NiteRider Solas Lights

4.33/5 (3 Reviews)

The Solas 2 Watt Tail Light is the ulitmate bicycle taillight, featuring a powerful 2 watt LED, 4 modes (2 flash/2 steady) and is USB rechargeable. There's also the new “Group Ride Mode” for cyclists who still want to stay visible and safer but not annoy others in the pack.

Submitted by willtsmith_nwi

Date Reviewed: February 21, 2015

Strengths:    This rear blinkie has incredible brightness. The blink modes are strong and it is easily noticeable in daylight. The rechargeable battery makes it awesome.

Weaknesses:    The mount is a pain and feels a bit weak.

Bottom Line:
Super bright, the mount is lite.

Submitted by Straz85 a Weekend Warrior

Date Reviewed: September 17, 2012

Strengths:    -Bright as hell
-Nice beam pattern
-USB chargeable
-Easy to operate power button
-NiteRider has amazing customer support

Weaknesses:    -Could come with more mounts
-Goes flaccid sometimes (see summary for explanation)

Bottom Line:
I've been using this light for a few weeks now. Definitely the brightest light I've used to date. It has a sufficient number of modes (2 flashing, solid and group ride). The mounts are decent quality, it comes with two, a seatpost and a seatstay mount. I've been using the seatstay mount so far. The first ride, I noticed it was pointing at the ground after only 15 minutes. I moved it back up and tightened the thumb screw a bit, 15 minutes after it was aiming down again. I had to make the thumb screw literally as tight as I could with my fingers to get it to stay, and even at that it went down 1 notch in the last hour of my ride. I may try to find a Philips screw to replace it so I can tighten it a little more with a screwdriver. That's really the only down side, otherwise it's an excellent light.

Favorite Trail:   Commute

Duration Product Used:   3 weeks

Purchased At:

Similar Products Used:   -Planet Bike Superflash Turbo
-Planet Bike Blinky 5
-Blackburn Mars 3.0

Bike Setup:   Surly Cross-Check frame w/ full Apex group, rack, fenders, panniers

Submitted by bedwards1000 a Cross Country Rider

Date Reviewed: September 14, 2012

Strengths:    Bright, Rechargeable, Lightweight, flexible mount

Weaknesses:    No extra mounts (yet?)

Bottom Line:
I can't imagine ever needing a rear light that is brighter than this one.

Compared to the Planet Bike Blinky 5 & Blinky 7 which I previously thought were pretty bright...This thing is a supernova! It can be mounted on either the seat stay or seat post. It has a thumbscrew making it a tool-less installation. There is only one clip that mounts to the light so you can't put one of each mount on different bikes.

I ended up tie-wrapping mine to the back of my helmet because I ride several bikes after dark and didn't want to switch mounts around.

Oddly enough it came with zero instructions. Not that it's rocket science but nothing is a little weird. Time to full charge and whether it has any low battery indication remain a mystery. I can tell you that it glows a dim red while charging and then turns to blue when it is fully charged.

At $40 I may have to by another.

Purchased At:   Bike A Mile

Similar Products Used:   Blinky 5, Blinky 7, Flare, various other low end tail lights. This light is brighter than all of them on at once.

Check out hottest mountain bike products from these brands!