throws enough light so that you can be seen, but not really enough to ride with at night. Recently switched to the knog Skink and have been wishing I just went that route in the first place, it has more power and an easier mounting ststen if you want to switch between bikes. As the two have the same MSRP it is kind of a no brainer

Purchased At:   http://www.goosecree

Similar Products Used:   Knog Skink

Bike Setup:   Fixed gear Frankenbike

Submitted by Warren Goodhue a Weekend Warrior from New Zealand

Date Reviewed: February 25, 2009

Strengths:    Compact, very bright (for the money). Simple solid mount that fits all bar sizes. Good battery life.

Weaknesses:    None so far.

Bottom Line:
This is not a night mountain bike light but for what it is designed for, commuting in urban enviroments, and for the money, it's brilliant! Brighter and cheaper than the Polaris. As bright and way cheaper than the Voyager, also smaller, better battery duration AND it hasn't broken its mount yet and bounced down the road. The mount is simple and fits all sized bars easily. Light attaches solidly and can be removed easily. It only uses 2 x AA batteries and is bright enough to ride in the pitch dark (just). I'm still on the original batteries after a month of hard use. It's a five Chilli product to me.