Lupine Wilma 4 Lights

• Capacity control
  • Individual programming

Submitted by meloc a Weekend Warrior from Ireland

Date Reviewed: June 3, 2010

Strengths:    Super light, awesome service from Lupine.

Weaknesses:    Can't think of one. I love it.

Bottom Line:
I bought a Lupine Wilma 4 about four years ago. I use it on my daily commute -- a 10km through unlighted country roads. I was shocked at the price originally, but as the months and years of service and cycling pleasure built up, I knew I'd spent wisely.

Then the inevitable happened: the light broke down, apparently a fault in the switch. Although the guarantee was up, Lupine said they'd fix it anyway. I posted my Wilma to them one Tuesday and was told it would take 4 days to get to Germany. The next thing I heard was Friday, not to say my light had arrived, but a message from UPS saying it was on the way back!

I received it the following week, with everything working perfectly. The 'coup de grace' to Lupine's already awesome service was that a small clasp on the battery holder that I'd snapped years earlier (with all the Velcro the clasp isn't needed) had also been repaired.

So, an awesome bicycle light and even more awesome service.

Similar Products Used:   Other dodgy bike lights

Bike Setup:   On my helmet, best way to go.

Submitted by Rob White a Cross Country Rider from London

Date Reviewed: December 22, 2007

Strengths:    Bright

Weaknesses:    Mists up, Bracket poor

Bottom Line:
This light mists up even in dry conditions. It jumps up and down over bumps so I have to sticky tape it on every time. I contacted Lupine who sais they do mist up and gave me a complictated procedure to cure it, but it still mists up. They could not help me fix the bracket either. This is utter rubbish for the high price paid.

Favorite Trail:   Glentress

Purchased At:   Internet

Similar Products Used:   Cat Eye Tripleshot

Bike Setup:   Giant Anthem 1

Submitted by Braham a Weekend Warrior from Denton, TX

Date Reviewed: December 20, 2007

Strengths:    Quality, output (WOW!), weight, so simple. You can customise power output, reserve tank, etc. Good on the HB or Helmet. Compatibility between every Lupine component, upgrade Kits by Lupine(DIY)

Weaknesses:    no swivel to sides which could be a problem with some HB. I just use it close to the stem where my bar is flat (it's a Low riser)
I don't like very much the extension cable (maybe I'm picky) but it doesn't look as fancy as the rest of the components

Bottom Line:
I'm amazed by the light output of this puppy. The color is so smooth and pleasant, so even. I found the beam to be more narrow than the ARC which is extremelly wide but I like the color much more. It's difficult to describe in words. I run it at 60% most of the time to save battery and I'm pretty comfortable at this setting with my other helmet light (Dinotte 200L)
You can program the PVC switch almost for a wakeup alarm, it's amazing.
There are very good lights that cost half but the product is outstanding and if you have the opportunity, spend the cash.
The other good thing is that Lupine offer upgrades and everything they have is compatible so you can buy a bigger battery and not worry about the conectors or mounts like with other companies!!!

Purchased At:   trinity

Similar Products Used:   Jetlite phantom (Phenomenal), ARC Li-ion (awesome) and some cheap commuter Cateyes

Bike Setup:   5 inch trail bike

Submitted by Richard Tinley a Cross Country Rider from Lymington, Hampshire, UK

Date Reviewed: December 14, 2007

Strengths:    Bright, although too narrow beam

Weaknesses:    Lens fogging, Poor bracket with no adjustment and moves when riding rough ground, Poor after sales

Bottom Line:
I had to cobble the unit to my On-One Inbred with cable ties as the bracket has no adjustment left or right. Even though this is a brand new light, never used in wet conditions, the lens misted up to the extent that the light output was affected the first time it was used. This happens every time after about 20 minutes. When fitted to Trance, the light jumps up and down over rough ground. Although the light is a little brighter than my Cateye Tripleshot, it is a narrower beam. I prefer the wider beam from the Cateye. Besides which, the Cateye has PLENTY of light for serious off road use. I emailed Lupine who were unhelpful and in the end plain RUDE. I have now got my money back and will save it for the next generation of Cateye!!!

Favorite Trail:   Afan Skyline

Similar Products Used:   Cateye Triple shot, which is a much better product

Bike Setup:   Giant Trance 1 and On0One Inbred

Submitted by Peter Barlow from Penn Bucks UK

Date Reviewed: November 9, 2007

Bottom Line:
Posted - 09 November 2007 : 09:31:20 AM

I've a Wilma 4. I had a real good look at all the Wilmas (4,6,8). For the money and performance for the type of riding I do, i.e I dont do allnight rides solo and am very unlikly to either. But 3/4 hours on a club ride the Wilma 4 was the best bet. All the reviews were good and most said that it was the top light. The Wilma 4 lasts 3 / 4 hours easy and throws a great light pattern.It is a very clever light with no sudden switch off or flashing. You have the ability to "Tune" the light to what ever level of lighting you want i,e 50% for commuting and 100% for off-road with all sorts of things in between,S-O-S-flash and something called "superflash" which emits a super bright light for when the helecopters looking for you in the dark. It also has a "get you home,reserve tank".The fitting kit is the easy'st and most stable I have used. It has a smart charger which means you wont mess up the very small and light battery,which fixes to the frame. So you leave your bottle carriers free for drinks etc.I got mine off E-Bay, brand new,all the bits in a sealed box for about £230.There is a kit to convert a Wilma 4 to a 6 which costs about £70 and gives you two more led's. Possible upgrade in the future perhaps. Check out the reviews on mbr.co.uk.Pete :-)

Submitted by Phil a Racer from Medway, Kent, UK

Date Reviewed: October 24, 2007

Strengths:    Ssssssssso powerful

Weaknesses:    Cost

Bottom Line:
Got this today, (actually the wilma 6 version) charged it - put it on the bike and went out into the night - I was with 3 other guys and didn't fire it up at first just to get aclimatized to the amount of light being produced by their bikes. After a couple of minutes of following behind i turned the light on and WOW!!! The other guys all stopped as they thought a car was about to hit them - such was the strength of the beam from this amazing light.
The spread of the beam is ideal for road riding, i don't know about off road, as i'm not into that kind of racing, but the reach was ample. I did find myself looking at the light on the road and ignoring everything else, bit like rabbit in the headlights type thing, but i'm sure this novelty will wear off :-)
Not often you buy something that actually exceeds your expectations, (and believe me i was expecting a lot, after reading virtually every blog and review i could find) but this is one of those rare occassions when you blow a whole load of money, but feel justified after the fact.
Expensive - sure
Well made - defo

would i recommend it - If you've got the cash, or room on your credit card - DO IT.

Favorite Trail:   Smooth tarmac

Purchased At:   cyclestore.co.uk

Bike Setup:   Specialized Roubaix

Submitted by Mark Harris a Cross Country Rider from Wellington, New Zealand

Date Reviewed: June 25, 2007

Strengths:    Best lighting (830 lumens - HID equivalent), long burn times, low weight, ulta reliable, mains & 12V charging.

Weaknesses:    Cost.

Bottom Line:
Lots of money, but light=safety and reliabilty=more time riding.

Favorite Trail:   Ridgeline

Purchased At:   www.asutsitrail.com

Similar Products Used:   Use with a 3W LED headlamp as backup (never needed yet)

Bike Setup:   Trance 1

Submitted by Mike Kuhn a Racer from Allentown, PA, USA

Date Reviewed: January 17, 2007

Strengths:    Color of light, system weight, system size, mounting ease and simplicity, charge and burn times, remote -- overall a very well designed and thought out product

Bottom Line:
Very Sweet light system from great group of guys. I've been lucky to know the crew at GretnaBikes for a little while and have had the opportunity to try several of the Lupine systems in past. The Wilma 4 plain rocks and may be my favorite. Though not the most powerful of the Lupines, the Wilma 4's complete package is perfect combo of weight, power, simplicity, and cost.

I mount the entire light system to the bars and stem - light, remote, and battery with nothing attached to anything but the cockpit. How great is that? No wires to the frame. No bag in the way of bottles. The system is so light weight I hardly notice that the entire system is on the bars. The bulb whiteness and beam pattern are spot on (I do out run this light once in a while, but I'm really moving when I do). The ease of mounting and the ingeniously simple quick release make transfer between bikes/removal/installation a snap. The remote gives you all the pertinent info so you can get out of the woods with some light left and the remote mount is as nice as the light. All this from an LED light system.

You won't find a better similarly powerful light from anyone --- give the guys at GretnaBikes.com a yell and get one for yourself.

Favorite Trail:   I'm easy

Purchased At:   GretnaBikes.com

Similar Products Used:   NiteRider HID, NightSun halogen, NiteRider halogen

Bike Setup:   Fisher Ziggaurart w/ SRAM/RockShox/Avid package

Submitted by Bob a Cross Country Rider from Edmonton, Alberta

Date Reviewed: November 13, 2006

Strengths:    Works in the cold. Ability to compensate for cold or aging batteries. Very important where I live. Keeps setting between usages. Very light weight. Lots of user options. Unreal runtime on lowest settings. 24 to 30 hours.Can be upgraded as LED technology improves. High setting is brighter than 15 watt halogens. Simple mounting. "Super flash" mode is great in heavy traffic.

Weaknesses:    Cost.

Bottom Line:
This is the Leica of bike lights.
Works in the cold. Tough. The battery pack is the size of my Alien toolkit.
Get the switch holder accessory. extra protection for the switch.
The money I've spent over the years, trying to find something to work, could have paid for this.
Recent improvements in LED's [Cree's] mean's the end of end of halogen and HID's for portable use.
Works as advertised.

Favorite Trail:   river valley

Purchased At:   gretna bikes

Similar Products Used:   Cateye, blt's with modifications. niterider digital nite owl. warm weather designed Battery protection circuits cause premature shutdowns on rides even though the batteries do have the juice to do the job.

Bike Setup:   Lightning Phantom recumbent setup for commuting/touring. studded Nokians for winter commuting.

Submitted by jeff Oatley a Racer from Fairbanks, AK, USA

Date Reviewed: April 4, 2006

Strengths:    Versatility, Power, Quality

Weaknesses:    None that I can find

Bottom Line:
This light is amazing!! It is a tool and a very good one. Easily the best light I have ever used.

It is extremely bright at its highest power setting...comparable to the low power setting on any HID light. Plus it can be programmed to run at reduced output levels which can stretch the run times to ridiculous legths.

If you are looking for one light that you can use for 24 hour racing, recreational dirt riding, adventure racing, commuting...whatever you can think of, THIS IS THE ONE.

Favorite Trail:   The Iditarod Trail

Purchased At:   Gretnabike.com

Similar Products Used:   Niterider, Light & Motion, Vicious Power, Cateye, Princeton Tec, Petzl...just about everything out there.

Bike Setup:   Ti Hardtail

Lupine Tesla/Wilma 4/5 or Exposure Toro/Maxx-D

I was contemplating either a Lupine Tesla or an Exposure Enduro Maxx however have just seen the 2010 exposure models including the Toro. Anyway both are similar in terms of output, price and weight. The simple aproach of the exposure is swinging it at the moment as I like uncluttered idea. I als ... Read More »

Wilma 4 helmet mounted.

Hi everybody! :thumbsup: Here are some photos of my Wilma 4 mounted on a MET Kaos Ultimate helmet. Total weight is 530grs. This is lighter than my previous set up, Hope Vison2/Bell Slant helmet, but with 830 lumens and nearly 3 hrs duration. I also had a Stella unit(great weight and output) but m ... Read More »

Wilma expected to strengthen into Category 4 hurricane, 130 mph, into the Gulf Friday

link:[URL=http://www.latimes.com/news/nationworld/nation/la-na-wilma19oct19,0,3931368.story?coll=la-home-nation]Hurricane Wilma Strengthens, Turns Deadly in Haiti[/URL] MIAMI -- Hurricane Wilma triggered mudslides that killed up to 10 people in Haiti as the season's record-tying 21st storm stren ... Read More »