Lupine Betty Lights

A bundle of energy and tremendously bright as it is, our Betty plows even through the darkest night. When you switch it on for the first time, it does not only produce light but also this kind of wow that makes it unmistakably clear: Betty is the queen of the night. This claim is supported by 2600 measured lumens - the highest amount of light actually available from a lamp of this size in the world. To achieve such performance, Lupine uses a sophisticated and uncompromising combination of proprietary optics, highly efficient converter electronics and long-term experience in process-controlled LED control - or to cut to the chase: the addiction to light.

Submitted by RBrady a Weekend Warrior from Gilbert, AZ

Date Reviewed: November 25, 2011

Strengths:    Tons of Light, light weight.

Weaknesses:    Haven't found any yet

Bottom Line:
If you want the best. Betty is the ticket. Gretna bikes will go above and beyond to make sure your happy w purchase.

Favorite Trail:   National Trail@ South Mt Park

Purchased At:   Gretna Bikes

Similar Products Used:   Niterider, magic shine.

Bike Setup:   Santa Cruz carbon Tallboy. Banshee Skythe.

Submitted by EFMax a Weekend Warrior from UK

Date Reviewed: April 29, 2009

Strengths:    Very clean and neat. Looks are good and is pleasing on the eye. Sheer power. Battery run times. Programable output.

Weaknesses:    Price.. but you do get a lot for your money.

Bottom Line:
I have got the 18* lens now. The spread of light is wide but I am greedy and would love wider. The depth is good and it picks up everything in front of you.

The program mode is perfect, anything from stepless - your choice of fixed power settings.

Battery life was great to start with, 5.5hrs on full beam, but I have doubled the batteries and their quality to 2.6aph version and my burn time on full beam is now around 12hrs and about a whole week on the 20% flashing mode. (Not bothered about the weight)

Coupled to my HID light the off road ability is staggering.

For beam shots look here at this link..

Bottom line is simple, if they are in your budget range then you will not be disappointed, sure there are those who make their own and some companies make some cheaper, but the customer service and the quality of the product is 1st class in my opinion.

Favorite Trail:   Swinley Forest, UK

Similar Products Used:   I also have the Eclipse SMR16 30w HID (1850L) for a main beam. This is twice as bright as Lupine's Betty and 3.5x as bright as the Wilma.

Bike Setup:   VPP F/S, all mountain and light Free-Riding.

Submitted by northshoredave a Racer from ma,us

Date Reviewed: September 3, 2008

Strengths:    unbelievable brightness, excellent control, lightweight, excellent quality

Weaknesses:    as another rider mentioned the mounting can slip. I had to add some electrical tape to make the mount point a bit thicker, which fixed the problem.

Bottom Line:
This is a very, very expensive light, but you get an amazing product for the dollars. I had two requirements when I purchased it:
1) I wanted something light enough to comfortably wear on my helmet and to comfortably carry the battery in a jersey pocket (not in a camelback)
2) High brightness. Better then my old HID.

I looked around and this was the best light you could get that was still met my 1st criteria.
I was very excited to see that LEDs had made it to this level of performance. They are much nicer because they have a more uniform light and are highly adjustable. The Betty allows you to run full out for a 3.75 hour runtime (smaller battery) or at an ultra low setting for days.
To give an example I was riding with a friend who has a recent model Niterider HID and when I had mine on full blast behind him, he was riding in a shadow. Whats great though is that I could turn mine to 40% and be comprable to his HID output. My runtime also becomes something like 7-8 hours on that setting.
I will give one warning that I did have a problem with the light. Something wrong with the lamp. However, I sent it back and they had it back to me free of charge within 1 week. Its been running fine for 2 months since then. So i'll consider it a fluke unless it goes bad again.

If you can swallow the price, its one hell of a light.

Purchased At:   gretnabikes

Similar Products Used:   Niterider Storm HID

Bike Setup:   litespeed hardtail.

Submitted by Andrey Gloukhoff a Downhiller from KoP, PA, USA

Date Reviewed: January 31, 2008

Strengths:    It puts out so much light, you can put your hand in front of it and it will get warm just from the light.

Weaknesses:    Mounting could be better. If you take a hard hit, the light can slide down a bit, esp in cold weather when the rubber is less 'grippy'. This can be very very annoying on a long rough downhill.

Bottom Line:
Best light I ever had. I don't just use it for biking, I use it when working on the car, walking the dog, etc. The fact that you can set the brightness down makes it great for pretty much any scenario.

Another thing, GretnaBikes have been great. My dog managed to pull my helmet off the table with the light still attached to it and chewed up the cables and switch. Just when I thought I was out another $600 for the lampset, they fixed it up and sent it back overnight for $100.

I have no regrets about buying this light at all.

Purchased At:   gretnabikes

Submitted by Matthias a Racer from Austria

Date Reviewed: December 19, 2007

Strengths:    very light weight, Brightness, battery lifetime;

Weaknesses:    none except the price

Bottom Line:
Well I`m using the Betty 6 which I bought at a bikeshop in my town. (www.bikestar.at) I decided to use the Betty 6 as it`s lighter than the Betty 12. To achieve the same lighting times I bought an second rechargeable battery pack. Betty 6 is exactly the same as Betty 12 except of the battery pack so I don`t loose any lighting power.

Well compared to the supernova, I like the Betty best because it simply blows away any product I know.

Concerning the quality - it`s simply top notch quality made in Germany.

By the way I use the Betty for 24 h races and training. In winter I also use it for back country skiing and skitours. Even used at very low temperatures (-18°C) the battery pack has enough power for hours.

The only thing that might hinder you from buying is the price - but it`s really worth every penny.

Purchased At:   www.bikestar.at

Similar Products Used:   Supernova HID

Bike Setup:   Scott Scale LTD

Submitted by Neil a Cross Country Rider from Denver, Colorado

Date Reviewed: December 12, 2007

Strengths:    Brightness, attention to detail, mounting system

Weaknesses:    This is tough. I'll reach and say at this price, the light should include a lens cover.

Bottom Line:
I planned on using the Lupine Wilma on the helmet and was really looking to get a superwide and bright bar light that was really bright but not overly focused or reflective. Since the Wilma was so impressive, the Betty was a natural choice for the bar. It isn't too heavy (175 grams or so) and can be used on the helmet as well.

The beam width is really good and you can see to the sides with your peripheral vision- a really nice thing to have in the dark Rocky mountains at night. The reach is incredible. It can light up stuff a hundred yards away BUT not in the way a spotlight does. Unlike a really powerful spotlight, the Lupine beam is very even and diffused very effectively so it lights up the trail and trees like a high-end car headlight would. There is no reflective hotspot or rings or anything that distracts the eyes while riding.

I have tried some really nice lights but the Betty trumps them all. You expect this blinding white light at first but you will be a bit surprised that it doesn't have that reflective beam you expect but instead has a bright and evenly diffused beam that lights up so much of the trail. It really is a light that makes night riding a lot of fun. It makes me more confident and it makes me feel safer than using a HID or Halogen.

The LEDs can be dimmed to get up to 40 hours of burntime. The light can be programmed to all sort of different levels and steps. You have different power levels and different dimming levels within those power levels. There is in infinite dimming option as well. It's more customizable than any other light out there.

And of course, we have the typical German construction and design. Every detail is well thought out and the quality of the components and quality of overall construction is like no other light I have seen. Even the rubber mounting band is twice as thick as any other light that uses one and the light can be adjusted easily and stays put on the helmet or bar. I prefer it to the other mounting methods.

Lastly, Todd at gretnabikes (www.gretnabikes.com) and Larry (www.mtnhighcyclery.com) were really helpful and answered many dumb questions with patience. Larry also runs/owns a local shop and deals in really high-end bikes (Turner, Ventana, Knolly, Niner, Chumba) so when he decided to carry Lupines, I knew he was impressed by them as well. I feel good supporting these guys and I know that besides Lupine, they also have my back if something happens. However, one of the reasons I chose Lupine was their incredible record of reliability so I will probably never need any warranty help.

It was worth the money to me. I was very leery about spending more than $300 on a light at first but I got sucked in after seeing one in operson and have no regrets :)

This one get 5 Chilis even though it is expensive. It was worth the money to me and I find no weaknesses. Well, a custom lens cap (even of cheap plastic) would be nice. I leave the Wilma on the helmet since it is my night-riding helmet and hate to have a tool or tire pump smack into it one day when I'm in a rush trying to get stuff out of the car.

Purchased At:   www.mtnhighcyclery.com

Similar Products Used:   Owned Light & Motion ARC, Jet Phantom, Lume Strada. Used several Nite Rider HIDs.

Bike Setup:   Turner Spot

Studio City: Betty Dearing/Fryman Canyon TRAIL BUILD

Hey guys, I ride the Betty Dearing Trail in Studio City that starts at the top of Mulholland by Laurel Canyon alot. I ride it alot and with all that I work, sometimes in the middle of the week its all that I have time for. I owe alot to this trail, and its getting a little over grown and has a fe ... Read More »

Night riding with Lupine Betty ang GoPro

Hi, I use to ride at night one day a week. I own a GoPro Hero 2 and it doesn't works fine using old lupine lights like Nightmare or Dealextreme 1200 lumen. With 4 led magicshine light (1600 lumen claimed, 1200 real)results are acceptable, but with Lupine at 8 watt. (900 lumen) results are much be ... Read More »

Paid Spam ! Betty & NR Minewt Pro 750

[url=http://classifieds.mtbr.com/showproduct.php?product=82953&title=lupine-betty-7-kit-fully-upgraded-2fnite-rider-minewt-pro-750&cat=27]Lupine Betty 7 kit fully upgraded/Nite rider Minewt Pro 750 - Buy and Sell and Review Mountain Bikes and Accessories[/url] Fully upgraded Betty 7 and Minewt Pr ... Read More »

"Old" Betty 1850 Vs Wilma 2400? got comments?

I'm wondering how is the width of the beam. The 1850 Betty is 22 degrees I believe? and the Wilma is 26 degrees just wondering if you have seen both and have any comments ThanksRead More »

Betty R

I just talked to Lupine North America and they said they should receive Betty R in 2 - 3 weeks ... aside from an extra 1,000 lumens ( 3600 vs 2600 ) it seems to be a completely new design: [url]http://r2-bike.com/bilder/produkte/gross/Lupine-Frontdeckel-betty-r_b2.jpg[/url] [url]http://r2-b ... Read More »