NiteRider Commuter Light Lights

4.47/5 (19 Reviews)

Nightrider Commuter Light

Submitted by JD a Weekend Warrior

Date Reviewed: November 4, 2012

Strengths:    Its bright when it works.

Weaknesses:    problems with battery recharge

Bottom Line:
U don't want this light. It sounds like a great light, and it very bright when it works, but its unreliable. The battery charge is spotty, it charges for a awhile, then it poops out, leaving you in the dark. Really in the dark.

Duration Product Used:   3 times

Submitted by marylou avanzino a Cross Country Rider from san jose, california

Date Reviewed: October 23, 2002

Strengths:    powerful light, works great for a while, then problems begin. Battery pack is small, which is nice.

Weaknesses:    I've owned two systems and I developed problems before the first year is up with both. The service department talked to me and facilitated the returns, but the problems persisted. I'm going to try another brand next time. To pay $200 and get a 10-month product is too rich for my blood.

Bottom Line:
I may come back to NightRider, but will purchase another brand next time in hopes of better value.

Purchased At:   local bike store

Similar Products Used:   battery powered lights

Submitted by Michael Lourdeaux a Weekend Warrior from Los Altos, CA

Date Reviewed: May 1, 2002

Strengths:    Great Design, Easy to Use...Durable and Functional

Weaknesses:    My sporadic usage did not work well with the previous design...improvements have been made to models three years and newer!

Bottom Line:
A product is only as good as the company that backs it up. With all great products there can be problems and the question is...what is the experience if/when something goes wrong.

I faced some unique challenges and found the support provided by NiteRider to be exceptional. They treat customers on a person level and really look at the big picture regarding customer satisfaction.

When I sent my unit in for service they suggested postage options thats cost me less than $5.00. When I explained my problems they listen, suggested and supported me!

Everyone who builds and sells products must make a profit to survive...and customer support can eat into this profit. My experience with the team at NiteRider showed that they are there for you and want your long term business.

Great Product + Great Support = Loyal Customers

I am one and will continue to be one as I upgrade to the latest and greatest NiteRider system!

ML

Bike Setup:   Non Suspended Mountain Bike

Submitted by Dan a Cross-Country Rider from Seemiller

Date Reviewed: January 3, 2000

Strengths:
1. Extremely Reliable
2. Extremely Bright
3. Great Support from NiteRider

Weaknesses:
No NiMH battery option for classic system.

Bottom Line:
I use this light to commute 23 miles on road/trails to work. When I first purchased the light 3 years ago, the switch failed on my way to work. I called Nite Rider when I got to work. They were extremely helpful, called my local bike ship and had an immediate replacement ready for my ride home.One day I hit a set of RR Tracks really hard to avoid getting hit by traffic from behind. The force ejected the battery from the water bottle cage. Amazingly, the battery stayed connected as it was dragged about 100 feet to a point where I could safely turn off the road. The watter bottle batery had some road rash but was fully intact with cable and it kept working. It's the same battery I use today (it's getting a little tired now).

more than 3 years

Nite Sun

Cannondale Mountain and
Klein Road Bike

Submitted by Kelvin Tan Kok Ann a cross-country rider from Singapore

Date Reviewed: June 30, 1998

Bottom Line:

Best desribe as a sun. Because even 4 hours of using in a jungle,the surrounding still look like it was day time.From far away,my bikes look likes a car.That is because i have installed two Nightrider Commuter Light.Best luck to u all.I can't wait for u guys of what are u all developing next!!!!

Submitted by Carlos J. Montanez a weekend warrior from Phoenix, AZ

Date Reviewed: May 21, 1998

Bottom Line:

I installed not one but two Niterider Dual Beams on my mountain bike and I am very pleased with their performance. We regularly ride the Phoenix Mountain Park at night, a 3 to 4 hour roundtrip, and the lamps pierce the night. I've been able to appreciate the superiority of the Niterider over other brands. The Niterider is exactly what you need. These lamps are pricey, but then again, these are not toys; these lamps are the real thing. I believe it is safer to ride at night for two reasons: (1) the angle of the light beam creates a shadow over the terrain that gives you more information about the ruggedness ahead, and (2) it is not necessary to travel at high speed to reach the desired adrenaline rush. If you live in Arizona, summer days are tough, but summer nights are o.k.
The bottom line is -- if you want to master the night -- pay a little extra and get the real McCoy -- you'll be glad. Also, buy a timer at Radio Shack to time your recharge cycle to the letter. NiCad batteries last a long time when you take good care of them -- or none at all if you don't. You must understand NiCads very well before using them!

Submitted by Alan a cross-country rider from USA

Date Reviewed: December 17, 1997

Bottom Line:

Best light I have ever owned - cyclops. Totally weather proof, tough as nails, construction rarely seen outside military pecs. One thing - I thought to upgrade to your top of the line system - it looks awsome - excpet that it is in gray - bogus! Bring back the black. And about the $300.00 price - I fell ass-backwards - twice. You gotta do something about that! Sorry bud, I'll buy another cyclops. Remember, most of us live in the real world and and have jobs, morgages,bills,...

Submitted by victor sagie a cross-country rider from culver city,ca

Date Reviewed: February 9, 1997

Bottom Line:

while my niterider premium works ok,I have come to
realize that it's over priced compared to other
lights.my friend has a nightsun that seems brighter
than mine and also runs after mine goes dead,but he
spent less $ for it.

Submitted by Freddy Edgemon a racer from Tennessee

Date Reviewed: December 1, 1996

Bottom Line:

This light rules. I've tried older Cateye's, Specialized, and also the
Night Rider Cyclops. The commuter works awsome compared to these. The
rechargeable battery is great. And the 12watt bulb is perfect for roads,
but the whole 32watts is just perfect for the trail. There's no need not to
go not to go nightridding if you have the NR. Awsome!!!!!!!!

Submitted by Peter a cross-country rider from San Francisco

Date Reviewed: December 1, 1996

Bottom Line:

I bought a NiteRider XCL Pro aka Nighthawk as an addition to my NiteRider 10 watt single beam system I’ve owned for a year. I have the XCL mounted on my handlebar and the single mounted on my helmet. This set up works really well, allowing me to direct my helmet light around corners on trails, and while riding to the trails allows me to alert cars by directing the helmet light at them - 10 watts isn’t bright enough to blind them. The XCL obviously provides the bulk of the illumination.I looked at the G-Whiz Ultra Death Ray (an acquaintance makes them) and the Stadium Light before buying the XCL. The G-Whiz emits a prodigious amount of light, but I didn’t like the mounting system or the battery, and the Stadium Light had unproven reliability, a hideously expensive $100 replacement bulb, and much less flexibility than the XCL. Also, I don’t always ride with my light on, but when I turn it on I want light NOW. There is a delay between the time one turns the Stadium Light on and the time it actually provides light. I had visions of a tangled and bloody mess that once was me and my bike lying at the bottom of a cliff, and as I take my dying breath the Stadium light flashes ON.
Anyhow, the XCL is very nicely built and is breeze to operate. Although changing modes can be somewhat challenging while trying to remain upright on a bumpy trail, the single button arrangement is well thought out. The light is admirably bright with the two beams providing enough variance in what they cover for both to be useful separately and very effective when used in concert with each other. Unlike the other NiteRider dual beam system, there is no dark time in between high and low beam - just more or less light. A neat touch: when the light is off, a touch of the button allows you to flash the lights on, like on a car. Very cool! And especially useful during dusk when you’re not sure if the driver of that car sees you.Charging is easy, with no worries about over charging, and the fuel gauge works well. The only nit I can pick is that while the mount allows one to change the position of the light on the fly, the graduations are too large to allow any but one position to be effective. I would prefer a pivot with a friction clamp. The XCL is highly recommended for those that don’t have the time to train during the day.

Submitted by E. Mills a weekend warrior from Oklahoma

Date Reviewed: November 26, 1996

Bottom Line:

Deliberated for a long tome on whether to spend about $250 on a NightSun or NightRider lighting system. Went with the NightRider Commuter and haven't had any regrets. It is an incredibly solid, well-built product, and puts out more than enough light for fast off road riding in complete darkness. It also ensures that when road riding, cars give you a wide berth. I have yet to see NightSun in the flesh but judging from the reviews, NightRider was and is the way to go.

Submitted by Jeff a racer from Anchorage Alaska

Date Reviewed: November 17, 1996

Bottom Line:

This is on the new NiteHawk light:WHOOAAA $300 dollars for a bicycle light??
That was my first reaction and I have tried many combinations of cheapy lights. I finally bit the bullet and bought what I considered the best light on the market. I already have a cyclops by Niterider, and have thoughly enjoyed it but found it lacking in light at times. Well that has all changed!!This is THE BEST LIGHT PERIOD!!In Anchorage we only have about 5.5 hours of daylight each day right now. That means that you need a light the other 18.5(You get the point, I use it a lot!!) After strapping this baby on and setting it up(required doing a quick ride on a flat road to ensure I had the beam pointed right) I was off. I rode for just under two hours in 14 degree temps. I had to stop once to adjust my helmet and left the light on the whole time(most the time on the spot beam at 12Watts) and when I got home it still had 1/4 its charge.
The truely amazing thing is the amount ++ quality of the light. Even compared to my Pro 6 / Cyclops(also made by Niterider) the NiteHawk was awesome.I don't know what else to say other than it hurt to pay for it BUT it adds about 8 months onto the riding season and provides EXCELLENT light!! And how many times are you going to buy a light, with this one it will only be once!!If anyone has specific questions I would be more than happy to answer them at asjjk@uaa.alaska.eduDon't let the night slow you down!!
Jeffif they had a sixth star this would get it!!

Submitted by Doug a cross-country rider from Southern Californiia

Date Reviewed: October 31, 1996

Bottom Line:

I have the Nighthawk and find it unbeatable. I'll add to the other reviews and praise the low power mode. In the 6 hour mode I can still see 100 feet ahead on a dark trail (maybe its the bulb color temperature). You need the higher power only to overcome contrast from other artificial light (street, stadium, etc.). Water-resistant, bright, long-lasting, smart charging, a great light system.

Submitted by Mike Harris a weekend warrior from Houston, TX

Date Reviewed: October 29, 1996

Bottom Line:

I currently own the Nighthawk(XCL) and the 15 Cyclops Premium. I use them for wooded single track. I feel the spot headlight and flood handlebar light combination works best for this type of riding. Both work as advertised and I would recommend them unconditionally. Also, I have heard very good things about the company. I did the 24hours of Moab in 1995 and our team had a mixture of NightRider, NightSun, VistaLight and Jonco. The NightRider proved to be the most dependable. Also, the NightRider support/charging tent was professional, cheerfull and responsive, even at 3:00 a.m. during the blowing snow.

Submitted by chris a cross-country rider from Greensburg, PA

Date Reviewed: October 8, 1996

Bottom Line:

The NightHawk is without a doubt the BEST bike light on the market. I use it daily for commuting with the optional rear flasher. The flasher is so bright that it can also be used in the daylight! When compared to other flashers it can only be described as blinding. The NightHawk has smart charging (worth the extra money alone), a fuel gauge, a reserve tank and too many other extras to mention here. Don't waste your money on anything else. The only thing that even comes close to NiteRider lights is their customer service.

Suggest me a commuter/weekend warrior light for ~$50

Hi, x-mas time is coming and I need suggestions for the family as which lights they could get me for the 25th. I'm commuting year-round, only a short commute tough on well lighted streets, so I don't need much power/fancy stuff, but I'd also like to use it for night rides I get to do once in a ... Read More »

All-in-one rechargeable torch/ commuter light

right, this is just a tease shot as I lost the whole post I'd just written (frikking Chrome and it's bloody resizing tabs to just larger than the close tab symbol) and I'm far too pissed off to rewrite everything again tonight Parts: 1A USB charger, XM-L T6 3c (first go with a NW emitter!), AK-47 ... Read More »

Commuter Bike Light Kit

Is there a light kit that has front and bacl lights that is a common kit used by commuters? Any suggestions? Thanks, David......:DRead More »

information overload! just need a good commuter light.

theres a lot to go over here! im not even sure what im looking for anymore.. im definitely a tinkerer, id like to make my own light. i work nights and the only thing holding me back from bicycle commuting is a good, strong headlamp.. id be on a roadbike on paved roads, but at 4am i dont want to b ... Read More »

Simple Cree P4 commuter light

After mij achsealot build I had some P4 emitters over (thanks DX:D). So i decided to build a simple commuter light. Ledil wide optic, 25MM square tubing, 750Mah driver, appliance cord, tamiya connectors, furniture plugs. [IMG]http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2027/2189861081_bce85cb2eb.jpg[/IMG] ... Read More »