Lupine Passubio Lights

4.8/5 (10 Reviews)

Passubio - the outstanding lightweight with more capacity! An excellent way to illuminate your trip. Unbeatable handy with a powerful beam and ready to be of the party at all your tours. Complete Lighting System with a handlebar mounted PowerControlSystem PCS 007, NiMH or NICD rechargeable battery softcase and automatic charger The palladium-coated reflector of this lighting system guarantees a very high efficiency and ingenious lighting characteristic. Our unique, ultra durable krypton halogen bulb provides an extremely bright light with a color temperature of 3400 K.

Submitted by Eduardo a Weekend Warrior from Monterrey, NL Mexico

Date Reviewed: November 23, 2006

Strengths:    Lightweight, programable switch, LiIon battery,... this light is a piece of engineering art

Weaknesses:    Price

Bottom Line:
I read a lot of reviews in this site to buy my light sets, since these where my first ones. I needed two lights because I ride with my son, so I bought the DiNotte Ultra 5, because it is feather weight and I got a great deal from them, and the Passubio XC.
I have to say that I was really tempted to try the Jet Lite, based the excellent reviews from this site, and the Best Of award that it holds. Also, at $265 it is listed at a lower price than the Passubio XC.
I started with doubts because I wanted the option to install the light either at my helmet or in the handlebar, and this option came with a tag of $35 from Jet Lites, so the price was not an advantage anymore.
Fortunately for me, I opted for the Lupine light. For the price, I received both installing options, a beautifully finished and very bright light, a LiIon battery that weights less than a half of Jet Lites' battery, a programmable (and smart) light switch and the battery charger.
This light is the entry level from Lupine, but it is a remarkable piece of engineering: monting the light and battery is a breeze, the water cage is free to have water on it, adjusting the angle of the light while riding is easy and the position is kept. The light switch comes preconfigured with two levels, but you can change it to have three levels, or even to work as a dimmer! It also tells you the battery charge when it is connected.
I have to recommend the editors to take a look at this light, I am sure that you will reconsider your selection of the best light available once you use it. I couldn't find any advantage of the Jet Lite over the Passubio XC: It is heavier, it has a NiMH battery and the swith is not configurable.

Favorite Trail:   Chipinque

Purchased At:   GretnaBikes

Similar Products Used:   DiNotte Ultra 5 (Super lightweight!)

Bike Setup:   SC Heckler, Fox Talas RLC, ... who cares?

Submitted by william a Cross Country Rider from lebanon

Date Reviewed: December 20, 2005

Strengths:    16 watt at 18 degree, now only 330 total weight as all 2006 lupines all switched to lithium ion....4.5 aH battery in soft case mounts well to helmet or bars at high beam 2 hrs. burn time....at 6 watt low 4hrs easy...2 year warranty

Weaknesses:    must buy helmet mount seperately, until 2007 all lupines will come stock with helmet mounts.

Bottom Line:
i think when comparing weight of light to power lumen output....nothing comes close.....top quality lithium ion battery has 5 to 6 year shelf life...then throw in the 2 year warranty all for only $320.....it's a good deal.

Purchased At:   gretnabikies.com

Bike Setup:   gretnabikes rothrocker with helmet mount.....edison 10 on the bars.....

Submitted by Jaime a Downhiller from Lancaster, PA U.S.A

Date Reviewed: November 5, 2004

Strengths:    The battery time, how bright the light gets, wide veiw, it has different settings from high bema to low beam,

Weaknesses:    I haven't found it yet

Bottom Line:
I was up at my retirement/vacation home in Lubec Maine near the Canadian border. Lubec Maine happens to be as far north, and as far east as you can get on the Maine coast. It's fifty miles from the nearest traffic light and the graduating class has a whopping twelve people. I guess you could say it is in the middle of freakin nowhere.

I was riding onto Cambabello Island, in Canada one night at about 11:30. This island has lots of trails to ride on that lead to different beaches and overlooks all over the island. As I was about five miles in, I came to a small village with some teengers hanging out. They all started screaming as I went by. I thought nothing of it and just kept on riding. I rode another three miles or so to check out the west Quadyhead light house on a full moon at high tide. Hung out for a while watched the stars for a while and then headed back. When I got to the place where the teenagers were hanging out before, they started screaming again. I decided since I was going to be living close by some day, I saw no harm in going back and meeting some of the locals.

During casual conversation with them, they confessed that the first time I went by they thought I was an alien or some sort of newage crazy vehicle that made no sound; like a government experiment or something. They had never seen anything like it.

I really enjoy having my Lupine Passubio. I bought it from Bill at gretnabikes.com about a year and a half ago. The passubio has never let me down and I would recommend it to anyone. I do two night rides a week on average, and have used it year round for freeride snowboarding up in the white mountains. This light has really changed my life and I would like to get another one soon.

Favorite Trail:   Any trail that's offroad

Purchased At:   www.gretnabikes.com

Similar Products Used:   cats eye halogen, the brackets are a pain, the still falls off

Bike Setup:   2004 Kona Cowan, 2004 Marzocchi Z1 freeride with the ETA. This bike is set up for freeriding, they didn't have that catagory to choose from when they asked what style of riding I do.

Submitted by Marjan Tkavc a Cross Country Rider from Slovenia

Date Reviewed: June 10, 2004

Strengths:    Does excellent what it is supposed to do

Bottom Line:
Dear Lupine (Mike) and anyone interested,

I bought my Passubio in December 2003 and since it is a bit custom I can give you some hands on experience. And I have some questions as well at the end.

I ordered Passubio XC with 25 W SR 12 deg lamp with headband and bike helmet mount with just one longer extension cable. Since I want more light power and I don't need more than an hour of burning time I went for 25W. And I thought that the pattern (as can be check out at the Light Test here on the website) of SR 12 was nicer than the normal HP 20.

I don't really know why, but my order came with both bulbs (SR 12 and HP 20) and the final price was even a bit lower than expected. I guess that this was because of a little "time consuming" process of ordering - it took two months for me to get the lamp! I was in the dark up to Christmass. Anyway I am glad that I was patient, since the product is of very high quality as I had expected because of a higher price tag.

As for the burn time, we expected 1 hour and 5 to 10 min. Well, it is even a bit better that that - 1 h 15 min even at temperatures down to minus 10 deg Celsius!

As for the bulbs, there is not that huge difference though. For MTB the HP 20 is better because of a higher speed. I can ride DH as fast as in daytime! But for XC skiing the SR 12 is better because the speed is lower and you get to see better the closer terrain.

As mentioned above I bought the headband and the helmet mount as well. They are both excellent. I fixed the helmet mount higher up on the helmet, so that it doesn't force the helmet with its weight too much down on my forehead. I found out that the helmet position is much better that the handlebar position of the lamp. Besides very well known up and downsides of both possibilities, it seams that my Passubio gives better light if on the helmet above my eyes. I just had it once on the handlebar and it was much worse.

We had quite a snow cover this winter, so I did a lot of XC skiing and off piste skiing and most of it with the help of my Passubio. The headband works perfect. It is much better than the standard climbing Petzl lamp headband. And changing from the headband to the helmet is a breeze.

The Passubio battery pack is small and light enough. I keep it in my camelbak backpack during MTB and in my anorak pocket or waist pack during skiing.

Yes, Passubio does disturb the signal from my HRM (Cardiosport), which I have mounted on my handlebar, if the lamp is mounted on the handlebar as well - each on one side of the stem.

Favorite Trail:   Pohorje

Purchased At:   lupine.de

Bike Setup:   Ti+Marzzochi

Submitted by Simon Lees a Cross Country Rider from Stoke-on-Trent

Date Reviewed: February 18, 2004

Strengths:    Very bright white beam.
Hardly weighs anything.
Long burn time.
Micro LED's on control switch.
Works well as a helmet mounted light.
Smart charger looks after battery so you don't have to.
Easy to mount using O-ring, no screws or brackets (good for those with more than 1 bike).

Weaknesses:    Bit pricey but the best lights for that price range when compared to the features and burn time of others.

Bottom Line:
An excellent light that it small and bright enough for use on road or off-road. Excellent build quality and useful design features. The control switch is easy to use and the low battery warning LED's will warn you when most of the power ha gone. Suprisingly no other light systems come with a proper battery guage like these do meaning you have to guess. The 15 minute reserve tank is also handy for getting back home although the battery lasts long enough for most night rides at 2 hours anyway. The smart charger is also an excellent inclusion keeping the battery at full charge without damaging it.
When it comes to performance they work a lot better using the neat helmet mount on twisty singletrack and stashing the battery in a jersey pocket. The beam is plenty bright and broad enough especially on helmets where it is most effective.
Overall a worthy substitute of a more expensive HID system such as Stadiums or Edisons that can be just as effective.

Purchased At:   Stonefield Cycles

Similar Products Used:   Smart lights - 2.4/10W.

Bike Setup:   Trek 8500 03'. Fox Float, Bontrager, Fire XC's, XT/XTR, Hayes, 959's, Flite saddle.

Submitted by Neil a Racer from London

Date Reviewed: February 13, 2004

Strengths:    Bright light, lightweight, very easy to mount, quick charger, multiple light levels

Weaknesses:    First product had faulty lead from batteries to lamp

Bottom Line:
Very good first impression except for a faulty lead on first product. However quickly replaced by Wiggle and replacement seems to work fine.
Light on 25W setting is very bright - if anything too bright for road use. Still I bought the light to ensure I was seen by inattentive drivers and it's worked so far. Not used it off road so don't know how good it is for that.
Very easy to mount - very light (460g all in) which is important on a race bike where you can pay $$$$ to say a few ounces on other components.
Not a cheap light but output can't be compared to an LED or 'standard' battery light.
Wait to see how robust the light is over a number of months.

Purchased At:   Wiggle.co.uk

Bike Setup:   Condor Squadra, Campag Veloce

Submitted by Richard a Cross Country Rider from London

Date Reviewed: January 30, 2004

Strengths:    Lightweight; well built; good light; easy to fit/remove; trickle charging means you can't overcharge battery - great if you are a commuter who just wnats to plug it in and go to bed without worrying about frying your battery.

Weaknesses:    battery discharges quite quickly if you aren't using it; the velcro loop on the battery to fit it to the frame doesn't fit monoque type frames like my Marin Rift Zone; these lights do seem a bit pricey, or is just me?

Bottom Line:
Great commuter light, for serious off road at night I'd still want something with more range but for seeing and being seen across London right now it's the business.

Favorite Trail:   Colorado

Purchased At:   wiggle.co.uk

Similar Products Used:   Cateye stadium - heavy, very bright, a pain to charge-up - needs 3 hours, any more and it starts to knacker the battery!

Submitted by The grinder a Cross Country Rider from Torphins, Scotland

Date Reviewed: December 12, 2003

Strengths:    light weight, bright, easy to use.

Weaknesses:    Have not found any yet.

Bottom Line:
I had been looking into buying lights for a couple of years and after monitoring this site and others finally stepped up and bought these.
I haven't tried anything else for night riding before so I cannot compare to others.
The battery is slightly smaller than a stack of 10 floppy disks ( cigarette packet sized? )and very lightweight.
I have the light helmet mounted using Lupines mount, it works well and holds everything in place including the dimmer control on the Velcro( hook and loop ) that holds the light/mount in place.
On the road the low/dimmed setting is fine to see and be seen, offroad the 16W ( 25W halogen equivalent ) is great.
I can see everything within 5-10metres ahead of me very clearly, no black spots or dull areas, but the light will not illuminate 50 - 100metres up the route, if you wanted to see where the routes taking you. I don't know if other lights could.
This light allows me to get out in the dark which I only do due to family commitments during the day which restricts my daylight hours available to ride. In Scotland daylight hours right now are about 830 am til 330pm.
I've used in heavy rain, in low temps -5C no problems.I have not run out of power yet, I guess I haven't been riding the dark long enough 1 1/2 hours and still running strong.
Bottom line - it works well, easy to use, light weight, smart charger ( 6 hours ),helmet or bar mountable ( if you buy the additional helmet mount ).
Good piece of kit - is it better than others? - I've no idea.

Favorite Trail:   Glen Tilt, Perth

Purchased At:   £200 Wiggle ($320)

Bike Setup:   Tracer with goodies attached for going up and down in an excited manner.

Submitted by DAVE EAGLESON a Weekend Warrior from BELFAST

Date Reviewed: October 18, 2003

Strengths:    BUILD QUALITY, LIGHT WEIGHT, ATTENTION TO DETAIL

Weaknesses:    THERE ARE CHEAPER SYSTEMS OUT THERE

Bottom Line:
I USE THIS AS A HELMET LIGHT AND IT DOES THE JOB PERFECTLY. THE BATTERY PACK IS V SMALL, PROGRAMMABLE SETTINGS ARE V USEFUL TO PROLONG BATTERY POWER DURING THE NITE RIDES. A GREAT PRODUCT, MAYBE A WEE BIT TOO EXPENSIVE, BUT VERY WELL MADE NONE THE LESS

Favorite Trail:   MABIE FOREST SCOTLAND

Purchased At:   WIGGLE.CO.UK

Bike Setup:   2000 MARIN ROCK SPRINGS

Submitted by B-Dawg from Reading, PA

Date Reviewed: January 27, 2003

Strengths:    Bright as hell. this thing is blinding man. it packs a hell of a punch for its tiny size. Comes with a great helmet mount and a small battery that can fit in a pocket or hang from the bike for handlebar mounts.

Weaknesses:    it is so bright i am constantly blinding my buddies on nite rides. i hafta make sure i point it down when we are talkin so i dont piss em off.

Bottom Line:
IF ur willing to pay the high price, this thing is awesome.

Favorite Trail:   The Donut Hole