Nightlightning iBlaast Lights

4.83/5 (6 Reviews)

The new iBlaast light has the control module intergrated to the light head (135gms). Suits both bar & helmet mounting. Dont let the price fool you, the iBlaast! has full function dimming, admin mode, flasher modes, fuel gauge & battery protect, and you can set the low, medium, & high (700ma or 1000ma) output levels with this model for personalised operation . First choice for MTB, road cyclists & commuters. Outfitted with P4 LEDs. The Kiwi is the switch. Made in New Zealand.

Submitted by JonahHobbes a Cross Country Rider from Wellington, Welly, New Zealand

Date Reviewed: April 25, 2009

Strengths:    This light will survive in all cycling conditions, with multiple and I mean hundreds,(so far), of recharges. There is no other light that I've tried that has lasted this long and as you see below I've tried most.

Light is very bright and clear and can light up the landscape like no other. Good range of beams and includes Blinky mode for seriously overcast conditions.

Really light in weight.

Weaknesses:    I found the lead from light to battery a little long - yes that's the only gripe :)

Bottom Line:
Not just for MTBiking. I use this 5 days a week and run it for over 45mins in all conditions, all year round. If you commute this is the light for you.

Don't bother wasting your money on other pricey expensive Lighting systems, I've been there they don't last, this one does. I hope they make these forever.

Favorite Trail:   coming home

Purchased At:   via manufacturer

Similar Products Used:   Cateye, Vision Stick, Nite Flux, Nite Pro, Smart Battery, Home-made 12volt DIY lights.

Bike Setup:   Salsa La Cruz set up as a Commuter. Old Giant MTB Winter commuter. Top Trek MTB for MTBiking.

Submitted by grahamt a Cross Country Rider from Christchurch, NZ

Date Reviewed: March 21, 2009

Strengths:    Excellent Light Output
Now with Cree R2 LED's - even brighter still
Now has adjustable helmet mount
Professional high quality build.
Adjustable light output settings.
Upgradeable.
Light.
Absolutely best light output for your $$ - easly outshines the opposition.
Eric and Claire provide great product support
Local product (for me in NZ!)
Can chose own batteries.

Weaknesses:    None - new i-Blaast II even better - now has adjustable helmet mount, which was the only minor criticism of the original i-=Blaast.

Bottom Line:
These lights are AWESOME!

I bought my i-Blaast set 2 years ago. They are built locally, so I am able to deal directly with the manufacturer. This year had the Seoul P4's upgraded to the new Cree R2, so now is even brighter still. Easily brighter than Light and Motion HID's.

Absolutely blow all others away. My Triple Shot was particularly dissapointing.

Bottom line - look no further. These are the best you will get!

Favorite Trail:   Port Hills

Night Lightning i-Blaast I

Bike Setup:   i-Blaast I - upgraded with Cree R2 LED's to i-Blaast II specs

Submitted by ross mepham a Cross Country Rider from Napier New Zealand

Date Reviewed: July 12, 2008

Strengths:    Strong white light with good beam spread and distance

Bottom Line:
Great product, Great service and support, used my old battery so only needed the lamp fitting itself.
Get 4 to 6 hours out of my NiMH battery instead of 2 hours on the halogen setup

Favorite Trail:   Split Enz Rotorua

Purchased At:   Direct from Night Li

Similar Products Used:   Nightlightning Digital Ruby Halogen

Bike Setup:   08 S-Works stumpjumper

Submitted by Mutantclover a Cross Country Rider from Idaho

Date Reviewed: July 4, 2008

Strengths:    Robust, excellent finish on light head, programmable, let me use my own battery, doesn't overheat, upgradable diodes, battery life indicator built into light head (which is a big help with using aftermarket batteries--most light manufacturers put the battery indicator on the battery).

Weaknesses:    I use it helmet-mounted with the velcro (which is way stronger than normal velcro) that came with it, and am happy with the angle. I used just a couple layers of super sticky tape to slightly modify the surface of my helmet and it points just where I want it. However the angle would be tough to adjust from here on out, and that might bother some people. But for me, this is actually not a weakness as the velco mount is simple and works. On the one hand the velcro holds it very firmly, yet I think if it got caught in a tree branch the velcro would let it go before my neck is injured. Bottom line: ask for a little extra velcro from nightlightning because this particular velco is very scarce, that way if your initial setup is the wrong angle, you can redo it with a new velcro strip.

Bottom Line:
This is a great light from a small company that will help you in the future with extra parts or issues you may have. I couldn't find any other manufacturers that were as good of a value (this was in early 07, since then I believe many have sprung up). The fact that it is upgradable (each LED typically seems to run about 8 bucks, so when new ones come out, you can switch out for 24 dollars) is reassuring. The lamp is bright enough for me as is, however... I find that the brightness setting I use roughly matches which chainring I'm in, low power for granny, medium for the middle ring, and high for descending/big ring. Running on high all the time, I find, burns my eyes out unneccessarily fast. So realistically I could easily achieve 6 hours of run time with my battery that is perhaps 1/3 larger than a pack of cards. Impressive. The beam, I think, is perfect for my use, helmet-mounted with no auxiliary bar light. There are no obvious distortion marks, just a good gradient on the beam and the right size bright area. But that reflector, like the diodes, is customizable when ordering and can be interchanged by yourself.

Favorite Trail:   new ones

Purchased At:   direct from Nightlig

Bike Setup:   I have the IBlaast with 3x Seoul P4's. I have a 4-cell LiIon, 14.8v, 2400mah "powerizer" battery pack from batteryspace. I soldered a common snap-connector (tamiya) to the battery, charger, and lamp, and that's all the work I needed to do to set up. If you do the math, 14.8V/9W*2.4=3.95 hours of run time (on high setting). Thats pretty good especially because I don't need to use high very often, and my battery is a lot smaller, lighter, and cheaper than anything else out there since it has no case other than a shrink-wrap.

Submitted by Rob a Cross Country Rider from Charleston, SC

Date Reviewed: January 7, 2008

Strengths:    Relatively cheap headlight for lumen output. Good design. Excellent light output and dispersion. Fairly light weight.

Weaknesses:    Helmet attachment not the greatest.

Bottom Line:
This light rocks. Have used it twice, once on helmet and once on handlebars. Helmet mounting did not work because I could not adjust the light properly to get the beam were it needed to be. Used an old mount from another light to mount on handlebars. Worked great. Very bright light, no hotspot. Combined with Dinotte 200 on helmet for spot work on turns and switchbacks. Took exactly one week to ship from New Zealand. Talked several times through e-mail to Eric and Claire at Nightlightning. Very satisfied. One of the great things about them is they are willing to allow you to purchase light seperately from batteries. Eric even made a serial loom for me two use my two old Li-ions to get to 14.8v.

Purchased At:   Direct from Nightlightning

Similar Products Used:   Dinotte 200 and VistaLite Halogen

Submitted by Woodyak from Rockport, MA

Date Reviewed: December 19, 2007

Strengths:    Sharp looking light. Very bright w/a perfect amount of spread. Upgradeable. Lightweight. Great price.

Weaknesses:    Velcro mounts are a bit primitive but they work.

Bottom Line:
I was pleasantly suprised when I came across this light. My TT HID bulb died on me along w/the ballast mid ride during prime night riding season so I had to get a replacement. My options were to get a brand new system, repair the TT HID system, or go with the IBlaast re-using my TT LI-ION battery. So I got the IBlaast and I am very happy.

The light itself is very nicely built. It's very lightweight. It's about half the weight of my TT HID. The switch/driver is built into the back of the light housing, which makes it very easy to turn and off while on your helmet. You can prgram the light for either high, medium,low or just high and low and you can adjust the brightness of each setting. You can also adjust the power that the driver draws from the battery. They included a higher draw option that is reserved for brighter bulbs so that you can upgrade going forward.

As far the actual beam goes it's a very nice spread and very bright. I tested it side by side against a brand new TT HID and Niterider HID and the IBlaast was slightly brighter. The charge time with my 14.8v battery is rated for 6 hours. I haven't actually tested that yet so I cannot confirm. I have gone 4 hours w/o reaching the warning sound.

The mounting system uses double sided velcro. They send you some spare peices so you can make it fit whatever helmet you have. Not the best system but it works just fine.

The price is what really grabbed my attention. I knew LED was the future but I didn't want to spend $400+ on a brand new system. I also don't have the patience for a DIY type of thing. Night Lighting doesn't force you to buy their entire package. You can buy whatever parts you need to get your system off the ground. In my case I just bought the pre-wired lamp and re-used my existing battery and connectors. All that it took to get it working was to solder 2 wires.

Overall I'm very happy with this light and would recommend it to anyone in the market.

Favorite Trail:   Gspot