Lupine Betty R 12 Lights

4.33/5 (3 Reviews)

The system of lamp head with remote control in the Betty R is unique and a World first because it’s specially designed for the requirements of a 40W lamp. The hand rests safely on the handlebar and at the push of a button our Betty switches through up to four individually customizable light levels with a maximum output of 3600 lumens. As a direct comparison, 3600 Lumens is brighter than any common Xenon car light! Betty R 12 comes with an 11.2 Ah Smartcore battery and a helmet mount; to put it on a handlebar an optional mount-set is available.

Lupine Betty R 12 Pro Review

In every shootout, there has to be a top dog. The Betty R 12 is the big brother of the Betty R 9 as it includes a 2-hour battery instead of a 1.5 hour. This year, the Lupine Betty takes the crown by a devastating landslide. They not only spec’d a 3600 lumen light but they also backed it up. This light is almost scary in brightness level and one really has to look away from the light head or risk seeing ‘stars’ for a moment. Continue reading →

Submitted by indebt a Cross Country Rider

Date Reviewed: November 16, 2013

Strengths:    At 3250 measured lumens it is insane brightness is one to behold. I may have said this before somewhere, but it is built with jewelry like precision, no plastic parts on this baby. And it's wireless remote is just awesome!!

Weaknesses:    At $1195 it isn't cheap.

Bottom Line:
I purchased two of the Betty-R-12's,, one for the bars and the other for my helmet. I programed both lamp heads to run off just one remote. At first I was having some issues with one lamp head or the other not responding to the remote on time and this was putting them out of sequence. Turns out I resolved this by holding the remote for a millisecond longer giving both lamp heads time to respond,,(just had to get a feel for the remote). I've used Lupine products for several years now and have gotten spoiled with their performance and reliability, the Betty-R-12 is no different.

On the trails the delivery of all those lumens are better than I was expecting. They are very smooth with great range and width. Also a pleasant surprise is for me is, I find the color rendition to be warmer to my eyes than my older R-5 Betty-7/Wilma-5 set up.

There are also a ton of programmable options way to many to mention but makes this light very versatile. It comes with Charger-1 which is IMO the best charger I've seen included in a bike light set period.

So yes this is an expensive product, but IMO if you want the best sometimes it will cost you. Don't know if I can mention where I purchased these products,,, but their the best people I have ever dealt with and are the North American distributer for Lupine,, i'll leave it at that.

I would like to say that i'm in no way affiliated with Lupine or any of the people where I purchased these products,, just a happy customer.

Favorite Trail:   Hoods N The Woods/ Credit Line

Purchased At:   Gretna Bikes

Similar Products Used:   NiteFlux Singe 8, NiteFlux Single 12, MS 808, Triden-X-600 Extra, Gemini Titan, Gemini Xera, Gemini Duo, Lupine Piko XPG/XM-L, Lupine Wilma TL, Lupine Wilma-5, Lupine Betty-7.

Bike Setup:   Rocky Mountain Altitude 50.

Submitted by Jan

Date Reviewed: January 25, 2013

Strengths:    Good light

Weaknesses:    To expensive

1295:- Swedish crowns

Submitted by Eric A

Date Reviewed: November 30, 2012

Strengths:    Unbelieveable amount of usable light, Cars are always flash their lights at you, burns the moss off of the trees

Weaknesses:    Costs a lot but. Speed costs $$, how fast do you want to go

Bottom Line:
For the last 5 years I have purchased a new Betty light system and sold the previous years model on eBay. I have had most all of them including several years worth of Wilmas. With last years light I had 2 light heads, both the 22 and 26 degree lamps with 2600 lumens and actually preferred the 22 over the 26 for my type of riding which is primarily on the road. I was blown away when I found out that for 2013 they had increased the output to 3600 lumens with 26 degrees. I was among the 1st adopters and quickly ordered one along with a 2400 lumen Wilma.
So I use my light for a weekly night ride with my buddies. We do around a 15 mile climb up Palomar Mountain in San Diego and then turn around and bomb back down the hill at speeds around 45-50 depending on the section of road.
With this light and honestly the last few Betty's you cannot outrun the light. More is better and this is awesome. Cars frequently flash their lights at you when on high. They have also changed the display to include a blue, green, red battery output levels as the backlight on the display. You can also now program it for 4 different output levels and also a redundant battery level like the one on the smart battery.
Last year the light I purchased came with (2) 5.6ah batteries which worked great for the way I use the light. 1.5 hours of climbing on the lowest light level and mid for the 15-18mph stuff and high for the downhill blast. One problem with this light is that you really cannot effectively use the 5.6 battery with the Betty R light head. On the highest output it draws more amperage than the small battery can deliver. What you notice is that the various battery level indicators do not read properly on the light head. Works fine on the 22W level. They only sell this with the 9 or 12 battery for a good reason. I also purchased the Wilma for the helmet as I figured that 6000 lumens would be fantastic, but it is kind of overkill. I can only give this the highest marks.