Nightsun Team Issue Lights

• Mounting System: long arm quick release

• Review Options:  Sorted by Latest Review | Sort by Best Rating

Submitted by Lou a Weekend Warrior from Waretown, NJ USA

Date Reviewed: November 21, 2006

Strengths:    Simple to mount, Tough design, Bright light, run times at 2 plus hours..A good price & good value.

Weaknesses:    Changing bulbs can be trickey.

Bottom Line:
    I have used the Nightsun Team Issue Dual Beam lamp for 10 years. I am on my original set & I finally after 10 years have to replace the battery. I have gone thru 2 sets of bulbs which can be a little trickey to change but you have to realize that I have had these lamps for 10 years. For the price of the battery I will probably just buy a new set though I could get away with just a battery. I can not complain at all about these lights. Having them for 10 yrs. they owe me absolutely nothing. I am sure there may be better lamps out there but for my money you can't go wrong with Nightsun. If you're thinking about getting them just do it! I highly recommend these lights.

Favorite Trail:   Ridge Trail,,,Wells Mills Park

Purchased At:   Nightsun online

Bike Setup:   2003 Giant Iguana Disc...Stock setup

Submitted by Peter a Weekend Warrior from Lakeland, FL, USA

Date Reviewed: October 20, 2005

Strengths:    Runtime, quality construction

Weaknesses:    NiCad battery technology, mounting strap failure

Bottom Line:
    I've used this light for almost 10 years. It's been with me riding in north and middle Georgia to Florida. The original battery (amazingly) still has about 60% capacity; and the bulbs still burn as bright as when I purchased the light. If I were to approximate time used, it would be around 250-300 hours. Albeit, I've grown into a sedentary lifestyle and mountain biking has drifted into memory, the NightSun Team Issue is still up for any impromptu night rides I can muster. Kudos goes to NightSun for constructing a quality product with excellent long-term use.

Purchased At:   Don't remember

Bike Setup:   1995 to present - Barracuda hardtail, XTR, mavic rims, RockShox Judy XL
    1993 to 1995 - Yeti Ultimate RockShox Mag21, XT, Bullseye crankset, Bullseye hubs

Submitted by G M a Weekend Warrior from Houston, TX

Date Reviewed: April 5, 2004

Strengths:    Well made, outstanding reliability

Weaknesses:    Battery connectors could be better, but I've had no operational problems with them

Bottom Line:
    I bought my first Team Issue light about 8 years ago & it still works. I've replaced one bulb one time & the battery croaked years ago. Actually, the charger failed first & I called to buy a new charger & was told that the charger died because the battery was 5 years old & was bad.

I was told that a new battery & charger was about $150, but that they offered a special deal for previous owners & would sell me a new Team Issue system for $150 which I thought was reasonable. So, having two bikes, I bought a new Team Issue system. That system is at least 3 years old today & has worked flawlessly. The battery is thus far still good.

I did detect a little of the sarcasm in the voice of the Nightsun person I called regarding my old battery & charger, but I was friendly & the other guy offered to make me a better deal on a new unit. All in all, the lights have been excellent performers & I would probably buy from them again. Their HID light looks tempting.

For my older light, I bought a $15 rechargeable 12 volt sealed lead acid battery from Home Depot used for emergency exit signs & a $5 under seat bag from Academy to cary it in. The battery weighs about the same as the water bottle battery & is about the size of 2 packs of cigarettes. Its a 5 Amp-hour battery & works great. I charge it with a $5 12 volt 300ma power supply from Radio Shack. I reused the original battery cable from the old battery.

Purchased At:   From Nightsun

Similar Products Used:   Cateye

Bike Setup:   Nashiki transition bike

Submitted by Stephan a Cross Country Rider from Washington

Date Reviewed: December 12, 2002

Strengths:    Bright, good beam pattern

Weaknesses:    Expensive, Not weatherproof, replacement parts are expensive, battery and connectors are poorly constructed, charger didn't last a year.

Bottom Line:
    The battery on this light didn't last long. I used it for about a year In Alaska before the battery filled with water and corroded the connections and the battery cells. The Molex connections are cheap and not weather resistant at all. I replaced them about 6 times since I've owned the light. The bulbs last quite a while, but are expensive to replace. The high/low beam toggle switch also had corrosion problems and had to be replaced. The mounts for the light and switch are a joke, they're pretty much just cable clamps. I wouldn't but another NightSun product unless I lived in an area where it never rained.

Favorite Trail:   Foothills

Purchased At:   Elkays bicycles

Bike Setup:   Sandvik titanium, XT,XTR, mavic
    Klein Rascal Full XT

Submitted by Pete from Oahu, HI

Date Reviewed: November 10, 2002

Strengths:    Bright! Bright! Bright! Relatively inexpensive.

Weaknesses:    Electrical connections are not dependable - light(s) tend to blink off during rough conditions. I use it for commuting, so I've been able to get by with it.

Bottom Line:
    Not dependable enough to justify either buying another Nitesun or recommending this brand to another.

Purchased At:   mail order