NiteRider Lumina 650 Lights

4.82/5 (11 Reviews)

Smaller, lighter, and brighter sums up the Niterider Lumina 650. The Lumina raises the bar for self contained lights, packing 650 lumens to match both you budget and performance needs. The lightweight body combines with increased thermal properties, ensuring a brighter and longer lasting LED. All Luminas feature a newly designed handlebar mount making certain it remains rock solid whether on the trail or pavement.

NiteRider Lumina 650 Pro Review

Last year’s Minewt 600 is replaced by the Lumina 650 this year. And if you like the 600, you’re sure to love the 650 as most aspects were improved. It is smaller now and looks better with a good blend of black and silver design and heat sinking. Light output has been improved not just by 50 claimed Lumens. Last year’s light measured only 485 on an integrating sphere while this year’s measured 647 lumens. Our Mtbr Lux meter measured 67 Lux compared to 50 last year. Continue reading →

Submitted by pimpbot a Cross Country Rider

Date Reviewed: October 31, 2013

Strengths:    Light, compact, easy to use. cheap, potentially user replaceable battery, FRICKING BRIGHT!!

Weaknesses:    The light tap-dances in the helmet mount a bit.

Bottom Line:
Great light!

It's nice and bright with a good beam pattern. It comes with bar and helmet mounts. I did a full charge on it and ran it on full bright for a runtime test. I got nearly two hours, not just the 1.5 claimed runtime hours. The thing is so bright, I only run it on full bright for techy descents, or high speed fire road bombing runs. Most of the time, I run it on low or medium. I use this on my helmet in combination with a NiteRider Minewt Dual 700 on the bars. I also like that it is held together with 4 small allen screws. So, somebody could potentially crack it open and replace the LiIon battery inside when the factory one gets weak.... at your own risk, of course. I'm guessing it's a regular 18650 LiIon cell.

My only complaint is that it rattles a tiny bit in the helmet mount. I just slipped a piece of thick paper in there and it's fine, but it gets one chili deducted for that.

For the price, you can't beat it. The Lumina 700 looks like the same thing, just with a brighter LED emitter.

Favorite Trail:   Annadel, Joaqiun Miller

Duration Product Used:   1 year

Purchased At:   Endless Cycles

Similar Products Used:   MagicShine (crappy batteries and poor battery management makes them die quickly), various halogen lights.

Bike Setup:   Many... cross country kinda stuff.

Submitted by Wow!

Date Reviewed: May 10, 2013

Strengths:    This is the best helmet mount light ever !!!
No power cord
Three to four hours of good light
Easy power switch with long finger gloves
Wide light beam & no problems in a heavy downpour

Weaknesses:    I don't like the big blue light button when bar mounted.

Bottom Line:
Try it you'll like it!

Duration Product Used:   2 years

Submitted by Keith

Date Reviewed: March 1, 2013

Strengths:    Niterider has come up with some incredible lights in the past but this time they set the bar off the charts. This light is every thing you could want and need for commuting. Incredibly bite, Light weight, USB charging, Easy on and off the bike, No loose cords, Well built, Good run time. Good handlebar mount.

Bottom Line:
I have owned Niterider lights since 1992 I work second shift so my commute home is in the dark all year round. I need a reliable light and Niterider always has made very reliable lights. This new lumina 650 is a fantastic light.

Submitted by Merlin3 a Cross Country Rider

Date Reviewed: February 23, 2013

Strengths:    Small, light and bright... light output is very impressive for such a small self contained unit. No wires or separate power pack required! Good run-time.

Weaknesses:    Not feasible to change to a spare battery when out on a ride... having said that I don’t know many riders that carry a spare anyway.

Bottom Line:
Don't be put off by the modest lumen rating of 650. This is small and light but most importantly bright exactly where you need it!... there must be some very clever reflector design to deliver such a well defined beam and spread from just one LED. The newer design of handlebar mount is a big improvement on Niterider’s earlier versions, especially when off road where the older type could slip round in wet conditions. Overall build quality is good, better than most of the eastern imports.

Similar Products Used:   Magicshine mj-827, earlier Niterider

Bike Setup:   Merlin Malt 3 / XT / Rockshox Recon

Submitted by n2b8tor

Date Reviewed: January 9, 2013

Strengths:    Light weight, long battery life, dependable, easy charging, 3 brightness setting.

Bottom Line:
Been riding with this on my helmet for XC trail riding in my local trails and this has been sensational. The tilt is adjustable on my helmet and I like the fact that I can run the low light setting for climbing and then change to highest beam for fast descents. I like the fact that there is no cord or separate battery housing, this light is great for riding probably for 2-3 hours. I don't know about longer rides as far as battery life but for my riding it has been perfect. Charging is a cinch on USB. I might get another for mounting on the handlebar.

Submitted by AuntieAPE a Cross Country Rider

Date Reviewed: December 12, 2012

Strengths:    Bright enough, small, decent run time on high, great run time on medium, comes with helmet mount, USB charging

Weaknesses:    Sticks up a little high when helmet mounted; Lightweight, but weighs enough to notice on the helmet

Bottom Line:
Good light for the money. I run this on the helmet and a Gemini Titan on the bars and this combo is more than sufficient. If I could only have one light and only had $150, this would probably be it.

Purchased At:   REI

Similar Products Used:   Older nightriders, etc.

Bike Setup:   Niner RIP 9, Redline Monocog 29, Soma Double Cross

Submitted by mwarner57

Date Reviewed: November 14, 2012

Strengths:    No cord! This is the first cordless light I've used that is bright enough for night MTB rides. I am using it as a helmet light, and it is just soooo much easier when you don't have to route a cord to a battery in your jersey or hydration pack. The USB charging is awesome also. I can charge the light from my computer at work before riding at night. Light output is outstanding. The included helmet mount is working like a champ so far.

Weaknesses:    Light can be difficult to turn off sometimes.

Bottom Line:
This is more of a "spot" than a "flood" light if that matters to you. I use mine in combination with a MagicShine on the bars and it works awesome. The MS died during a ride a few weeks ago and I used the Lumina solo on the last singletrack downhill and I did not have to slow down at all. Would love to have a 1000 lumen version of this for a bar light.

Submitted by Ziggy

Date Reviewed: October 29, 2012

Strengths:    Super bright, lightweight, long run time.

Bottom Line:
This light is awesome, I went screaming down my favorite ride 25-30 mph and I could see everything. Highly recommend.

Submitted by eischman a Cross Country Rider

Date Reviewed: October 25, 2012

Strengths:    best band for buck out there. Great design...lasts a long time. I put 2 on my bars and when it gets dark I move one to my head.

Bottom Line:
buy it...you will not be dissapointed

Submitted by Lotus7 a Cross Country Rider

Date Reviewed: September 17, 2012

Strengths:    Inexpensive and very bright! A few years ago you had spend near 3 times the money for 400 lumen HID light (I still have some if you want them). Bar mount is nicely executed with click swivel adjustment. Seems solid and well constructed. All-in-one construction is nice with no wires or separate battery to mount.

3 power modes as well as daytime flasher and walk mode.

Weaknesses:    No real battery gauge. The on/off button glows blue and with 15-20% left it changes to red. With 3-4% it goes into lowest riding power mode. A real battery gauge would be a real plus so you can best plan your ride and light usage. Light and motion worked a batter gauge into there 150 lumen Solite 150 I think Niterider should do the same.

A little hard to put on my very large diameter bar next to the stem. It works, but the adjuster must be backed-out all the way to get it to fit.

Bottom Line:
Great light for so little money. I have only used it on the bar and it worked fine by itself. I am more of a helmet light guy as I like to have light where I look. The best is a bar and helmet combo. This light with a similar power headlight works great. Also great as back-up incase my helmet light goes out. No worries getting out of the woods with this light alone.

I just stash this all-in-one light in my pack and when it gets to be dusk and then suddenly dark in the woods (the leaves are still on the trees in VT) I quickly slide the light on the bar mount and I am good to go at 650 lumens for another 90 min. or lower powered for longer.

Favorite Trail:   I like most anything XC oriented. I do not enjoy getting hurt much anymore.

Duration Product Used:   1 month

Similar Products Used:   Niterider and Light in Motion HID lights. Light in Motion Solite (for trail running and walking my dog at night in the woods). Niterider 1800 Pro (more light then anyone needs on high but as the Jerry said "too much of everything is just enough" and in this case it is certainly true) (with this light is it still night riding?). Old Niterider and Nightsun (remember them?) and home brewed halogen with big a** lead acid camcorder batteries back in the day of little money but lots of desire and time.

Bike Setup:   Cannondale Scalpel 29er.
Ibis Silk-ti (for sale as I am not riding it very much or really at all now). Beautiful bike but as an old long time mt. biker I like the ease and speed of the 29r.

Submitted by Kevin

Date Reviewed: August 16, 2012

Strengths:    Great light for the money! Well made, durable, mounts are great, helmet mount is great and didn't notice the weight.

Weaknesses:    None so far

Bottom Line:
Used this light for the 1st time last night on a group single trail ride and didn't even use the bright setting, lit trails up great and when behind others out lit their light. Wasn't expecting much because it wasn't in the $300 + range but exceeded my expectations! This light can be used solo to light up the trail!

NiteRide Lumina 650 vs MiNewt Pro 750??????

So is there a reason I would choose teh MiNewt 750 over the Lumina 650? The tests say that the true lumen rating on the two lights is really only about 50 lumens different. The MiNewt is about $100 more....so is it better in some way? I guess I usually assume that higher price means you are g ... Read More »

Niterider Lumina 650 moisture on lens (inside) vs Minewt 600

I have both the niterider Lumina 650 and the older Minewt 600. While the 650 does punch out slightly more light and is lighter, it does have one drawback (minor). As the heat sink gets larger, the rubber seal that keeps water out is a bit more "complex" in shape. So if you ride through very sever ... Read More »

NiteRider Lumina 650 take apart?

I'm seriously considering a couple of NR Lumina 650s for my nighttime riding adventures. One for the lid, one for the bars. I like the light weight, no cords, and loads of places sell them for around $125 landed. This weekend, REI has them for $105 before tax. :eek: One concern tho: Has anybody t ... Read More »

handlebar light to compliment a Niterider Lumina 650

Hello, I recently picked up a Lumina 650, and I think it's pretty decent. after doing a little bit of reading in this forum, I'd like to run 2 lights. I'm not wanting to spend a fortune, and I was looking at the options that action-led has on their website. Would you guys recommend running ... Read More »

Better headlamp beam pattern for road commuting than Niterider Lumina 650?

I have a 5.5 mi commute each way that has street lights for most of the ride, though I have not done it at night yet. I just bought a Niterider 650 Lumina to be sure I could light up the road as well as be seen with a Cygolite Hotshot in the year. It maybe total overkill on the lumen rating when ... Read More »