NiteRider Lumina 700 Lights

4.5/5 (4 Reviews)

Submitted by SnakeHandling SingleSpeeder a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: November 14, 2013

Strengths:    Light mounts well to handlebars or helmet
Light has more than enough lumens

Weaknesses:    None yet

Bottom Line:
Highly recommend.
I initially got interested in night riding when I had kids and my schedule was a lot more difficult. Combined with the recent daylight savings and it was a no brainer, as there was no time to ride before or after work. So I went to a night rider demo and it was a wonder. Loved it. Completely cycling for me. It is a lot more fun.

I would recommend 2 lights though. I supplement my 700 with a 350. I mount one on my helmet and one on my handlebars. You want to see where you're going AND where you want to go.

Submitted by Tavm

Date Reviewed: November 4, 2013

Strengths:    USB rechargeable, more lumens for the dollar, and a great bracket setup

Weaknesses:    Needs more horizontal spread, and that's about it

Bottom Line:
I often times find myself riding at night, due to work and school constraints. I didn't want a blinky thing that just helped other people see me, I wanted to see what was in front of me. As I shopped around, I found that most companies were selling 500 lumen, 450, and so forth for the same price as NR's Lumina 700. After some further deliberation and research, I chose this but in a package w/ the tail lamp as well. All of it worked great. It has several ways to illuminate, and the brightest setting is obviously the best. It leaves something on the table as far as looks go, but it does the job well. Easy to use, easy to charge, easy to attach and it lights my way with little worries.

Purchased At:   Modern Bike

Submitted by yeahdog31 a Cross Country Rider

Date Reviewed: October 28, 2013

Strengths:    Inexepensive, simplicity, lights the path nicely.

Weaknesses:    Lack of detachable battery (minor gripe).

Bottom Line:
I had two of the older NiteRider Evolution series lights with separate battery packs. When the batteries needed a rebuild, I opted to try the Lumina 700 instead of paying ~$90 to get my old batteries rebuilt. I got the Lumina 700 for just a little bit more than that!

First of all, the LED bulb is MUCH brighter than my older lights, and the beam pattern is very nice on the trail. I use this primarily for night rides in the woods, and I normally run on the lowest setting. It provides plenty of light for my needs. Many of the people I ride with are surprised it is so efficient and simple, and they spent a lot more on their headlights.

I love the fact that there are no wires or cords or external batteries to fuss with; the battery is contained in the main unit. It is surprisingly lightweight -- although it does weigh just a little bit more than my old light (not including the old light's detachable battery). You can feel a slight weight difference when mounted to your helmet. I'd recommend mounting it higher and towards the top/center of your helmet for better weight distribution. I have not mounted this to my handlebars yet, so I can't comment on that.

I have used this several times on multi-hour night rides and haven't run the battery out completely yet. It seems to charge fairly quickly, too.

My only complaint, and it's a minor one, would be that if your battery does die mid-ride you can't just pop a fresh one on there. However, at this price, it might be worthwhile to just buy a spare one!

I would highly recommend this light if you're tempted to try night riding, but are turned-off by the high price of most lights on the market. Rather than buying a cheap, dim, piece of junk, I would definitely recommend going with something like this.

Duration Product Used:   2 months (so far)

Purchased At:   online

Similar Products Used:   NiteRider Evolution Series

Submitted by Tan&Green a Weekend Warrior

Date Reviewed: October 19, 2013

Strengths:    Very bright, good directional light, the lighting mount and the fact the light can be removed from the mount.

Weaknesses:    No flashing mode (for those that like that)

Bottom Line:
The Niterider Lumina 700 light is perfect for commuting. I rode on city streets in the early morning hours as well as at night and it performed just as I hoped it would. I rode with the light on the low setting and I have it angled toward the ground in front of me. The light itself is small, but the beam is wide enough to help with the maneuvering of the bike in the event you need to make those quick ride adjustments. The light comes with a helmet mounting attachment, but I will not speak on that because I more than likely will not use it, so I cannot comment on that, but it is included in the box. The mounting attachment was east to place on the bike and adjust so the light beam could be placed in the direction I want it to illuminate. The settings were good because since I ride in the city, there is no need to blast the high beam. The street lights light up things around me and the bike light takes care of that area in front of me just the way I want it to perform.

I knew the light was bright when I rode up on other riders and they all complemented my light and one guy wanted me to ride in front, and like I stated, that was the low setting. However, because the light does not have a flashing mode to get drivers attention, I did get an inexpensive flashing light that flashed so drivers approaching street corners from different directions could be made aware a cyclist was there. I will say, the steady light of the Niterider Lumina 700 was very necessary because I know people want a flashing light, but I purchased this light so I could see the rode in front of me and help me with making my decisions during my commute.

The high beam would be great if one was riding on the trails. It is bright enough to see everything in front and not blast too much light on anyone you may ride up on from behind. Overall, I am glad I made this purchase because I got it on sale and that made it 5 flaming chilis for me.

Duration Product Used:   At least one hour each way