Nightsun Team Issue Lights

• Mounting System: long arm quick release

• Review Options:  Sorted by Latest Review | Sort by Best Rating

Submitted by Lou a Weekend Warrior from Waretown, NJ USA

Date Reviewed: November 21, 2006

Strengths:    Simple to mount, Tough design, Bright light, run times at 2 plus hours..A good price & good value.

Weaknesses:    Changing bulbs can be trickey.

Bottom Line:
    I have used the Nightsun Team Issue Dual Beam lamp for 10 years. I am on my original set & I finally after 10 years have to replace the battery. I have gone thru 2 sets of bulbs which can be a little trickey to change but you have to realize that I have had these lamps for 10 years. For the price of the battery I will probably just buy a new set though I could get away with just a battery. I can not complain at all about these lights. Having them for 10 yrs. they owe me absolutely nothing. I am sure there may be better lamps out there but for my money you can't go wrong with Nightsun. If you're thinking about getting them just do it! I highly recommend these lights.

Favorite Trail:   Ridge Trail,,,Wells Mills Park

Purchased At:   Nightsun online

Bike Setup:   2003 Giant Iguana Disc...Stock setup

Submitted by Peter a Weekend Warrior from Lakeland, FL, USA

Date Reviewed: October 20, 2005

Strengths:    Runtime, quality construction

Weaknesses:    NiCad battery technology, mounting strap failure

Bottom Line:
    I've used this light for almost 10 years. It's been with me riding in north and middle Georgia to Florida. The original battery (amazingly) still has about 60% capacity; and the bulbs still burn as bright as when I purchased the light. If I were to approximate time used, it would be around 250-300 hours. Albeit, I've grown into a sedentary lifestyle and mountain biking has drifted into memory, the NightSun Team Issue is still up for any impromptu night rides I can muster. Kudos goes to NightSun for constructing a quality product with excellent long-term use.

Purchased At:   Don't remember

Bike Setup:   1995 to present - Barracuda hardtail, XTR, mavic rims, RockShox Judy XL
    1993 to 1995 - Yeti Ultimate RockShox Mag21, XT, Bullseye crankset, Bullseye hubs

Submitted by G M a Weekend Warrior from Houston, TX

Date Reviewed: April 5, 2004

Strengths:    Well made, outstanding reliability

Weaknesses:    Battery connectors could be better, but I've had no operational problems with them

Bottom Line:
    I bought my first Team Issue light about 8 years ago & it still works. I've replaced one bulb one time & the battery croaked years ago. Actually, the charger failed first & I called to buy a new charger & was told that the charger died because the battery was 5 years old & was bad.

I was told that a new battery & charger was about $150, but that they offered a special deal for previous owners & would sell me a new Team Issue system for $150 which I thought was reasonable. So, having two bikes, I bought a new Team Issue system. That system is at least 3 years old today & has worked flawlessly. The battery is thus far still good.

I did detect a little of the sarcasm in the voice of the Nightsun person I called regarding my old battery & charger, but I was friendly & the other guy offered to make me a better deal on a new unit. All in all, the lights have been excellent performers & I would probably buy from them again. Their HID light looks tempting.

For my older light, I bought a $15 rechargeable 12 volt sealed lead acid battery from Home Depot used for emergency exit signs & a $5 under seat bag from Academy to cary it in. The battery weighs about the same as the water bottle battery & is about the size of 2 packs of cigarettes. Its a 5 Amp-hour battery & works great. I charge it with a $5 12 volt 300ma power supply from Radio Shack. I reused the original battery cable from the old battery.

Purchased At:   From Nightsun

Similar Products Used:   Cateye

Bike Setup:   Nashiki transition bike

Submitted by Stephan a Cross Country Rider from Washington

Date Reviewed: December 12, 2002

Strengths:    Bright, good beam pattern

Weaknesses:    Expensive, Not weatherproof, replacement parts are expensive, battery and connectors are poorly constructed, charger didn't last a year.

Bottom Line:
    The battery on this light didn't last long. I used it for about a year In Alaska before the battery filled with water and corroded the connections and the battery cells. The Molex connections are cheap and not weather resistant at all. I replaced them about 6 times since I've owned the light. The bulbs last quite a while, but are expensive to replace. The high/low beam toggle switch also had corrosion problems and had to be replaced. The mounts for the light and switch are a joke, they're pretty much just cable clamps. I wouldn't but another NightSun product unless I lived in an area where it never rained.

Favorite Trail:   Foothills

Purchased At:   Elkays bicycles

Bike Setup:   Sandvik titanium, XT,XTR, mavic
    Klein Rascal Full XT

Submitted by Pete from Oahu, HI

Date Reviewed: November 10, 2002

Strengths:    Bright! Bright! Bright! Relatively inexpensive.

Weaknesses:    Electrical connections are not dependable - light(s) tend to blink off during rough conditions. I use it for commuting, so I've been able to get by with it.

Bottom Line:
    Not dependable enough to justify either buying another Nitesun or recommending this brand to another.

Purchased At:   mail order

Hans Dampf or Bontrager xr4 team issue?

For the front (currently running evo pacestar Nobby Nic front and rear). Anyone with ride time on both? First hand feedback on cornering, braking, rolling resistance, durability, etc. much appreciated.Read More »

2014 Scalpel Team : Sprint lockout issue?

building my 2014 (coming off of a 2012 w/a 2013 Hybrid fork). and the dual "sprint" lockout doesnt seem to be working right? when I push to lockout the fork is a bit "stickier" but not "rigid". when I unlock the fork still seems very "sticky" and not very smooth (and stiffer than the 100psi in the f ... Read More »

Wondering when the SE4 Team Issue Tyres will be released in 27.5"?

Does anyone happen to know or may have heard something?...Read More »

2014 Bontrager Race Lites, XT rotors and Bontrager XR1 Team Issue tires..Sale price??

I'm going to sell my brand new wheelset off my 2014 Trek Superfly FS 9.8 SL. Does anyone know a fair price? I'm going with carbon rims and a more aggressive tire. Wheels- Bontrager Race Lite Tubeless Ready w/Stacked Lacing, 15mm front, 142x12 rear Tires- Bontrager XR1 Team Issue Tubeless ... Read More »

Raleigh Team Issue

I recently purchased a raleigh mtb on craigslist, the guy said it was owned and raced by the guy who's name is on the frame (Gordon Hanscom). I am having trouble finding any info on it, there is no serial number on the bottom bracket, it looks to be the original paint and I can't see where it has ... Read More »