Lupine Betty 7 Lights

• Beam angle 16°
  • 1500 Lumens
  • 7.5 Ah Li-Ion Frame battery
  • 4 hours charging time

• Mtbr Bike Lights Shootout - over 50 bike lights reviewed, photographed and measured here.

Submitted by Fallingleaf a Cross Country Rider from Kent Cliffs, NY

Date Reviewed: October 20, 2011

Strengths:    Like a piece of the sun on your handlebars. Just as robust too.

Bottom Line:
    Betty on my handlebars? Not cheap.

Getting lost in the woods for a 3-4 hour midnight ride with Betty lighting my way? Priceless.

OK, when I met up with some friends one night to ride they were all adjusting thief HID lights in the parking lot just before riding when I pulled up on my bike, pointed in the same direction as they all were, turned on Betty and suddenly all of their lights were nonexistent.

Seriously, this light and Lupine lights in general are used for a wide variety of purposes, from spelunking to search and rescue. These are hardened light units that are brighter than anything else on the market. Nothing else compares. Betty is the ultimate light for night trail rides. Nothing else compare for brightness or robustness.

Favorite Trail:   Nimham

Purchased At:   Gretna Bikes

Similar Products Used:   Nitrider

Bike Setup:   Maverick ML8

Submitted by RBrady a Weekend Warrior from Gilbert, AZ Maricopa

Date Reviewed: January 31, 2011

Strengths:    Silly amount of light. built tough. excellent quality. lightweight

Weaknesses:    none. You def get what you pay for with lights

Bottom Line:
    This light blows everything else completely away. Nothing else I've owned or even seen out on the traileven comes close.

Favorite Trail:   National Trail

Purchased At:   Gretna Bikes

Similar Products Used:   Numerous Nightriders. Magicshines.

Bike Setup:   Banshee Skythe

Submitted by fipogg a Cross Country Rider from Texas

Date Reviewed: December 19, 2010

Strengths:    Lightweight, you can put it in your helmet, bright, brighter, brightest. Easy and sturdy smart charger. No accesories needed, just plug in and ride.

Weaknesses:    None.

Bottom Line:
    I'm the typical ride who has spent (wasted) money on NiteRider Lights. As of today have had four different handlebar and helmet lights, all between US$ 120.oo and US$ 400.oo and just the very last one, a Tri Newt is performing OK, maybe because of the LED technology. All the other batteries never charged to its maximum, all cable connectors differ from one model to the other one so as well the chargers. The Lupine has been the immediate response to all my concerns and hopefully will be the last light I will ever purchase.

Favorite Trail:   Colorado Trail

Purchased At:   Gretnabikes (Lupine

Similar Products Used:   Many NiteRider lights since 2001.

Bike Setup:   Santa Cruz Heckler 2010, XTR XC Kit.

Submitted by BBW a Weekend Warrior from Texas

Date Reviewed: December 4, 2010

Strengths:    Compact, very light, burn times, programable, sturdy, craftmanship, customer support, accessories, waterproof, powerful, charge is a micro computer, beam pattern
    its really amazing

Weaknesses:    Expensive; it would be nice if everyone could enjoy this light... its amazing

Bottom Line:
    This is my 3rd Lupine and after owning many good lights I decided to pull the trigger on a Lupine. Power output aside (which is obvious), their quality and attention to detail is incredible but the bottom line is, I think they have the best customer support; you can call and talk to Bill and he will take care of you.
    The other quality that Lupine has is that their lights are "crash-able". I crash! this is biking. The light is CNC machined aluminum and will not break. Only thing you will do to it is break the front glass (if so) and for around 30$ you get it with the front cap. This means no down time or the need to send your crappy plastic light when you crash and it explodes
    BTW: I can ride with this thing set at 35% output and stills put out 750 lumens for 7 hours!!
    If I would have got the Betty instead of buying and selling many lights to find the perfect light, I would have saved lots of money. If you can get it you wont regret it. I don't work for Lupine, I'm just a very happy user

Purchased At:   Gretnabikes

Similar Products Used:   Cateye, Jetlite Phantom, L&M ARC, DiNotte 200L and 600L, Lupine Wilma and Tesla

Bike Setup:   5-inch travel

Submitted by Rapidtrax a Racer

Date Reviewed: September 25, 2010

Strengths:    This light is bright. Not just Newt or Light in Motion bright. This light lays down some serious lumens. It has a compact battery and flexible mounting system.

Weaknesses:    Absolutly none. No comprimises. This light rocks!!!!

Bottom Line:
    Ok. This is short and sweet. This light rocks. The Betty puts out high lumens in a compact package. The LED technology provides a long burn time and stable operation. No blown bulbs etc if you dab. Yes it is expensive but this will be the last light you ever purchase. Don't waste your money buying lights every other year. Just buy this and be done.

I race and I admit racing places a toll on equipment but these lights (Betty and Wilma) have held up great and still look new. I recently completed the 12 hours of Bradbury race and it was due to these lights that I was able to keep my speed up and lap times down securing a third place podium slot for the team.

I dont work for Gretna nor Lupine nor am I sponsered by them. I just know (through trial and error) an excellent product when I have one.

Favorite Trail:   Night Slayer

Purchased At:   Gretnabikes.com

Similar Products Used:   Light in Motion and various other borrowed equipment for evaluation

Bike Setup:   Santa Cruz Blur Carbon XC race setup. Intense 6.6 loaded for fast big hucks, pushed suspension, the works.

Submitted by indebt a Cross Country Rider from Squamish/Whistler,B.C. Canada

Date Reviewed: April 27, 2010

Strengths:    At 1850 true lumens it's very bright,and has range i dare anyone to say they can out run.Also the Betty 2 has shaved size and weight off it's earlier model making it a great helmet light.Also a 22 degree optic option will be available soon for those who prefer a hopefully large spill.

Weaknesses:    Since price wasn't that much more than the Seca 900,and there is no competition between the two,i'm not going to use the product weakness staple (price)on this one.

Bottom Line:
    As far as i know, there is no other product out there in any price range excluding D.I.Y.that comes close in shere output,build quality,weight,and overall simplicity.And the good news is,when the next best LED's come out,you can just call your retailer and order just the upgrade kit to make sure you stay king of the trail.

Favorite Trail:   Half Nelson/Hoods N The Woods

Purchased At:   Gretna

Similar Products Used:   TridenX Extra,NiteFlux Enduro8 Single,NiteFlux Enduro12 Single,XPG Lupine Wilma.

Bike Setup:   Rocky Mountain Altitude50 XC.

Submitted by whstlr a Cross Country Rider from Australia

Date Reviewed: September 7, 2009

Strengths:    Awesome light, Battery (7.5) is great, have never run out of light on a ride yet - the way i have mine set up i should get around 5hrs+ run time at about 1200 lumen (have the pcs programming set to about 90% full power- saves battery time and as the manual states, the difference in light output is almost undetectable)

Weaknesses:    None that i can find, except the switch when it is mounted on the helmet has to be put somewhere - mine peaks through the sunvisor on my helmet!
    Another point to mention is if it is mounted on your helmet, you may consider getting another light on your bars - This light throws out so much light, that when you go to look around the next bend, your peripheral vision goes black in front of the bike.

Bottom Line:
    Will be getting another lupine - They cost a lot of money, but until you have owned one, you don't really understand the attention to detail, ease of use and awesome power that this light delivers.

i am planning to get hopefully a tesla or wilma for my helmet and place this one on my bars. BRING ON NIGHT RIDING!

I have given this light full marks, as i have never had a problem, and it is a great light. As much as i don't like saying it, you get what you pay for.

Favorite Trail:   Forrest, Anglesea & You Yangs