Magicshine MJ-808 Lights

3.97/5 (78 Reviews)

The Magicshine MJ-808 bicycle light is the cheapest high power bike light available in the UK. At 900 lumens, the P7 LED bike light is brighter than a car headlight and 20 times brighter than ordinary bike lights. Turning night into day, it allows you to ride as quickly at night as during the day, as our reviews testify! Easily mounted to your bike in less than a minute, the lighthead offers you a choice of power mode including an SOS flashing mode. The clicky switch at the rear of the head also contains colour coded LEDs which change colour from green, to blue, to yellow, finally turning red when you run dangerously low on power. Then it'squos time to select the 'get me home' power mode using minimal power to ensure you reach your destination in safety.

Submitted by Eric Anderson

Date Reviewed: January 30, 2013

Strengths:    Extremely bright.

Weaknesses:    Narrow pattern.

Bottom Line:
Took foul-mouthed Eddie's advice (why is it considered cool to uses profane words we thought were cool when we were ten?) and bought mine from Dino Direct. Used it five times in just over a month and now the switch doesn't work at all. Light comes on when I connect to the battery--goes off when I disconnect. Bought another unit for my daughter's boyfriend (before first one malfunctioned) and this light came with a charger that is for European outlets! Can't even charge the battery!!

Submitted by Burned Cookie a Cross Country Rider

Date Reviewed: January 11, 2013

Strengths:    Strong and initially good light. Easy attachment on the bike helmet, came with hold for the bike handle as well, as well as the (uncomfortable) head strap.

Weaknesses:    Dangerous: no warning of low battery. Overheating. Short battery life and unacceptably short battery life after a while. For the quality, not woth a single cent.

Bottom Line:
Dangerous: no warning that the battery is low. For a moment, you are blind when the light goes off. This caused some falls, until I started using much better light of another producer (and also much pricier) with a warning for more risky activities. The battery life fades away very fast. For a season, it was at about 2 hours. After the summer, when the kit was resting, the light would not be turned on at max light for more than 5 minutes - apparently due to overheating (another weakness!). Then, again, it switches off without warning. Lovely! Not much else to do, I started using it on lowest possible level. This level lasted only for less than an hour, which is shorter than my daily bike commute. If anyone needs a spare battery that lasts less than an hour, here is mine for free (but you need to cover the postage). All in all, I used this for 1.5 winters. Not worth it. Opt for more quality, as it will last longer and you wont pollute the environment with batteries. If you ever rely on this light, have a light spare lamp in your pocket (like Tikka XP2, my favorite) and never ever use it while skiing downill or cycling on a busy road at night. Remember, your safety is worth a bit more investment than saving on a light, opting for one that goes off at whenever!

Favorite Trail:   Oslo-Sandvika-Oslo

Purchased At:   Birk Sport, Oslo, No

Submitted by Joe Clifford a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: January 10, 2013

Strengths:    Light.

Strong.

The 808U is now 1100 lumens so a nice little brightness boost.

828 Digital battery is very useful.

Cheap

Weaknesses:    Not as bright as my mate 880u but half the price!

Bottom Line:
After having the original 808 for almost 3 years, it finally gave way after taking a big tumble. I bent my Renthal handlebars so I can't blame the 3 year old light for giving way. After much debating and reading up I ended up with another 808 but this time the 'U' version (MJ-808U) which is rated at 1100 lumens. It's definitely brighter than my old one. It has the same construction as the previous one and if it lasts as long I will be very happy.

I got mine on recommendation from the guys at www.bikelumen.co.uk and it arrived next day!

They ship it standard with the 828 digital battery which has a much better mounting system and also it tells you exactly how much juice you've got in the battery.

So far I'm happy!

Duration Product Used:   1 month

Purchased At:   www.bikelumen.co.uk

Similar Products Used:   Regular 808, Old Hope and Cateye lights.

Bike Setup:   Yeti ASR5c

Submitted by FSR_Dude a Weekend Warrior

Date Reviewed: January 3, 2013

Strengths:    Inexpensive price, very bright per lumens, small size, simplicity, battery life has been about 3 hours on full charge at max. power.

Weaknesses:    Originally had issues with the China-made battery, however GeoMan Gear replaced their batteries with a U.S.-made one, which is of better quality/safety. The light spray is pretty good, but I think could be a little wider for trail safety. As MTBR iterated, this light does not put out 900 lumens, but more like 650-700, depending on your individual light -- so, some variance. However, again, for the price, this light is very hard to beat.

Bottom Line:
This light is bright enough to use for pretty much any riding conditions, unless you ride extremely fast and need more power and a wider light spray. The battery life is good, and the light system is very easy to use. The rubber gaskets work fine to secure the light on your handlebar, top tube, or with the add'l extension on your seat tube. I use one light on my bars, and one on my helmet, and this is plenty enough light for me. As my friend always says, you can never have enough lights for night riding, and I agree.

Favorite Trail:   Santa Monica Mtns

Duration Product Used:   3+ hours

Purchased At:   GeoMan Gear

Bike Setup:   2007 Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Comp.

Submitted by Andrew a Cross Country Rider

Date Reviewed: November 5, 2012

Strengths:    It's really bright compared to ordinary lights.

Weaknesses:    It's terrible, I have not misused it. To be exact, I used mine 3 times only and now it doesn't work anymore.

Bottom Line:
Don't buy it.

The setting of this bulb is High - Low - Blink (High) - OFF. So if you're riding at night and someone passes by, out of courtesy, I put it on the low setting, but if you want to put it back on high, you have to turn your lights to blink then off before you can light it up again. It's not practical.

Submitted by Virginia Sybert

Date Reviewed: October 31, 2012

Strengths:    fabulous light. Can see everything and price point would be terrific if it held up

Weaknesses:    I have NOT misused this light and I have had to replace it once because of problems with cable from light and now, after less than a month of minimal use, the cable is again not working and light will light but goes out with slightest movement. Company says due to mishandling (not) or to repetitive use (also not, but repetitive use is how a light is used! What, only take it out on bank holidays? Very very disappointed.

Bottom Line:
Absolutely not reliable

Submitted by burtronix a Weekend Warrior

Date Reviewed: October 30, 2012

Strengths:    This is for the 2013 model MJ-808U.
-Very bright in a light weight package.
-Nice light pattern with a very bright spot surrounded by a wide even flood. This is done with a single LED & a single reflector, but the reflector has an orange-peel pattern to difuse the flood.
-Good color, almost yellow compared to older MagicShine models (they have a slight bluish or purple cast), but looks pure white on it's own.
-Glowing colors on the light switch indicate remaining charge: green 100-75%, blue 75-50%, yellow 50-30%, red 30-5%, flashing red <5%.
-O-ring handlebar mount is light weight, simple, & secure.
-3 hours to charge gives 3 hours of full-power light, longer usage on lower power settings.
-3 power levels to choose from.
-Light weight powerful battery package, mounts with velcro to bar, stem, or frame.
-Lots of available accessories. I'll probably be buying a helmet mount soon.
-Costs about half compared to lights with similar power & features.
-1100 rated lumens in the 2013 model. Previous 808 models were 800-1000 lumens. In use I don't see a big difference compared to my friends' older models, but this only cost a couple bucks more.

Weaknesses:    -No strobe mode. If you want a flashing light, get one of the older MagicShine models. I don't need it.
-Remote handle-bar switch accessory does not work with this model - only available with one of the mult-light kits. This would be nice in combination with the helmet mount.
-The handle-bar mount does not swivel, so the light aims slightly to the side. A swivel would have been heavier & more expensive, so this in an acceptable compromise (& the reason I want the helmet mount). You can buy a swivel mount that works for MagicShine from another company.

Bottom Line:
I checked out a lot of light brands & models, but this was the most bang-for-the-buck for any brand with a track record. I've had 2 rides with it so far & it performs flawlessly. Very easy to use.

Duration Product Used:   2 weeks

Purchased At:   Amazon

Similar Products Used:   Borrowed an older MagicShine MJ-808

Bike Setup:   2012 Giant Anthem X 29er 2

Submitted by inmysights

Date Reviewed: October 8, 2012

Strengths:    Price, but you get what you pay for

Weaknesses:    Thought I had a good bargain at first.... Rated at 900 lumens but not as bright as my 600 Dinotte's but that wasn't a big worry for 85 bucks who cares right - wrong.... Lasted five rides , yup that's it , green light glows but no light output so quality control is a real concern, should have put the money towards a reliable light and customer service. If you don't mind rolling the dice go ahead but be warned.

Bottom Line:
Stay away from this product, no customer service possible early failure

Submitted by DrB

Date Reviewed: September 21, 2012

Strengths:    The light is very bright and works excellant, I didn't give the product my whole endorsement because it is impossible to get the charger without buying a new light. I read a review by someone who stated you could get this for a lot less money, but BEWARE the cheaper versions, they are powered by a 4.8v battery, this unit has a 8.4v battery pack, doesn't sound like much, but the difference is hugh in time of operation and overall brightness I have both types of lights and the lower voltage, CREE mfg unit is nowhere near as good a quality system. This or the GoMarket system are far superior units, spend the few extra dollars and you will be much happier, I don't like the CREE unit I have at all, it sits in my bike bag collecting dust and copwebs. DrB

Weaknesses:    If you lose the charger you have to buy a whole new light to charge the battery, I've lost 2 chargers so far, and now I have to but another light, oh well so I'm a little forgetful, this is a good unit and I highly recommend it.

Bottom Line:
Buy one if you want to ride at night, or better yet get 2 and wear one on your helmet, it really works very well and I don't really even notice the helmet mounted unit until I look to the side, then I REALLY notice how much better I can see. DrB

Submitted by CS4 a Cross Country Rider

Date Reviewed: August 8, 2012

Strengths:    VERY BRIGHT!

Weaknesses:    Helmet mount can be a pain to get on the first time so just leave it.

Bottom Line:
I have had this light for 2 years now and have never had a problem. Very bright and has never left me out on a dark trail at night. My other riding buddies have gone to this light and extremely happy for the money compared to a name brand light. I could buy 4 of these for the price some guys pay for one light. Very happy with purchase!!

Submitted by Eddie v a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: May 24, 2012

Strengths:    Cool picture on the box

Weaknesses:    DON'T BE FOOLED. Magicshine can kiss my a s s ! This company will take your money like magic! It's a scam! But if u want to pay double .. go for it! It's your money.!! And u can give it to magiccrime..!

Bottom Line:
BE AWARE!!!! I hope u guys read this! This light is over priced! They say that this light is 90.00$ dollars retail? Check out this light called STARS® HA-III ! Google it if u have too! It's exact same light made by the chinese! I have two of these lights for the price of one! I got it for 45$ a piece! And I have two of them sent to me free shipping From dinodirect! I can't bEleave this company called magicbullshiitshine is ripping people off by doubling the price by putting a tiny magicshine logo on the light! I give magicshine 1 out of 10 for trying, I give the light itself 10 out of ten cos it is bright for 45$.,!! 45$ is the real price and u can proly find it for cheaper if u do more research ! I hope this help.! Don't buy magicshine they'll take your money like magic!

Favorite Trail:   Williamsburg trails in va

Purchased At:   Dinodirect online

Similar Products Used:   STARS®  HA-III is the EXACT same light for 45$. cords, lumens, box, charger, battery, and everything else is the same!

Bike Setup:   Downhill

Submitted by Victor

Date Reviewed: April 25, 2012

Strengths:    Wicked bright. O-rings are tricky but they hold securely.

Weaknesses:    External battery pack is heavy, helmet mount with light is pretty heavy, Cord in the front isn't practical, Cycling through Bright, Low, Strobe, Off is a poor design. Button on the back is difficult to press on the fly.

Bottom Line:
It casts an amazing amount of light, especially for the price. The available helmet mount makes it appear to be an option to mount it to your lid, but it is too heavy for regular use, in my opinion. The cables running out the front, then off the back to the battery, it's just too much weight and clutter.

Submitted by TiGeo a Cross Country Rider from Midlothian, VA

Date Reviewed: February 11, 2012

Strengths:    Cheap. Bright. Looks well constructed.

Weaknesses:    Not a fan of the wire exiting from the front of the light; also, this interferes with the O-ring mount. I think the light head shouldn't have a wire at all; just a female plug for the battery wire to plug in. I liked how my Vistalites had a coiled cable like a phone, helped take up slack when you are tryting to wrap it up on the bars/stem/top tube.

Bottom Line:
For $175 delivered I don't think you can beat this. I have the P7 LEDs, not the newer XM-Ls. I have 1 on the helmet and 1 on the bar; I also replaced the bar light's lens with the Action LED wide-angle, seems to help remove the hot spot. I can ride plenty fast with this set up. Haven't tested the battery life yet, but I rarely ride more than an hour so these will work just fine. May add a second bar light b/c they are so cheap.

Favorite Trail:   Pocohantas State Park

Purchased At:   Geomangear.com

Similar Products Used:   90's Vistalites 2x10w 1x15w halogen

Bike Setup:   Stumpy EVO 29 HT

Submitted by mtbatl11 a Weekend Warrior from Atlanta

Date Reviewed: February 6, 2012

Strengths:    very bright, great throw. Has a decent hotspot in the middle and the flood is big enough to illuminate all of your field of view. Price, fraction of other light with similar features. decent battery life.

Weaknesses:    the button functions are horrible. high, low, flash, off. to get back to high you have to turn the light off and back on. Very annoying and dangerous. Only 2 brightness levels (I don't include flash as a brightness setting like the manufacturer does).

Bottom Line:
Of the lights that Ive tested this is the best bang for the buck. there aren't any sub $100 lights that come even close to this one. It has a great blend of spot light and flood. Very bright, I mean don't look into it. it seriously could damage your eyes. haven't used it enough to fully evaluate durability, but the case looks very strong and well made and battery has a nice rubber casing to keep out moisture. As long as the electronic hold up in the light, I see this lasting a long time. Only major dis would be the button functionality and lack of 3 brightness settings. You should never have to turn off the light to cycle through the different light settings. You can hold for 2 seconds to turn the light off from any mode, why even have an 'off' available in the normal progression of button clicks. Also, having to go through flash is annoying. That should be a hold for 3 seconds function or something similar.

Favorite Trail:   Blankets

Similar Products Used:   none, first bike light. tested a bunch though.

Submitted by ruusta a Racer from branford, ct, usa

Date Reviewed: January 30, 2012

Strengths:    wow, freaking bright, inexpensive

Weaknesses:    has to be an eassier way to mount to helmet than an o-ring

Bottom Line:
4 of us went up for a 24 hour race in New Hampshire in 2010. I had an old handlebar mounted halogen set and a couple of other iders had some other newer systems,,i think from Lupine. Th 4th guy on our team had done a 24 hour race and brought 3 sets of these lights with extra batteries. He laughed at me when he saw my huge battery pack duck-taped in my water bottle cage and gave me one of his sets and I was amazed at how bright it was, the battery was small, maybe a little thicker than a deck of cards...I had just the one spot on my helmet and it was plenty of light, more than enough,,it was so great to be riding with that light. After the race, I bought my own light from Geomangear.com and my light has been great. They recently had a battery recall and geomangear replaced my battery for free and they were so great with the customer service. I saw all the latest and greatest lights at the 24 hour race and this one works just as well as the lupines and the other expensive lights..i cant comment on customer service of other places, but geomangear has always been great, they make sure you are 100% satisfied

Purchased At:   geomangear.com