Lupine Edison 5 Lights

• Programmable capacity control
  • Excellent peripheral illumination

Submitted by Mike Henley a Cross Country Rider from UK

Date Reviewed: February 2, 2007

Strengths:    Thermonuclear brightness

Weaknesses:    Hopeless Support, battery life

Bottom Line:
The light is very bright. After a couple of months a bit of dirt appeared in the lens but otherwise OK. It is 1.5 years old and within warranty period and battery was working fine. I had the flu and didn't ride for 10 days. I left the battery on trickle just like it says in the manual. But when I came to use it the battery was dead. Nothing. I sent it back to the UK distributor and they told me blank that the battery was excluded from the warranty and I'd probably charged it wrongly. Despite a lot of haggling and explaining that it suddenly went dead suggesting a component failure I got no-where. The answer? Buy yourself another $250 battery or a new light. Personally I think that this is an unacceptable level of service and longevity for a $1000 bike light. Do yourself a favour, buy something cheaper.

Favorite Trail:   derbyshire

Purchased At:   LBS Nottingham

Bike Setup:   SWorks Stumpjumper FSR own brew

Submitted by BK from Palo Alto, CA USA

Date Reviewed: June 11, 2006

Strengths:    Build quality, design, weight, light pattern, run time.

Weaknesses:    It'll set you back ($$) but it's best in class.

Bottom Line:
After lots of research, I finally took the plunge on the Lupine Edison 5. Everything about this setup is top-notch: housing, mounting, bulb, light pattern, switch, battery, charger. It was expensive, but I have no regrets whatsoever. It's a "no excuses" product that does everything right, and it's compact and lightweight to top it all off. I did my first night ride last night and the unit surpassed all my (high) expectations. No interference with my Polar s720i HRM, which is a big plus (presumably because of the shielding afforded by the aluminum housing). Having this light has finally opened up the night hours for training. Give Todd Peterson a shout at petersonbikegear dot com and he'll take care of you.

BK

Purchased At:   www.petersonbikegear.com

Similar Products Used:   Lupine products are in a league of their own!

Bike Setup:   Road bikes (Colnago steel & Colnago C50).

Submitted by George Yung a Weekend Warrior from Hong Kong

Date Reviewed: March 17, 2006

Strengths:    Very bright and lite when new

Weaknesses:    cost and over time the light will not shine as bright

Bottom Line:
I brought this set of ligjt's from a dealer in Scottland,UK.
I was amazed at the brightness from this light.
People would stop and ask what is that some on your handle bars and what kind of battery is required.
After the first year of use, the light became less powerful and once I was out in a rain storm and the lens became cloudy on the inside.
I am on my 3rd year now with this light and in some situations I need to switch onto the 16watts power setting as that the low power is not powerful enough now.
Also the lens has start to become even more foggy.
You cannot open the head unit to clean the lens.
The bottom line is that this is a very good light from Lupine but will dime with age.

Purchased At:   in the UK

Bike Setup:   Klein attitude comp, cannodale R2000 and Trek fuel 9.5EX

Submitted by RC a Cross Country Rider from Encinitas

Date Reviewed: February 21, 2006

Strengths:    Superb workmanship; it's light, strong, incredibly bright, well thought-out and engineered.

Weaknesses:    None.

Bottom Line:
How can you go wrong with the best product in a given category?

This is one solid, reliable, bright, and well-designed light.

It's far brighter than the NightSuns I used for a long time, and much more compact and easy to use. It takes seconds to strap the light on the bar or helmet mount, and it's solid as a rock, even over rough terrain.

The battery pack is small, light, and straps anywhere, leaving the water bottle cages for water bottles.

It's not something everyone can afford, but if you use a light on a regular basis and don't want to have to hassle when putting it on every time you use it, this is the only way to go, plus it lights up the road/trail like daylight.

I've used this from the beaches of SoCal to the red rock trails in Sedona to the North Carolina woods, and nothing comes close.

I had a strange experience with the Edison when I was riding on the beach ~4AM one day, when a seagull, evidently attracted to the light, bashed into my handlebar and its wing got caught between the light and the stem; it was flapping and squawking until I finally managed to work the wing free. It left a few feathers, but I think it really liked the light! Would a lesser light have stood up to this seagull assault? No way!

Get one.