Light & Motion Urban 300 Lights

The Light & Motion Urban 300 packs more lumens per gram (2.3 lumens/gram) than any other light in its class. The Urban is a whopping 76% lighter than the leading all-in-one competitor and delivers 180 degrees of visibility.

Submitted by sf8000 a Weekend Warrior from San Francisco, CA USA

Date Reviewed: October 20, 2011

Strengths:    When working, it was bright with a wide throw. Easy strap design to mount to handlebars. Phat Tire has been responsive to all emails.

Weaknesses:    DOA--high beam was weak, mid-beam flickered, low beam and flash didn't turn on at all. Don't think you can replace the battery. Don't think you can replace the strap that's attached to the body of the light. Sent an email to Light and Motion asking if battery exchanges were feasible and they never responded. No contact phone number on the Light and Motion website.

Bottom Line:
I bought this wanting a light that didn't require a separate mount. I thought I wanted an integrated light and strap mount. However, my light was DOA and L&M never responded to an email I sent to them. After this experience, I don't think I'm comfortable not being able to replace parts such as the battery or the mount. The Urban 300 looks to be a 1 piece unit and if the battery becomes non-functional or if the mount becomes unusable, it doesn't look like you can replace either of those pieces.

In summary, I thought I wanted a unit that had everything engineered into one piece for simplicity but I've changed my mind. It's more practical to have a two piece mounting system (i.e. Cygolite, Serfas True series) with battery removal capability so that you can replace specific pieces if something goes wrong.

Spending $116 on a piece of equipment that was DOA was an unpleasant experience but Phat Tire has been responsive so far. I give this 1 Chili.

Purchased At:   Phat Tire (Amazon)